Rage82 25-Aug-15
South Farm 25-Aug-15
Rage82 25-Aug-15
South Farm 25-Aug-15
Rick M 25-Aug-15
Rage82 26-Aug-15
Mule Power 27-Aug-15
14-Aug-15
Looking to book in 2018... Archery preferred...will have a rifle... Going unguided...getting a air taxi... They wanna know where we wanna go... Haven't been since 99... Photos of bulls and success of last three years would be nice to see... Thanks.

14-Aug-15
And while you guys are at it where is the best place to kill a 180" whitetail, for free, unguided DIY. Please post gps coordinates.

--Jim

14-Aug-15
Rage, I don't think you're going to get any valuable information from your post. There is a ton of work that goes into putting an unguided moose hunt together, your request is way to general with little to no research on your part.

DJ

15-Aug-15
There are areas that are draw only that have better success rates on legal bulls than your average OTC hunt.

There are also OTC areas that are better than others.

A few hours navigating AKs website can give you a lot of info. If it seems too daunting after a few hours, call fish and game with specific questions.

15-Aug-15
Don't think anyones going to give out that imfo.I agree with going on the website for Ak,and calling game/fish dept.A little work on your part should provide a good place to hunt.Your transporter doesn't have any suggestions???Not sure if he legally can suggest areas but you may want to ask

15-Aug-15
May look at some air transport services and observe what others are saying about there service ,success etc. good luck

15-Aug-15

KJC's Link
Go here. There's a moose on this island.

16-Aug-15
I posted a honest question... So none of you smart ass hunters have been on a unguided moose hunt? I thought that's what this sight was... Info for people seeking... I went unguided moose when I was 16... For my birthday ... Shot two caribou and almost a 55 inch ish moose... It was 17 years ago... I haven't paid much attention to the moose industry since... So if any of you have any valid or useful information... It would be much appreciated... And for the record... 180 inch whitetail for free... Would be in Ohio on my dads farm... Sorry you gotta wonder about petty deer problems... Thanks

16-Aug-15

Rage82's embedded Photo
Rage82's embedded Photo
Here ya go in case your calling bull shit

16-Aug-15
Is look at using prestine ventures or outdoor superstite hunt planner with mike. Both offer great hunt planning services . http://www.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner

16-Aug-15
rage..thats a 180?

16-Aug-15
British Columbia.

16-Aug-15
Rage, I agree that several that post here are pretty harsh and say things that I definitely wouldn't, but I wouldn't have come back with the reply you posted either, so I guess I am pretty passive and wouldn't say anything to anyone that I wouldn't want them to say to me. This holds true online, or in person, though it seems some guys get really big balls, when setting at a computer desk.

BUT, if you will think about it, your question was pretty brash. Meaning, it takes a LOT of work to find good OTC units, even in general, for any animal, and Alaskan moose may be the pinnacle of hard to figure out given the logistics to do so, and to simply expect another hunter to point to a specific location, or even a general spot, is asking a great deal, and is borderline foolish. Most aren't willing to simply offer up such valuable advice.

Now if you ask a more generic question about a certain unit, you may get a lot more offers to help.

Personally, I have no idea of a good Alaskan OTC hunt, if I did, I would probably try to stir you in the right direction. I have attempted to put something together for several years and seem to always end up not being confident enough in what I find to take the chance. But then again, that is what hunting is all about at times, blazing new trails and finding your own honey hole.

What I would suggest is, do some research, choose a few units, google those units, read as much as you can, look over harvest statistics, make a few calls to the local biologist or warden - I believe in Alaska they are one in the same, not positive though - then when you have narrowed down your thoughts, then ask questions. If you do this, though you will probably still get a few smartass remarks, because that is what smartasses do, you will also most likely get one or more, really good responses that can help narrow your needs tremendously.

Good luck and when you work everything out and end up shooting a 60 inch bull, if you don't mind, send me an email and let me know where you ended up hunting ;-)

17-Aug-15
172 ... Sorry about the 8 inches

17-Aug-15
Talk to either Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures or Zach at Tok Air.

17-Aug-15
The replies to your question are whats wrong with bowsite now. It seems even when some guys have no intention to help they still feel the need to chastise someone who is asking for help.

It will take a little research on your part, do like Mule Power said and start looking at the harvest stats etc. at Alaska F&G. Moose hunting is the new whitetail...

Your best option is talking to the transporters and such. The reason being is Alaska has places that are almost impossible to carry 1000 lbs of meat out on your back. I hunted Dall sheep in one of those places last year. I saw dozens of moose as we glassed for Dall sheep. Only way I would consider killing one is if I had at least 5 guys to help pack it out, it was that bad. The transporters may steer you toward units that have air strips in the same valley you should find moose so you won't have to pack it across Mountains. Goodluck and try to sort through the chaff to get the wheat you search for. Mike

17-Aug-15

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
What about the Dalton Hwy. Haul Road? Archery only on both sides. I know several do it for Caribou but not sure about the Moose.. Agree, we always have those who make problems for legit questions. Good Luck..

18-Aug-15
dont forget you`ll need to take hunter ed class to qualify for alaska starting next year and there after ..Starting your research at ADFG would be your best bet,,good luck MikeC

18-Aug-15
Problem with the best areas, there's really only one "transporter" to choose from in said areas and they have a lock down on the area essentially. If you are willing to pay for an outfitted camp then you will be fine. Otherwise access is always the biggest issue into some of the truly best areas up here.

I don't understand the negativity but I also don't see people posting specifics outside of names of outfits. Depends on what type of hunt you are looking to do as well. ATV area? Fly in stationary on a lake? Float trip? How many days? Realistic goal of a shooter size? All will influence your decision of where to go.

18-Aug-15
I have found when you have done some research first you get better answers to questions. With that said I have a few different areas I want to hunt up there. They all are different styles of hunts.

18-Aug-15
"sorry about the 8 inches''

That might be in the running for "quote of the year 2015" !!

18-Aug-15
Rage, You can always figure out who has class and who doesn't by the answers you get. Go with the positive and ignore the rest.

19-Aug-15
We used to hunt the Coldfoot portion of the haul road, but it has since been turned into a draw area with one permit south and one north of Coldfoot. Locals however still do a number on what Moose there are.

19-Aug-15
Rage, how about offering up one of those deer hunts on your Dad's farm for some solid,info on that moose hunt? Similar to a swap hunt...just a thought

20-Aug-15
PM me.....

20-Aug-15
How do I pm

20-Aug-15

Rage82's embedded Photo
Rage82's embedded Photo
Here's some of last years bucks that made it... The really wide ten I had right under me...on other side of the tree...no shot

20-Aug-15

Rage82's embedded Photo
Rage82's embedded Photo

20-Aug-15

Rage82's embedded Photo
Rage82's embedded Photo

20-Aug-15
So Maverick, how many MOUNTAINS do we need to pack this 1400 pound behemoth across to get the meat out? LOL. It sounds like the spot I hunted dalls at. I thought this hunting stuff was supposed to be fun? LOL, someone post a unit where we can chootem off the air strip! Sign me up! Mike

20-Aug-15
Mike, I have that spot, just can't tell you where it is:)

For me the research is half the fun. OK, maybe 25% of the fun.

20-Aug-15
I'm definitely interested

20-Aug-15
Select my Name, then select send Private Message. I have a location that hasn't been hunted in years, extremely remote, extremely awesome.....

20-Aug-15
OK got ya... I want to camp... Doesn't have to be the Hilton but minor comfort would be pleasant... My dad is also interested.

21-Aug-15
You'll pay a little more but look at a fully outfitted hunt with renfro or papa bear adventures

22-Aug-15
Rage82......check your PM

22-Aug-15
Rage, Call Mark Buehrer at Bowhunting Safari Consultants. 419-943-3743, 419-890-7199. I'm sure he would have some good information for you.

22-Aug-15
I still see no bulls from anyone on here... Does anyone have pics ?

22-Aug-15

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here's one. Alaska 2014

23-Aug-15
Been following this.... looking at it myself. As soon as somebody posts some definitive info I'll cut and paste and send it to 10 or 12 other of my buddies who are thinking of this hunt. But no worries guys, I'm sure they will keep it to themselves.... this being the internet and all....

23-Aug-15
Wow! I can't believe some of the poor posts that some guys posted.. I'm sorry but I have helped and been helped a ton here on the Bowsite. As for some that have posted above can see, he is getting answers to his question. He started questions 3 years before his planned hunt. I think Rage82 is going about it the right way.

Rage82 as stated above, there are Alaska Hunt Planning Services that will help you with what you are looking for.. I had the names of 2 but I can not find them. I did look and will still look. If any other guys reading this have the names of hunt planners, post a few names for him.. I can tell you that hunt planners will help you ton. Ed

23-Aug-15

Rick M's Link
Here you go.

23-Aug-15
Hey Rick... I would love to talk to the gentleman involved in your hunt.. Any information would be great

23-Aug-15
Rage,

Sorry but years of research and sworn to secrecy. Does not matter as the last I heard there is a 5 year wait to get back in to that spot anyway.

If you dig deep enough there are plenty of good transporters and spots. Stay away from the high volume operations.

23-Aug-15
Question or two.... what type of hunt are you looking for... biggest of bulls or high success on any bull? What's your budget?

23-Aug-15
Rick, We better get our names back on the books!! 2019 has a nice ring to it, let's give the elk a rest.

DJ

24-Aug-15
I spent 10 years gathering data and doing research to find a good place to take a good moose with rifle, nearly impossible to do. The mroe research I did the more it became clear to really have a great chance you need to pay top dollar to a transporter ($4k per person).

I was booked in Ricks spot for years repeats got it - basically it is now booked "for life" outfitter (great guy) basically said he could not get me in there. I called while Rick was still in AK he hunted it first.

DJ FYI I am looking to hit AK in 2016.................... interested?

24-Aug-15
40 mile air is worth a look. The problem is they only book a year at a time and returning customers get first choice. I had heard this year even there caribou hunts were booked up from returning customers this year. Sportsman air or pappa bear should warrant a look as well. I know there are a few hunt stories on Bowsite alone that used these outfits.

25-Aug-15
OK when I say do it myself I mean this... I don't need a guide... I'm willing to spend 5to 7k on this hunt OK... I want a good chance at a legal bull... 55 to 65 would be great but legal... I want a camp tent... With a way to cook and heat... I got a pack and and yatta yatta... I can shoot my bow very accurately to 50 yards. .. I've called in moose before ...in Alaska and when I lived in Maine for two years... I know its hard work and heavy gruelling labor...like I said I been there in 99 ... Opposite hunters killed a 62 incher 2 miles from camp... Took three days... I know BC I got paid to help haul the sucker... So I want some answers.

25-Aug-15

Rage82's embedded Photo
Rage82's embedded Photo
This is me in 1999 ... 17 years ago ...that lake is was called tough lake... Somewhere over the Alaska Range...had it all.. Killed two caribou... And seen six blackies... And three Shooter moose within two miles of camp

25-Aug-15
Looks like a good spot, why not go back there?? Looks moosey, you have nice elevation for glassing, you know the area already, and you even shot one there in the past.

If I know anything about moose in Alaska it is that a lot can change in an area in 3 years, that's what keeps me from suggesting anything. The "best spot" might have moose running all over today, and three bad winters or an overabundance of wolves (2 and 4 legged) can clean 'em out. Best advice I ever got pertaining to moose, as condescending as it may sound, is they are where you find them. Pick a spot; nothing ventured nothing gained! Bowsite is for sharing, true, but anybody that thinks when it comes to something as sacred as a good moose area that guys are going to line up to spill the beans all in the name of sharing, well, I think that's a pretty unrealistic, if not insulting, expectation.

25-Aug-15
Rage, I hunted with Joe Shuster with Sportsman's Air Service in 2011 and had a blast. We hunted unit 24C. Now that we know your price range, look into, as mentioned above, Papa Bear Adventures, Renfro, Mike Shannahan at the Outdoor Forums. Tok Air also has been very successful.

We are booked with Papa Bear Adventures and honestly had to book two years in advance just to get a spot.

25-Aug-15
So, you seem to be a self proclaimed expert now. So not sure why you need anyone's help.

And the demanding tone of "So I want some answers" probably took your chances of getting a little info from slim to none.

I'm betting you have a better shot at sleeping with most guys sisters before they just up and give you a moose spot in AK to have a good chance at a 55-65" moose!

Good luck with it all.

--Jim

25-Aug-15
Lol... Jim.. Your a funny guy... You got a hot sister ?

25-Aug-15
I've had several great DIY hunts in Alaska. I tend to agree with JTreeman and since I don't have any sisters, I don't have anything to offer. :-)

25-Aug-15
The place in the photo burned down ... That was some time ago... Idk what zone it was in ...couldn't tell you.

25-Aug-15
Too bad you can't remember the zone, because if it "burned down" since you were there it probably would be a really good moose area now with all the new browse. What river or town was it near? Where did you fly out of or into? Sounds like it would be a great spot if you could remember where you hunted.

25-Aug-15
Flew out of lake hood...into and through the Alaska Range ... On other side of the mountains

25-Aug-15
Aniak? Good area!

25-Aug-15
If the place in the photo burned it should be all that much better!! Since you already know everything there is to know about moose you already know that 3-10 years after a fire makes for some amazing moose habitat.

26-Aug-15
Looked into Papa Bear... Sounds like a good bet.

27-Aug-15
Try Zach at Tok Air. But he is small so there's no question you need to get a deposit down early. Same area as 40 Mile. Quality bulls.

• Sitka Gear