Contributors to this thread:
Elkguide27 04-Aug-15
Charlie Rehor 04-Aug-15
Elkguide27 04-Aug-15
Elkguide27 10-Aug-15
Bou'bound 10-Aug-15
Elkguide27 10-Aug-15
04-Aug-15
Heading up the Newfoundland for fly in moose and thinking about buying a bear license. Just seeing if anyone has done this and if you have seen a lot of bears while out after moose. This is a trip for moose but it would be more of a stumble upon type hunt where if we saw one we could shoot it. Just looking for some response on bear population up there. Thanks

04-Aug-15
Best chance at bears is early part of September while they are on blueberries. Check with the Outfitter as to Berry potential usually after a burn. If your hunt is in October or later they may be much harder to stumble on in the open with berries gone or they may have gone to hibernate if it's cold! Have fun! C

04-Aug-15
Thanks Charlie, Our hunt starts Oct. 1st, and as much as I want to see my wife get a bear as well a Moose I don't want to spend the extra money if it not really possible that time of year

10-Aug-15
Well we ended up getting a bear permit for while we are in Moose hunting! hopefully we stumble on one

10-Aug-15
Do it.

I did it twice and got one bear.

The problem was I did it only after doing it the year before and having a huge bear in close that I could do nothing with.

It is a very long odds deal to get one stumble upon with a bow, but it is worth the $100 to have a tag. I have been 8 times and seen bear on most trips...........but most of the bear seen are wwwwwwaaaaayyyyyyy far away.

you may find one on a kill if you go a bit later in the year and there are carcases around

10-Aug-15
Our outfitter is letting us bring a rifle in with our bows so I will probably pack the rifle each day just in case we have a chance for a bear

• Sitka Gear