Blacktail Bob 12-Sep-15
mixed bag 13-Sep-15
Blacktail Bob 13-Sep-15
Stekewood 13-Sep-15
Bou'bound 13-Sep-15
Blacktail Bob 13-Sep-15
Blacktail Bob 13-Sep-15
12-Sep-15
Thought I'd post some stats on when I've killed most of the Sitka's I've taken.

Of the 56 record book bucks I've taken, two weeks dominate my successful times hunting. The week from Nov 2 to Nov 9 I've taken 27 or just under half of my total bucks. The average score during that week on Kodiak Island has been 86.5 inches.

During the first week of August on POW Island, I've taken 10 bucks with an average score of 97.98 inches.

The balance of the bucks were taken either during the month of October or a few after the 9th of November. By far the most productive time to hunt is the week from Nov 2 through the 9th. The first week of August in, my opinion, is the second best time. But my success then may simply be because that's when I hunt in the summer. But I have hunted other times on POW Island, I've just never killed anything other than the first week of August.

Hope this info helps some decide when to plan their hunt.

13-Sep-15
But NR can't hunt on POW the first week of august can thry???

13-Sep-15
Non residents of the Island can't hunt POW the first week of August. That includes me. I go to a surrounding Island. Should have said that rather than using the generic POW Island. I do think probably the whole month of August would be about the same in the alpine.

13-Sep-15
What is it about the first week of November that makes it so productive? I assume it's rut related, but is it that the bucks are more active and therefore easier to spot? Do you hunt them differently during that period than you would in October. Speaking of Kodiak specifically.

13-Sep-15
can you provide some similar stats on all your record book bears

13-Sep-15
October is pretty much all spot and stalk on Kodiak.

Although bucks will respond somewhat positively to being decoyed using a decoy hat the last week of the month, decoying is much more spotty. November 3rd the rut kicks in big time. Bucks are far more aggressive regarding everything. They become far more obvious in their environment due to activity associated with the rut.

I don't think my harvest of black bears is near as definitive regarding timing. For the most part, I kill them when they come to baits. In the early years of hunting POW I only did spot and stalk on the beach for the first ten days of May. When bear numbers dropped, I switched to baiting and began staying at the cabin longer through the end of May into June. Now I stay for 6 weeks.

In general, I think you shoot a big bear when you see him. The last week of May boars will start leaving a bait they had been hitting for either seeking out fawns or sows. Not sure which it actually is, both tend to happen about the same time. But boars do start to leave some baits the last week of May. On the other side of the coin, if you have a bait with a bunch of sows hitting it, you are apt to see a new big boar at that bait.

In recent years, I've switched to trying to getting any big boars killed before they leave.

13-Sep-15

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I broke down bears into the six weeks of May through mid June. I've entered 20 black bears into P&Y from POW Island.

The first week of May, 1 bear (I thought it would have been more) average size 20.06 inches. Second week of May, 4 bears average size 20.03 inches. Third week of May, none? Fourth week of May, 5 bears average size 19.54 inches. First week of June, 7 bears average size 19.24 inches. Second week of June, 3 bears average size 19.44 inches.

Looks like I've killed most of the bears when I said it was hardest to kill them at a bait. I think a lot of those bears were taken at my Lava Bay bait when they came in after sows.

• Sitka Gear