RJ Hunt 28-Jul-15
md5252 28-Jul-15
David Alford 28-Jul-15
Bou'bound 28-Jul-15
bow_dude 01-Aug-15
mark land 04-Aug-15
TD 04-Aug-15
27-Jul-15
Does a serrated blade do anymore damage than a straight blade? Any pros or cons?

27-Jul-15
as long as its a razor sharp blade, and your state allows it, go for it

27-Jul-15
With more than 4000 broadheads on the ABCC master list very few are serrated. What do you suppose that means?

28-Jul-15
I think those Buzzcut serrations do from what ive seen

28-Jul-15
The buzzcuts aren't really serrated like a knife blade, and they do penetrate well and the one deer i shot with them, it really did go through like a hot knife through butter using a recurve!! According to the owner of Magnus they do penetrate better and is his go to head as well as the one he recommends for low poundage setups.

28-Jul-15
Looking at logically a Serrated blade will do more damage as it has an interrupted cut. I find this in conflict with the goal of a broadhead. In my opinion a ideal broadhead will slice through tissue with a minimum of damage. It simply severs blood vessels so the animal bleeds profusely without the trauma to put the body in to repair mode. I am not sure such a broadhead exists but it is a goal to work toward.

28-Jul-15
There is a reason why I wouldn't shoot a serrated broadhead: Serrated edges catch & pull hair, whereas smooth edges cut it cleanly or pass through. This isn't theory. I've used serrated knife blades enough to see and know how they perform when cutting hair, hide, muscle, cartilage and ligament. They are outstanding cutters when super-sharp, and I prefer them for disassembling large animals. They are relatively poor for making initial cuts through the hide and hair...leaving a ragged cut with much hair trapped in the serrations.

A broadhead traveling at high speed might act a bit differently, but I can see no advantage in the serrations vs a smooth edge.

28-Jul-15
Straight blades, IMHO, they are easier to sharpen. Although, I admit to not ever using or trying to sharpen a serrated edge broadhead, or knife for that matter. Personal choice; but agree, that as long as they're razor sharp and put in the right place, they will work. Most any broadhead will work in the perfect placement scenario. Its when its "less than perfect" for one of a lot of different reasons that I think it matters.

>>>>-------->

28-Jul-15
Serrated cut is much harder to close due to the irregular edges, so if a bad shot is made you have a better chance of the wound staying open. Just seems no one really uses them a lot.

28-Jul-15
+1 LBshooter

28-Jul-15
I don't have the scientific data to prove or substantiate my claim but all the deer I have shot with my Magnus Buzzcutt heads bled like a stuck pig and fell fast. I know shot placement had more to do with it but the serrated blade has worked VERY well for me.

28-Jul-15
Straight blade for sure. Serrated sound good in theory but I have had bad experiences with them

28-Jul-15
Push or shoot one thru a deer hide (etc) and see if it does indeed catch more hairs. My guess is that if very sharp there won't be much difference in the kill factor. I prefer straight because much easier to sharpen.

28-Jul-15
It really does not matter in the least but it does make for good thread fodder and nothing more

01-Aug-15
I have shot lopers with Magnus Buzzcuts and Magnus Stingers. Both killed the critters. The Buzzcut did much more damage. Given a choice, I will choose the Buzzcut.

04-Aug-15
Straight edges are for slicing, serrated edges are for sawing! Serrated edges can clog up and build up with hair and tallow and reduce cutting, but typically a straight edge will cut easier and cleaner.

04-Aug-15
My understanding is it depends on the tissue being cut.

Serrated in theory cuts "unsupported" lighter tissue such as lunges and vessels better, it "grabs" or holds the tissue in contact with the blade better rather than the tendency of even a sharp edge to let it move away. Supported tissue such as meat, etc. not much difference, I would think a good sharp straight edge would, um, have an edge....

• Sitka Gear