jmb 06-Aug-15
03-Aug-15
its safe to say they love your RR beans

03-Aug-15
how big is each plot my plot was mauled but not as bad as yours

03-Aug-15
Best of both worlds Pat.

03-Aug-15
plots look good Pat, I see your deer do the same as here, pound the tops , the soft fresh growth. Do your beans have a black spot at the inner edge?

03-Aug-15
Big difference!

04-Aug-15
Wow that's cool experiment. Which property is it on?

04-Aug-15
Excellent! That is the way to judge "summer traffic"! It will interesting to see which plot is a better attractant late season when they hit the beans?

05-Aug-15
looking good. my beans are fenced and I have only seen just a little bit of browse around the fence edge. I gotta find a row planter for next year!

05-Aug-15
My beans look a little worse than pic #2 (no fence). I'll leave some of them but replant most of the plots in BFO. My sunflowers got hammered worse than the soybeans.

05-Aug-15
I'm curious how high the fence is, how many wires and how far apart are the wires.

05-Aug-15
eddie c,

My fences are as follows:

The inside fence (2 strands of turbo wire) the top one is around 44'' high & the bottom one is around 18'' high.

The outside fence (1 strand of 1/2'' turbo tape) is around 26'' high.

The gap between the inside & outside fences is 3 feet.

You can use tee posts for your corners & the plastic or fiberglass step in posts in between.

Been using these fences for several years & they make a huge difference. Won't keep every deer out but it will keep most of them at bay.

05-Aug-15
I followed pats lay out except I used regular wire for all 3 strains (it was free). Seems to do the trick but. Also I'm in a area of low deer per Sq mile

05-Aug-15
Great job Pat. Beautiful plots!

06-Aug-15
thanks, t-roy. I was curious because 20 years ago I was asking permission from a landowner while he and his wife was standing in his garden. there was an electric fence between them and me,6 to7 foot tall, first strand 6" off the ground and one every 12" after that. they were standing in deer tracks the whole time. he wanted me to kill them all, laws be da**.

06-Aug-15
Those deer will eat good.

06-Aug-15
Now you see why crop damage permits are sometimes necessary for farmers.

Used to be that deer where the primary culprit. Now it's hogs.

Nice looking plots.

06-Aug-15
Nice comparison. The unfenced beans look perfect for some top seeded rape/turnips,radishes.

• Sitka Gear