bpctcb 26-Aug-15
Jim Leahy 26-Aug-15
relichunter 26-Aug-15
tj 26-Aug-15
midwest 26-Aug-15
jtelarkin08 26-Aug-15
redwillow 08-Sep-15
16-Aug-15
Well trying to decide if I should take an elk trip alone this year! I'll be 67 this September and would have to drive from Alabama to South West Colorado.My hunting partner will probably not be going.Sure would like to see those mountains again.Anyone else in that situation?

16-Aug-15
Sometimes but I have 16 less years life experience and I only have to drive a county away. Probably somebody on here that would go with you! Or do like I do and make friends with somebody in the campground areas so that somebody knows general area your going too if you don't show back up to camp!

16-Aug-15
Thanks oldgoat.

16-Aug-15
I was faced with the same thing in 2013. I went. It was during all that rain and I got washed of the mountain on day 3. I was quite an experience though.

Go and have fun. Just be careful and think every thing through.

16-Aug-15
I'm going solo this year and I think you should go, too...we aren't getting any younger!

Anyways, I'll be toting a smokepole this year in what's normally my OTC archery area. I'll be driving from OK. You are welcome to set up your camp next to mine if you wish. I will spike out some overnight, but my base camp will have a hot shower available, ribeye steaks, and plenty of black coffee. PM me if you're interested.

BP

16-Aug-15
Thanks Bpctcb, Be careful and God Bless!!

16-Aug-15
bpctcb That's a really nice offer. That is one of the things that I love about Bowsite.

tl, I feel that life is short and recommend to anyone that is physically able to do the things that you enjoy when ever you can!

I am sure that you would be happier going and not being able to do everything the way you would like and not fill a tag than if you do not go.

The only thing is, you have to know your limits and I highly recommend you have a plan to get your elk out.

Good luck!

16-Aug-15
You're welcome to come join me at some point. Would love to show some respect to an 'old timer' (no offense) and show you around.

-Darryl

16-Aug-15
Thanks Darryl I really appreciate that!!

16-Aug-15
I Bow hunted Idaho last year solo for two weeks. Fantastic experience, go for it. I'll be 65 in September, don't want to miss a season, so when my hunting partners can't make it I go anyway.

16-Aug-15
Good deal Toby thanks!!

16-Aug-15
The camaraderie that surfaces on this site over and over again is truly admirable. Just having someone back at camp to talk about the day's events goes a long way.

16-Aug-15
Hey bpctbc I'm down for next year if you come out again, I like ribeyes and I'll be OTC next year!

16-Aug-15
Oldgoat, I'll be out again for sure. Ping me next summer to see what dates I'm looking at.

BP

25-Aug-15
51 this year and going solo, 22+ hour drive and will camp on my own, but I do have friends that live not too far away and can get help when I get something down, but looks like the area will not be too hard to hunt and with having help I am not as hesitant to hunt on my own as I do a lot for everything else and it is not my 1st elk or west trip either.

25-Aug-15
61 with a metal hip and I prefer hunting solo. What I've found is that no matter where I go, I meet great people in the woods. Some have become friends outside of the hunt.

Go do it, enjoy the experience and hunt as hard or as casually as you feel on that day.

25-Aug-15
Don't miss September in the Rockies....the greatest show on earth!

Good luck!

25-Aug-15
Go. Take a SPOT or similar for emergency purposes. It will allow you and your family peace of mind. The comfort of the SPOT enables me to mentally do solo hunts.

25-Aug-15
BowcrazyJRHCO stole my thunder...take a SPOT or InReach for the Family.

Hunt smarter, not harder. Enjoy your Solo time in God's Country...I know I will!

25-Aug-15
+3 on the SPOT or InReach. Peace of mind for you and the family. I don't go anywhere without mine anymore.

25-Aug-15
Good luck! I have never been Elk hunting, but I say go.

Take one of these guys up on an offer to go with you. Another option is find someone to take along who is looking to learn about elk hunting. I would love to go with you, because I have never elk hunted before. And it sounds like you have. (I other plans this fall though.)

If you go solo get an Inreach so that in an emergency you at least have some means of communication. Not a bad idea to have anyway, even if you are with someone else.

Good luck!

Kevin

25-Aug-15
Tom, I'm your age, sometimes an old guy just needs a little time alone, good luck. G-MAN.

25-Aug-15
My hunting partner blew his knee out 3 days before our CO elk hunt last fall. I didn't even think twice. I did have to adjust my decision making to be a bit more conservative and I carried an InReach so I and my family had some piece of mind. Have a great trip.

25-Aug-15
+3 on the SPOT or InReach. Peace of mind for you and the family. I don't go anywhere without mine anymore.

25-Aug-15
I am not 67...but I no longer consider that old. If you feel like you can do it..go. I hunt alone anyway having someone in camp is just somebody to talk to for a couple of hours a day while you eat and drink coffee.

25-Aug-15
IF you believe you can pack elk meat out all by yourself then I wouldn't hesitate to load up the truck and go! What would you do if you stay home but wish you were there, right?

25-Aug-15
I'll be 70 the end of this year, have hunted solo most of my life. I will be packing in a spike camp tomorrow for elk and a month later a solo bull moose hunt, and no I don't hunt near the road. The moose will be a challenge as I'm not near as tough as I used to be and the cramps and joint pain will be there! But as someone said, you only will regret not getting out there if you don't go. Hopefully I can throw the moose in a cool creek to give me time to pack it out at my slower pace.

25-Aug-15
I agree. You should go and let others know what your situation is when you arrive. You'll probably end up hunting with others anyway if you prefer.

I hunt alone quite a bit of the time. Less now than before. But I carry one of the Spot units from www.findmespot.com. If I have an emergency I can get help if needed. Or I can help others in need.

Sometimes we forget about the levels of risk we experience everyday compared to being out hunting. I strongly believe there is a much greater chance of being maimed or killed in a grocery store parking lot than anything I'll ever do off the pavement.

Have a great time!

25-Aug-15
I did it when I was 70,no problem, several folks out there offered to help me if I shot one. I am 74 now and still going but My Son-in-Law goes with me. He has only 1 arm and I had rotator cuff surgery a few months ago but We will have fun for sure

25-Aug-15
One thing to remember for any "flat lander" is to allow a day or two to acclimate to the change in altitude. Just sitting around camp a day or two at elevation before heading out to hunt can make a world of difference - especially if you end up alone. Altitude sickness doesn't hit everyone, but if it does, it can ruin your day for sure!

Plenty to see in SW Colorado as well before hiking through the mountains!

25-Aug-15
I am also going solo this year I turn 48 in October and I also have a Inreach to keep mama happy. Partners can't make it back this year but I don't think I'll ever miss another season. Good luck to all this year !!!

25-Aug-15
Hunted solo a couple of times traveling from Virginia. I reassessed my solo trips after I had a huge dead spruce tree fall only seconds after I had passed it. Made my hair stand on end. Leave a note on your vehicle telling the date and time you left it and where you are hunting. If you're staying in a NF campground, pay by the day so if something happens, the campground host will know something is up if you don't pay. Good luck.

25-Aug-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Tom,

If you have an inclination to go hunting, then GO. You do not have to get an animal, just enjoy the time in the woods. You will not regret your decision.

As others have stated though, be safe and take the necessary precautions. Nobody is invincible.

Mike

26-Aug-15
This has been an interesting thread. I've now had someone PM me and now I'm not going solo. I've made a new friend from out of state and I'm cautiously optimistic that this is going to be a great hunt; maybe the first of many.

Good luck to all this year!

BP

26-Aug-15

Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
I did a drop camp alone in 2012-son couldn't make it-outfitter wasn't real happy about it-but went along with it as long as I contacted base camp every evening- with a two way radio and stayed in touch with others on the mountain at his camps if I needed anything. It was one of the best trips I've ever had-shot a bull on day two and took a pack down everyday for 4 days until it was all back at camp- we had snow and cold so that was a plus-would do it again in a flash-I'm 55. Hunt was in the white river about 10 miles from the trail head. I didn't take any chances on anything and was extra carefully splitting wood and crossing creeks. If I do it again I will rent a satilite phone. If it was me-I'd go hunting while I can physically do it. Here was my bull -didn't think of setting a timer and getting in with it-it was at 10,300 camp was at 8000 ft about 1 mile away.

26-Aug-15
I too will be alone this year. I scheduled vacation for the whole month of September so I wouldn't have to rush. Gonna miss having someone in camp but I didn't want to be on someone else's schedule and that seems to be how it has been for me the past 3 years. I will be near Grand Junction Co so if any of you loners want to hunt a few days, pm me a message.

26-Aug-15
Thanks to everyone for the advice.My hunting partner and I were talking about elk hunting today while shooting our bows.Seems finances is the main problem.If he can't go then then I am facing more expense. We normally share all the expenses gas, food, lodging etc.Hopefully we can work something out. Thanks to All. God bless and Kill a big one!!

26-Aug-15
The only expenses you would be splitting with a partner is the gas and lodging. Food cost can't be considered since you are going to eat whether you go or not.

I assume you are talking about lodging during the trip out and back. Skip the motel and sleep in the truck. Gas is dropping right now and is nearly half what it was 4 years ago.

If you want to go, you'll make it work!

26-Aug-15
If i draw a good tag in the next 5 years i will most likely be on my own.. I am going to try to draw a mule deer tag for sure next year..

08-Sep-15
tj, I'm going alone to Hunter Wilderness up woody creek. If your in the area stop in for hunt and coffee!i have a mustang horse to do our packing. I'm 65 years and counting. 13 mi. E-NE of Aspen. Leaving SD on the morning of 9-10-15!

• Sitka Gear