Chad429 10-Aug-17
Hunt98 10-Aug-17
JeffMartin 10-Aug-17
Jim B 10-Aug-17
JeffMartin 10-Aug-17
07-Sep-15

Jack Harris's MOBILE embedded Photo

So Charlie mentioned the Gorilla problem. My buddy and I checked a big gorilla stand and a cable broke which was scary. 5 minutes to remove all bolts. A trip to Home Depot for two pieces of 31" chain rated at 340 lbs. four 2.5" zinc bolts washers lock washers and rubber washers. 10 minutes to bolt it back together. PIECE OF CAKE! Will make no noise whatsoever once hung.

07-Sep-15

Before a new paint job.

07-Sep-15

A quick spray with some green and black I had laying around and a week in sun and weather to kill odor and will be back in business.

07-Sep-15
Had to cut the strap, so got a 500lb ratchet strap which I prefer anyway.

07-Sep-15
Excellent! Very similar to how I fixed two. One stand was 26 inches the other 30! Good post! C

PS: I did use 800 pound chain.

08-Sep-15
What's the basis for choosing a zinc or galvanized bolt over say a stainless and did you consider the grade of bolt?

Whenever I buy a new stand I usually get 3-5 years out of it before I feel compelled to redo the bolts.

08-Sep-15
Jack......as a structural engineer, make sure you are using Grade 8 bolts, some of the cheaper ones you can get at stores are JUNK! You don't want them on the stand!!

08-Sep-15
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to measure cables on the last rip to the farm, so I am not sure what I need yet, but I have a half dozen or so to repair before use. Also wasted half a day planting oats, as rain never materialized.

08-Sep-15
You can coat the chain with Plasti-Dip to quiet it down too...

08-Sep-15
"Jack......as a structural engineer, make sure you are using Grade 8 bolts, some of the cheaper ones you can get at stores are JUNK! You don't want them on the stand!!"

I don't think the bolt is the "weak link" in that setup. I'd get a bigger chain myself.

08-Sep-15
I've got a couple Gorilla stands and really like them.I should have replaced the cables much sooner than I did but was lucky-no accidents.I had started to believe that those cables must surely get condensation and probably rain water under the plastic coating.After removing the cables,I stripped the plastic coating and they were all badly corroded.When I felt the cable,my hand was visibly wet.One of those stands had been indoors for weeks.I will never use another stand with plastic coated cables.I feel very lucky to be alive.

The Gorilla stands had metric 8.8 bolts which is the equivalent of grade 5.The bolts I removed looked in good shape with very little corrosion but I replaced them with yellow zinc plated grade 8 bolts.

Jack' setup may have 8.8 bolts-I can't tell but the 340# chain doesn't fill me with confidence.That's about the minimum strength recommended for coyote trapping and keep in mind,the original cables,before corrosion,were 1700#,1/8" cable.I would feel a lot better with a proof coil chain rated at 800#,made by a quality American company,$.60 a foot.Anyway,good luck guys and stay safe.

08-Sep-15
WapitiBob......I didn't look at the chain the first time I read the post......it is pretty small, that would be something to reconsider as well if it were me.

08-Sep-15
"Jack......as a structural engineer, make sure you are using Grade 8 bolts, some of the cheaper ones you can get at stores are JUNK! You don't want them on the stand!!"

"I don't think the bolt is the "weak link" in that setup. I'd get a bigger chain myself."

As someone who spent 12 years designing cranes, hoists AND working for a chain manufacturer, I would not use that chain. Looks like 2/0 straight coil chain.

The minimum I would use is 3/16 or 1/4 Grade 30 or proof coil. 3/16 has a work load limit of 750 lbs and 1/4 1,300 lbs. Typically chain is tested to twice the work load and has a ultimate of 4X working load limit. The 3/16 weigh about .36 lbs/ft and the 1/4 weighs about .70 lbs/ft.

08-Sep-15
So a chain that is stainless steel and rated at 340 lbs is not strong enough ? The next size up was like overkill like thick anchor chain.

08-Sep-15
You want to shoot for a safety factor of at least 4X in any design where human injury is a risk. Depending on foot positioning, it's possible for most of the guy's weight to be on one side. So with that criteria, each chain would need to support the static load of a man's weight times 4 or 5. So the chain should be rated for roughly 700-900 lbs static load just to be safe.

08-Sep-15
And that's a static load. Do a little dance after sticking critter and the load will go way up.

08-Sep-15
The fact that it is stainless (my guess it's zinc plated, not stainless) is irrelevant. I've seen the welds fails on that chain often. If you look there is no "mushrooming" of material. Chain is resistance welded, current is applied, the two butt ends are shoved together and the material "mushrooms" out. There is no filler wire added. Typically the next operation trims it, but that looks like very little "shove" was applied. Or very little heat, or both.

Like I said 3/16 or 1/4 Grade 30 proof coil would be what I would use. At the minimum.

08-Sep-15
So, 3/16" chain at minimum and grade 8 bolts... With some nylon washers?

08-Sep-15
Damn I am afraid to use this now! Sure seems a lot safer than what just failed.

08-Sep-15
I agree about the chain for the stand. I would get something rated a lot more, like 900 pounds or so. Better safe than sorry! Also all my ratchet straps are rated for 900#s at a minimum. 500# ratchet straps scare me a bit. Shawn

08-Sep-15
I honestly don't know how chains are rated. Just by looks I don't know that I would trust it. If that is an ultimate rating (or actual breaking strength) then please do not use the stand as repaired. If that is a "safe load" rating then it is probably still a little iffy. From what I have seen, chains are more prone to sudden, brittle failures, depending on material.

08-Sep-15
"Damn I am afraid to use this now!"

Even IF the chain you have on there is good enough, it's always going to be nagging at you now. For as cheap as chain is and as easy as it was to do, you might as well put heavier chain on it.

08-Sep-15
oh.... treestand.... never mind, though it was something else.... maybe even a video....

08-Sep-15
ok... will look for better chain, and better bolts... 10 bucks down the drain. I can also move up to 3/8" bolts instead of 1/4".... I will also put a bigger washer inside the standard washer.

08-Sep-15
I use fender washers and I soak the new shiny chain in vinegar overnight to get rid of the shine.

09-Sep-15
Jack sometimes Dicks puts on their treestands for buy one get one that is 20 bucks a stand. I find it is sometimes cheaper and less work just to retire an old stand and buy a new one. Best of luck with this one. Shawn

09-Sep-15
Jack,this what I used: https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_grade_8_steel_yellow_5_16-18.aspx

The old bolts were 8mm.The closest US are 5/16".The grade 8 is one grade above the original and the yellow zinc is very weather resistant.

I think a quality,proof coil chain rated at 800# would work and galvanized or zinc would work just fine,just as strong and quite a bit less than stainless.800# is 3/16" diameter.1/4" is rated about 1450# but costs more and weighs about 3/4 lb per foot.

09-Sep-15
Thanks again guys. I am more concerned now Bout the one I retooled 9 years ago that's still in use. May take it down this weekend and retool that one too

09-Sep-15
Don't forget the point of the repair. Those old Gorillas need attention before using. Be safe! C

11-Sep-15
Thank you all for the concern - I upgraded chain to 30 Proof galvanized, rated at 750 lbs... I upgraded bolts to 5/16" galvanized, and added extra and larger washers... I will sleep better now, once it's hung...

11-Sep-15

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Pulled my only Gorilla today and will be replacing cables with chains. Never even stepped foot on it, just yanked it down. Glad you said something Charlie. Thanks.

This was the cable on the one I pulled. Bottom...

11-Sep-15

Top...

12-Sep-15
I have been using the long link 500 lbs. chain for years. That is the first thing I would do. Is change the cables. I also use stainless nuts, washers and bolts. I then wash them I'm lacquer thinner and dip them in rubber dip.

13-Sep-15
I have a Gorilla that has cables that looked exactly like those just above. I chose not to hang it last year until I replace. The info on this thread is very helpful.

15-Sep-15
A nice fix, but that chain is for tethering your dog, not load bearing. Proof coil chain and grade 8 bolts. Then you've really fixed it.

16-Sep-15
I wouldn't worry too much about grade 8.... 5/16 bolts are going to tear out the box tubing on the platform before the bolts shear off. Just make sure you have good solid well fitting washers over the chain link so no chance of the washer pulling off over the head of the bolt.

Use self locking nuts as well, they don't rely on tension to stay tight like a lock washer needs. You just want them snug, not real tight, definitely not so tight they start to deform the box tubing.

16-Sep-15
Supposing I got some of this 3/16 proof coil chain, what would you use to cut it to desired length?

16-Sep-15
To cut it the fastest easiest use a Disk grinder or die grinder.What ever they call it works great.

16-Sep-15
About a 3' long bolt cutter. Sounds big, but it's all about leverage.

22-Sep-15
Take an measure you cable from bolt to bolt. Mine are about 18". Go to Home Depot or Lowe's an have them cut to that measurement. Then you are ready to go.

22-Sep-15
Exactly - why waste your time cutting heavy chain when the do it for free. Take the measurement.

10-Aug-17
I got 3/16 proof coil, 750 lb chain from Home Depot.

Is this the correct chain to get to replace the cable on a Gorilla stand?

10-Aug-17
A lot of the newer climber stands are also cable with a plastic coating so dont forget to look those over as well. My climber is heavier than most but its all metal including the back piece to bind/bite into the tree. Im not fond of the cables nor am I fond of straps ratchet or otherwise on my fixed stands either. I replace the straps with a heavy chain bolted on and a truckers binder. Chain is long enough to wrap around the stand and tree at least once the the remainder of chain gets warped around the binder handle and locked back to itself so it cant get stolen or worse yet pop loose.

10-Aug-17
I agree with Bob. That chain is a little light for my taste. JS

10-Aug-17
This is the minimum chain I personally would use. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-5-16-in-x-1-ft-Zinc-Plated-Proof-Coil-Chain-54906/202079581 It's 5/16" chain with a 1900lb work load. Just my opinion but no way would I trust my life to chain or cable rated for less than 4x what I weighed.

10-Aug-17
Wow haven't seen this post in a while. As I Previously mentioned - I scrapped that chain in favor of much heavier galvanized. I actually must hung it last weekend.

10-Aug-17
I've had cables snap on one of my gorillas also. Have not switched to chain yet its been sitting in storage for a year or two. Thanks for the reminder Jack gonna get on it this weekend!!

10-Aug-17
750/4=187.5 lbs Myself, clothing and gear that I have in the stand weigh less then that, but not by much.

10-Aug-17
Guys, What is the "expiration age" if typical tree stand cables. I have been using the same API for 20 years ;-). It still looks pretty good to be honest. It has only been 24x7 in the elements the last 5 years. I guess it is time do do the same thing!

10-Aug-17
Jeff,I wouldn't trust them a minute longer.If those cables are plastic coated,they are corroded and dangerous.AND,you can't see how bad it is,because of the coating.Water runs down in there and is trapped and they can't dry out.I think they recommend changing cables every two years?

10-Aug-17
thanks...I might just chunk it...it is in my head now. I have considered changing the bolts, have changed the step multiple times but never did I consider the cables....duh

I love the little sucker, so many dead critters from that dude. I love the 19" seat too. I hate 21" they are making these days.

• Sitka Gear