MaBow 28-Aug-15
r-man 28-Aug-15
jdrdeerslayer 30-Aug-15
mrw 11-Sep-15
jdrdeerslayer 16-Sep-15
10-Aug-15

jdrdeerslayer's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

So about 3 weeks ago I planted a brassica mix along side of my soy beans (probally 1.5 acres) and for the most part the are doing g good except it's getting invaded by these weeds. I've been battling them for 3-4 years now.so what are they and what can I do? This year like in past years I killed the plot with gly then tilled ,smoothed,seeded,and cultipack. For some reason certin areas of the plot get choked out by these. Any suggestions? Here's the plot as of yesterday....

10-Aug-15

Here's some of the weeds I'm taking about. On a plus note I've noticed in previous years it dies out quickly as it gets colder but it tends to crowd out stuff during growing season.

10-Aug-15

Crowded area pretty much the back 1/3 in the 1st pic

10-Aug-15

Crowded area pretty much the back 1/3 in the 1st pic

10-Aug-15
Ragweed.

10-Aug-15
Agree - Ragweed. Nothing to kill it without killing the brassica.. What kind of brassica? It should compete ok with ragweed, deer also browse ragweed quite readily

10-Aug-15
I don't worry too much about ragweed either, but your post brought something else to mind. If you have weeds that you can't spray, you can always use a weed wiper. For those not familiar with it, it's just a pvc pipe covered with canvas. It has weep holes drilled in it, and you fill it with a strong gly solution. The flow is regulated with a plastic water hydrant ( hose bib ) so that the canvas is always wet, but not dripping much. Mount it to a four wheeler ( mine is on a golf cart and I can regulate the height ) and just drive through the weeds , smearing the gly on the weeds as the crop is down below where it is unaffected. You can get them as big as you can handle and they are pretty cheap. It works well !

10-Aug-15
The brasicas are a combo of new zealand,turnip,winfred,whittail institute winter greens. Also I have seen the deer browse on them a bit but only when it's side by side with something they like. But like I said I have seen it dies off browns quickly usually mid to late October but it seems to crowd stuff out during growing

11-Aug-15
yep, common ragweed.

11-Aug-15
Can you spot spray it with a backpack type sprayer? Ragweed is easy to kill with glyphosate. Maybe spray it lightly & the ragweed would shield your emerging plot plants enough that some of them wouldn't get sprayed as well. Maybe the area that you are talking about is to big to effectively do this.

Those weed wipers work well if the weeds are quite a bit taller than your food plot plants or if the ground is fairly level too, but if it is rough or the terrain is uneven, it seems you "wipe" as many non target plants as the weeds.

Be thankful it's just ragweed, pigweed (water hemp) is getting to be a real bitch here!

Good luck to you!....Troy

11-Aug-15
Ya I'm gonna check it out end of week and decide what to do.. I don't have enough time at this point to replant

26-Aug-15

Well as you can see the rag weed completely took over the brassica side of my plot. At this point I'm about 99% sure I have some sort of brassica bacteria going on. This plot has been in brassicas for 7-8 years and last 2 hasn't done good. In July I soil tested.sprayed with gly, PH was perfect added appropriate fertilizer and we have even had very favorable weather ....plot grew good 1st 2-4" then rag weed takes over and brassicas just stop growing.... My beans in same field are kicking ass. I'm guessing I will have to rotate out of brassicas for a few years. Kinda bummed as everything was just perfect or so I thought....

26-Aug-15

26-Aug-15
mow that crap down, disc it under so it wont seed. try turnip or wheat this yr. don't feel bad a lot of us lost plots. mine drowned first, then dried up. 3rd times the charmer. but this time no money for lime, deer will have to deal with what grows.

26-Aug-15

It had a mixture of turnip, different types of brasscias and some winter peas...the peas are doing so so... Unfortunately I don't belive I have enough time this year this plot is right on the nh border and any time I've planted later it doesn't take....we usually get our 1st freeze around 1st week of October 2nd week latest. Here's a other pic.....as you can see some stuff under the rag weed In Some areas....

27-Aug-15
Mow the tops out of the ragweed you'll be ok not what you wanted but it'll do good luck Lewis

27-Aug-15
NEVER plant Brassicas in the same field any more than two consecutive years. A toxicity will build in the soil that will cause the issues you are having. You must rotate your planting. Based on the pics it also appears that your forage was nitrogen deficient.

KSArcher~~~

27-Aug-15
I had a soil test done tested came back at 6.7 pH and called for 500 lbs /acre of 10-10-10 which I did add. Problem I have is I don't own much acreage so kept sticking it in brassicas....now I got a issue obviously.....maybe I'll try to mow the tops off the rag weed. Probally do the whole field in beans next year. ..

27-Aug-15
you have plenty of time for winter wheat. frost wont kill that .

27-Aug-15
You guys really think oats or winter wheat would get enough growth??? I could possibly hit it with gly friday and mow and till under sunday ...or am I better off just mowing the tops off the rag weed and pray? I get a little more froth out of my sick brassics?

27-Aug-15
one reason to check the tag on all seed one buys.... some people are buying seed with higher than ideal weed counts.

I took pics recently of a popular companies product that actually has noxious weeds listed on the tag.

The weed seed count for winter greens is higher than a number of companies.

A next years solution would be to plant in April or May a smother crop and burn it down 3-4 weeks before planting. Then lightly til not very deep. Then let one more flush of weeds hit and spray off before planting. Or kill off the soil builder a week or so before planting and trying to use minimum tillage or as shallow of tillage as possible.

You also can plant a smother crop/soil builder and then kill off with glyphosate and then mearly overseed so as to not disturb the soil and bring up weed seeds.

Another thing people will see happen is if they work the ground up very loosely and then don't cultipack or have good seed to soil contact, the weeds will get ahead of the forages they are planting. I know first hand how this can be significant. I planted and cultipacked one of my trial plots and i left the larger field up to the uncles to use the bigger equipment on. They didnt beat the rain and i ended up with a weedy mess on the one not cultipacked where as the one that i packed, was a way better germination and stand.

27-Aug-15
Nutritionist.....when I planted this I sprayed waited 2 weeks then tilled under. Then waited for rain which ended up 1.5 weeks tilled again seeded and cultipacker . All was good for 1st few weeks then weeds just surpass crop. But I think you are on to something about spraying-tilling-wait -spray then seed. Big question what now for this year? Been debating spraying tomorrow night and mowing and tilling under sunday and trying some oats as a quick better than nothing fix .....or just mow off the tops of the ragweed and pray..?

27-Aug-15
You are not too late for wheat. I plant sometime in September and that is in KY

27-Aug-15
Jason I would spray it and plant oats this year. I planted oats 2 years ago in Mass on September 1st and they came up great.

27-Aug-15
Good to here mabow...thx

27-Aug-15
you can save time by broad casting wheat just be fore you disc, that will get it deep and rain wont madder for awhile,

27-Aug-15
Thx guys ...I'm gonna head up tomorrow and wack it with round up ....then Sunday mow/ till/ seed with oats....local tractor supply has plot spike oats in stock. Would be nice to let gly work a few more days but getting tight on time... Should I bother with some clover too or not worth it this late in thegame?

28-Aug-15
Thx guys ...I'm gonna head up tomorrow and wack it with round up ....then Sunday mow/ till/ seed with oats....local tractor supply has plot spike oats in stock. Would be nice to let gly work a few more days but getting tight on time... Should I bother with some clover too or not worth it this late in thegame?

28-Aug-15
Clover would be good. It won't be come up great this year but will come up nice in the spring.

28-Aug-15
dito

30-Aug-15
Well just got done....me a few buds tilled under a out a 1/2 acre of weeds and planted in oats....also laced it with some clover and chicory which I'm sure won't do much this season......rain dancing now!

11-Sep-15
Have you been back to check on the food plot? I just threw down a bunch of plot spike oats before the rains yesterday a little south of you and I was wondering how your plot is coming along.

16-Sep-15
Plot is doing well was last there Sunday the 1/2 acre of oats is 4-5" tall....amazing how fast oats grow! Peas seemed to of taken off too... (not alot of peas tho) Unfortunately no deer using any part of the plot now. Acorns started coming down in the woods and deer abandoned the plot.....turkeys seem to like the oats tho....:/ I'll snap a pick tomorrow

• Sitka Gear