Mr.C 05-Aug-15
Chief 05-Aug-15
DL 05-Aug-15
bentstick 05-Aug-15
Bear Track 05-Aug-15
TD 05-Aug-15
Mr.C 06-Aug-15
04-Aug-15
thoughts on turn lips and ears...is it a must? Ive never done this and it seems I may do more damage then good and surely dont wanna ruin a nice hide or pelt! thanks to all MikeC.. Ted Nugent for president

04-Aug-15
Too many variables in every hunt to tell you 100% to do it, but its the best way to ensure you have a good usable cape for your taxidermist. If you are somewhere you can get it in a freezer quickly, then you probably don't need to worry about it. If you are going on a guided hunt in Alaska or the Yukon your guide will most likely know how to do it. There are some videos out there, probably even something on youtube that will show you the basics. I picked up Larry Bartlett's wilderness taxidermy videos this summer and they would be a great resource for anyone wanting to learn better field care of their trophy. Where are you heading for your hunt? I'm heading to the Yukon Sept 17-29.

04-Aug-15
Thanks for the info Mr. ..im heading out of Bethel with renfro`s Alaskan Adventures sept 11-23 and have watched a few vids on you tube and it seems time consuming, 6 hours for a wolf (thats complete)toes and all,seems a moose would be easier only because of the size and no toes LOL,,tips and trick ideas welcome and thanks

MikeC....Jim Shockey for vice president

04-Aug-15
Mike,

Stop at your taxidermist for an on hands tutorial. Neither is very difficult after you see it in person. Good luck on your hunt.

05-Aug-15
GREAT idea ....I wanna talk with him about moose anyway and get an idea on how bad he`s gonna hurt me LOL Thanks Bill MikeC

05-Aug-15

Bear Track's Link
Youtube it. I'm a taxidermist also and you better have 40lbs of salt for that hide, if you can't freeze it.

05-Aug-15
I seen nothing on Taxidermy Mr Track......40 lbs good god thats alot.. we`ll have ten each.. in a bush plane 40lbs of salt dont fly pun intended haha

05-Aug-15
I think the lips and ears on a moose are fairly easy. The nose on the other hand looks like a nightmare. the skin is thin and the nostrils go way back in. I'd leave that to the pro's.

05-Aug-15
Very easy. I'm sure there's a YouTube video on it.

05-Aug-15
The process to thin the lips and nose is simple. It takes a long time to do it right without screwing it up.

05-Aug-15
Youtube, beginners taxidermy part 4&5. It's there.

05-Aug-15
carry on.... thought this was about makin' hot dogs.....

I carry several knives in the field to take care of game. For caping work hard to beat the havalon. Lots of folks use it for everything. IMO there are better knives suited to other tasks, but the havalon is perfect for fine work. Always in my pack. Mine takes both the 60 and I believe the 22 blades. Will make that job much easier.

06-Aug-15
got it now BT thanks, you have some nice bruin`s sniff n around ..funny stuff TD and I am going to carry a havalon with extra blades,no heavey knifes or steels! which I know Ill miss..the nose is my biggest concern! thanks fella`s off to watch more vids and I`m going to the taxi`s friday for a little hands on and to discuss the nose issue,pretty sure he`s gonna say salt the *&%# outta it and dont #&*! it up hahahaha

MikeC ...I think the clock is slow

• Sitka Gear