wifishkiller 06-Aug-15
OTT2 06-Aug-15
MT in MO 07-Aug-15
WallHanger 09-Aug-15
WallHanger 09-Aug-15
OTT2 10-Aug-15
spike78 10-Aug-15
04-Aug-15
hello bowsiters, I've been reading the forums for awhile and just recently set up a user account. There is a lot of great information here and I hope to contribute where I can. In the mean time I am looking for some help silencing my bow it seems loud to me. A little introduction, When I was in high school I worked at a pro shop and got real in to it...then life started. I was up to date with technology then which was only 12 years ago and the Q2 was the big deal. So I decided to jump back into it and in 2013 I replaced my forge prairie fire with a Z7extreme. Big big difference technology has advanced dramatically! I tagged a bull with it that year and have done some otc deer with it since but have not put a lot of effort in to it. Until now, we moved out of city limits and put a range in the back yard and can shoot up to 70, so there is no excuse not to practice walk out back and shoot. My wife and I have been shooting 4-5 times a week since January. Now that season is 18 days away I'm making final preparations. I'm thinking I've got to silence this bow. The only "silencing " add ons are monkey tails and a 4" sims "limb saver" stabilizer on it. We used to use limb savers and cat whiskers is that out dated? Is there some newer technology to use? My bow is at 63 and 28.5 shooting a gold tip 400 xthunter w/ 100 grain tip. What are your thoughts?

05-Aug-15
If all the nuts and bolts are good and tight and you have good string silencers and vibration dampening stabilizer the only other thing I would check would be your rest . After all that if it's still too loud a heavier arrow will do wonders to cut down on the noise and increase pass through shots on those big Bulls

05-Aug-15
Heavier arrows would no doubt quiet the bow down but thats up to you. Hold the bow in your hand and tap the riser, sight, rest, etc, top to bottom and see if you can hear vibration or ratteling coming from your bow. I dont tie cat whiskers on anymore but they do quiet it down and i dont think they are outdated.

05-Aug-15
I use cat wiskers, you can also get limbsavers that will attach to your bow limbs.

05-Aug-15
I still use cat wiskers and limb savers... but then again my bow was built in 1998 :^)

05-Aug-15
honestly you could add some weight to your set up, that will quiet it the best. yarn beets rubber for silence and scent

05-Aug-15
I get a lot of comments on how guiet my bow is at the range and folks ask me what I did. I tell them I shoot a 500 gr arrow, other than that everything is pretty much like yours. Heavier arrow will make a world of difference.

05-Aug-15
Where my string contacts the rubber stop on my bow, I take these dense cotton things that my wife wipes her makeup off with and I glue it to the rubber, folding it in 4ths so no glue leaks through to the string.

Once the glue dries, I pull off all the cotton except for what stays with the glue. The cotton doesn't last long, a few months at most, but it does make a difference in my bow's noise level, especially on cold mornings which hardens up the rubber.

Don't use cotton balls, they don't work. It has to be a denser cotton than cotton balls.

05-Aug-15
Heck I still use puff balls for silencers. They work better than anything I've ever had on my string. You can take monkey tails and stickem....

05-Aug-15
Wow thank you for all the responses! A little more arrow weight looks to be the way to go and I just picked another dozen 400s dang it. I was thinking today I have some whiskers in my box and I am going to put them on. So I grabbed my bow after work and looked over the string there is a lot more serving on these set ups for the string stoppers. I used to split the string in the press, fold the rubber and center the whiskers before tieing them on to keep them from traveling. Now with all the serving i won't be able to split the string so I am thinking I'll just fold and knot the whiskers on the serving then use some heavy serving on each side to hopefully keep them from sliding. Cat whiskers, 340s, and a maxi on the string stopper(thanks for the tip idyll) and we should be able to avoid a coues ducking the arrow. Thanks!

06-Aug-15
forge prairie fire, I probably built that bow back in the day! One of Steves best by far!

06-Aug-15

OTT2's Link
I tie my cat wiskers on. Here is a link to a good video of this.

07-Aug-15
I also tie my whiskers on the string. Tried splitting the string once and doing what you did, but the whiskers didn't last long that way for some reason...

09-Aug-15

WallHanger's embedded Photo
WallHanger's embedded Photo
OTT2 I watched the video and tied mine on that way. Big difference not really a need to do anything to it. It's quiet. Thank you!

09-Aug-15
Wifishkiller I had a pse nova Mathews fX Hoyt magnatec all around the same time and there was this forge prairie fire on the rack I shot it a couple times and was impressed. I got rid of the Hoyt and Mathews made the nova in to a bow fishing rig and shot that forge killed several big game with it. Those were great bows imo. That's awesome you may have built it.

10-Aug-15
Your welcome WallHanger, I am glad it helped.

10-Aug-15
Does the bow have a quiver on it? I find that to be the noisiest part of a bow.

• Sitka Gear