Medicinemann 01-Aug-15
Wood 01-Aug-15
climb.on 01-Aug-15
LongbowLes 01-Aug-15
TD 02-Aug-15
Bowfreak 03-Aug-15
climb.on 03-Aug-15
01-Aug-15
I bought a Leupold 1000i TBR w/DNA during the father's day sale at Cabelas. Based on all the reviews, it seemed I couldn't go wrong. I have a really old Bushnell, not the bino size but the older compact model. It generally works great with two issues. Animal in grass (forget about ranging a muley or antelope past 100yds) or longer range trees/rocks with little to no contrast beyond 300yds, I knew about that problem. Last year I missed the sale window for a new rangefinder for my elk hunt but aside from the size (like a 4" long 2x4 in your pocket) didn't have any concerns. Well the high humidity, foggy mornings and low light proved me wrong (it was a bit wetter than normal for AZ last Sept). When it counted, the rangefinder wouldn't take a reading.

Interestingly for the last few years as I looked for rangefinders given mine is getting really old, I noticed hunters complaining that the newer ones had problems taking readings that the older ones did not. It also seemed based on everyones remarks, the leupold would not have those issues.

I got it in time for the 4th of July Sunrise 3D shoot. At first it worked great outside in the dark, at camp and with clear site to targets sighting in the bows. I first noticed a problem when some pine trees made some striped shade on my bag target. Suddenly I couldn't get a reading at 40yds. It seemed the more I tried the worse it got. I event did a reset and also at one point removed the battery to restart it. No change. Once we got to the shoot the next day, I had the same problem. It worked fine in open targets when sun was out. It would not range any targets set back into the trees a few yards and once the clouds or rain set in, it only got worse. Targets behind bushes couldn't read. I had my trusty old bushnell the whole time with no issues even without using rain mode. I noticed plenty of shooters out there with all types of brands with no issues. Really annoying that my expensive rangefinder wasn't doing jack. I would mostly get dashes and occasionally when doing scan, it might read a nearby tree or the target for a second then go back to dashes.

Long story just to get to my question. Will all these new rangefinders have this kind of issue? Is this a lemon or expected behavior of a Leupold 1000i TBR w/DNA? Do any of the new ones offer the mode settings anymore (rain, reflective, >150, normal)?

I wanted to take the rangefinder to the store and exchange it to see if the new one would do this too but it appears no one sells that model anymore (guess that's why it was on sale). I am reluctant to take it to leupold for repair if indeed any of this bad operation is "normal" because then I would be stuck with it. I am off to get my refund tomorrow but now wondering if there is a good replacement brand/model (on sale of course) including another leupold (yup I am leupold fan for optics) that will work as well as my old bushnell but with improved behavior in low light, fog, low contrast yellow grass.

01-Aug-15
I bought one once. Gave me a wrong read on a known distance. Took it back, got another, worse off than the first. Got my money back, and bought a Nikon. Had it ever since. Also had a Bushnell, good rangefinder except it wouldn't read through netting in a blind unless you got really close to the window. Nikon will read when you are sitting back in the dark corner. Nikon all the way for me !

01-Aug-15
Try setting it to "last target mode" It then ranges to the last object in the sight line and not grass or stuff in between. "Last Target Mode ensures an accurate reading on the farthest object."

Just picked up a lightly used 1200 model (newer model from the 1000) and it's been dead on, clear optics, bright screen, really liking it so far, eats my old Nikon for lunch. But it will pick up sticks and grass, etc. Works much better in the last target mode IMO.

01-Aug-15
TD,

What color is the LED display.... red, black, or green?

01-Aug-15
You won't find a better company than Leupold if you have a problem with one of their products. I've got the same range finder and it is bullet proof. Just give Leupold a call. Problem will be resolved.

01-Aug-15
I have the 1200 and it's awesome. I think you have a lemon there.

01-Aug-15
I got the 1000 TBR pre DNA model and it works great. Leupold should fix you up.

02-Aug-15
Red. Great in low light. Pretty clear and bright and you can adjust the intensity as well. Angle compensating.

Only had it a couple weeks but really impressed. When my buddy picked up a 1000 (on my advice, heheheheh..."here, this is the one you need to try..") had to have one after playing around with it.... when the Nikon started dying.... a month or two on ebay and found the deal I wanted.

03-Aug-15
I have the 1000 TBR DNA. It works like a charm. Also...these rangefinders will read dead one (I assume the OP has a faulty one) on dark targets. When comparing a Leupold RX 1000 to a Nikon or a Bushnell the others will normally read less yardage at around 37 or 38 yards on black targets. Normally a few yards shy at 40 yards.

03-Aug-15
Correction, mine is the 1000 TBR DNA, not the 1200. Red display - again it's awesome.

• Sitka Gear