Mike-TN 03-Aug-15
BUCKeye 03-Aug-15
lewis 04-Aug-15
BUCKeye 04-Aug-15
lewis 04-Aug-15
glacier 04-Aug-15
nutritionist 04-Aug-15
03-Aug-15
I'm planning a fall plot of alfalfa using oats or rye as a nurse crop. This plot is located in southeast IN. It has been a wet summer and I'm thinking about getting this planted soon to take advantage of rain and let the alfalfa get a good start before fall but worried that if I plant too soon, the nurse crop will grow too fast and out-compete the alfalfa. Any thoughts on ideal timing for this strategy? Thanks.

03-Aug-15
now , what ever grain you deside to use, or even other crops, leave room for alfalfa, cut rates down as a percentage of area, you may want to have a separated plot just with alfalfa and other or alone, for best growth. try planting strips of separate crops, and yes get it done soonest possible date.

03-Aug-15
I probably would not plant a nurse crop with alfalfa.... Did this past fall but probably would not again. When I clipped the alfalfa the first time it left a lot of thatch from the mature wheat that seemed to smother the alfalfa. It was not bad but I probably would go with alfalfa alone if doing it again

03-Aug-15
Mike- Great point about the thatch smothering the alfalfa. Thanks.

04-Aug-15
How many lbs.per acre ? Lewis

04-Aug-15
I was thinking 30#/acre of alfalfa and 50#/acre of oats. Mike has me thinking about not doing the oats though.

04-Aug-15
If I did the oats I would go about half that amount.Lewis

04-Aug-15
I am not familiar with your area, but here are my recommendations for Montana dryland alfalfa production: No nurse crop, or if you put in any nurse crop, only about 1/4 of the normal seeding rate. Nurse crops are just there to provide shade and wind protection to the seedling alfalfa, so I only recommend nurse crops on windblown hilltops, and even then they can have a negative effect. If you have very loose soils that are prone to erosion, a nurse crop can help hold the soil until the alfalfa gets established. If you have any moisture stress, the nurse crop ends up taking moisture away from your desired alfalfa stand.

Around here, we usually plant 8-10 pounds of alfalfa per acre. If we are drilling and very accurately placing the seed into good moisture conditions, you can get by with 5 pounds per acre on dryland without any yield penalty. A little more seed can be good insurance, but 30 pounds sounds pretty high. Check with the local experts (crop advisors or the Extension Service) for better localized information.

Timing in Montana: (your area may have different recommendations) Fall planting can be very successful IF you have adequate fall moisture or the ability to irrigate. I recommend planting before August 15 here, to try to ensure a minimum of 6 weeks of growth before significant frosts are likely to terminate growth for the winter. A dry fall or an early freeze can be disastrous for a fall planting. Spring planting around here is best done early (April to early May) to take advantage of as much of the spring rains as possible during establishment. seedling alfalfa can tolerate the light frosts we are likely to have in May in this area. Frost seeding on very cold to frozen bare ground from late November till spring thaw can be effective, but I recommend adding about 25% to the seeding rate to account for losses to rot, birds, mice, etc.

Inoculate your seed, and take care of fertilizer and liming issues before you plant. Weed control and proper plant nutrition will greatly increase the longevity of your stand.

04-Aug-15
dont use rye either plant straight...plant with 5 lbs of berseem clover or plant with 50 lbs of peas and oats

your area you can plant until september 15th but sept 1 would be preferable.

I like using berseem clover as a nurse crop as the seed size is the same as alfalfa, it looks like alfalfa in the earlier stages and grows fast. It doesn't smother or compete like some nurse crops so it is a viable option.

• Sitka Gear