cfraley 24-Aug-15
DonVathome 25-Aug-15
Mike_Parson 25-Aug-15
cfraley 25-Aug-15
WapitiBob 26-Aug-15
smokinf15 26-Aug-15
Muddyboots 26-Aug-15
23-Aug-15
I drew a non-resident second season archery elk tag for unit 36. I have done a lot a research...purchased maps, spoke with friends, and friends of friends, countless hours on google earth, lots of internet research etc. I haven't been able to get one of the biologist on the phone yet, but im still trying. My questions...Whats the water situation in this country for filtering drinking water? Are the trails on the west side accessible from the bottom? It appears there is private land outside the wilderness, so i didn't know for sure. Also, what's the average weather like Sept 15-24th? I am a very experienced back country hunter, so I know the mountains are always wild cards, but each place has its own personality. Thank you for your help, ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated. PM's welcome if you would like your info kept confidential.

23-Aug-15
Congrats on a great tag! I wish I could manage to draw it and wish I could help u with some info. Good luck! I hope your in better shape than odoyle was because I do know that this is one of the roughest deepest canyon and steepest country unit in nm

23-Aug-15
Yeah it looks like a real monster!

24-Aug-15
Best access is from ski run area, be sure you have a really good water filter, a lot of the water in that area comes out of old abandoned mines, has a lot of real nasty chemicals in it. The elk are in the oak rush early and late, good luck. Craig.

25-Aug-15
Guys please tell me about water along ridge between nogal and argentina peaks. I hear "none" - but I find this hard to believe. I have heard this may times before in many states and only found it true once 0 Florida mnts NM. That said I still found water and used snow.

I am great at finding water (knowing what to look for) and I can turn a tiny mud puddle seep into drinking water with ease. So is there water?

25-Aug-15
that area has been getting a lot of rain the last few weeks and is forcasted to get rain every day for the next week in some parts of the unit. if its like unit 34 it will have water everywhere cause of the heavy summer rains.

25-Aug-15
On the trail between Nogal peak and Argentina there's a fantastic spring,year around no matter how dry it's been. It's at the junction of that trail and turkey canyon. It has a fence around it and a catch basin.

26-Aug-15
If everybody brings a main dish we can have a potluck!!

26-Aug-15
DonV I was gonna PM you but looks to be too late now that everyone already knows. I lived there for 4 years and spent alot of time where you are talking about so if you have any other questions let me know via PM, maybe I'll draw again in the next 30 years... Recommend looking at a 1:24K topo map, its very accurate.

26-Aug-15
Each drainage in the White Mtn Wilderness would have water, such as Turkey Ck, Bonito Creek, Little Bonito Ck. Argentina Ck. I would not try to access the wilderness from the west- the rise is at least 3000'. There is quite a bit of private land to the west but the Three Rivers Campground provides access. From the east the rise is about 1000'. Argentina Trailhead is a great jumping off place. DonV- start looking at topo maps of the crest trail area, and you will see several springs high up- most will be active as the rain has been good and springs that have been mostly dry for years are flowing nicely. Wish I could have drawn a tag and be there instead of you guys!

• Sitka Gear