Sage Buffalo 29-Sep-15
MBMule 29-Sep-15
MBMule 29-Sep-15
MBMule 29-Sep-15
jims 11-Oct-15
loopmtz 11-Oct-15
MBMule 13-Oct-15
28-Sep-15
I hunted antelope in SE Alberta a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to connect. However, my tag is still valid for the rifle season which runs October 19-24. I have no desire to shoot one with a rifle, but I also have no desire to be running around trying to stalk them while they're being shot at and run all over the country. If there's no snow on the ground, I plan on going back to hunt over water. I realize that they won't need to water as often as they would in hotter weather, but without snow, they'll still have to water, no? Has anyone hunted a similar situation to this? Any tips or advice?

28-Sep-15
Your success may depend on how much water is available and temps/moisture. Obviously the warmer and drier the better. If it rains and there are puddles...it can be tough. If you are at the only water source for 5 miles and it's warm and dry you will likely have a great time!

28-Sep-15
Let us know how it goes; I'm very interested to hear about an Alberta antelope hunt.

The long term forecast (for what thats worth) I read a couple days ago, was calling for warmer & dryer than average in that part of the world, thanks to el nino.

Maybe it will help you out.

28-Sep-15
They've been extremely dry this entire summer. They're in the middle of one of the worst droughts on record, by all accounts. But, with my luck when it comes to antelope, they'll get 2' of snow the day I get there and it'll all melt with an overnight chinook.

The number and quality of bucks that I saw on my hunt there was incredible. I had 2 bucks that would be 80" or better within 50 yards at full draw, but they weren't obliging enough to stay still long enough for a shot.

I don't expect it to be very warm that time of year, not even during midday, but the air will likely be dry, and if the ground is too, would they not still have to water every day?

28-Sep-15
I would imagine.

I hope you get one. I love Alberta; it's an amazing place.

29-Sep-15
I have hunted them in November in Colorado when our season use to run into November and had them using waterholes daily even with Ice on most of it.

29-Sep-15
They will still need to water and as long as you don't get rain or snow you should have chances.

29-Sep-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
I'm actually hoping for cold enough weather for there to be ice on the water, but it doesn't look like it'll be that cold. It would certainly narrow down where to set up on larger waterholes.

The long term forecast only goes to October 12, but it's showing highs in the 60's and lows in the 30's and 40's.

Here's some of the better antelope that I got photos of. I'd like to catch up with any of them at a waterhole.

29-Sep-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

29-Sep-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

11-Oct-15
Looks like super nice prongs and mass which add up in pronghorn scores! I hope things work out for you because it sounds like you are putting in the time! I imagine if it continues to be dry they will continue to water at your waterholes!

11-Oct-15
Good luck!

13-Oct-15
Unfortunately, I won't get the chance to go back out this year. Too many other extra responsibilities this year. After 6 antelope hunts without a buck, this primo tag will taste extra bad, but I'll be back eventually! Lucky number 7...

• Sitka Gear