bow_dude 26-Aug-15
Hawkeye 26-Aug-15
killinstuff 26-Aug-15
The Old Sarge 26-Aug-15
Butcher 26-Aug-15
RutNut@work 26-Aug-15
shade mt 27-Aug-15
19-Aug-15
Not trying to get to deep here or create a forum for people to outdo each other. Just asking an honest question. At what point when your shooting do you think to yourself, thats gonna be good enough?

I know you cant achieve perfection and I not looking for it. Personally I try to shoot 20 arrows a night, or until my arm gets tired. I usually shoot most of my arrows at 60yds, though i would never shoot that far. Tonight I shot consistent 5in groups at 60 yds, and then shot a 2in group at 30yds. I messed around and shot a 20-40-60 yd and a 10-30-50 yd group and both were under 5 inches.

I'm practicing for at a max 40yd shot on an animal and i really dont like the idea of shooting over 35. Thats just me and what I feel confident in.

Its not like im gonna pack up and quit until oct 1st but for the first time i was thinking to myself, thats gonna be good enough! And that got me to thinking, what's your good enough?

Best of luck

James

19-Aug-15
If one can do what you did every time, that would be good enough for most any hunting situation.

I have days when I can group twice that good. I also have days when I can't group half that good.

If animals would sit still and not move while the arrow is in flight, it would make shooting them much easier. :)

19-Aug-15
Lets put it this way, I never shoot bad enough to say I am not gonna hunt. Things happen when hunting and we all should strive to be the best we can be at shooting. For some that may be a paper plate from 20 to 60 yards, others feel 2"s all the way out to 40-50 yards. The most important thing is to keep the shots as close as you feel confident. I know sometimes I pass on deer at 20 yards that just don't feel right and other times do not hesitate to shoot 50 yards. It is something built into me that just gives me the green light. Shawn

19-Aug-15
You really only get ONE good shot. Make it count. I don't need to shoot that much to feel confident. 2" + or - from vitals....dead deer.

19-Aug-15
Lung size group works for me. size of lung depends on species being hunted.

19-Aug-15
If you spend 2 hrs tracking a poorly shot deer, you need more practice, If you shoot a 50lb bow with a 550g arrow and you have only a 20yrd pin, and the animal is at 45yrds, you should not take the shot, if every day you go shoot one arrow before and after work, and its less then 2" from the objective, then your good enough, you see where I'm going here.

19-Aug-15
Personally, "good enough" never enters my my mind .

I concentrate on one arrow at a time. Once the last arrow is shot, it's shot, nothing I can do about it. Likewise, I don't worry about my next arrow. I only concentrate on the arrow I'm currently shooting. Even if I'm clanking arrows , I know the next arrow could go to crap if I don't concentrate on that arrow.

So I never think "good enough". I always strive for perfection on every shot. Even though I'll never achieve perfection, I'll keep trying. In my mind, "good enough" is never good enough.

19-Aug-15
Yep, I think I know where my good enough is, just wondering about other people. Not trying to judge anyone. Just curious.

19-Aug-15
It's a really good question. I asked something similar last year and I got a lot of great suggestions. What I took away from that discussion was that when I am hunting I don't need 20 arrows in a 5" group at 60 yards. I need 1 arrow in the boiler room at some given yardage - just 1. Since then, I have put a lot more concentration on each individual shot, rather than groups of shots. The groups happen anyway. Sometimes I will even go out and just shoot one arrow. Of course, most of the time I shoot lots of arrows, just my approach is different. I have intentions (but haven't actually done it yet) of practice making "one shot" under stressful situations. For example, do pushups until I can't do anymore, then take a shot. Or hold my hands in a bucket of icewater for a minute, then make a shot. I think it would make things interesting!

19-Aug-15
Being a bit of a perfectionist, I'm not truly satisfied until I'm hitting exactly where I aim. Does that always happen? No.

19-Aug-15
For me Pie plate group at 50 Softball size at 40 Base ball at 30 Golf ball at 20

I will shoot at deer up to 50 yds depending on conditions

I spot and stalk deer in some very wide open places sometimes and u can watch deer run/ bed for hundreds of yards sometimes over 1/4 mile I will shoot at one in that condition up to whatever I practice at and feel confident.

When I am hunting deep water swamps I limit to 40 and under

90% of the days I hunt in south florida you are hunting before, during or in between afternoon thunderstorms When it is like that I only take shots that I know I can strike one good 40 and under and good shot angles Hear em crash in the water 100yds or less When the kickin stops go get em 90 degree weather with 90% humidity does not allow for the when in doubt back out You best be able to shoot, take good shots, read deer well and do what you got to do to dead him Or you gunna be a buzzard hunter and horn collector

Which I will sadly say TV has created in the younger generation of kids down here I won't get into the rest of that conversation cause it ain't good.

Have faith in your shooting have faith in your broadheads and learn to read deer

a lot of people may not agree due to the speed of bows these days but I would rather shoot a deer at 20 at a slow walk then to stop him and have him look at me and shoot at him when he wound up like a top ready to explode But things can happen in either of those choices

19-Aug-15
Like wyobullshooter said focus on one arrow make that shot count never think about next shot.

19-Aug-15
Great question! I've actually asked myself the same thing on several occasions. My thought is if there's room for improvement it's not good enough although we actually know in the hunting world it is. I don't let myself think of the pretty kill zone on an animal instead I think what happens if my only shot on a giant is between two trees. The more you push yourself the more you've paid respect to animal you're trying to harvest quickly and humanely. If I've seen it done better I push myself harder.

19-Aug-15
I don't think one is ever good enough. There is always room for improvement and plenty room for failure. I do think there is a point where one is "prepared."

19-Aug-15
I'm fairly new to the "compound thing", but since mid-July I don't shoot groups. Several times a day I go out and shoot one arrow at an un-ranged distance.

I'm consistently hitting within 2" of the dime-sized dot out to 40 yards or so. Inside 30 it's more like 1". For me, at this stage of learning the compound-sights, that's "prepared". I hope to get to "good enough" someday.

19-Aug-15
I know I'm going to hit the spot I'm aiming at every time I draw my bow. That's good enough!

Many times I don't but as mentioned above I can't do anything about the last arrow or the next so the focus is on the current and if I don't believe I'm going to hit the spot I should either move up, work for a closer shot or move on. Practice is different as far as getting closer.

It's all about confidence and we should stay within that range where we're confident if shooting at game.

19-Aug-15
It depends on how much time I have to shoot before the season. Sometimes I'm lethal out to 60, sometimes only 20. In my last shooting session before the hunt I will determine the distance where my grouping exceeds 6 inches and then consider my effective range to be 10 yards less than that.

19-Aug-15
I used to feel comfortable at reasonably long distances. In the last year, I have switched bows. As a result, I am not as accurate at the longer distances for some reason. Hopefully, that will change with time....but until it does change, it simply means that I must understand my new limitations, and hunt within them.

However, part of the reason that I took up archery many years ago, was to force me to get closer to my prey....so it's all good. There sure is something to be said for that "moment" which occurs during bowhunting, when I know that the animal is now within my effective range....and all of the "hoping for a shot" has passed, and now it is up to me to execute (pardon the pun).

The tough part is being able to differentiate between being honest and confident that you can quickly and humanely put that animal down, versus hoping that you hit them. Trying to finish an animal after a less than desirable hit (because you relied on luck), will result in some sleepless nights that could have been avoided. I place more importance on first arrow location, than overall grouping. Grouping confirms that the bow is set to put the arrow in a specific spot, on a consistent basis, which builds confidence. First arrow location incorporates the confidence gained through tight groups, coupled with the ability to perform under pressure.

20-Aug-15
Was that with broadheads? I don't care much for groups, I look at first arrow cold shot and preferably that would be with a broadhead!

20-Aug-15
I shoot a a recurve every day and shoot 6" groups out to 25 yards... It depends a lot on your equipment. I would say that the best huntets I know are most often not the best shots. They aren't bad at the range but where they come through is in the field in getting within their effective range and making the shot in the heat of the moment.

20-Aug-15
For me it's more of a feeling than it is a group size.

This is why I haven't hunted with my recurve yet. I'm not a bad shot out to 25 yards, I just don't have that killer feeling with it yet.

20-Aug-15
I am a much more consistent shot than I am a good shot. On days my groups really tighten up but for the most part they are always decent. Part of my style of shooting lends to my groups opening up a bit as I shoot a thumb by just pulling into the stops. I can shoot WAY better groups with an index finger release but never do as that style of release leads to TP for me.

Anyway....I feel I could put my arrow in the kill of an antelope sized animal every time at 40 yards. This doesn't mean I can't make a bad shot at that distance or miss it just means that I fully expect to drill what I am shooting at that distance. Mostly my shots are <30 yards but I am prepared to shoot much longer shots if the perfect scenario arises or if a follow up shot is needed.

20-Aug-15
Within a couple of inches of my point of aim. Whether it's 20 yards or 70 yards.

20-Aug-15
That is amazing shooting Cornfed! Here's something you might try if you haven't already. I got in a rut shooting in my shed out back. One day I decided to switch it up (when the mosquitos finally died down) and bring the deer target out back in the field. My groups instantly opened up and I thought, "sheesh, what the heck!" I had to refocus and really concentrate again and my groups tightened up the last half of the shooting session. I suppose that is why shooting a 3D course is a good way to practice. When you change your shooting environment you have to maintain your focus to keep shooting well.

20-Aug-15
I'm kinda like Idyll, it's more of a feeling. I don't really shoot groups.

When I'm shooting it's more about whether the shot felt right. I can always change my sights. But can I get a good sight picture, feel good during the hold, and get a good smooth release, and follow through

When it's clicking and I feel confident, I don't really care if I center the bullseye. If I'm within 2 to 3 inches, I'm okay with it. I'm way more concerned about a good feeling shot

My bow is actually sighted not to hit the bullseye at certain distances. I shoot one pin to 35. So at 25 and under I shoot a couple inches high. At 35 I'm a couple inches low

20-Aug-15

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
First and last shot of Sunday afternoon @ 42.5 yards

20-Aug-15
12yds I've always thought that groups help produce consistency. I shoot 3 arrow groups to give my arm some time to relax. But I only like shooting groups at my block target. I think the best practice i get is going out on my brother and I's 3d range. We walk and call out shots to each other. No ranging, and only 1 arrow per animal. We also try and screw with each other by putting branches and crap between us and the target to make it harder. He usually has the edge on me, but i'm good enough to make him honest!

20-Aug-15
3d is a great way to practice hunting shots It forces u to pick a spot at unmarked distance . I see many good target shooters sux on game shots

Jake its probably your eyes not allowing u to pick a exact spot on the target

20-Aug-15
I think good enough is SO LONG AS I BEAT MY BROTHER! Thought that bastard to much..... ;)

20-Aug-15
I'm with Barty, I want my first shot right on the mark. The rest is just practice after that.

21-Aug-15
Thanks Swampbuck :-) *blush*

Joking apart though, I've always been content with one minute of angle i.e. 2" groups at 20 yards out to 6" groups at 60 yards

My target face is based on life size elk vitals, which means that the large yellow circle [central lungs] is 13", the smaller yellow circle, which you can't quite see, is 7" [heart].

When I'm shooting 'one shot groups' with my ST Magnum 125gr BHs, I'm aiming at the lungs at 60 yards, the heart at 20 yards, and as long as my arrow is within the respective circle at that range, that's good for me...

Good luck and good hunting!!

21-Aug-15
You are certainly more than "good enough" to be an extremely effective bowhunter and much better than most. My only word of advice is to not ever be satisfied with your shooting. Always keep trying to get better. Keep pushing yourself to be the best you can be and you'll always by "good enough". I rarely shoot groups anymore, arrows are expensive! I typically shoot one arrow per target from 20-80 yards switching between target faces and 3D animals to keep it interesting. You usually only get one arrow, make it count.

21-Aug-15

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
this at 25 yds or less. Rarely consider anything over that distance hunting but shoot 10 through 80 in Field outdoor ranges in competition (It's paper)..

21-Aug-15
The problem with "good enough" is that once you reach that point,you quit improving, and we always have room for improvement. If we want to be the best we can be, we can never settle for "good enough ".

26-Aug-15
Good enough is when the job is done.

26-Aug-15
Personally, "good enough" never enters my my mind . I concentrate on one arrow at a time. Once the last arrow is shot, it's shot, nothing I can do about it. Likewise, I don't worry about my next arrow. I only concentrate on the arrow I'm currently shooting. Even if I'm clanking arrows , I know the next arrow could go to crap if I don't concentrate on that arrow. So I never think "good enough". I always strive for perfection on every shot. Even though I'll never achieve perfection, I'll keep trying. In my mind, "good enough" is never good enough.

+1 and a well said:) Especially the part about the 'next' arrow. So true.

26-Aug-15
I'd guess half the dead critters that get posted on here don't get the hunters perfect arrow meaning the shooter most likely missed their mark. But the critter ended up in the pic so I guess it WAS a perfect arrow. Point is, make a killing shot, that's what matters.

26-Aug-15
Perfection is something to be sought while keeping in mind that it will likely never be achieved.

26-Aug-15
Right with old sarge, I don't ever think I'm good enough. Take a shot every morning, 1st one is the only one that counts. I do like the looks of a good group but doesn't really matter in the hunting world. Its all about my confidence level.

26-Aug-15
"With today's equipment, I think it's more like making sure the pins are correct, and then one can put it away, like a rifle."

That mentality is why we see a lot of "I can't find my deer" posts. As for the OP's question, I never consider myself good enough. I go into each season feeling prepared and confident, but never good enough. From Late June until season starts I shoot every day, even if it's just ten arrows. Once season starts I shoot 3 to 5 times a week. I may not need to shoot that much, but I like to shoot and you can never be too prepared.

27-Aug-15
Common sense tells us we need to be accurate enough to hit the vitals.

Shooting good in the yard is one thing, shooting that good in the field is another.

Missed shots or wounded, it happens.

There is no pressure or adrenaline in the yard, You got all the time in the world to shoot ect...

There are guys out there that shoot 4"-6" groups with a stickbow at 25 yards or less that are killing machines.

And there are guys that shoot much better that just seem to have trouble filling a tag.

No matter what you shoot, you need to know your ability and limitations, and you need to be able to do it in the field.

I normally am concerned with my very first cold shot...

• Sitka Gear