njbuck 03-Aug-15
HDE 03-Aug-15
Heat 03-Aug-15
Medicinemann 03-Aug-15
HeadHunter® 03-Aug-15
MathewsMan 03-Aug-15
Charlie Rehor 03-Aug-15
03-Aug-15
Guys, what is the difference between P&Y and SCI scoring? From what I can tell, SCI is basically the P&Y "Gross" score of an animal and that is its final score. P&Y then takes the deductions off the gross score and gets the "net" score and that is the animals final score. Is this right or am I missing something?

03-Aug-15
P&Y uses the B&C scoring method.

Also, you are missing the B & C/ P & Y required 60 day waiting period requirement.

03-Aug-15
Each scoring must be done by a certified scorer for the particular record keeping organization.

03-Aug-15
But are the methods of measuring the antlers/horns the same and the difference is SCI stops at the gross score and B/C & P/Y then subtract the deductions and come up with their net score?

03-Aug-15
SCI totals everything and that is the score, no deductions, which to me matters more because that is the true animal.

03-Aug-15
I'm pretty sure that there are differences for pronghorn antelope in respect to where the mass measurements are taken in relationship to the prong. I can't remember all of the details. I will defer to Stickflicker, Pope and Young measurer and current World Record holder.

03-Aug-15
SCI focuses on total inches of horn or bone.

By comparison, B&C and P&Y integrate a reasonably heavy dose of symmetry into their scoring method.

03-Aug-15
P&Y is North American Big Game ONLY taken with a bow and arrow only! ...all the others are irrelevant to me as a Bow Hunter here in North America! (jmho)

03-Aug-15

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
The guy who measures stuff here does B&C, P&Y, SCI as well as some others. You need to be current with whichever organization(s) they do.

SCI has some different methods for different species. Most notable would be horned game which generally is just base circumference and horn length. Something like Bison for the others gets 4 circumference measurements and deductions.

caribou is probably the most different between the different scoring types. Just "green" scoring at camp ( SCI's Secretary Alan measured Bulls) this bull taped out over 450" SCI whereas for B&C method was in the 380" class

03-Aug-15
MathewsMan and others are correct. Some animals are measured totally differently with the two systems. It's not just gross versus net.

Google the measuring sheet for Moose or MuskOx from SCI and P&Y. Totally different!

• Sitka Gear