deerhaven 04-Aug-15
deerhaven 04-Aug-15
Elkguide27 04-Aug-15
ohiohunter 04-Aug-15
WallHanger 05-Aug-15
Franzen 06-Aug-15
oldgoat 06-Aug-15
28-Jul-15
Lets pretend that you had a $1300 to spend on optics and currently had a cheap crummy spotter and a cheap set of binos. What would you get for hunting western big game in areas that open and distance can be anything from 400 yards out to 10 miles (lol)....

Would you spend it all on a pair of binos? Or a spotter? Or get a good pair of binos and a cheaper spotter? Spotter First binos second? Of split it down the middle for both?

What brand and model would you get?

Lots of research and I am thinking Camera Land Demo set of vortex?

28-Jul-15
Used Swaro 10x42 binos first, used spotter when you can afford one. I use the binos for 95% of the glassing, moving to the spotter after something is located. YMMV

28-Jul-15
I really don't find that on most hunts I use my spotter too much. Find myself leaving it at home a lot. I would spend heavy on the binos ($1k range) and save the rest for a spotter next year maybe. Another thing to consider is you really need a decent tripod for the spotter as well, so figure that into the budget too.

10x42 mid grade binos are a good bet. Plenty of good choices out there these days.

Honestly I personally don't feel you can do both and be happy with both in your $ range. But you can get some very nice binos if you don't absolutely need the spotter. Good luck on your shopping, make it fun!

--Jim

28-Jul-15
Put even 10x42s on a tripod and you'll be amazed what you can see. Unless you're concerned about counting points and nailing down the score before you even try a stalk, you should be fine with binos only.

I'm not overly picky, so vast majority of the time I leave the extra weight of spotting scope behind and only use binos, preferably with tripod if I can justify the weight.

28-Jul-15
Past 400 yards, antler or horn size it hard to determine with 10x42 even on a tripod. This is what I used when Coues deer hunting last January in AZ. If I had to hunt open country, I would take a spotting scope and biosand that is what I did and could mount them on the same tripod. Heat waves will surely screw up the picture, late morning and mid day. with bio and scope.

I used a new 10x43 Nikon Monarch 3 bio and a 18-45x60 Burris Constant Focus scope. Nether breaks the bank and both do good.

Here in Colorado I just use the bios unless I am trucking around looking for pronghorn or long range deer scouting.

Good luck, Paul

28-Jul-15
Hunting out west they are both critical. I wouldn't go on a hunt without either.

If it was me I would spend the money on the binos first and get buy with the old crummy spotter for now. Buy the spotter next year.

If you do a half and half you will probably eventually want to upgrade both and end up dishing out way more money in the long run.

28-Jul-15
Euro Binos Vortex Spotting Scope.

28-Jul-15
10 x 42 binos. Camo fire just had Leicas for around $1500. I use Zeiss but the Vortex Razors are nice and in your price range. For elk I almost never use a spotter.

28-Jul-15
15's

28-Jul-15
I did what you're talking about in 02...Looked through a pair of Swaro's, went home and sold every thing I had to buy a new pair of 10X42's and never looked back...

Later a good tri-pod, then a few years ago after being in AZ a few times a pair of Swaro 15's...

28-Jul-15
For $1300 I'd buy a used Swarovski SLC 10x42 and call it a day.

28-Jul-15
Coelker

I am just putting up a pair of Leica 10x42 Geovid BFRs in mint condition up for sale. They are my wife's binos and have had little use. The glass is perfect no scratches. And little outside wear and tear. Rangefinder in them works excellent. If the button was on the right side or my wife had man hands I would be keeping these. Didn't mean to turn your thread into a sales pitch but thought it could be relevant to what you are looking for. PM me if you are interested. If not good luck figuring it out.

I have gotten by for years with Binos. A lot of times on a tripod. I have been itching to get a good scope though. Got an old Redfield spotter which is not much better if any than my Leica's or Zeiss's. I want to upgrade to a Swaro one of these years.

28-Jul-15
Vortex great warranty and for the dollars can't be beat

28-Jul-15
Maybe Vortex can't be beat for the money but it doesn't sound like he's looking for the best for the money, he's looking for the best! Vortex's warranty is no different than Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, etc. except that odds are better of having to use the warranty on a Vortex.

28-Jul-15
Buy the Leica's on campfire 10X42 $1550 No finer optics out there.

28-Jul-15
12x50 binos, a jim white tripod adapter, and a tracking pole with a 1/4-20 threaded handle for said tripod adapter.

29-Jul-15
Id get a good used spotter and binos for that price. No matter what you spend on binos, when that critter is miles away they won't do you much good. But with a good spotter you will be able to pick it apart.

I just bout a pair of 10x42 Kowa BD that retail for $699 for $190 new off ebay. Bought a pair of swaro slc 7x42 for $456 as well off there.

The Leupold gold ring spotter 12x40x60 is a great smaller packable scope.

And if you are about to get talked into the top level vortex you might as well get the top end Zen-ray stuff. Same quality at half the cost, heck some of it looks to be built in the same factory!

29-Jul-15
Used set of 15's Swarovski, all day.

29-Jul-15
What they said. Used Swaros (Personally I like the 8.5 x 42, more versatile in more weather conditions and situations) I'd look at Zeiss as well, have seen some exceptional glass from them. Blindfolded you'd never tell the difference.... =D

How are you hunting? If driving around in a truck or ATV from place to place the logistics of a spotter and tripod aren't a big deal. If packing in on your back they are. You'd best be hunting elk in sheep country.... or somebody else is packing them for you to justify them.

29-Jul-15
"For $1300 I'd buy a used Swarovski SLC 10x42 and call it a day."

Then do it again next year for the spotter...

29-Jul-15
What are you folks view of having 8x or 10x Swarovski and adding a doubler and tripod as your spotter... That is what I am thinking of doing but don't now how efficient adding and removing the doubler is... Anyone familiar with Swaro doubler?

29-Jul-15
Uh, no, the Vortex warranty is a "we don't care how it broke" warranty. I can assure you from past experience that is not how Nikon, Bushnell, or even Leupold handle things. Back your pickup over your Vortex binos and they'll smile when they send you new ones.

I'll suggest something. Cabelas Euro 10x42 binos, or the Vortex 10x42 (razor?) and a Nikon 10x30 ED spotter. About $1400 sticker for the pair.

IMO, I'd spend all the money on the binos, in 10x42. But you could do pretty darn well with that combo out west.

29-Jul-15
10x42 Swaro, and then get a used spotter once you determine how much/if you need one...

29-Jul-15
"Maybe Vortex can't be beat for the money but it doesn't sound like he's looking for the best for the money, he's looking for the best! Vortex's warranty is no different than Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, etc. except that odds are better of having to use the warranty on a Vortex."

Totally incorrect. Vortex is, as bad karma states, a full lifetime, no questions asked, send it in and we'll fix it warranty.

I've sent two pairs of steiners in and they say "ooooo, ya, we'll give you a discount on a new pair." I sent my vortex's in for a clean up, back within a week.

Can't say much about leupold so I won't.

29-Jul-15
I bit the bullet 2 years ago and bought a used pair of 10x42 Zeiss (can't tell they were ever used). I will never be able to go back, now that I have SEEN what was is out there. Best part is they came with a lifetime, of the product, transferable warranty.

29-Jul-15
Hard to beat Swarovski but in the situation you mentioned I would go with vortex so I could get both binoculars and spotter. I took a friends vortex on an elk hunt and was very impressed. If I had the money I'd get a Swarovski spotter this year and binos next. My brother has a pair of Swarovski binos with the doubler and I don't like that set up. The doubler was expensive enough I'd just take that money and get a spotter for the same price.

29-Jul-15
Zbone PM sent

29-Jul-15
Thanks Mark...

29-Jul-15
Please, please, please...look at the top end Minox. I have the 8.5x42 and they are terrific. You should be able to buy those brand new all day long for $1300. And I have not seen them give up anything to the other high end Euro glass for 2-3 times the price.

29-Jul-15
I wear Accuview Oasys daily wear contacts. I rinse of my hands and pop them in after eating my oatmeal in the morning. I hunt all day with the contacts. When I get back to the tent, I throw them away, put on my glasses and make my Mountain House dinner. My eyes stay comfortable and I don't have the inconvenience of hunting with glasses. I have a better sight picture with my peep and pins, therefore, I shoot better. I am not bothered with distorted vision that comes with fog, rain or condensation. This typically would happen at the worst possible time.

29-Jul-15
Buy the best Binos you can afford. When you have more $$$ saved up buy the best spotter you can afford. I use my binos all the time. Spotter occasionally. But that is all going to depend on the type of hunting and animal you are chasing. I suspect sheep hunters might have a different opinion.

29-Jul-15
Meopta Meostar HD's 10x42....often overlooked glass that is outstanding. Then use the remainder to find a Nikon 13-30x50 ED spotter. Should be able to get it done for just slightly over your $1300.

29-Jul-15
Cabela's Euro 12x50s with a tripod adapter. They are made by Meopta (same as Meostars with the Cabelas logo).

For a mid-level pair of binos I got my wife the Zen Ray ED3 10x42s for just over $400 and I am extremely impressed.

30-Jul-15
I agree for the money brand new the Meopta meostar HD "cabelas Euro" won't be beat. And this is coming from a guy that owns and has owned Swaro EL and SLT and Zeiss FL T.

Good deals on Euro glass are out there, you just have to look hard.

Euro glass used to be the only way to go, but asian glass has caught up quite a bit. And if you want to save $2 grand you might look at going that route. But I'd never pay $1200 for vortex binos or even more for they're spotting scope. There are companies that are selling the same quality glass for half the price. I guess your just paying more for the awesome warranty I guess. Watch ebay, allot of big optics dealers put stuff on there every day at blow out prices. Many say demo but have never been out of the box.

30-Jul-15
With $1300? I would by the Zeiss(HD)Victory FL T 8X32mm At 19 oz. in an open-box-special or lightly used with the transferable warranty intact. Awesome glass! Then if I had any leftover cash, I would pick up a quality harness.

LaGriz

30-Jul-15
I was in the same boat as you last year at this time, outfitting for CO Elk and MN Whitetail. I bought Vortex Viper 8x40 binos and the Vortex Viper 50mm spotter. Binos are great for the money, but mine are currently for sale. The spotting scope is already sold. Hated it. I already have a set of used 8x42 Swarovski Binos. Not sure what I'll end up with for a spotter yet, but it might not be anything until I can afford a Swarovski Spotter. You hear guys say it all the time, buy one of the big three and don't look back. Now I'm saying it. My advise is spend the $1300 on one of the big 3 binos (used) and get a spotter later.

31-Jul-15
I'm with Slider.. Minox APO Hg's are every bit as good as the Big 3 for 1300 or less.

31-Jul-15
I was basically in the same boat looking for glass earlier this year and I read all the hype about Vortex, Steiner, Nikon, being as good as Swarovski and I do love my previous pair of Minox.

In the end when I did a real comparison with the Swarros I knew what I one day would need to have. Got lucky and negotiated with a guy on ebay and got a used set of 10x42EL's for $1300. Or at least I felt like that was a great buy. (Don't tell me if it wasn't!! ;)

To me there is a clear difference from Swarovski to the rest. If I wasn't going Swarro and I was looking for a 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest gets my vote from my comparison shopping. They were very nice!

31-Jul-15
I would go and buy a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 for about $70.00-$95.00 and stick the other $1200.00 in my pocket. The cheap but decent 6x32 are all I would ever need and I have hunted "out west" my whole life, but then again I have never had an interest in counting inches of tine before I was ready to shoot. I just use my binos for confirming what I think I see.

31-Jul-15
My List at that price would be:

Used Swaro SLD HD's Minox APO HG germans Meopta 10x42 hd (euro's)

A cheap spotter isn't worth buying..

Once you go swaro, leica, Zeiss, or Kowa, you'll never look back.

31-Jul-15
I bought the Zeiss Classic 10 x 40's in 1990 and have never seriously even considered a different set of bino's since. I have hunted in 50 below wind chills and over 100 degrees with them, pouring rain, had to knock ice off of them, blow snow out of them, rinse sand out, and they just keep on going. They have been dropped and never miss a beat.

I keep a Nikon 10 x 40 Monarch's in the truck for when I am driving, and while they are a decent glass for the money, they don't even compare to the Zeiss.

Swaro's are fantastic as well, and if I were shopping and had the money they would be at the top of the list with Zeiss. Leica makes a fantastic piece as well. The top glasses are there for a reason.

31-Jul-15
" The top glasses are there for a reason."

Yep. They cost more simply because they are better and can command a premium price. End o' story.

Economics 101.

31-Jul-15
Awesome thanks for all the replies. I just picked up a used set of Swaros 10x42 SLC for $1000. They should be here soon. Everyone says I will not be disappointed and the they came with a carry system and a harness system worth about $150. So a pretty decent deal, not to mention I already have 300 saved for my spotter next year.

31-Jul-15
good decision. Anyone who says the cheaper glass is just as good isn't as educated as they think they are...

31-Jul-15
Great decision you will never regret good glass coelker.

Now for anyone else out there I still have a mint pair of 10x42 leica Geovids that is the one with an excellent rangefinder included for sale for $1400 if anyone is interested. Guarenteed no scratches.

31-Jul-15
I'm saving up.....

31-Jul-15
I have a 25+ year old Leica 10x42 leicas that have been the best binocs. I have ever owned.

I have a Swarovski spotting scope but use it 90+% of the time for digiscoping for pictures in my food plots.

If I had to go with one I would spend my money on the best binoculars you could.

01-Aug-15
Swarovski EL 8x32's until my truck was broke into in New Mexico. Replaced them with Swarovski EL 10x42, but still like the 8's for archery hunting big bulls, especially in timber situations.

01-Aug-15
I bought myself a pair of Zeiss binos and a cheaper Nikon spotter. I use the binos a lot more.

02-Aug-15
WillPower400 - I'm getting ready to buy a pair of Swarovski EL Swarovision 8x32 or 10x32... The 8x32 are the ones I fell in luv with at a Cabelas in MI, although they did not have a pair of 10x32 I could compare side by side, although they did have a pair of the 10x42, but (like you) preferred the 8x32... I live in Ohio and called the Cabelas in Wheeling WV and they have a pair of the 10x32s on floor but not the 8x32 to compare, bummer... When dropping 2 grand, I'd like to have the two I'm really interested side by side to know for sure....

Anyone know of a place within a half days or so drive of NE Ohio that have Swarovski EL Swarovision 8x32 and 10x32 both in stock? ...Thanks

02-Aug-15
FWIW, heres what I do; For elk hunts and such I prefer a lighter 8x bino..and my 8x vortex vipers are a good reasonably priced option

For deer hunts with lots of glassing I either use my Swaro 10x SLC's or my Zeiss 15x both in conjunction with a mono pod or tripod.

If I bring the 10x then I usually bring my Nikon spotter too...but prefer the big 15x bino for spotting

04-Aug-15
12x50 bino's. Have tried a lot of others and these work the best. I have a pair of 15x56 also but they are big and heavy but am taking them on my mule deer hunt but not the elk hunt. I saw more game with the 12x50's than any of my hunting party the last 3 years. Maybe not in the thick woods, but where I hunt it is a little more open and I like the extra magnification.

04-Aug-15
HaHa. I got the same Zeiss binoculars from the same time period. Guess we both just dated ourselves.

I have had others but always go back to them. Have had to glue the rubber back on a couple of times but the glass is like new. Zeiss rep told me if I like I can send them in and they will clean the focus mechanism for free if I want. I never want to part with them for that long though.

They are headed to AK with me next week for goat and deer and then elk hunting.

My daughter has already put dibs on them if anything happens to me.

I would never buy anything but one of the big 3 if it were me.

04-Aug-15

04-Aug-15
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x50el that I wouldn't trade for the world. That being said I also run a pair of 10x42 vortex that are awesome for the price

04-Aug-15
Vortex for the price and warranty. They have damn good glass and only slightly inferior to the swaros glass, but at less than half the cost... But the vortex razors are 4oz lighter. Referencing 10x42's.

05-Aug-15
If only $1300 I would forget the spotter(which I did) and buy a used pair of 15x56 Swarovski SLCs. With all the new HD models coming out, these come up in classifieds every so often, just be patient they are going for around 1500 but might find the "deal".. Then may need to barrow 150 bucks for a solid tripod to put them on. Good luck.

06-Aug-15
Man I didn't know I was 40 years old already.

06-Aug-15
I carry a 10x monocular in my pocket. All I care about is being able to distinguish elk from elk rocks!

• Sitka Gear