huntmaster 03-Aug-15
EmbryO-klahoma 03-Aug-15
Jaeger63 03-Aug-15
huntingbob 04-Aug-15
arctichill 04-Aug-15
Kevin Dill 04-Aug-15
Owl 04-Aug-15
03-Aug-15
The anti-hunting community has been far more active (if not disingenious) at the image/misinformation/call to action than the hunting community has....but social media is here to stay (at least for the foreseeable future).

We can't ignore it. We can't hide from it. The hunting community needs to refine its message, consolidate its resources, and turn the tables.

I find it disappointing that so many Hollywood "celebrities" have carte blanche access to media which can impose an opinion over weak minded people....and I find it even more disappointing that we haven't identified pro-hunting "big names" and rallied behind them.....we need a modern day version of a "Charlton Heston" type....amongst other things.....like maybe a pro-hunting PR firm.....

03-Aug-15
Pat, It's true but it seems like we are caving in if we stop. I keep in touch with a lot of hunters both here and on Facebook, we share photos not to brag but because we like to see each others pictures, hear the stories and network on good areas/outfitters. But it is being used against us?? Tough call??

Jake, You are correct, Trumps son took some flack a while back too bad he's not more like the old man!!

03-Aug-15
I agree, we are way better off limiting our social media interaction in regards to hunting. There are too many better venues without as many negatives.

03-Aug-15
I don't think I will friend request Pig Dic

03-Aug-15
Reasons I personally don't do FB, Instagram, nor others of the type. (never have, never will) This site here and an other traditional bowhunting site are about the only place I'll converse in public...

My kids and better half do FB and some of the stuff they tell me, there is no way I'd want involved in some of the drama and goings on there... Am way to old for that stuff...

Like Jake though, would like to see some of the big time pro hunting and shooting celebrities step up to the plate. Tom Selleck would be a good ambassador and was kinda hoping he's replace Charlton Heston as NRA spokesperson, but he might be cautious of the backlash, or just have too much on his plate... We need someone better than a Nugent type though, he frightens everybody, including me...8^)

03-Aug-15
Nugent frightens everybody? His blatant honesty and charisma in telling said truth scares everybody? He tells it like it is in my opinion. I like it. But it "offends" people. Listen to what he says and you may see most of what he says is spot on. Nuge would get my vote. Agreed that we could use an Ambassador that is articulate and positively educational.

03-Aug-15
I believe we have to be out there on social media or our voice won't be heard. Everyone may not agree with what I do but most respect it.

I encourage everyone to go on Facebook and post on Deltas site their disappointment with the airline.

03-Aug-15
I was in a hunting camp that spoke pretty highly of a Hollywood celebrity that took his father on a hunt. This was years ago, but I think that it was a Barren Ground Caribou gun hunt. He was using a .45-70 with iron sights.....

......Kevin Costner

03-Aug-15
I was reading today where a different Water J. Palmer from Minneapolis was the victim of repeated hate calls on his phone. Imagine that...you didn't even do anything and you're a target. But wait...

In the interview he did not defend hunting and made a statement that 'taking pictures of live animals is a lot better than killing animals.' He's an 80 year old guy, and now he'll be blasted by pro-hunting voices calling him an idiot no doubt. Social media...the news media...and any other outlets are all a source for ammunition, for both sides. This guy did nothing wrong and he's catching it from both sides...or will.

I've never been much of a sado-maso...I mean social media guy. No FB or other personal look-at-me page anywhere. I've never had a desire to share my life online. I know plenty of people get pleasure from doing it, but sometimes they get (or cause) pain as well. Is some hunter going to get his house fire-bombed by an ARA psycho? Whose kids are subject to rejection by other kids and parents? The fallout from social media isn't always just verbal or online.

If a consensus of intolerance (of trophy hunting) is forming in the general public, glorifying it in social media simply foments and antagonizes the emotional arguments against us. I don't like it at all, and it's easy to see where it leads.

03-Aug-15
A famous man said all this technologically era will be mans demise !!!Ted

can u blame folks we give them ammo with ahole remarks like smackdown dirtnap smoked him !!! How does this show hunters as conversationalist folks on the fence see this as barbaric acts with no respect towards the game we hunt .

This isnt even the tip or the turtles head sad day

03-Aug-15
Unfollow every friend, don't accept friend requests from anybody but friends, and make your posts for friends only, and FB isn't a problem.

03-Aug-15
"So perhaps it's time to rethink our use of social media."

Or perhaps it's time hunters stop defending their lowest common denominator. Every time I make the mistake of turning on a hunting show on television I'm reminded that the majority of our problems are of our own doing.

03-Aug-15
National polls continually show that the large majority is not against hunting. They are against whatever each feels is "unsporting", which is a sliding scale. They also don't want to have their noses rubbed in it.

When a cheerleader-model with thousands of random followers posts a dead animal hero shot, you bet there will be backlash. Especially with viral dissemination. Be smart. Pick and choose who you subject to your dead animal photos. Present a positive, ethical image to the nonhunters you know and meet. Don't be a "Happiness is a steaming gut pile" ass.

We are out own worst enemies, but some among us don't understand that.

03-Aug-15
Its incredible that 2 people can look at the same picture and come away with 2 totally different views of what they saw. Lewis

03-Aug-15
"We are out own worst enemies, but some among us don't understand that." Lots of truth here.

I cringe at so many things I see fellow hunters post on social media. So many think it is still simply "us against the anti's", completely missing the point that it is the 80% of undecided people in the middle that will ultimately decide the future of hunting. I can't believe so many hunters still fail to grasp that fundamental point, but I am reminded of it many times each year.

Be smart about what you put out there, and I'd include sites like this along with Facebook etc. For example, enough with the headless turkey and skull-blasted coyote photos. I've seen people who are into trapping that actually post photos of them with their still-live "trophy" coyote/bobcat/etc with a leg-hold trap clamped onto their paw. We are bound to lose the support of more of those middle-ground folks every time one of these photos is shared. It's a different world now. The lion controversy should make that very clear.

03-Aug-15
If you think you need to hide it, you must be ashamed of it. I don't think hiding in the shadows is the way to win over public approval.

When you post a picture of a dead animal, post a picture of venison steak on the grill along with it. Post a picture of a smiling kid shooting a gun or bow and not playing video games. Make a positive connection.

I think the best defense is a great offense.

03-Aug-15
I meant Doc. LOL

03-Aug-15
Very much agree with Glacial. What exact reason is there to post pictures anyway? It cannot be about dinner and controlling populations. It has to be about a sense of accomplishment, ego, etc. Voters will never connect with that, those days are over.

I enjoy pictures, but they do nothing positive for hunting and trapping, are only a negative.

03-Aug-15
I never used any social media, sure would love some one on the street or Walmart to start some thing or make a comment to me about hunting, they would see the ugly side of man real quick. I have a short fuse for morons.

03-Aug-15
I intentionally post on FB the lead up to my hunts and scenery pics along with hunting and fishing activity pics of my kids to help show the middle 80% that we do a lot more than just go out and kill things. The only problem with that is my non-hunting friends aren't really the problem, most of them are OK with hunting, it's reaching the public that I'm not friends with that we need to reach.

03-Aug-15
Sawtooth I would agree with you if I didn't have to look at similar pictures from other people - whether that be drinking, football games, etc.

You don't like my dead animal pics and I DON'T like your drunk football OR your ugly child pics. You know what, Momma said if you don't have anything nice to say, then...

BTW No one has to be my friend on FB. They CHOOSE to be. :)

03-Aug-15
Sage, I am not your enemy. I trap and I hunt all over the world.

I would never post a picture here, or anywhere else in public view.

03-Aug-15
social media is for knuckleheads. If you use it do your self a favor and just lurk....don't post.

03-Aug-15
lou so true

03-Aug-15
Gotta love the pictures of stuffed lions on the Dentist's doorstep.

Maybe we ought to start piling boxes of Kleenex on Kimmel's studio doorstep.

#whatapussy

03-Aug-15
Guess I'm a knucklehead.

03-Aug-15
Thank god there are enough of us knuckleheads on here that are willing to post and not just lurk or there wouldn't be much to talk about.

03-Aug-15
"#whatapussy"

LOL! yep....

03-Aug-15
Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

One of our biggest problems is we are content to mind our business while the left just keeps attacking. That dynamic must cease.

I'm not a social media guy. Frankly, I hated it for a very long time. My main reason for even getting on Facebook was to crank up the volume on my POV. And the more of us who do so, the better. Otherwise, we just concede another portion of the public square to, historically, the most dangerous and destructive segment of humanity, the hysterical statist sheep.

03-Aug-15
I've been a hunter all my life. I know there are folks I am friends, acquaintances or co-workers with that are opposed to hunting. I'm careful when I talk with them to avoid things that could become controversial. Yes, they know I hunt but I don't throw it in their faces.

Social media doesn't let us be selective so I don't post much about hunting there. No sense in looking to start a no-win fight.

03-Aug-15
Part of me says, no way am I hiding what I love. Like a lot of you, I have a bunch of friends that want to see how a particular hunt turned out, via FB. Although, I'm not going to strap a buck to the hood of my truck and drive through downtown Houston like they did in the old days. I'll continue to post tasteful success photos on my FB page.

03-Aug-15
People on social media who aren't using it for business or professional purposes are idiots. They feel a need to be "heard". I guess in some way forums are the same, but I choose the topics I want to participate in. I only use LinkedIn because I work in IT, but I chose to keep my personal life private. Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way, but existence is much less stressful.

03-Aug-15
Embry-O,

You've been called worse than a knucklehead on FB. I mean where else do you go to get mole killing advice?

03-Aug-15
huntmaster, you must be thinking of a different Rick Embry. Not me, sorry.

03-Aug-15
I think the mass amount of terrible hunting shows these days have done more to discredit and bring a bad face to hunting than any amount of individuals posting there kills on social media. I used to watch the Outdoor channel and Sportsman Channel but now I can't stomach any of their shows anymore.

04-Aug-15
I too have thought about what the original post was? I think I will leave what posts on FB as " I had a time of my life" If you know me and want Pics give me your e-mail and I will share! This is some scary stuff when a guy hunts a lion and is forced out of business. I do not know all of the details of the hunt so I will just be quite and see how it all plays out.

04-Aug-15
The vast majority of hunting shows are pitiful...but not quite as bad as the advertisements at every commercial break begging "hunters" to pay high dollar to shoot a genetically mutated, caged deer. I've actually seen where pictures of a specific deer are shown chronologically from the time it was a fawn until the time it has two massive and gnarly bone growths protruding out of it's head that more closely resemble a coral reef than a pair of antlers. Plenty of props were given to all of the supplemental nutrition that helped "grow" the deer. The high price was justified because it takes so many years of selective breeding to develop a "trophy of this caliber".

There must be a big market for this type of business, because there are plenty of these operations and they love to advertise on TV. To me, this type of deer-growing business is no different than a beef feedlot. I certainly don't oppose cattle being bred, fed and slaughtered. I think if a television commercial was aired to millions though that chronicled the life of a cow from birth to slaughter, it would have a similar affect in the minds of the general public. Apparently, cattle-growers are smart enough not to do that?

04-Aug-15
As far as TV hunting shows go my usual statement is this:

"If you think Real Housewives of Beverly Hills represents most married American women, you might enjoy a hunting show and think it represents most American hunters."

I fully get the desire of many people to share their hunting activities on social media. I also understand their anger over any disapproval of it. It's their right and they're exercising it...no question. The problem arises when doing so offends people (needlessly) and builds public sentiment against hunting. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it happens. I'm suggesting that we don't win a war by continuing to do the very things which turn noncommittal people into committed anti-hunters or ARAs.

The immediate and subsequent backlash toward hunters recently is driven by the 5% extreme wackos who know how effective it is to use images to create emotion. The guys who insist on putting up countless images of killed and bloody animals on social media/the web are definitely within their rights, as is the tv hunter who 'smoked him!!!' and proceeds to piss his boxers with excitement. I think it's arguable that both groups ultimately do a lot to influence average folks and non-hunters away from liking or supporting us. Telling them all to kiss grits is fine and tough... meanwhile we're losing market share and opportunities because of public opinion.

04-Aug-15
"People on social media who aren't using it for business or professional purposes are idiots. They feel a need to be "heard". I guess in some way forums are the same, but I choose the topics I want to participate in. I only use LinkedIn because I work in IT, but I chose to keep my personal life private. Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way, but existence is much less stressful."

Knife2sharp, That's my inclination as well but, unfortunately, seeking a "less stressful" existence is not a practical strategy for maintaining a lifestyle that is subject to constant political attack.

• Sitka Gear