Medicinemann 25-Aug-15
Sage Buffalo 25-Aug-15
Kdog 25-Aug-15
Sage Buffalo 25-Aug-15
Bou'bound 25-Aug-15
TMA1010 25-Aug-15
PAstringking 25-Aug-15
24-Aug-15
I'm heading up to Newfoundland in early October for a moose hunt with MVO. I've been staying active and feel like I am in pretty good shape. Getting this close I've been checking out a lot of pictures online and noticed that a lot of guys who have hunted up there (hero pics) seem to be in, let's say not the greatest shape. It got me wondering how physically demanding the hunts are up there because a few guys on here have said it can be a tough hunt. So that got me wondering how a moose hunt up there compares to a CO elk hunt. I think I could handle the hunting I did last year in CO from 10,000 to 12,000 feet just fine right now, hopefully that will be good enough for Newfoundland moose, even if I don't think I could chase mountain goats right now. So how would you guys compare the two?

24-Aug-15
To get the most out of a NF hunt, you need to be in as good of shape as you can be. You won't have the elevation to deal with but you will have bogs, rocks and big slopes.

My first trip to "the rock" I was out of shape and over weight. I suffered. For subsequent trips I trained, lost weight and got in shape and enjoyed the hunt much more.

If you are hunting elk at 10-12k, you will be fine.

24-Aug-15
I agree with Kota. The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy it but it sounds like you will be fine. I hunted caribou with MVO a few years ago and shared camp with some moose hunters. The out of shape guys still killed moose but they sure didn't get to see the amount of country, or look over as many bulls, as those who could cover ground.

24-Aug-15
I should add, I too hunted with Dean and MVO twice. Once for caribou and a combo hunt for moose and caribou. What a great outfit/people.

24-Aug-15
Not to hijack, but that combo hunt is on the bucket list!

Mark

24-Aug-15
It's a good one...The people of Newfoundland are second to none and the Island is beautiful in a different way than our Western Mountains. I've actually done the combo a few times in Newfoundland. Once with Dean and a couple times with another outfit. Some of my favorite hunts of all time.

24-Aug-15
TMA

Congrats on an excellent hunt. I've hunted twice with MVO, top notch outfit. Dean is great and you will be fed well. IMO there isn't too much of a comparison. When I elk hunt I hike for miles, sleep out of a tent, hunt long and hard days (leaving and returning in the dark) and come back to a freeze dried meal and tent. Then again these are all part of the elk DIY experience, which I wouldn't trade for anything.

MVO you do get up bright and early and roll out after being filled up for breakfast, there is plenty of glassing after hiking up a few hills. Unless you are going to try and talk them into Kellogs bog you won't hike anything like elk hunting, when you return dinner is served piping hot, plenty of seconds to go around as you sit at a nice table with lights and then retire to the cabin for a hot shower and nice bed.

Just my .000002 cents so take it what it's worth. They are both exciting hunts just much different but that is ok! Enjoy.

25-Aug-15
I did the combo hunt with MVO last year. LungBuster's description is spot on. My CO elk hunts were much more physically demanding then my hunt in Newfoundland. I think you should be good to go. We would normally take the boat across the lake in the morning. Take a short hike and then glass and call. You will have a great time with Dwayne and the other guides at camp!

25-Aug-15
Put on a pair of rubber boots, and go walk everyday in your nearest marshy area. The more miles you walk, the better.

25-Aug-15
TMA it all depends on how far you have to go and how much you really want a moose if you spot one several miles away.

My last moose hunt we spotted one that was a LONG way to get to. My guide actually said he has never had a hunter go that far to get one.

Both my hunts were much more demanding than any of my elk hunts because of the tuckamore and bogs I had to get through.

Like many have said, be in shape and you will be fine. Don't let Newfoundland fool you it can be physically demanding.

As in many hunts, some guys shoot animals right out from camp and some have to travel miles. I always like to be prepared for the later.

25-Aug-15
Good luck on your hunt, please let us know how it goes.

25-Aug-15

Sage Buffalo's Link
Here's a video of my (gun) hunt.

It has little action video because I shot it first day and we jumped it like a pheasant after we put a great stalk on but they can hide in the Tuckamore. Got to the last patch and he bolted.

You can see how far we hiked as we came from the top of that enormous mountain to where I am shooting the video.

BTW This is a great video to see the structure of the land as we helicoptered in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrM9rWzh4rg

25-Aug-15
7 Newfoundland hunts and five with mvo. Dean is the best and you will be fine. You use binos more than your legs.

25-Aug-15
Great info guys - thanks for all of the responses. I think I should be fine to keep my current work out regime going. I emailed a buddy this week saying how bummed I am that I won't have any screaming bulls (elk) in my face this year, but hopefully I'll get to watch a nice bull (moose) do the head tilting stiff legged walk to me. I'm really excited, I hope September guys by.

25-Aug-15
I must say...after hunting with Dean at MVO...you will have a much better hunt if you can walk.

Its a great area with some very big bulls...but once they are spotted you will need to make it happen.

Good luck on your hunt

• Sitka Gear