CurveBow 24-Aug-15
Rob in VT 24-Aug-15
Rob in VT 24-Aug-15
kota-man 24-Aug-15
Jim in PA 24-Aug-15
kota-man 24-Aug-15
CurveBow 25-Aug-15
24-Aug-15
Friends are heading to Newfoundland next month for a firearms moose hunt. I'm going with 2 other friends in late October, also for a gun hunt.

A few months ago there was a fiasco regarding obtaining an "employer number" or something like that. I know that the US State Department temporarily suspended the implementation of that regulation, but have heard no update as a "suspension" means that it could come back at any time.

Is anyone aware of the current situation? Is it just the regular Canadian Firearms Declaration Form?

>>>>----Thanks------->

24-Aug-15
For now, it is the same as it has always been. You may want to get the Customs 4457 form done in addition to the Canadian Firearms Declaration to avoid any issues. Whenever I've been asked for my "US Firearms Paperwork/license" while hunting abroad, I flash them my 4457 and it has always sufficed.

Upon re-entry into the States, they may ask for the 4457 as well. (The 4457 proves you owned the firearm before you went to Canada. The Candian Declaration SHOULD do the same thing, but I've been asked specifically for a 4457 upon re-entry.

I hunt at least 4 times a year Internationally (2 out of 4 trips this year already) and as long as you have the 4457 to cover the US side and the forms for the country you are going to, you are good to go...at least for now.

24-Aug-15
Coming through Anchorage from Kamchatka this month the first thing they asked for was a 4457. I have only been asked for it once before but it seemed much more important this time. Easy to get if you are any where near an airport or other customs location

24-Aug-15
kota & Jim - thanks! Question - the 4457 form - It has to be signed by a Customs Agent or where? We just have to fill it out, bring it and have it signed in advance of our trips?

All of us are driving and crossing the border in Northern Maine, near the Houlton International Airport into New Brunswick on the way to the Ferry crossing in North Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Thanks again!

24-Aug-15
You can have your items verified before you cross for your hunt. Just stop at US Customs before crossing.

24-Aug-15
I put things like my camera, scope, and binocs on it. They could case less about those, but will verify serial numbers on firearms.

24-Aug-15
Get it signed before you go if you can. Just take it to your nearest customs office ( with the firearm) and get it verified and signed.

24-Aug-15
I agree with Kota, do it before if possible. Near my office is a county airport which handle a lot of private company jets. They have a customs agent on during the day and night by appointment. The agent is usually bored so I have no problem just popping in. You are technically supposed to list anything of real value but I don't think they care about much other than guns. Wouldn't hurt to list high end bino's or spotter if your taking them. At the very least I would call where you plan to cross and make sure they will accommodate you.

24-Aug-15
I would do one 4457 form per gun and one for all the other stuff. Tends to avoid confusion when you have stuff on the 4457 that you don't actually have with you.

25-Aug-15
OK, thanks folks. I'll get the 4457's distributed to friends and work on getting them signed in advance.

This site rocks as I sent 30 minutes yesterday trolling at the SCI website, but couldn't locate any information about the suspended regulation. I knew you folks would come through!! :)

• Sitka Gear