Beendare 02-Sep-15
WapitiBob 02-Sep-15
TD 02-Sep-15
flybyjohn 02-Sep-15
DonVathome 02-Sep-15
butcherboy 02-Sep-15
Branden 02-Sep-15
24-Aug-15
Lots of folks talk about hauling an elk out of the woods. I'm looking for more specifics:

Let's say that I am using the gutless method and leaving the leg meat on the bones.

Do you recover all the neck meat? Do you recover all the rib meat (I've seen the "rib roll" and that looks quite efficient)?

How many game bags do you use?

How many loads for the carry out? And how are the loads divided up for the carry out? 5 loads (left rear leg, right rear leg, both front legs, misc cuts, head/antlers)?

24-Aug-15
I don't carry any bone unless its horns. Guttless method, I do the rib roll take all the neck and inner loins also 2 guys 2 trips four bags. Oh and never ever go light on your first trip thinking you will have more help for the second. Those guys may shoot one also, in that case you will haul a huge pack the second trip before helping them pack until midnight. just sayin

24-Aug-15
I do same as 320 Bull with the gutless method. Have done several bulls with 2 guys, one meat load each! Heavy packs, need help getting them on as each guy helps the other. About a 2 mile pack, predominantly downhill, but with some rolling ridges. Antlers with or without the skull come out on another trip with bow, hunting packs, camp, etc.

If alone, it would be 3 meat loads as I could not get one of the bigger loads on without help! :) It also depends on the size of the particular animal.

>>>>-------->

24-Aug-15
Even with the guttless method, why would you want to leave the bone on?

Here are the AVERAGE weights of: Field dressed elk

Bull---

2 1/2 year old, 337 lb,,,,,,,,, boneless 168

3-4 400 lb boneless 200

Cow---

2 1/2 year old 304 boneless 152

3-4 329 boneless 164

So depending on your method of haul, your strength, the distance and topography to traverse, it might be 3-4 round trips. to bring out 150 to 200 lbs of boneless meat.

I can haul out 40- 50# at at time, and I break that down to two 25# bags.

Yes, some rib and neck meat. If I am close to the truck I will bring out the ribs whole as they are a great eat.

Have fun, Paul

24-Aug-15
I think it really depends on the size of the animal and how much meat you actually do take off the animal. I confess, I hate to leave any extra meat behind. It takes me a good 3+ hours to cut all the meat off an animal using the gutless method. Cutting all that meat off from around the neck vertebrae is time consuming. I also go back after cutting off the quarters and cut off all the meat from around the pelvis bone and strip the meat off from between the ribs. It all adds up when making jerky and sausages.

The bull I got last year took 6 loads of meat and one load of antlers. I would have taken the antlers the last load of meat but it was just too much. I did leave the bone in the quarters but didn’t pack out any hide. I got more meat off that bull than any butcher ever would have even if he had the animal brought to him whole.

I took one rear quarter and all my gear out the first trip. Brought a friend that night for the next trip and we started off with a full load each (hind quarter for me and misc. meat for him) and half way out he had to drop his pack because he was too tired to go any further. I got my load out that night, (trip two). Next morning hiked back in and picked up the friend’s load and took it out (load 3). Three more trips with front quarters and misc. meat that day. Next day went in to get the antlers and bears had already got to the carcass.

I weighed every bone I packed out and I won’t pack bone again. Could have saved myself one trip.

Two years ago, I got a small cow and I got all the meat out by myself in 3 trips. I carried a hind quarter and gear first trip out and a hind quarter and front quarter in second trip out and front quarter and misc. meat the last trip out. The hind and front quarter trip out was weighed when I got home and it was 123 lbs. of meat and bone, no hide. I had a front quarter strapped to my chest and the hind quarter in my pack. I could hardly pick up my feet when climbing up the hill and the nether regions of my anatomy fell asleep when I sat on a log to take a break with the load on. I had to put the pack on lying down on the ground and roll onto my hands and knees to get up.

I would wager that a bull's neck meat is two to three times the weight of a cow's neck.

24-Aug-15
One things for sure, there is a huge difference between a young bull, and one that has lived for 3 or more years.

3 trips for me if alone, 2 trips if with another person. Those loads can be brutal with a decent bull. All elk look big on the ground, but a nice bull is huge, and each hind quarter will be heavy.

One things for sure, I will take 2-3 ass kicking loads over 3 lighter. I hate coming back, and will carry as much as I can.

24-Aug-15
meat laden photo humpingmeat_zps50a5e905.jpg

I do 5, bone in. I take all neck and rib meat. 4 pair of panty hose takes care of all of it, and they weigh just a few ounces and take up little space.

But, my first load is just loin and antlers, then I bring the frame down for the next 4 loads.

I'm always going up the mountain a couple thousand feet in elevation, and sometimes 2 miles...so I'm not going to pull a Cam Hanes, and try to kill myself getting it all out at once. The meat is good for 3 or 4 days hung in the shade.

Best of Luck, Jeff

24-Aug-15
Its sorta like asking how much can a truck haul. A longbed F-350 diesel and a short bed Tacoma have different capacities. For average folks, a bull elk is usually 4 loads. Some guys do it in 2 or 3 and some guys do it in 5 or 6.

Our usual loads are:

Rear quarter = 1

Rear quarter = 1

Front quarter,straps, loins, trim = 1

Front quarter, horns, cape = 1

A long or nasty pack out might mean splitting that up more and an easy down hill hike might mean less loads but heavier.

Some folks like to push themselves and see how fast and few trips they can do it in. Others take a more casual approach.

24-Aug-15
You guys that bone your meat must toss about 1/3 of your meat or more do to the amount of hair and dirt that gets on your meat. I leave the bone in the leg quarters. It takes me 5 trips one each for the hinds and I add the neck and boned out meat to the fronts. and the last trip is for the horns I remove all the hide and lower jaw from the head. Elk dye out in the woods.

24-Aug-15
Just like GLunt, or as many as it takes. Got nothing to prove to anyone by packing an elk out in 2 or less trips.

24-Aug-15
Normally 5 trips for me as well. 1st trip I take the tenderloins, backstraps, as well as neckt/rib scraps that I'll use for hamburger/sausage. Once I get that to camp, I'll exchange my bow for my packframe. One trip for each hindquarter, one trip for the front quarters, then antlers and more scrap meat go out on the last load.

One thing I've found to be worth their weight in gold are trekking poles. Not only do I use them to get to my feet with a heavy load, they're also great for helping with balance as you're packing.

24-Aug-15
Mad Angler

Exact reason I started to hunt with horses. I, like Bigdan, like to leave bone in. Also, although I am 15 years younger than Paul, I am not in as good as shape! ;)

24-Aug-15
2 miles down hill is a 3 trip pack out. I never seem to get that lucky so 4-5 trips is the norm depending on size and how rough the pack out is terrain wise.

I have boned when the pack out was brutal but prefer to leave the bone in on the quarters.

24-Aug-15
I can usually do a bull in 2 heavy trips, My wife and good friend shot cows a couple years ago both 3-4yr old cows and 3 of us took it all in 1 trip but it was only 4 miles and fairly easy walking. I do the gutless method and debone everything and take some neck meat but not the rib meat. I also cape my elk/deer in the field and cut the skull plate if its getting mounted, either way I still cape it and will sell the cape if not. This cuts down on a ton of weight then also

24-Aug-15
I always leave bone in, cut at knees, to hold it all together. I also leave the bone in to minimize the dried out trim when I cut the Elk up. This year I will bone the fronts but still leave femur in the hinds. I suspect not many have weighed an elk femur and just go with "they weigh a lot".

24-Aug-15
Or just bring your friends and pack 2 elk in 1 trip

24-Aug-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
with bones

24-Aug-15
4 loads - gutless and I leave the bone in (cut at the knee).

rear 1/4 rear 1/4

front 1/4 front 1/4 loins/neck/antlers

If its a cow, I will package front 1/4 loins / neck from each side into the last 2 bags.

Treking poles are a must as well.

24-Aug-15
I'm not gonna blow a disc in my back out to save a trip. I take the hams individually, a shoulder with a strap, and a big bag of neck/rib meat. Head with gear. 5 or 6 trips.

If it's just a mile or two, I'm not gonna bone it out. I like to keep the bones for soup and my dogs.

24-Aug-15
I leave the bone in on the hind quarters and take them off at the hip socket.

I bone everything else but it's usually four trips when hunting solo.

I don't like to bone the meat of the hinds as I like it to hang a bit while on the bone.

I don't mind boning out the front quarters and neck as much as most of that is burger meat anyway.

Just my .02 and the way I do it.

24-Aug-15
I'm with some others. It varies.

formula: terrain & distance X size of animal / packer(s) & equipment = how many loads

We've taken a rag bull out in 2 loads. Calf in one. A few others in 4 or 5.

Equipment matters too. If all a guy has is a small pack like an x-2 or something that will limit his loads as compared to a Kifaru or Barneys or something. I know folks that hunt with small packs for just that reason I think...... =D

I go gutless and pull the "quarters" off bone in, hang em up and debone top down right into the game bag, I try not to lay all the meat out if i can help it, lost a backstrap to a pretty bold fisher that way once.... 4 bags usually get it, hinds one each and deboned fronts + everything else in the other 2. I do carry a smaller 5th bag just in case.

Depending on what you are packing with the meat may be easier to handle bone in. If lashing to a frame or stuffing into a main bag bone in, while more weight, the bone gives the meat some structure. My pack I can add a separate smaller hanging bag just for deboned meat that keeps it all up high and in place on the frame. Lives in my kill kit with everything else until I need it.

24-Aug-15
Last year 3 of us killed a 2.5 and 4.5 year old bulls 7 miles from the truck. We deboned, and carried out both elk (including full skulls for euros) and camp in 2 trips. It sucked.

24-Aug-15
Gutless all the way. I hunt with a frame pack at all times and my fanny pack on the bottom of the frame. Each front quarter will have the rib and neck meat attached. The loins are separate. My first trip out will usually be both fronts. Each return trip will be a hind and loin, for a total of three trips counting the initial trip in for the kill. I cut the legs at the knees and leave the bones in for stability as well as keeping the meat from drying. Each hind quarter bone only weighs 8-10 pounds with the fronts a bit less. My best trip out was on a spike bull. I was hunting with a partner and we each took half. There was NO WAY I was going back to that spot, so we sucked it up. I think my skinny little self at 5'8" and 145 does pretty well!

24-Aug-15
For small to medium elk (~130-170 lbs meat, in line with Paul's #'s) I can usually do it in 3 trips, but the first trip is often just the backstraps and tenderloins on my daypack (20-30 lbs). Then 2 trips with a good packframe. I bone out everything, but don't usually mess with the ribs unless it is an easier haul. I do trim the neck and everything else real well. A bigger bull is a different matter, 5 or 6 trips, depending on other factors. Also I'm talking 1-3 miles typically for me, if I had to do 5 miles+ it would probably kill me. And as I get older the difference between a 60 lb pack and a 70 lb pack is becoming very noticeable, I rarely go over 60 now unless it's absolutely necessary.

24-Aug-15
I can tell you that after packing out my Large Cow Shiras Moose, I'll never gripe about packing out an elk rear quarter again...

In the heat, I would think leaving the meat on the bone would reduce loss.

Sounds like most do a rear quarter per trip out.

When I had the full bone and hoof Moose Rear Quarter on my Frame Pack, it was so heavy that the Plastic Hip Belt buckle exploded apart, so I had to tie it in a knot... Trekking poles were a big help.

24-Aug-15
Back when me and my buddies were really in shape and younger, we could pack out an elk on one trip, 2 guys carrying each a big pack filled to the max, with seams stretched. AND WALKING STICKS FOR BALANCE! Those sticks make a big difference when walking with a big weight on your shoulders. My buddy was an excellent butcher. We never carried out a bone except for antlers. Cut the meat as lean as possible as fat is just dead weight. And; forget about trying to saw an Elk leg in the middle of the mountains with any small hand held saw! Slice off everything but what is edible and 2 guys can getter done. On our last trip I killed a big fat cow for the meat on the last day of our hunt in Colorado. My buddy and I sat down and started skinning fast, as daylight was fading. Then the giant wasps somehow smelled the blood in the air and it was soon hundreds of huge mountain wasps trying to get some meat before the sun went down. I actually had to stop skinning and wave around two huge cedar limbs to keep the wasps at bay as my buddy skinned. It was amazing how those wasps were able to find the kill and go to work! I had never seen anything like it! Needless to say... I was so happy to have an excellent butcher on site! After many painful as hell wasp stings we each helped each other get their packs on and away we went. We went down hill for about a mile or so, sat our packs down at the edge of the road and walked to the truck, and then drove to the packs. 2 stout young men can do it. But skin it as lean as possible; don't leave a bone in your packs, and go slow and steady with walking sticks in each hand for aiding in balance. Falling with a 75 tp 125 lb pack on hurts. My pack was heavier than my buddies, as I kept the skin; rolled it up and tied it to my pack with ropes. No way I could do it now. But 2 stout young guys can pack out a boneless elk; even with swollen hands from wasp stings! LOL!!! Anyone else had to fight wasps/hornets over your mountain meat? LOL!!!

24-Aug-15
"And; forget about trying to saw an Elk leg in the middle of the mountains with any small hand held saw"!

Why would anyone do that, when they can disconnect the joint at the hock with just a small knife, and break it loose over their knee..it takes less than a minute.

Just wondering...

Best of Luck, Jeff

24-Aug-15
Four to 3 trips depending on the size of the animal.

24-Aug-15
TD pretty much summed up my answer word for word

no way anyone can say, '4 trips' it varies too much

24-Aug-15
We take all the meat we can. We carry two quarters at a time not boned. Sometimes I carry both rears but most of the time we each carry a front quarter and rear quarter. First trip down is usually everything except for the 4 quarters which are bagged and hanging in shade which we come back up for after we take everything else and get pack frames.

24-Aug-15

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo

24-Aug-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
depends on the landscape im always alone i leave the bone in due to grizz encounters time is of the essence . Antlers skull last haul .

JEFF u dont look to happy in that pic bent over like that not good .

24-Aug-15
Bigdan saved me some typing. "You guys that bone your meat must toss about 1/3 of your meat or more do to the amount of hair and dirt that gets on your meat. I leave the bone in the leg quarters. It takes me 5 trips one each for the hinds and I add the neck and boned out meat to the fronts. and the last trip is for the horns I remove all the hide and lower jaw from the head."

I couldn't agree more and 4 leg bones don't weight that much. Exposing more of the surfaces of my meat to the elements is not my idea of doing everything possible to have good quality meat and lots of it.

That said in Montana a group of us have a standing agreement. I don't care if you have to be at work in 6 hours and your wife is ready to kill you "Mayday!" means strap on your boots and get your arse on the way. And in Wyoming I use horses. :-)

24-Aug-15
5 trips like Bigdan and MulePower.

24-Aug-15
"JEFF u dont look to happy in that pic bent over like that not good "

Good call, Lou...I've been happier...it's a steep sumbich coming out of that hole!

24-Aug-15
I'm still young. 1 trip with 2 guys for all cows and immature bulls. Big bull 2 trips for 2 dudes.

24-Aug-15
Another decisive answer to a question on Bowsite! Everybody in complete agreement again! ;-)

24-Aug-15
If one is careful, and bone out the meat, there is no need to lose any of the meat to dirt and hair.

Been there, done that, no loss.

Use the cape or a space blanket as a table. Transfer the meat to bags upon cutting off and hang bags or place on a log.

My best, Paul

24-Aug-15
Another key Paul is make sure to cut the hide from inside out so you're not chopping/cutting hair. See lots of guys from outside in and it makes a real mess, deboned or not.

I carry a "zipper" blade that does that fast and real clean, has a skinner blade on it as well. A flexible 5" butchers boning knife for deboning. (Caping work I have a Havalon in the kit as well, just in case.=D) Like to hang "quarters" to work on if possible and let gravity slip the meat into the meat bag as you go.

One big advantage to deboning is in hot weather it drops the temps in the meat much faster. Sour meat starts at the hip socket and works it's way down through the thickest sections nearest to the big bones. "bone sour" is called that for a reason. At the very least get the hide off asap.

25-Aug-15
All of them, enjoy the experience.

--Bill

25-Aug-15
I will second Paul on the fact that boning out doesn't mean more hair and dirt. My main knife is a flexible boning knife and I can slip the meat off the femur in nothing flat, and I usually do it on the inside of the hide or sometimes on a plastic trash bag and then it goes straight into the game bag.

25-Aug-15
5-6 trips for me...depending on the size of the bull.

25-Aug-15
I do not save rib roll unless close to road/time/cool weather. I do save neck. I go totally boneless and use 2 game bags and can get it all out in 2 trips. HEAVY (100# or more) trips if a mature bull but I train year round and I am not that smart.

I do admit I get a lot of hair and dirt, I tend to rush myself, I have gotten better but still every time I am done I look at it and wonder how the heck I made such a mess (my own fault for rushing).

25-Aug-15
Before I get questioned a very good rule of thumb for elk (and deer) is 25% live weight in meat only. 700 pound bull = 175# of meat.

25-Aug-15
I leave bone in. 5 trips with horns and cape.

25-Aug-15
It depends so much on the terrain and the size of the elk.

I've packed a cow and a young bull out in one trip with 2 guys, but neither were fun.

I've also packed out mature bulls that have taken 4-5 trips solo.

I also do gutless and I bone out everything. I don't want to pack any more weight than necessary, especially when solo.

I think there are pros and cons to deboning. Pros are that the meat cools faster and the load is lighter. Dirt and hair are cons but you can keep that to a minimum if you're careful and use the hide, a tarp, space blanket or piece of Tyvek.

25-Aug-15

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
Here's how we do it. No loss due to hair, dirt, sticks, etc. Quarters and other "loose" meat hang overnight to cool out, get a thin skin and set for easy boning out.

25-Aug-15

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
Boned out hanging off the meat pole for packout. Meat comes off in one large piece and put into heavy duty 10 gal ziplock bags for transport. Doing it this way, 3 trips or 3 guys one trip.

25-Aug-15
I remember that morning. That meat was nice and cold! It's easy to debone meat and keep it in one big piece when it's hanging like this. Falls right into a bag with no dirt, hair, or sticks on it. We did the same thing on the bull I killed a few days earlier. Mine was a 5X4 drop tine club bull and this one was a nice 6X6.

25-Aug-15
Ive done it solo in 4 trips, but it damn near killed me. I Dont want to do it again. Gonna take 5 or 6 next time. Or get horses or help....

26-Aug-15
1 trip for mature bull, all meat, antlers, and cape. Oh and spike camp also, solo.

26-Aug-15
Is this the Franzen from "Hans und Franzen" ...you must be seriously "Pumped Up" ;)

26-Aug-15
Boy, "hair and dirt" in your meat....thats terrible

I bone right into my game bags- no flys no dirt. I take care not touch contaminated parts with my hands or knife...and then touch the meat- plus I wear latex gloves so no bacteria from my hands.

Heck, I plan on eating it...

26-Aug-15
It will depend on the animal as others have stated but, by yourself, no less than 3 is remotely possible unless you are close to the road. A Game bag per trip or pack. One thing to remember in trimming out all the meat is unless you are going to be able to get it to the butcher quickly, those small trimmings will dry up and be throw out by the butcher. Not ground into burger like we all want it to be.

Take the time to de-bone it. It isn't any quicker than a extra trip but, it is a lot easier. Count on a bag per pack or trip. And take sensible loads

God Bless

26-Aug-15
I debone my elk on the spot. much easier to pack and carry. I have carried quarters 2-3 miles mostly downhill before but not for a long time.

26-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
One trip with my little mule. we left the head

26-Aug-15
LOL!

wait... I think I can see the "void"..... =D

Reminds me of a story a buddy told me when his partner hurt himself lifting a hind quarter off a bull they were working up..... hit his head on the swing out tire carrier....

26-Aug-15
Ouch City. I know a place where you can see elk right off the road. Problem is, the hike is a little less severe than your photos. I've hunted it alot, it's lIke a zoo in there with all the animals as nobody drops in two days in a row. I always feared killing one in there as its a long ways up. That and it's East facing so it gets hot quick.

Ouch

27-Aug-15
someone posted amount of meat of an elk, must be some small elk.

my first big bull was 5.5 miles and 2700 vertical net change, ONE WAY. first night was near dark and i had not eaten that day, i was out of food. i ran the 5.5 miles with all my gear after gutting the elk. myself and two others came to help the next day. we boned out everything. my friends pack was well over 100 pounds, my pack was high 80's not including the antlers, the third person was a smaller woman, she carried the cape, our extra food for the day, and the loins and tenderloins. after one day of recovery, i went back for the last hind quarter, after being boned out and all fat trimmed, it was 64 pounds. in all, we brought out 289 pounds of MEAT, no bones. after being trimmed and packaged it was 212 pounds of meat. these numbers are not estimates, we weighed the meat on a scale. that bull scored only 283. it is also the only animal where i have weighed all the meat. I have killed bigger, but never that far in.

unless i am a short distance from a vehicle, i never carry bone. i packed a moose by myself once, only about a half mile, i did it in 4 trips including the cape and antlers.

27-Aug-15
I tend to agree with you maravia.

I didn't want to say this for fear of being called a liar but the bull I killed in 2013 was the biggest elk I've ever seen up close. I weighed all the boneless meat and I got over 300 pounds. His gross score was 360". I also got over 200 pounds of boneless meat off of a bull that grossed 285".

27-Aug-15
I've never downed a big bull, but my two cows and young spike each yielded 90# of picked-clean, well-trimmed meat.

Because I'm not Superman and also had the luxury of dunking the meat in a stream to stay cool, each one has taken me three 45# trips (including hunting gear).

This year I'm going to hold out for a decent bull, and before I drop the string I'll need to consider distance from the truck, terrain, and weather.

27-Aug-15
If you are close to a trail fine. But other than that I'm not sure why anyone would want to carry a bunch of elk bones 2 or 3 miles through the moutains. I will also be taking a one wheel game cart and a fat wheel moutain bike this year. Oh, and also my knee brace.

27-Aug-15
Orange Feather,

I'd love to watch you try to get that game cart out of the holes I kill my elk in.

I leave the bones in for stability of load. I'm going over, under blowdown timber, twisting through tight brush laden game trails, and gaining 2000 feet of elevation in two miles, no roads, no horse trails.

I always have my trekking pole in my hand to help me keep from screwing up my joints.

On public land, elk are where you find them. That's where I go ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Aug-15
One thing to remember (at least where I'm at) is flies are a huge issue. I've yet to find a game bag where they will not blow through and keeping the whole quarter together protects it as it's easier to brush the eggs off. When it's boned out, it becomes a real mess.

This year I'm packing in a mosquito net to set up over the quarters when I leave. It's that bad.

27-Aug-15
I pack a small tarp to toss the quarters on to bone out. If flies are around I will bring a small bottle of citric acid to spray the outside of the bags.

I just put the dry powder in a spray bottle and fill it w/ a little drinking water when needed. It kept the flies at bay when I shot my oryx in 85* heat in the middle of the desert.

27-Aug-15
The bones in a hind quarter weigh less than 6 lbs. and No one can skin an elk on the ground and not get hair and dirt on it. Sorry guys can't be done your kidding your self.. I have been in on over 100 elk kills The only hair and dirt free elk is that are hung hole and skinned like a beef.

27-Aug-15
I always carry one of the Mylar silver survival blankets. Not really a blanket. It comes folded up the size of a deck of cards and weighs nothing. It folds out to around 5x6'. Spread that out and lay all your meat on that while your working on an animal. When your done with it just wad it up and shove it in your pocket. Keeps your meat clean. Also makes a great water proof cover. I carry several. Very important, if you hunt with others make sure they are in way better shape than you. The younger the better. I have a son in law that played college football as a linebacker. He can carry me and a loaded back pack.

27-Aug-15

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This is the guy you want as a hunting partner!!!

27-Aug-15
To say you don't get one speck of dirt on meat is a stretch, but to say its going to get covered in dirt and hair is a stretch the other way. If you luck out on flat ground w/ a tarp it is very easy to keep the meat reasonably clean. I don't know if I'd like the space blanket idea, I'm afraid it will lack the durability and perhaps tear too much w/ the occasional poke, maybe that tvek stuff would hold? This past year my tarp doubled as a rain shelter while the meat cooled.

27-Aug-15
"I always carry one of the Mylar silver survival blankets"

That's a good tip, DL. I carry one also, never thought of using it like that.

I usually skin one whole side at a time all the way up to the middle of the back, and stretch the hide out to lay the meat on.

If I use the space blanket...I could be a little less meticulous about the skinning process.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Aug-15
Ditto Dan. Anything exposed to air alone isn't the same as fresh skinned.

Not only do I pack my quarters bone in but hide on too. What the hell else do I have to do right? That's called "Nature's Game Bag". Nothing beats peeling it off after the meat is cold just before you are going to cut it up. Eliminates the fly problem too. Eliminates every problem really. Your back has 360 days to heal up after that anyway. :-)

28-Aug-15
Mine comes right off the bone and right into a bag. Very little dirt or hair for me, just take your time. I dont like meat exposed to air either. I have also never had flies get through my meat sacks? Those must be some wicked flies!

28-Aug-15
And that's the secret right there - take your time (and think about it before plowing into it head first).

29-Aug-15
If you pack out all four legs and feet it will likely be closer to 30-40#

If you do not skin it more like 50# or more. If you skin but leave on one you save little exposure if you do below:

Also if you do it right you produce very little extra exposed surface. Make 1 cut. Cut to bone then filet around bone (kinda like a rib roll) making 1 piece of meat not 3-4 like I used to (and most still do). Meat will easily and naturally take original shape (like on bone) and leave very little extra meat exposed - and save almost a full round trip.

31-Aug-15
I don't have too much experience in this area as I have only had to pack elk out 5 times in the last 8 years of hunting elk. Of those 5 times one was quartered with bone and hide left in/on and packed it 1.5 miles over level land using paracord for the pack straps. Bad News. One was dragged out whole, .8 miles down hill the whole ways, small elk like a super large muley. One was cut in half and tied to a bicycle and wheeled out 2 miles. Pretty slick and least amount of effort involved, but easy terrain. The other two were skinned and quartered and packed out with bone in quarters for structure. I weighed the bones from the last bull that I packed out and it came up to 26-28 lbs of just bone packed out. The legs were cut off at the elbows.

I take my time skinning and cutting the meat off the animals so it does take me about 3 time longer than the average Joe (about 3.5 hours on the last bull) but I have meat when I get home that has almost no dirt and at most about 25 hairs to remove. I also am getting quite a bit more meat off the critters than a lot of folks here. The last bull got a little bit dirtier because I forgot to pack my game bags in my pack. I weighed every piece of meat that got wrapped and came up with about 218 lbs of wrapped meat. I also weighed all the trimmings (fat and silvermeat) and got right about 38 lbs trimmed. That puts the total meat and bone hauled out right about at 283 lbs not including the head.

This bull roughly scored 287 by my own measurements. I will bone all meat from here on out if I have more than a mile to pack out. I will also carry game bags every time so that the trimming pile will be much smaller. I figure this will save me one round trip.

31-Aug-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I agree flybyjohn, well over 300 lbs on this guy and that's not including head, antlers, cape or bones.

01-Sep-15
6 pounds for a leg bone? not the elk i kill.

i shot a cow two weeks ago, the largest cow in the group, i drove my car to within 70 yards of where she died, so i brought the quarters out with the bones in them. after sitting in the fridge for a week and then trimmed off and packaged, i would guess that rear leg bones, upper and lower are more like 10 to 15 pounds. not both quarters, just one. leaving the hide on the quarter is a way to keep that side clean, no doubt. but archery season is quite warm, i prefer to take the fur coat off my elk so that it cools. leaving the hide on is not a good idea for most of the season. one bull i killed about 12 years ago was just before dark. i gutted it, skinned what i could get to and propped it open as best i could. the neck was laying over a log so it was off the ground. the next morning the meat on the neck was already green and stinky. that night was not as warm as some.

boning out a quarter is also a good way to help it cool faster. the only meat that i lose to air exposure is where the muscle itself was cut loose.

i gave up on mesh game bags many years ago, never seemed to keep the flies out. i also gave up on the pepper idea. i gut it as fast as possible, skin one half and take the loin and quarters off the top side, then roll the animal over and do the other side. having the gut pile removed helps give the flies something else to land on. if the flies are not bad i draped the quarters over logs to keep them relatively clean and maintain air circulation. if the flies are bad they go into trash bags immediately.

a 300 class bull around here is going to go about 800 to 900 pounds live weight, i have always figured about 30% of live weight is boned out weight. even a yearling cow will go 350 or better.

01-Sep-15
You cut your quarters at the ball socket you don't have that much bone weight. and you must have the biggest elk in north America if you have 350 yearlings. I have taken a mature cow gutted with the hide still on and never had one bigger than 275 that's the whole elk with out the head. you guys do it your way and I will do it mine.

01-Sep-15
i have had field dressed deer on the locker plant scale at 205. they are tiny compared to elk.

next one i get where i can take a machine out to pick it up i will weigh one.

01-Sep-15
I think that mite be a good Idea I have never got a whole bull unskined to a scale. I have got a rig to them but could not load one by myself whole.

01-Sep-15
It is physically almost impossible to get more then 25% of the live weight in meat.

20% guts

20% skin/horns

20% bones/sinew

another 15% in fat not used, cartalidge, brain, hooves etc.

Trust me this has been rehased many times and everyone thinks I am low - but the guys who carefully weigh it all and take off fat added, pork, etc always agree.

I read a looong book about the biology of elk, how they are made up - they have literally taken an elk apart and weighed everything.

Sorry guys, kind of like the 180# field dressed whitetail doe I always hear about................

01-Sep-15
I've been a butcher for 25 years now. I've seen it all believe me. Never a good idea to leave the hide on an elk in early season. Never a bull in any season. I've seen a lot of cow elk weigh in over 300 lbs on my scale gutted, skinned, no head. a good majority of people over estimate the weight of their animals. The average cow will weigh anywhere between 240 lbs to 270 lbs. whole carcass. Average rag horn bull 270-300 lbs. 5X5 bull average will be 300-350. Big bulls will weigh 380-450. Really, really, really big bulls will weigh 450-500. I've seen 2 bulls in 25 years weigh in at the 500 lb mark.

I weighed the leg bones from a pig just the other day and it weighed in at 6 lbs. A bull has leg bones more than twice that size.

It's best to debone the quarters in one big piece if you know how to do it properly. If not, leave the bone in and debone later for easier cooler transportation, flight home, etc.

I like to skin one side, cut of quarters, backstraps, rib meat and hang in a tree. roll the elk over and do that side the same way. Open the belly and let the guts roll out then take the whole tenderloin. Let it all cool over night then back the next day to debone and pack out. There are two pictures above showing this method.

01-Sep-15
i guess i will have to get my scale out this year. most likely the bull i kill will be a few miles in and no chance of weighing it. but, the neighbor will almost certainly kill his where i can get a machine to it. my scale only goes to 400 though.

the reason you never see bulls over 500 pounds on the scale is they are too big to get out whole!

i personally weighed the meat only off my bull from 1998, after it was deboned, and lightly trimmed, it was 289. since i have never brought out a big bull whole, it is impossible to get an accurate measurement of its weight live.

i am saying LIVE weight of an animal to processed meat is 30%, on the bigger animals it is a little higher.

i had a few elk quarters processed professionally a couple years ago, i got FAR less back than when i do it myself.

i did weigh a deer a few years back, not a particularly large deer. it was 205 without guts, lower legs, or head. a cow elk dwarfs a deer.

02-Sep-15
I am calling BS

http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B594R.pdf

02-Sep-15
Many forget:

- fat added - ice - bones - pork/other meat added - skin - cooler/pack weight

Study above basically says no one gets over 290#'s (270# max plus 20# variance).

02-Sep-15
I am sorry what I meant to say was many of you are killing record book (weight) animals:)

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06504.html

02-Sep-15
Oh yeah, and to get 290# you have to kill a bull 10-1/2 years old, and kill a bigger then average 10-1/2 year old bull to get the 20# "spread".

02-Sep-15
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/oas/oas_pdf/v47/p406_413.pdf

02-Sep-15
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=403070&forum=5

I like TD's comment

02-Sep-15
I filled two, 120 qt coolers to the brim with boned meat from a NM bull a few years ago. Not enough room in the coolers to put a full bag of crushed ice in each one. When I got back to OR I went to Huffmans as he's a processor and I trimmed what little fat there was on his counter then he weighed the meat on his scale.

330 pounds.

02-Sep-15
I killed a bull elk and got 330#'s of just ground meat!!!!!! 120#'s of back-strap, and the tenderloins were #80 each. Oh that was a great tasting elk!!!!

I think Big Dan, Don and butcher boy need to work on their processing skills, cause obviously they are way be hind the curve!!!

02-Sep-15
260 lbs of packaged meat off the largest bull I have harvested. We used to always weigh the meat because we split it 50/50, most decent 5x5's would be just shy of 200 cows 160 ish Kinda shocked at how many think hair and bone keep meat clean and cool? And an elk leg bone weighs 6#?

02-Sep-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
80lb tenderloins??? Each??

Come on man....

02-Sep-15
BowCrossSkin- You just spewed forth the funniest and most exaggerated amounts on processed meat I have ever heard. I think I can teach you a thing or two about processing.

It's not wise to come on a public forum and insult a butcher that has way more experience than you could possibly imagine. A thousand times more experience. I've spent 25 years trying to educate people about processing meat, field care, meat yield, etc. Some listen and learn, some don't.

02-Sep-15
All I can say is I try to bring out as much meat as I can. If shot 6/8 hours hike back in, not as much. But at the minimum (gutless) deboned legs, back straps t-loins.. If shot a mile from the road I'd bring out more. Maybe with leg bone in. The one elk that one of the guys shot close to the road was pack out with the bone in it and some cut off meat. But they we're only 1 1/2 hours from road. Always 4 guys one trip.. But you guys know that there is to many variable to how a elk is broke down, you shot one hours hike back in. Your not going to break it down the same as if you shot it a hour from the road. Now I'm talking man power not horses, mules or internal combustion engines..

Now if I shot a elk that had 300 lbs of meat on it I'd be so high. I think I could pack it out all by myself in one trip :)..

Just me and how I do it.. Ed

02-Sep-15

Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
Both the front and back leg bones weigh about 15 lbs, I've weighed them several times.

This is from a 6 pt bull, all boned out. Head had complete skull on it less the bottom jaw, no skin.

02-Sep-15

From a smaller 6 pt bull. Weighed the Euro skull before and after boiling, the before weight did not have the lower jaw on the skull. There is some weight savings if you sat down and carved on it a bit before you hauled it out.

Again all boned out #s

02-Sep-15

Never underestimate the value of a scale hanging in your garage to squash pack weight rumors;)

02-Sep-15
our biggest bull to date was a pinch over 1000lbs whole of course, only produced 286lbs cut and wrapped!!! 330 LBS of burger NO!80lbs loins NO! your scales way off or you added a 0 hahahaha Mr.Butcher I was out yesterday doing more set up and looking them over and Ive got some 600lbs + bulls running around , Washington State does have the biggest Roosevelt

MikeC.. I dont get to hunt elk this year! well maybe!! just gotta wait and see

02-Sep-15
LOLLLL So hard to convey sarcasm on-line!!

"BowCrossSkin- You just spewed forth the funniest and most exaggerated amounts on processed meat I have ever heard. I think I can teach you a thing or two about processing."

Yes i did. That would be cool Chad, I don't even get close to the number stated by others.

"I think Big Dan, Don and butcher boy need to work on their processing skills, cause obviously they are way be hind the curve!!!"

If you read this as sarcasm, which it is 100% its supposed to be a joke.

Big Dan is a living legend and any advice he gives is invaluable.

Don had very good reports of other studies.

Butcherboy hell your a butcher you do it for a living, if anyone knows what there talking about it would be you!!

I hope everyone has a great hunt!!!!

02-Sep-15
Lol BowCrossSkin, I was hoping you'd pop back in and confirm that.

I'm going to believe Butcherboy, Big Dan, and Don (for the reasons you stated above)...and their estimates are right along with mine.

Some of you other guys should think about having someone come and calibrate the scales that were used.

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Sep-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I believe the 300#'s of meat from a big bull- I've seen it myself.

That bull I shot in Utah was the size of a moose. I think we were more amazed at his azz end than his antlers.

02-Sep-15
I would have called bs if I hadn't seen it. Next time you shoot an Elk fill a 120 qt cooler to the point of taping the lid closed, with nothing but muscles and semi trimmed meat and see what you get for weight, then dbl it. I've never come close to that amount before or since.

Nice Bull bud, have a fun hunt this year.

02-Sep-15
Elk and other animals are somewhat like people.... there's lil ones like me and there's big ones like Beendare and Danny. All WAY fully mature, heheheheh.... just different genetics.

I'm sure there are exceptional individual animals just as there are NFL linemen and NBA centers. Just nothing anyone would say was "normal". Then there are old decathlon champs......

02-Sep-15
I have only used a butcher once to cut my meat. It was a deer. Most butchers I think will cut all the silver meat off and if the meat gets dirty, trim at least 1/4" off all around the outsides of the meat. to me that is a lot of waste. I keep my meat extremely clean to the point of pulling out all the stray hairs before it goes into the game bag. No silver meat is cut off of my meat except for the fore arms/legs areas that have a lot of tendon type silver meat and then that is filleted off. I have found that silver meat does not taint the taste of the meat at all and can be cut off after cooking. If being ground up, then it will grind just fine with a sharp cutter blade. If the meat trimmings for burger get dried out then a day with all the other meat in a plastic garbage bag in the refrigerator will rehydrated it just fine.

Lets just say that I asked the butcher how much meat I should expect off my sons mule deer last year so I could get the appropriate amount of sausage seasoning. They said I would be lucky to get 45lbs and at most 50 lbs of meat. I cut it myself and weighed every bag of meat and came up with 78 lbs of deer meat and that deer had been shot 3 times so I had thrown out quite a bit of bloodshot meat. I am not saying anything bad about butchers as they are fast and know what they are doing, but saving the most possible meat on an animal that they can cost extra money and is not worth it if you have to charge someone for it so they don't spend the time or try to salvage every speck of meat from an animal. Doing it myself, I have that option and take advantage of it.

The average weights of processed meat from animals is probably weighted pretty heavily towards the butcher's weights and not necessarily the DIY meat processor.

A butchers reputation is on the line every time he cuts up an animal and will probably error on the side of throwing out a little bit of good meat if it is in the least bit questionable. I am eating the meat that I process and I haven't gotten sick yet from any meat that I processed.

02-Sep-15
BowCrossSkin

Funny! I thought you were joking but you played it well.

Good stuff!

02-Sep-15
I'm glad you were joking. I was hoping you were actually and I apologize for reacting so harshly. It's easy to do on the internet. I'm a pretty easy going guy and can BS with the best of them!

02-Sep-15
I've packed a bull out in one trip before. About 3/4 miles to the trail then another 3.5 miles to the truck. Could hardly stand up. The bull was a Colorado bull that scored 281".

A Washington bull my buddy killed that scored 359" hind quarters weighed 75 and 74 lbs with the bone in. A bull I killed in Washington that scored 350" the hind quarters were 83 lbs with the bone out.

The two bulls killed in Washington the parts we weighed were weighed on calibrated shipping scales.

Most of the bulls we kill we pack out in 3 loads total.

The bull I killed in Colorado last year I packed solo in 2 trips. All just depends on the size of the bull. Also when it comes to your animal having more or less dirt I think it has nothing to do with boning out in the field or back at camp. It has more to do with the person doing the deboning. To claim otherwise means you aren't very good at one of the techniques.

• Sitka Gear