Bowfreak 03-Aug-15
wildwilderness 04-Aug-15
r-man 04-Aug-15
Quinn @work 04-Aug-15
Charlie Rehor 05-Aug-15
365 outdoors 05-Aug-15
patience2spare 05-Aug-15
03-Aug-15
What western states allow kids to accrue preference points prior to hunting age?

I have a group of friends who all have kids in the 0-5yrs old age range, and we are trying to accrue points so we can go hunting with our kids once they come of age. Curious what states would allow us to do that.

Thanks for the info!

03-Aug-15
I've got my kids in the points game for several states. Started when they were 12. Every state so fat requires a hunters Education number to apply.

03-Aug-15
I know a person has to be 12 to get points in Wyoming.

04-Aug-15
I do not know of any Western sate that allows that.

To get a point you have to be eligible for the permit, and in most cases already have a big game hunting licenses.

The only way I know of "building points" for an underage "hunter" is to do so in a state that allows group applications averaging total points. When the youth becomes old enough to hunt, you share the points with them in the group.

There used to be a racket in UT where you could continually reuse "Grandma's" points but they put an end to the reuse. However, if you have a non-hunting spouse, sibling, friend etc. you offer to buy them points (and license) Then when your youth is old enough, apply with that person (it will cost double on licenses and permit fees And take 2 yrs to get 1 point shared each) but that's the only way I know how now.

04-Aug-15
no such thing around here, points, non sence just go get a license and take the test if you have not before. I have no idea what you guys have to deal with in some states. I think I would move or hunt where that crap does not apply. sorry you guys have to deal with it though

04-Aug-15
the problem with elk hunting far away states with kids is they have to skip the first week or two of school and that is if you hunt early in the season. I have done it but it's hard to get arranged and they need to have good grades to make up for the time they are going to miss. When I was in my 30s and 40s I hunted with some guys kids that were in high school and college and they were all born killers.....

04-Aug-15
I started my son getting points for elk in AZ when he was 10. Kansas allows kids of any age to accrue deer points but you usually don't need that many to draw now but may in the future. In Colorado you can get points for all Big Game at age 11 IF the youth turns 12 before the season you're applying for starts. They can apply for CO Turkey points at 9. Hope that helps.

05-Aug-15
Great points! The fees required to get points could instead be put aside in an investment account so you could hunt when and where you want. Good for you thinking ahead! C

05-Aug-15
Vermont Moose you can start when the child is born. Might not be what you are looking for but is easy to do and is only $25 per year.

05-Aug-15
Last year when she was 12, I purchased points in WY for my daughter, Grace. I was amazed that points for antelope, mule deer and elk were all just $10 for youth applicants with a valid hunter safety certificate. I got a point for each specie for her for the price of an antelope point for myself!

She's already begun dreaming about what she wants to hunt first. I'm excited to give her experiences that I waited 25yrs to enjoy! Pete

• Sitka Gear