bowcrazyJRHCO 26-Aug-15
stealthykitty 26-Aug-15
MathewsMan 26-Aug-15
gil_wy 26-Aug-15
IdyllwildArcher 26-Aug-15
Bullhound 26-Aug-15
Cazador 26-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
With all the helpful post about elk hunting that have popped up this week. Here is another one. For the last two years all I have packed is my Havalon and a pocket knife. Does anyone pack a small folding saw? I have left mine in the truck to save every once I can for the 5 mile hike to spike camp. I would think it would be handy for on a Bull but not required either. I do like to have a camp fire as well every once in awhile. But then again have made do without the last two years.

Maybe if I bring a saw its the deciding factor on changing my luck.

26-Aug-15
I don't pack one, but I don't skull cap animals as I prefer to do a full skull mount. If I planned to shoulder mount, absolutely I would pack a saw. That saw weighs FAR less than the whole head would otherwise. For fires I've always just snapped/broken branches and made it work.

26-Aug-15
I'm bringing a small Gerber folding saw this Year, only because I'm packing a tree stand in, and I'll surely have to do some serious limbing.

Last Season, I skull capped my bull using a small lightweight cable saw.

Best of Luck, Jeff

26-Aug-15
I carry a couple saws. One is a Wyoming Saw II. Easy to assemble and comes with a bone blade, as well as a wood blade. Wood blade's come in handy more than once when the elk decided to die in the middle of a blowdown.

The other saw I carry is a little 6" Gerber Vital Saw. Since I use the gutless method, it works great for cutting away a small section of ribs. Makes it real easy to get the tenderloins out.

26-Aug-15
You don't need a saw to get the tenderloins out. You would only need one to saw off the antlers or to cut wood.

26-Aug-15
There's probably lots of things I don't need, but since it makes it easier for me, it's what I want.

26-Aug-15
X2 on the Wyoming Saw II.

Very handy product!

26-Aug-15
Havalon makes saw blades for the Baracuta. I got the combo and will carry it this year. Have any others tried this tool?

26-Aug-15
A small folding saw is always in my pack. Came in very handy on a fly-in fishing trip last week when gathering firewood. Drift wood doesn't break so easily, and burns awesome.

26-Aug-15
I carry a small folding saw from wicked tree gear. It's a very nice little saw. I do the "gutless" method as well but end up opening them at the end and letting everything roll out to the side. Then I take the tenderloins and the heart. Use the saw for the skullcap and cutting wood.

26-Aug-15

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
We've taken these very light weight saws on a couple trips to AK and used them on moose hunts. They rip through bone like no one's business and weigh next to nothing. Gotta remember you are cutting on the back-stroke with them though. PlumBest Pipe saw.

26-Aug-15
Wicked folder is going with me.

26-Aug-15
Wyoming II Saw for me!

26-Aug-15
I used to carry one but it's a non necessity now imo. If you do need one you can grab it on a trip back in To tote one all the time is foolish.

26-Aug-15
Thanks guys for your comments. It's just something that poped up in my head. Like I said I have gotten by without one and think I could continue to do so. I actually have the Havalon Baracuta and a saw blade for it. I am going to bring it just in case. After I find where I put it.

26-Aug-15
Little lightweight gerber I have had for 20 years and I bring a little pruner. Neither weigh much at all. Just in case i get in a situation where I need to trim a limb quick, or to cut up firewood this year for the new stove.

26-Aug-15
Wyoming Saw. No brainer.

26-Aug-15

Mad_Angler's Link
I love this saw. It made pretty quick work of a moose. We carry out ALL the meat on the bone.

The saw was used to cut the leg bones at the knee, cut the ribs from the spine, cut the brisket from the ribs, cut the spine in three section, and cut off the head

26-Aug-15
I"ve used "Wicked" and "Wyoming"...Both excellent saws.

I've broke a Gerber and one other. I don't think you could break a Wicked or a Wyoming if you wanted to .

26-Aug-15
I have a saw that I bought from a hardware store that weighs next to nothing!!! It takes standard saws all blades and I've used it many times and wouldn't leave home without it.

26-Aug-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I pack this saw. It is extremely light, works on bone or wood, has teeth like a chainsaw and I've sharpened it with chainsaw file.

Also, I bought replacement blades for a Wyoming saw and I went to Menards and bought the cheapest lightest hack saw I could find. I installed the Wyoming blades into the hack saw and made a saw that is much lighter than the Wyoming saw

26-Aug-15
Full draw I just used the havalon saw on my antelope, it's light sharp, I cut off the legs to test it out. Worked fast and great!!!

However, because of where the saw attaches to the knife you cannot use the whole blade when going through a full skull plate as you would with say a 10" pruning saw. I will carry it with me for elk deer bear but I'm trying to bring back a full skull.

26-Aug-15
Saws are not necessary for working on game. Only if you want to cut the skull cap. A knife works just as well on leg joints and it is probably faster than a saw when you know what you are doing. But they sure are handy for cutting fire wood. Making shelters, or quick makeshift blinds.

Wyoming saws are too heavy. Gerber folding saws are too flimsy. But both work pretty good.

I now have a Bahco Laplander. Now I'm happy.

26-Aug-15
I just researched this last week. I used a folding saw last year and it took forever to saw the skullplate. Just bought a Wyoming Saw based on recommendations like the one posted here. I am not carrying the wood blade, only the bone blade.

26-Aug-15
Wyoming original bone saw

nothing compares IMO

26-Aug-15
Cheesehead- that saw is one I must have a knock-off brand of as it looks identical but is not a Gerber. I have it in my treestand stuff for branches and putting up stands. Never tried it on bone yet.

I usually have the Kodi-Kit with the Kodi-Saw either in my pack or at the Truck if I am not far from the vehicle.

I don't have one for this year, but in the past and on my Moose hunt I had a Cordless Sawsall and that with a 12" blade on it made for easy hacking apart a moose.

26-Aug-15
SOG folder.. It has the longest folder blade I've found.

I only use it to cut skull plates but I will pack the 12 oz. to avoid potentially packing an extra 12-15 lbs..

26-Aug-15
I love my Gerber for cutting wood, but it sucks for cutting ribs.

26-Aug-15
Wyoming saw for me!

26-Aug-15
Stay away from the Gerber folding saw. The one I'm referring to is not like the one Cheesehead has. I've been through no less than five of them. They are flimsy, may get you through one skull if you're lucky. They tend to snap right at the push button that locks, and unlocks the saw. If you do go with it, the wood saw works way better than the bone for caping elk.

• Sitka Gear