richie bland 10-Aug-15
geneinidaho 10-Aug-15
JRW 10-Aug-15
petemc 10-Aug-15
Ken Taylor 10-Aug-15
Bear Track 10-Aug-15
Bullhound 10-Aug-15
09-Aug-15
I know it really doesn't matter both will work!! But i have two broad heads that are flying perfect out of my bow.. 1. GK silver flame 2.QAD Exodus full blade

I am planning on shooting the GK Silver flame at Bison.. But i can't decide on the moose.. Would you rather have that 3rd blade and a little bigger wound channel or the two blade for penetration??

my arrows are 500 grains with good foc

09-Aug-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
JT,

I took my Shiras with a Rocky Titanium 3-blade broadhead with a total arrow weight of ~395 grains.

All but the fletching passed through the bull.

Kyle

09-Aug-15
Had a clean pass through on my shiras using a 3 blade head & 405 grain arrow. Keep in mind that as big as moose are, they're relatively narrow in width. I would probably go with the GK silver flame but can see the upside to the QAD as well.

Chasin

09-Aug-15
shot my buff with 3 blade shuttle t pass thru my moose 3 blade inner loc exp pass thru 418 grain arrow

09-Aug-15
Go with 3 blade. between me and my hunting partner we have taken 6 moose with 3 blade heads. These were from slow shooting bows in the 210-235fps range. 2 pass throughs and 4 penetrated all the way through to the far shoulders or ribs. We both were shooting Easton xx75 arrows, and mine were 29 inches with a thunderhead 125.

None of our moose went farther than 40 yards once shot!

09-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Just don't hit them high and you'll sail right thru! Notice the backbone comes down as you go from middle to front. DANGER!!! Good Luck. C

09-Aug-15
Assuming you are getting descent speed on that 500 gr setup I would shoot 3 blades.

09-Aug-15
140 grain Razor Cap, 3 5 inch feathers, shot distance was 15 steps,,,,,,,,,, he did not go far..... guide wanted me to shoot at 35 yards, I said no way, have a little patience......

guide said, I would hunt with you any day,,,,,,,

total arrow weight was 485 with a 56 lb bow

10-Aug-15
I've shot 2 with exodus bh's, one shattered the front leg bone, I love these heads! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnXXxQfdTxo

10-Aug-15
Shot my Shiras bull with a 3 blade head on a 500gr arrow. Complete pass thru, bull was down within 40 yards and I never found the arrow in the snow.

10-Aug-15
I have had two different Silver Flame broadheads completely disintegrate on Bison. Heard they had some manufactoring problems for a while. Make sure you don't have any of that batch?

10-Aug-15
Richie were you using the ABS or German Kinetic silver flames??

I am using the German ones

10-Aug-15
you are correct--i was using the ABS. Were those the ones with the problems? I have taken 5 moose with three bladed heads without any trouble and a couple of bison.

10-Aug-15
34 yard shot with a 400 grain arrow tipped with a Muzzy Trocar going 285 and passed through. I would worry more about shot placement. Good luck and let us know how you do!

10-Aug-15
I shot my Canada moose with a 499-grain arrow with a two-blade Ace Standard out of a recurve. Complete pass through and the bull went around 80 yards. It took me longer to find my arrow that the bull.

10-Aug-15
Not an expert at moose but have shot two with the same 60# longbow. First, a cow @ 25 yds. liver, one lung and paunch. 720 gr. CE350 w/ Grizzly Kodiak single bevel two blade, 24% FOC. She went 250 yds.

The second, a bull @ 22 yds., double lung, 660 gr. VforceHV and Grizzly Kodiak single bevel two blade - 31.5% FOC. Arrow stopped in the opposite shoulder. He went 35 yds.

IMO, moose are not hard to kill with a shot in the boiler room. Not nearly as difficult to put down as elk.

10-Aug-15
I've killed many moose with both two blade and three blade broadheads.

Hit them broadside through the lungs and both are fine... but a two blade gives you a little more margin for error no matter what bow setup you're shooting.

10-Aug-15
I've shot 4 bulls with a bow and arrow and all with thunderheads. Every one in the lungs and not one went more than 40 yards. I've shot over 35 moose and find them pretty easy animal to kill.

10-Aug-15
I had complete pass through on my Idaho moose with the old 3 blade Muzzy. shot 18 yards, and he didn't even flinch. 15 steps or so and he was down and out. I would agree that moose are far easier to kill than elk.

• Sitka Gear