ki-ke 27-Jul-15
DuggaBoy 29-Jul-15
Knife2sharp 29-Jul-15
LBshooter 29-Jul-15
DTala 29-Jul-15
24-Jul-15

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
He is the free range lion king... I believe it's his first with a bow.

24-Jul-15
I've never seen a lion so dark faced; what a brute.

24-Jul-15
Check out Aaron's Facebook page for the details. You are correct, he is the free range lion king!

24-Jul-15
That's his 13th lion. His first with a bow.

24-Jul-15
That is one nasty looking beast! Congrats to Aaron!

24-Jul-15
Happy for him but why would anyone want/need 13 lions?

24-Jul-15
Legally and ethically hunted, he has already answered that for himself and that's all that matters.

24-Jul-15
Aaron _____________who? Need a name for facebook.

24-Jul-15
Buffalo read thread title

24-Jul-15
Buffalo's brain running real slow tonight ! I don't know if I have slippage or just have the clutch shoved all the way to the floor !!

25-Jul-15
Outstanding!

26-Jul-15
Congrats!

Buffalo, whatever is happening in your world, just don't take your foot off the gas!

Mark

26-Jul-15
Man that's one ugly lion. Looks like someone took a blowtorch to it.

26-Jul-15
Yeah but his first twelve we probably more normal looking. He may have been going for the Tanzanian color phase slam

26-Jul-15
Check out the thread entitled Big Big Lion for additional info on this cat...however slanted the article may be.....

26-Jul-15
Thought those were 2 different lions?

26-Jul-15
The Big big lion is a Zimbabwe cat I think. This one is Tanzania.

27-Jul-15
What's up with this lion, it looks like it's tail, paws, face and mane are burnt to a crisp. It also looks like his side is scorched.

27-Jul-15
"Happy for him but why would anyone want/need 13 lions?"

I would say for the same reason anyone would want 13- deer, turkeys, elk or any other animal. For me it would be the thrill of the hunt and the memories wrapped up in each animal.

27-Jul-15
I agree with some others - not a very pretty animal. Like shooting a bear with a huge rub on it. Then again everyone has their own version of "good looks".

That said I have no problem if he's shot 100 lions as long as it was done legally and ethically.

27-Jul-15
Did they burn the bush to get him to show himself. It does look strange. Shawn

27-Jul-15
burnt? looks like dirt to me?

27-Jul-15
If any of you ever hunted "burns" in Africa.... You would know that the animals get black markings all over their hides. I shot a zebra in a burn that was covered in black dust.

Free ranging lions look rough more then look like the South African MGM lions. They live a tough life.

It's an awesome old old trophy.

27-Jul-15
LINK: "Happy for him but why would anyone want/need 13 lions?" I would say for the same reason anyone would want 13- deer, turkeys, elk or any other animal. For me it would be the thrill of the hunt and the memories wrapped up in each animal.

Well, I don't think there is any possible way to compare taking 13 lions to 13 deer/turkey/elk, etc. Not even close. Remember, I said I am happy for him and have no issues with it - just don't get it. I was in Tanzania for several weeks and although I wasn't lion hunting, I could see how easy it could be to take a lion. Now if there is a story that makes this particular lion a target and hunt worthy that would be a different story. However, I still wouldn't want 2 let alone 13. One would be just fine.

I'm done here so as not to take away anything from this man's trophy. It's his and I'm sure he's very proud of it, as he should be.

27-Jul-15
maybe someone should start a thread entitled "What I would never want to hunt even though others may want to" or even a sister thread entitled "animals you should only kill one of" so they could put their thoughts there.

27-Jul-15
wow you have to have some stones to hunt lions, I know I could not do it.....

Congrats on a great hunt and trophy......

27-Jul-15
Bou- hilarious! I like your idea, I'll be watching for that thread!

27-Jul-15
This cannot be the same lion from the "big, big lion thread".

29-Jul-15
I am not seeing age 7-8 as he's claiming on Facebook. Tanzania has a 6 year rule on lions and think this might have a tough time getting exported out of Dar es Salaam after an aging analysis.

I hope I am wrong here. I am currently in Jo-burg waiting on a flight back home after an unsuccessful lion hunt in Western Tanzania. We passed on a very nice 4.5 year old with a solid, thick mane. We actually passed on him 4 different times in the flesh. The 6 year rule has created a gap in mature cats at the moment in Tanzania. If this cat comes back under 6, you will understand our disappointment. Again, I hope I am wrong.

I am choosing my words carefully but had 3 PHs look at the above pic and they can't see 6 in this cat (aged it at 4, if that). Perhaps more pics with better angles are out that will show his age better that the one above. One of the older PHs has close to 1,400 elephants under his belt, so I feel his judgment is good.

There is a mane-less trait out there but this cat is too bushy for that trait. There should be much more hair around the ears for a 6 year old cat.

Aaron said they passed on a better maned lion that was about age 5, and I know he knows lions better than most of us. I am just curious on the age here, as I just don't see it at the moment.

A lion with a bow is quite the feat.

P.S. The Chinese Recolonization of Africa is very apparent. We saw very few elephants in an area where they were plentiful 10 years ago. Things are changing over here and not for the better.

29-Jul-15
I'm just glad this lion didn't have a name.

29-Jul-15
Looks like old boy got caught in a grass fire.

29-Jul-15
Jeeze, there are some idiots on here.......

• Sitka Gear