JW 04-Sep-15
kota-man 04-Sep-15
drycreek 04-Sep-15
deerhaven 04-Sep-15
WallHanger 07-Sep-15
WallHanger 23-May-16
Fuzzy 26-May-16
20-Aug-15
Well gentlemen it is here. Today is mob day. I believe half the fun is planning and prepping so I am half way through my adventure already. I have built a lot of anticipation for this hunt and it may not be moose in Canada or Kudu in Africa but dang I'm stoked for some coues in AZ! I have the truck and trailer loaded to the gills. Gonna shower say good bye and get on the road but before I leave I wanted to say I have enjoyed reading the hunt picture stories from so many of you for a couple years before registering on this site so I look forward to doing my part and contributing by completing a good story for you. To all heading what ever direction you are going or planning good luck to you and I hope to read yours and share mine soon. Good luck! WallHanger

20-Aug-15
Sounds like a good time Good Luck!

20-Aug-15
Good luck...aim small, miss small.

20-Aug-15
Good luck WallHanger!

20-Aug-15
Just like so many of us lucky guys! Hunt safe! C

20-Aug-15
Good luck!

20-Aug-15
Have a great time. Sounds like a good trip to me.

20-Aug-15
If you're feelin' it……enjoy the ride!!

20-Aug-15
Shoot the big one and watch out for snakes.

20-Aug-15
Best of luck! Ill be out there in a week chasing them, cant wait as well.

20-Aug-15
That's a hunt I wouldn't mind doing. Outfitted or DIY ? Good luck whichever it is, and looking forward to the story !

20-Aug-15
Good luck, Tim!

20-Aug-15
Have at it and enjoy everything and every minute!

20-Aug-15
Good luck & we will look forward to your story & pics!

20-Aug-15
hope u have some heat! lots of illegal activity in them southern units Hope Trump gets to build his wall im tired of running into illegals while hunting.

22-Aug-15
I'll probably be there this winter

22-Aug-15
Good luck wall hanger wish you the best

22-Aug-15
Have a blast Wallhanger! Good luck!

Mark

22-Aug-15
Enjoy the ride and please post pics and story!

30-Aug-15
That was awesome!!! 9 nights in the tent and 8 days diy coues. Got home at 12:45am and been cleaning up with the family all day today. Story and pics to come in the next couple days.... WallHanger

03-Sep-15
Archery has been part of my life since I can remember. My dad and uncle got real into it early eighties and into the nineties starting with bows like a pse laser magnum pse carol and so on. My uncle opened a shop in our little home town and ran it mid to late 90s until the business ended up my dad and my hands. I was about 13 at the time. He and I lived together in a different part of the state and opened it up there and had a blast getting it going. We did really good putting on 3d tournaments and held the Mathews and Hoyt brands in that region. Once it was up and running I ended up moving across the state to live with my mother but being that I had worked at our shop for awhile I knew several "archery people" in the state and when I told the string maker we used that I had moved he hooked me up with the manager and owner of the shop in the town I was now living in and I got the job at that shop and worked there the 4 years I was in high school. In the meantime my dad got so busy with his full time job and lost money at the shop from the guy he had hired to work and ended up having to close down. The year after I graduated is when I began having some success bow hunting and I was able to tag a coues deer and a bull with in a couple months of each other. The following year I met my wife and didn't do as much hunting. In January 2008 I went deer hunting and was a able to put an arrow a little forward of an awesome 90 class coues and lost him. That replayed in my mind for a long time and I quit taking bow hunting so serious. It affected me really bad and although I did buy an archery tag every year after that I didn't put a lot of effort into it. I even had a few late archery bull tags that didn't get the attention they deserved. Then in 2013 I drew another late bull tag and by then my wife and I were married and had two kids that were out of diapers so I decided to purchase a new bow and make it happen. I was able to take a small bull on an az late hunt. 8 years since my last elk. All in the mean time I had been hunting coues and harvesting with a rifle. In 2014 I bought my wife a bow and we began shooting in the back yard. Getting her that bow was a great decision! Now I had a great reason to shoot and shoot often. Which leads us to this adventure.

03-Sep-15

WallHanger's embedded Photo
My wife kids and I have started shed hunting religiously every spring for the last few years. This year We put a camera out on the edge of a small meadow in a feeding area hoping to catch some pictures and see what kind of bull elk activity was in the area. A couple weeks after we set it up my wife and I found this coues shed. It is a hard white I believe was shed in spring of 2014. I measured the antler at 45"s a great buck! keep in mind this shed was found just a couple hundred yards from where we put the camera to see some Bulls.

03-Sep-15
It wasn't until mid May that we started getting pictures of coues deer. And by June we started getting a lot of deer on cam. The bucks were hanging together and one was catching my eye. He was much much heavier than the others. None of the deer were branching until early July. I didn't realize that the buck that stood out to me was the same deer that shed the antler we found until the end of July. He just dwarfed the other bucks! There was no doubt in my mind it's the same buck and he was coming through with four other bucks none of which were smaller than about 60"s.

03-Sep-15

03-Sep-15

In early June I knew I wanted get serious and harvest another coues with my bow. I turned in my vacation request in and started planning. While keeping an eye on the area, scouting almost every weekend though out the summer and using our experience walking miles in the area looking for shed antlers I began putting a plan together. I was building the anticipation. Making orders and building lists and schedules to make sure this would come together. As it grew closer I watched the moon phase and the weather. You might as well not even pay attention to a weather forecast that is more than 3 days out. This one was way off!

04-Sep-15
Just before the hunt my wife showed interest in hunting with her bow and she was shooting great. We got her a tag and made arrangements for grandmas to have the kids a couple of the days that I would be hunting so she could come up and be part of the adventure. I would go up Thursday morning make camp hunt Friday then she would come up Saturday and hunt then go home and return Monday around noon and hunt until Tuesday night. And I would stay until the following Sunday.

04-Sep-15

So finally Thursday came! I got loaded up and headed up. I arrived at my predetermined camping spot and got set up. The weather was beautiful. Little did I know that would be the best weather I would have my entire stay. I set up to where I wasn't really roughing it. i would have everything I would need for a ten day stay!

04-Sep-15

My shower worked out perfect and I used it every day! Sometimes twice a day. Felt good until the wind blew.

04-Sep-15

That evening was the best meal I had the whole hunt. Coues back straps from the previous year.

04-Sep-15

I slept awe full that night and was happy to get going early in the morning. I walked to my blind from camp. When I arrived I saw tails flagging in the morning twilight and swapped cards in the camera. I hadn't been there since I set the blind up. I excited to see the pictures of him almost tipped out.

04-Sep-15

04-Sep-15
I planned on staying all day. It was uneventful and around 1pm I got the first experience of lightning. I ran to camp and made it there just as the sun came back out. It was hot! No real rain but the clouds rolled in quick lightning all around then gone. I wiped down from sweating and headed back to the blind.

04-Sep-15

Bow bender77! I was set back up and ready by 245. I was patiently waiting when I noticed movement and realized a rattler was completely in my blind! I thought to just let him pass through so I didn't disturb the area but I couldn't keep sitting not knowing where he was and the battle was on! It scared the out of me in a fight to the death in close quarters. This is the clearest picture I got as I was so shaky!

04-Sep-15
That evening two small Bulls past through. End of day 1. As I was making my way out a coworker sent me a message that he got a deer. I decided to run and help him and pick up my wife and get ready for the morning hunt. After helping take care of his deer we didn't get in the tent until almost midnight.

04-Sep-15

Saturday morning I wanted to get her on water. I figured that would be her best opportunity. After a couple hours 2 great bucks came in but stayed pretty far out. She took the shot and missed just under his brisket. She did great holding herself together and got the first shot with her bow. Shortly after some pigs came in. It was a great morning with her. Around 1030 we headed back to camp as I wanted her to shoot at the target. I couldn't believe it at forty she shot three arrows into the bottom of the target with one going into the dirt below it! I checked everything was fine. Her peep has movement in the string so I slid it down and she shot great.... That evening we sat back where I sat the previous day. It was a little crowded and no action that evening. I took her home and made it back super late again.

04-Sep-15

Sunday morning I decided to sit a different water. Nothing came in and at about 930 the ants were tearing me up I decided to get back to where the big guy was. I got out of the blind and noticed white tines in the weeds. I sat the blind and had two does come through. Struck out again...

04-Sep-15
Monday morning bright and early back in the blind until eleven with nothing coming through. I headed to the highway to get my wife. And we got right back in the blind with two does coming that evening. End of day 4 still no buck for me to draw on.

04-Sep-15

Tuesday morning we went back to the water she got the shot on and nothing came in but lightning again. We got out of there about 10. We stayed at camp until the coast seemed to clear and headed to a different water hole. That didn't last long and another big storm started in on us. The lightning chased us out again and I decided to secure camp head to the house to wash clothes restock ice. Early Wednesday morning I got in there to a muddy mess and got right back in the blind. Nothing came in but more lightning. Although the blind wasn't producing every walk between camp and the blind was..I found these on my walks.

04-Sep-15
Thursday morning back int he blind. By now I had logged over 45 hours in that blind and not had one of the bucks I had watched come in. I was getting impatient and decided that if nothing today I had to go make it happen. That afternoon was the worst lightning storm yet. I ran and my body would say slow down your to big then lightning would strike and the thunder would crack so quick after the flash that I couldn't slow! I was so dedicated or stupid though that I would not let that dang rattle snake in the blind, the hours of no bucks or the lightning on top of me stop me. After sitting in the truck an hour it had cleared and I got back in the blind. Nothing at all came in. End of day 7. That night I took apart the little pack I was using and put my regular hunting pack back together. The area is fairly thick and did not have a lot of high points but I had plenty of time to come up with a plan to use the wind and terrain the best I could. I would set out in the morning to change it up and hopefully draw my bow for the first time.

04-Sep-15

At twilight Friday morning I set out from camp walking with the wind in order to make long loop back up wind through the area that the big buck was in. I made it to my vantage point about 715.

04-Sep-15

It was difficult to glass the area. I did see some movement far west side of the ridge I was watching but I happens to fast to know buck or doe and what buck at that. I enjoyed the morning in my porch for a couple hours and set out across the draw to the camera at the blind just to confirm I wasn't crazy for changing my direction. There weren't any new pictures and I continued my trek. I made it across the area and knocked an arrow with the wind in my face I began to slowly and silently walk up the ridge in front of me. It wasn't long I came around a juniper and stared into the eyes of a doe at 20. Bam that happend quick. Man you have to be ready if that was him you wouldn't have gotten a shot. Slow down! So I continued up wind. Not much later I step up on some rocks in my path and as I gained elevation my eyes met a buck I recognized he was bedded not ten yards in front of me and he saw me as well. He blew outta there like crazy. Well now we are seeing deer heck yea! So I continued, and for any one that has attempted still hunting you know it is tedious. After about 60 yards of moving half the speed of smell with grass hoppers making more noise than you, you may forget to continue slowly and I did. I started getting comfortable and walking a little bit faster as the terrain was opening up again. Then all the sudden there are several bucks running and with in my range! I draw and wait for the chance. Fit doesn't come the bucks don't stop and I let down. It was 1130 by now and I was dying of thirst so I began the walk back to camp thinking of how to get on these deer. The deer headed north with the wind in there faces and camp was to the east with a tank between. I thought this evening the wind will change and those deer would be thirsty I will sit that tank that I had not sat yet. I hurried back to camp. Ate some lunch took a shower and walked back to the tank in just shorts and boots as it was so hot. When I arrived I found an old brush blind 20 yards from the water and began cleaning it out and adding some branches to the holes in front. Once I finished I was letting the breeze cool me off when I noticed a deer in the trees across the tank. Wow. I hunched over got dressed and ready to go just as this doe came over the dam.

04-Sep-15
I would sit for the next 4 hours with no activity. Then as I was set looking to the north west I thought I haven't looked to the other side in a while. I turned and looked around the oak I was next two and saw two bucks walking away from the water. I didn't even think...it happened very quick in one fluent motion I reached for bow drew back and came around the front of the oak at full draw with my bottom pin resting on the larger buck and squeezed it off. Snap I shot high and the buck was looking left but quartering right and away. Over its back and grazed its neck. They blow out of there. Wow I just messed up! I ranged it after they were out of site and I was ten yards off my estimate. Dude you have to slow down when the opportunity arrives! End of day eight with a lot more deer and excitement. My wife comes up that night and I pick her up at the highway.

04-Sep-15
Saturday morning I decided I may have jumped the gun the night before and ran them out of there before the other bucks had a chance to drink and they may go to the water hole to the north west of where I jumped them a day earlier so we set up there later in the morning. That did not last long and the lightning was again upon us. We tore out of there back to camp. This storm hung around awhile and produced a lot of lightning and just a few rain drops. When it calmed a little I decided to pack up camp. I was worn out beatin and depressed. I hadn't seen my kids for almost ten days. By 4pm The last item to pack was the shower everything else was loaded. I had already filled it to warm through the day so I began pouring out the water and something stopped me with about 1 gallon left...I thought save this you might have to wash your hands tonight. I threw on the tail gate grabbed my pack and my bow and said lets go. The storm was past and it was hot. We walked from camp to the tank I had took the shot on the night before.

04-Sep-15
We settled in for the evening enjoying each others company. It started cooling down. As we were sitting there whispering I looking around the east side where they were the night prior and saw them! I saw what looked like the big boy! I said its him! I had the fever real bad. I am surprised they couldn't hear me breathing. My wife kept telling take a deep breath just relax over and over. I got set up on my knees with bow in position as three bucks came down to the water. I got a real good look at them and said the big one isn't there but this is a great buck I want him should I shoot? She says yes but can't see them. I wait a second to calm my self and see if the big guy will come down. Two of the bucks finish and begin walking away from the water my opertunity is fixing to leave while I wait for a deer that may not be there. No way! I draw back. The bucks are in the position as the night before but this time I am ready! I settle my pin and squeeze it off. Wap the buck jumps forward runs 60 yards and sways as she looks forward to see and counts 6 total deer running. I only saw the three. My bucks goes down around fights it hard not going easy. we gave him time and went to camp to get the ranger went back and loaded him up. Glad I left that shower water. It was an amazing journey I will never forget. I am so glad she was part of it and supported me all the way through!

04-Sep-15

04-Sep-15

04-Sep-15
Great job WallHanger! Great buck, pics and narration!

Mark

04-Sep-15
Wow, nice hunt. Congrats. Rattlesnake...The other white meat! :) What brand shower is that ? Thanks for sharing.

04-Sep-15
Good Story congrats

04-Sep-15
Congrats !!

04-Sep-15
Great story and great deer. Thanks for sharing.

04-Sep-15
Wow! What an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing.

04-Sep-15
Great story! Awesome Coues buck you got there. Congrats!

04-Sep-15
Great hunt/story...I LOVE those little deer.

04-Sep-15
Great DIY hunt. It just goes to show you, it ain't over 'til it's over ! Congrats !

04-Sep-15
Congratulations! Nice buck!! Thanks for sharing.

07-Sep-15
Full Rut the shower is sterns sun shower. It holds four gallons. The cheapest I could find was at Walmart.com for 27 and some change. It worked out really nice.

23-May-16

He made it! Hopefully we will meet at 30 yards in August. Time to start preparing!

26-May-16
Good luck, and enjoy!

• Sitka Gear