RutNut@work 04-Aug-15
Rut Nut 04-Aug-15
Jim/WA 06-Aug-15
writer 06-Aug-15
DonVathome 08-Aug-15
DonVathome 08-Aug-15
Jack Harris 08-Aug-15
29-Jul-15
Good call. No matter what you say they will edit out to their advantage & make you & us look like slobs.

29-Jul-15
You don't need the headache.

29-Jul-15
follow up on the Bad Publicity on the Minnesota Bow Hunter and The Lion he Bow Shot and 40 hours later (they say) put down with a firearm ..... been on the news a lot lately! .....I'm sure you have seen / heard about it!

29-Jul-15
No way would a liberal news person edit anything for there own advantage !

29-Jul-15
I agree Pat, good choice. There may be a good time to make an appropriate statement on all hunters behalf though. If anyone can, you can.

This whole thing makes me sick...I cant tell you how may times already just today I've had to defend hunting as a result of this fiasco.

It's amazing how perverted the general populous is about real hunting.

29-Jul-15
First question will be along the lines of: Are you still beating your wife?

Terry

29-Jul-15
They should interview Brian Williams to get a good feel of what it is like to be in on a lion kill. I'm sure he has been "involved" in a few.

29-Jul-15
On the other hand, They will find someone to talk to. Maybe Pat could put some accurate positive information out there.

29-Jul-15
However, if Fox calls...

29-Jul-15
Good point Greg Simon.

Pat, can you do this as long as you make them agree to publish your exact statement in context without editing?

29-Jul-15
Good choice - you would be tied to the MN hunter and if he turns out to be crooked then your opinion would be tied to him.

Midwest even FOX is hammering this guy.

29-Jul-15
FOX also pointed out PETA's statement that the guy should be hung. They would be the most likely to not twist whatever statement Pat would make.

29-Jul-15
Damn Pat you can't be out-foxed good decision Lewis

29-Jul-15
FWIW - " I am almost always grateful for the opportunity to discuss the heritage, culture and discipline of bowhunting and its corresponding beneficial impact on wildlife species and habitat. However, I have no direct knowledge of the situation recently reported in the media and feel that it would be best to refrain from comment and conjecture. Thank you for the invitation. I hope that we can discuss the positive nature of bowhunting some time in the future.

Or something along those lines.

We all know that they just want to ambush you and use you as a surrogate for the dentist.

29-Jul-15
I agree with you there, Pat....damn, Megan is hot!

29-Jul-15
Tell em to call Uncle Ted.

29-Jul-15
Yeah, only with Megan...8^)

29-Jul-15
It's Megyn. You guys would be safer tackling the lion.

29-Jul-15
I have mixed feelings Pat- my initial reaction would be DO IT! Too much mis-information and one sided anti-hunting sentiment out there. Would be good to get a true hunters/sportsmen's perspective.

But I hear you- you never know what their intentions are and could get ambushed.

Also, probably prudent to wait til all the facts are out.

29-Jul-15
Yea, sounds like a set up, haters and more haters seeing who they can snag and make a fool of. I think I saw her on youtube farting , news caster farts on live tv, multiple times.

29-Jul-15
Timing of interview would make it a no win situation. "Defending the practice." Of what? Poaching? Trophy Hunting? There's been no real attempt by the media to separate legal ethical hunting practices from this alleged illegal killing. This "Cecil" incident is leaving one "heluva" media blood trail!

29-Jul-15
" Too much mis-information and one sided anti-hunting sentiment out there"

in part due to the creative editing and loony linguistics of the one-sided leftists at ABC,CBS etc

Lazy bass turds could reference any number of the hundreds of books written on the subject (but those are too difficult to take out of context)

You made the right choice

29-Jul-15
Good call ! Hope this thing settles fast. Uncle Ted x2

29-Jul-15
Honestly if they dont understand why people hunt then anything you say will be used against you. Its a lose lose.

They dont get it and never will.

29-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
You should've done the interview. You were actually ahead of Obama on their list.

29-Jul-15
My concern is who will they get as a replacement? Will that person be responsible and make appropriate statements?

29-Jul-15
YZF..........LMAO!!!!!

That's going on my fb page!

29-Jul-15
Yeah Kevin, knew it wasn't spelled incorrectly but couldn't remember how she spells it, so went alone with everybody else...8^)

My daughter's name is spelled "Maegan" and I'm the brainiac that put the "a" in there before she was born to be different...8^)

Poor girl, there were very few Maegans when she was born but shortly after the mini series "The Thornbirds" came out, then there were tons... Like most Megans, I'd bet Megyn Kelly was named during that time frame after Rachel Ward's character...

29-Jul-15
I bout choked on my lunch when I saw that pic of Obama!!!

29-Jul-15
that would be a great email response...with a 'no thanks' at the end

29-Jul-15
Good call Pat...

Now we take you viewers back to Megyn Kelly...8^)

I was wrong, she was born way before the Thornbirds... Was born 1970... Wow, hard to believe she'll be 45 in November...

29-Jul-15
Pat good call on declining interview and well stated above.

29-Jul-15
This would have got you to the same place that the reality TV show would have got you to.

Bill V.

29-Jul-15
The liberal media could twist your words no matter what you said or what your intention was. Good call to abstain.

29-Jul-15
Now a report says he didn't know it was protected. Was it protected? It lived in a park where no hunting is allowed it appears. It was a wild lion and crossed a boundary he probably didn't know existed. So it was protected within the park boundary but free and wild. It could go as it pleased. The hunter never said he didn't know it was "protected". Another example of negative journalism and terrible reporting. A possible crime in itself.

My friend made a comment that I thought was amusing and true. It pertained to a world that we live in where everybody knows the name of the lion killed in Africa but very few could name the victims of the recent slaying in SC and TN. Hmm. Media

29-Jul-15

bigeasygator's Link
I was looking for an article that tried to find one in a mainstream news source that shared a more unbiased view on hunting and came across this one on CNN. CNN also did a tremendous job covering the Knowlton rhino hunt in a very unbiased way that shed a lot of positive light on hunting. I posted it on the best outlet I had access to in order to reach the most folks I could and wrote this:

"A rather unbiased look at hunting in the wake of the killing of "Cecil" the lion. On the face of it, killing an endangered species looks bad. But when you answer the following questions, the reality is far less extreme than it's being portrayed in the media: - Do animal populations need controlled, including the number, genetic make-up, and male:female ratio? - Does the need to control animal populations extend to predators as well? - Is it better for the government to pay someone to harvest animals to meet population objectives or is it better to have someone pay to do it? If Walter Palmer did anything illegal he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Otherwise, we shouldn't be so quick to rush to judgement and should recognize that hunting has proven to be a successful tool (as the article illustrates) in establishing sustainable animal populations across the globe. That being said, Mr. Palmer (or, more specifically, his professional hunters) is no doubt guilty of poor judgement in taking a popular lion. The public backlash associated with the incident for him personally and the sport of hunting is no doubt not worth the conservation benefits the hunt provided. I'm happy to enter into a healthy, positive conversation on the subject (and have with a few other folks already). Please lets keep things friendly and constructive in the name of greater understanding."

I know I'm not necessarily going to change anyone's mind, but I do try to get people to see things from a different perspective. It would be nice if someone had a broader outlet to speak from in a similar way and we knew the story of hunting as a conservation tool wouldn't be twisted and taken out of context.

29-Jul-15
Is that leather Megyn is wearing?

29-Jul-15

orionsbrother's Link
Here's another suggestion for a potential interviewer.

29-Jul-15
Pat,

You are as sound a representative of our ranks as anyone. If you are concerned about your comments being taken out of context, you could always express that as a concern in a written response....or construct a written response that really can't be taken out of context.

Not responding is probably the safer bet.....but I would have bet on you to have represented us better than most could have.....

You know what happens when good men do nothing....

29-Jul-15
Couldn't agree more Pat!

29-Jul-15
Tell them if they pick up the tab you'll be happy to show them first hand about going there.

29-Jul-15
+1 medicinemann

29-Jul-15
Well I hope they don't call TBM in your place

29-Jul-15
"No good can come of this" seems appropriate. Good call.

29-Jul-15

KJC's Link

29-Jul-15
Admit nothing, deny everything, and blame somebody else. That would be my advice.

I

29-Jul-15
Tell them you only have one word:

FRONTAL SHOT!

wait.... that don't look right.

29-Jul-15
Buffalo,

Do you work for the Patriots or directly for Tom or Bill?

29-Jul-15
Actually pat you should do it. Otherwise they will get a real idiot.

29-Jul-15
I was listening to Laura Ingram while driving today. Thought if anyone would be skeptical of the biased reporting going on it would be a conservative commentator. I was wrong, way wrong. Her exact quote was anyone who would kill an animal like this is trying to make up for their "shortcomings" . I've heard PETA say the same thing. She said it was ok to kill a deer to "cull the heard", but "this was a lion." Pretty disappointing.

29-Jul-15
I think we should stand up for legalized hunting which include lions, elephants, polar bears if it is done in a legal, ethical, and a biologically sound manner.

I think that a lot of our conservative commentators while protecting gun rights are so out of touch with hunting and hunting role in conservation that they have no clue about it.

I would be very well prepared and accept the offer. However I would not offer an opinion on this specific topic until all of the facts are in.

29-Jul-15
I have heard several times that lions are an endangered species, but when I checked the US fish and wildlife page african lions are not mentioned. Who and where are they deemed Endangered?

29-Jul-15
Is it better to use a fixed blade or a mechanical for lion? And what make and model would you recommend?

29-Jul-15
BE A LEADER AND DO IT. ITS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY.

29-Jul-15
Pat, May God stand by your side if you choose to accept this invitation. However, I would only respond to questions that they submitted to you in advance, allowing you to prepare properly...just like our 'chosen one's press conferences.

And of course only after all the facts are in. Maybe even after you have interviewed Mr. Palmer first!

29-Jul-15
Pat dont get thunder struck by some good looking lady . stay away!!!!!!!!!

29-Jul-15
Hey Pat maybe you can talk with her about the snake in the hut and stress how large it was :> That should get the ball rolling .

29-Jul-15
Pat the snake in the hut and the buffalo are the essence. Just don't defend because we don't know the facts. The video with your kid is good too.

29-Jul-15
TBM on TV? Holy Crap Dan, that gives me shivers.

29-Jul-15
If you don't do it ted nugent will.

29-Jul-15
And it will be good for business

29-Jul-15
I think you can do it Pat. I'm guessing it's a phone interview. Right? I'd ask for them to email you the questions ahead and tell them this is ur interview ur rules. Only email questions should be ask and answered. Record it also . If they say no then I'm thinking they are up to no good and care only about their own agenda and they already know how the they want the out come to look. Ed

29-Jul-15
Good call, Pat.

It's clearly all about Cecil the lion and no matter how well you defended hunters and true bowhunters, they'd edit everything good out then splice in a few words or sentences that were totally out-of-context to make us all look like blood thirsty knuckle-dragging Neanderthals.

29-Jul-15
Sans a live format, declining the interview was the only remotely intelligent option.

29-Jul-15

29-Jul-15
Oh hell no, Good for you Pat.

29-Jul-15
jager damage is too large to fix The killing of this lion will hurt us all ! I dont even think Ted Nugent would touch this .

29-Jul-15
I would guess your odds for a fair interview would be about the same as my CO elk odds...but at least everyone here has your back. JohnB

29-Jul-15
Pat, the fact that they contacted you speaks to your position in our hunting community. I agree to pass on the invitation, although I wish someone was out there defending our passion. (I am horrible at getting my point across. I'm a master at "I wish I would have said that") This will all calm down, but right now both sides are bowed up. It's like The Bay of Pigs crisis.

29-Jul-15
Pat- I got a warning from a local media person that ABC had contacted them this morning as well, looking for a big game hunter in our area that they can interview. She's a good friend of ours, and knows that I'm in a political position. And a big hunter. Her advice (as a media person and former news anchor) was to stay far, far away from it if I got contacted. She said no matter how long they interview you, only a few seconds, cut out of context, would make it to the public. I've been interviewed hundreds of times, and rarely does a story (print or media) get written the way you think it should. It gets very frustrating, even on the simplest, non-controversial stories. It's not unusual for a reporter to already have a story put together, and the angle they want, and they're looking for the perfect quote to fit into what they've already written. Given the emotions behind this deal, I think it's a no-win situation. There may be a time for the facts at a later date. But right now, the media is taking advantage of the emotions and the craze to generate ratings. Nothing more.

30-Jul-15
Tell them you'll do it, if and when Obama resigns from office.

30-Jul-15
Sadly even Megan Kelly took the bait.

I thought she was going to cry.

Ughhhhh...

30-Jul-15
In this firestorm: Any defense of (sport) hunting, (trophy) hunting, (African) hunting, (lion) hunting or ALL hunting is going to be portrayed by the media as defending what just happened in Zimbabwe...and the shooter. The biggest pitfall would be if the shooter was/is proven to be a bad player in this lion killing, and anyone is on record defending it...or seeming to.

30-Jul-15
You should have done with one request of equal time on the air to talk about people chopping up babies in this country.

30-Jul-15
Megyn Kelly is one great looking woman.

30-Jul-15
Smart move Pat.

30-Jul-15
I also feel that Pat has the industry exposure and most importantly, the proper attitude and philosophy to be the right spokesman here. I also feel that the situation is currently way "hot" for his words to have any great impact.

I also feel that Orionsbrothers chice of interviewer is a more desirable choice than Megyn. Dark, sun kissed brunette, built to pack out elk and not afraid to get and be dirty. Megyn looks too clean. I would guess that she doesn't have one earned scar. Not for me.

30-Jul-15
Well I don't think relating this incident to the abortion issues is the way to respond as tempting as that might be., Rather I would suggest focusing whatever questions are asked back to the central issue of hunting and African conservation.

This article (link below) on safari hunting did a good job, however anyone defending African hunting better know the subject well enough to defend/defeat the objections raised by several opponents in the comments section of the article.

http://tinyurl.com/c3ysfjc

30-Jul-15
Just saw the Today shows story on the Cecil the lion. Here is how they ended it in typical liberal fashion.

"64% of lions killed in Africa end up here in the US."

No disclaimer that those lions are killed legally by lawful citizens going on an African safari. "Killed", not "hunted". Looks more like they are trying to make it sound like people from here are doing the same thing this guy did & getting away with it. For the uninformed person it could turn them into supporting something preventing the import of African game much along the lines of Ivory.

Ugh!

30-Jul-15
WE as legal hunters need to stop trying to justify the actions of a poacher !

30-Jul-15

30-Jul-15
I'm with you cityhunter.

30-Jul-15
Yeah, this media frenzy is driving me nuts calling this an endangered species... Like Keith in colorado said, when did African lions become endangered???

Just read a new spin to the story stating the "hunters" tried to destroy the radio collar... If that's true, it's getting more ugly...

30-Jul-15
All this hype about killing a lion...PLANNED PARENTHOOD IS KILLING BABIES AND SELLING SELLING BODY PARTS!!!!!

to use the words of Earl Pitts..."Wake Up America!"

30-Jul-15

Amoebus's Link
Dave A is exactly right - if you are going to be interviewed about an African lion killing and the first thing your bring up is abortion, you would have embarrassed yourself.

He is also right, that the only way to logically argue is to bring up the value of conservation (African and here) with respect to hunters and acknowledge that this case may have broken laws which is unacceptable, if true.

I like the information provided within this article (if you can get past some of the superficial wording - 'murderer' is obviously wrong, 'a--hole' I have no idea if this dentist is one or not. If you read from the second paragraph down, you might learn something):

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/lion-murderer-walt-palmer-has-done-more-for-conservatio-1720901473

30-Jul-15
I think by not doing it is a smart move. Especially without knowing the facts. It looks like it might have been a poach not a hunt. I can imagine how they would spin it. "We have Pat Lefemine from Bowsite.com here defending the position of the bowhunter". They libs will have this site shut down within an hour.

30-Jul-15
The MN hunter is no angel- in Wisconsin about 7 years ago. The hunter from Mn. had a zone D bear tag- he wanted a pope and young-don't we all? anyway he was on call lets say to a guide in Zone D who could legally guide in A-if his hunter had the tag-which he didn't. The guides group just happened to find a 6 inch track in Zone A near Clam Lake Wi-40 miles from his designated zone and 70 miles from the guides home town. I have no idea as to what the $$$$ arrangement was-but they decided to go with the big bear-they ran it and he killed his 550 pound Pope and Young-only to have it taken away from the Wisconsin DNR along with a hefty fine. It was all over are local news-this was the guy. He is a bad reflection on hunting- its to bad because no matter what is said and factual-we are all pooled as slobs. Its one of those things that's close to being legal-but not. The lure of the Giant is sometimes to much for someone and they take chances-that's what probably happened in Wisconsin and seems to have happened in Africa- but the law is the law and close doesn't count. I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

30-Jul-15
Guys why would Pat defend a Poacher scum like this wake up !!

30-Jul-15
One of the comments I found interesting...

"So I guess if Bill Cosby pays to rape women, and that money goes to fund rape crisis centers, that makes it all okay?"

It is an interesting take on how hunters fund conservation. The public will probably always see it this way.

30-Jul-15
The more you stir shit the more it stinks! Good decision not to go on air. Hopefully some real news will occur soon and push this on the back burner.

30-Jul-15
You may want to consider editing your hypothetical response before someone screen captures it and it ends up where you dont want it to be seen. And then you will not be asked for an interview, they will just print it.

30-Jul-15

KTH's embedded Photo
KTH's embedded Photo

31-Jul-15
I just heard that Cecil had his paws up and was shot in the back.....!

31-Jul-15
Yes, blame the US for all the issues in Africa. Bear in mind that the elephant population in Tanzania is down more than 60% over the last 10 years due to POACHING and the black markets created by the Chinese. The Chinese are the cheats of the world and their lack of Judeo-Christian Values coupled with their Totalitarianism will be the demise of Africa and its wildlife. It's not legal US hunters, it's China.

Oh, something else you won't hear and read in the news. China is bidding and winning government contracts all over Africa. They come-in at 50% less than the next lowest bid. Conditions of the bid? We supply the labor and you make them citizens of your country. The Chinese then grab their prisoners and then send them off to the Dark Continent. Does anyone see a problem here? Let's not forget the Chinese Air Force base I saw with my own eyes outside of Harare in 2011.

Yes media, attack the legal sportsmen of the US. They are not the problem in Africa. The problem lies in China.

Pat, smart decision not to have your words twisted by a news source. Ivan's response is perfect but you won't see that in the press.

31-Jul-15
#grassyknoll

31-Jul-15
Wow, I can't believe you turned down the All Barack Channel (ABC). That could be construed as being a racist nowadays. Anyway, good move and I don't blame you!

31-Jul-15
I wouldn't do the interview either. They'd edit me way more than the Bowsite would.

:-)

31-Jul-15

Medicinemann's Link
For everyone's consideration....written by a non-hunter, no less.

31-Jul-15
Great link, Jake! Pretty much sums it up!

31-Jul-15
SILENCE IS NOT GOLDEN

When you, or I refuse to talk to the press "WE ALL" allow the press to print what they want without being held accountable.

Talk to the press. Prior to the interview give them a prepared statement. Be positive with your talking points. Be prepared to defend your points.

If you are misquoted or taken out of context you can prove/refer back to the accuracy of your interview statement's. You then can demand a correction or a retraction of an error.

When we provide a sideline defense for our sport (our silence) we are only emboldening those who are opposed to our sport!!!

31-Jul-15
Good call.

31-Jul-15
I'm just thaksful this lion was not killed last friday or it would have totally upstaged the theater shooting that took two lives in Louisanna (or however you spell the name of that place)

02-Aug-15
We are continuing to "major in the minors" here.

Who benefits, and what changes if we get word today that the lion was legally killed on proper land with proper documentation, it was not lured off the preserve, it died within 5 minutes of the shot, and all the other allegations were false. In fact the only thing that is the same in both that new reality and the original story of lies was that the lion is dead.

it only matters to a few people (Palmer and the guys he contracted with). He now, from a legla perspective be "safe". He is still a pariah and his business and life are otherwise trashed, but he is safe legally.

Other than that it matters not to anyone else. The damage is done, the martyr-cat has served it's purpose, hunting has been vilified, etc.

No anti-hunter has ever said i support legal hunting it is the illegal stuff that i vehemently oppose.

Damage done.

02-Aug-15
Good link Medicinemann.

I used to enjoy reading the American Thinker but haven't read it in quite some time.

Unfortunately the vocal minority continue to chart much of the course of our nation.

02-Aug-15
Pat they don't give a damn about the truth, they'll ambush you and try and make you look bad too.

02-Aug-15
Pat, do it if appropriate. You are an ambassador of sorts. Well versed and common sense stricken. It'd be a great opportunity to set it right for all of hunting. God Bless

04-Aug-15
Did anyone see Cameron Haines on HLN last night? Dr. Drew had a "panel discussion" and they actually let him participate........................well, kind of! ;-) The anti's and the PETA rep got most of the air time. But he acted very professional and got some good points in. Of course they didn't give him much air time compared to the others.

04-Aug-15
Gotta love the one anti chicks comment on how hunters have killed all the grizzly bear's predators.

04-Aug-15
I missed that one. But there was plenty of mis-information!

Nice handle, BTW! ;-)

06-Aug-15
I don't identify with the trophy hunter persona very much. I'm just a meat hunter by nature, I guess. I do live under the big tent though and I have to admit, I've followed Pat's exploits over the years with great anticipation.

I listened to most of this interview with Ben Carter yesterday and thought he did an excellent job:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/08/05/big-game-hunting-cecil

06-Aug-15

writer's Link
As a link.

08-Aug-15
I like MM's written statement idea but it would have to be SHORT and very very very carefully thought out. It could do some good. A possible ending is you either all is published/quoted or none. Focus on real problem (poaching) and how hunting helps wildlife.

Other then that let this things die, it is making us look bad. We cannot win this the way it is right now. Luckily a lot of major news is somewhat fair and I see a lot of good info about the real problems, benefits of hunting and starvation there etc.

I rich American is an easy target. I wish he had not wounded it, that really hurts.

This will pass time heals all wounds.

08-Aug-15
Pat I am asking you to reconsider a response, IN WRITING and very carefully thought out - and 1/2 a page at most. There are a lot of really smart guys here that could post some ideas for you to tweak. I would be happy to but I am not educated enough on this subject.

It could be a way to use this media frenzy for some good.

The real honest truth is hunting is the greatest thing to happen to conservation and wildlife - EVER. It will be easy to show this.

I suggest a 3 prong response, pointing out poaching as the biggest problem, hunting as the best conservation effort possible and news media and many people ignoring human crimes, starvation in that country etc. and focusing on cecil instead.

08-Aug-15
Poor Megan Kelly - the "Donald" didn't have much nice to say about her after the FOX Debate. I bet Pat would treat her with more respect

• Sitka Gear