Bigpizzaman 26-Aug-15
Bowboy 26-Aug-15
Tracker12 26-Aug-15
Tonybear61 26-Aug-15
Cheque 27-Aug-15
Phil Magistro 04-Sep-15
mikesohm/magnus 06-Sep-15
24-Aug-15
Just bought my wife the diamond edge bow. needing some advice on broad heads. She shoots 42# and 25" draw. Should i use 100 or 125 grain. Are there any mechanical that would work in that poundage if not what would be some fixed blade that would tune easy to that bow. Just gonna be hunting deer 20 to 30 yards max. Thank you for the advice.

24-Aug-15
Magnus Stinger, VPA, Slick Trick Razortrick.

24-Aug-15
absolutely magnus stinger with bleeders in 100 grain

24-Aug-15
VPA, and I'd opt for 100 gr for deer. Slick Trick standard or Viper Trick would work nicely as well. My wife has taken several deer shooting 40#'s with 85 gr ST standards all complete pass throughs. This year we moved her up to the VPA 100 gr and it's shooting very nicely. Should be a better choice for her overall with a heavier arrow.

24-Aug-15
I'll second the Slick Trick Viper Tricks. I have my son and fiancé shooting them, and they fly great, are scary sharp, and cut like a hot knife through butter! I even started shooting them!

24-Aug-15

Purdue's Link
The SteelForce Phathead has a much stronger blade. It's .080" thick.

24-Aug-15
Check out Stricklands Helix. A single bevel 2 blade. Shoulder blade & rib bones are going to be the biggest obstacle.

24-Aug-15
I would go with a two blade broadhead and a high FOC.

24-Aug-15
I shoot magnus stingers out of my 42 lb recurve. Hit a doe last year with it and it blew through her and stuck 6" in the sand behind her.

Needless to say, I was sold. I shoot 125 grains though.

thinking about making the switch with the compound after elk season.

24-Aug-15
I would consider that Magnus Black Hornet Ser Razor - with the bleeders removed for ultimate penetration.

24-Aug-15
I like the Muzzy Phantom. Tried them in both 100 and 125 grain. Shot very well from my compound when it was cranked way down to 40#. The 125's seemed to group slightly better for me, and I figured I could the extra weight at the slow arrow speed. They come out of the package reasonably sharp, and can be hand sharpened to "scary sharp" hunting sharpness easily.

Not knocking the other choices mentioned above. Just another option that seems to work very well in that "low-energy" application.

24-Aug-15
The four blade 85gr Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut has a great profile for penetration, couple it to a 50gr brass insert and I think you will have a winning combination!

24-Aug-15
My wife has killed a hog and a pronghorn using 90gr Muzzy 4 blades at 43lbs and 25" draw. That said I have been thinking of switching her to Muzzy Phantom 2 blades or Stingers, which I shoot.

24-Aug-15

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
This was shot from a Athens Convixtion with 27" draw set to 42#. Our VPA 2 blade 150. I did a pile of testing the fall of 2013 and the spring of 2014 for an article on lighter, shorter draw bows. I havent pulled all that info toegther as I want to include a few new products. I shot over 1000 arrows of many different makes and models combined with our various heads in setups set to both 42# and 48# draw. Checked for speed, trajectory, and penetration in Mil-Spec ballistic gel. Although I know it may not be the same as animals it is really the only consitent thing to use shot to shot.

I didn't compare ours to any other brand just wanted people to get an unbiased look at the performance of our various models on various shafts.

My recommendation would be forget speed and find the sweet spot for best penetration and trajectory.

500 spine Gold Tip Kinetic with our 2 blade 125 was a sweet spot. As was the 500 spine Speed 3D with the 2 balde 150 shown. I also liked 400 spine Carbon Express PTX with our 150 3 blade did really well too. I ended up killing 2 whitetail does with that set up. One was shot through both shoulder blades. Although it the arrow was caught by the fletches so it truly want a pass through thatwas still quite impressinve and she went down after just stumbling a few yard and was dead in seconds. The other was feeding and one step changed a broadhead shot to a quartering to. It was a one lung liver out the ham pass through shot. She went about 70 yards but left a blood trail a blind man could follow.

25-Aug-15
125 gr zwickey Eskimo is what I shoot out of my 45 lb recurve, great BH.

25-Aug-15
The old green bear Razorhead never failed me wether shot from a 38# bow to a 65 # bow. (these were recurves or longbows) Last year of hunting I only shot 38#. (health problems.) Dropped the buck in his tracks (spine shot)

25-Aug-15
Thunderhead or Muzzy cant be beat for a slower fps bow.

25-Aug-15
I need to learn to proof read.

25-Aug-15
Magnus Stinger or VPA and put the issue to bed and focus on teaching her to hunt and everything associated with the same.

25-Aug-15
My vote would be the Magnus Stinger, Or the Thunderhead. Both Excellent heads!

25-Aug-15
My vote would be the Magnus Stinger, Or the Thunderhead. Both Excellent heads!

25-Aug-15
125g should be fine, a preference is any cut on contact, or the thunder heads, I have use them from a 40lb recurve for yrs, with an aluminum arrow though, and a longer draw

26-Aug-15
"Thunderhead or Muzzy cant be beat for a slower fps bow."

WHY????

for a slow FPS bow you will always do better with a cut on contact head over a chisel tip. the difference may not be material, on small stuff like deer if the shots are good, but it is undisputable and real. i'd go that route over either of those two heads for that reason. there is no downside to a cut on contact head.

26-Aug-15
I would say the VPA and also would go heavy, the 175 would be ideal. She is gonna want all the penetration she can get. I hunted with a 42# recurve a few years back due to shoulder surgery and used the 175 grain VPA and killed 4 deer and a coyote that year with the same arrow and broadhead. Shawn

26-Aug-15
Stinger , Buzzcut, Eskimo, Grizzly 2 blades all will do great jobs with that setup.

God bless, Steve

26-Aug-15
Due to a shoulder surgery this spring, I can not shoot either my recurve or high poundage compound. So I am trying the wac em 125 four blade. I would classify them as a hybrid like a viper trick.

26-Aug-15
I tuned my wife's 34LB 23.5" DL bow with 100 grain Slick Trick standards. She was able to shoot completely through a wild hog with that set up. With a properly tuned bow, close shots, and good shot placement, any fixed blade head will do the trick. Total arrow weight for her is 340 grains.

26-Aug-15
75 gr Muzzy

26-Aug-15
Don't forget the Helix head.

26-Aug-15
2 blade magnus stinger or VPA. I have killed several deer with these BH with my 43# longbow

26-Aug-15
125 gr Zwickey Eskimo , Muzzy Phantom or the older Bear head without the bleeder blade.

27-Aug-15
I watched a 42# compound with a 25" draw shoot through a yearling buck last year and stick into the ground with a Magnus Stinger. The 4 point dropped dead 50 yards away. It worked very well.

04-Sep-15
This isn't rocket science. In the 60s millions of bow hunters shot bows in that weight range. There are lots of proven choices but I would only recommend a cut on contact head that you can sharpen. I would suggest a two-blade but there is no reason a 3 or 4 blade won't work on deer at that draw weight. Find a weight that works with the arrow you want to use. If you want a higher FOC you'll likely need a stiffer spined arrow and a heavier head.

06-Sep-15
I would suggest the stinger or stinger buzzcut 4 blade. I wouldn't suggest the black hornet at 42 lbs. We have a lot of bowhunters shooting 40 to 45 lbs using our stinger and stinger buzzcut. lifetime replacement guarantee. if you bend or break one all you need to do is email us a picture with your complete name and address and we will replace. good hunting to all

• Sitka Gear