Michael Schwister 30-Sep-15
nutritionist 04-Oct-15
bfisherman11 05-Oct-15
lewis 05-Oct-15
Dampland 07-Oct-15
exsanguinator 07-Oct-15
bfisherman11 08-Oct-15
29-Sep-15
I have a plot that was in a mix of Hunter & Winfred Forage Brassicas, Sugar Beets, Purple Top Turnip, Barkant Forage Turnip, Big Dog Forage Radish, Dwarf Essex Rape, Ethiopian Cabbage for two years. Deer absolutely loved this mix and I was very happy with it.

This past spring I planted a clover plot mixed with Ladino Clovers, White Clovers, Alsike Clover, White Dutch Clover. I also tossed in some Small Burnet. The deer like this plot but I had a bad weed problem and had to mow a couple times.... It looks like I will have some bare spots due to the weeds. The most aggressive of the weeds was Smart weed. That was a real problem that I have not fully eradicated.

I thought next spring I would frost seed or broadcast something in with the clover I have.

Any suggestions?

Bill

29-Sep-15
Oh a couple things that might help. The plot is only about 1 acre and in the woods. Also this is southwest - WI.

Decent sun, well drained health AG country soil. I do soil testing and fertilize as recommended.

So far PH was good for clover per Whitetail Research analysis.

Bill

29-Sep-15
once clover reseeds it self you can gly the crap out of it, this will kill most weeds, and only some clovers

30-Sep-15
Pretty sure all clovers are killed by glyphosates, unless they're GMO's.

30-Sep-15
Spring Planting of clover is going to most likely have you dealing with weeds. I would suggest planting buckwheat in the spring as it grows quick and will shade out weeds. My suggestion would be to start any clover plot in the fall with a Winter Rye cover crop. The fall planting allows the clover to establish and winter rye not only provides good cover for the clover but also a good fall and winter attractant and most importantly for weeds the winter rye will REALLY cut down on you next spring summer and fall weed problem. I have Smart Weed issues as well and where I plant rye the smart weed is MUCH less of a problem. I am in PA.

30-Sep-15
Curious - What wrong with JUST clover?

30-Sep-15
Pat, I remember reading about one of your PA clover plots and weeds in the past. If I recall you started over on a clover plot before. I was hoping not to do that but definitely had your experience in mind as I posted....

I wonder if there is a seed I could broadcast in the bare spots next spring that would fill in before the weeds do. Maybe a radish being a smaller seed.

I emailed maxi-Rack and they said if my weeds are grasses, I can spray them out with a grass herbicide like Arrest, Arrow or Dakota If they are broadleaves, mowing is the best option. I assume the Smartweed is of the broadleaf variety and won't be killed by those treatments. That is why I mowed. They are at bay right now but like all weeds never ending battle... They will be back. Ha

I am still holding out hope I can save this plot. The weeds were in one corner and quickly spread to half. I am trying to decide what to do next. I really want to try peas so maybe I could just kill and till the bad parts. Fun to play. So far the deer like all I plant.

Keep the ideas coming. It really is helpful.

Bill

30-Sep-15
Because of its fast growth and allelopathic effect, winter rye is very competitive against weeds.

You can research allelopathic effect. I have seen it work against the weed you are having issue with.

30-Sep-15
exsanguinator (ha, like that handle) I have been reading a lot of good things about rye.

Pat, that does look good. I might spray round up on the weedy area next spring to kill the bad stuff so it does not spread. Till it in the summer and try the grain/clover mix.

I really need to keep the weeds out of the other half. That half looks good. Nice and thick but still not as good as yours but that could be the difference in a first year clover plot and a third year as well.

All good info guys!

Bill

30-Sep-15
Raptor will kill smartweed in clover mixes, 2,4,DB MAY kill smartweed in clover if pure. Use mowing now, and wait until spring to spray when smartweed is small but temps are at least 70degrees F

04-Oct-15
You can't use 2-4d with small burnet.

I had a similar problem this spring such as this on one of my experimental plots. I left it up to family to roll it after planting and it didn't get done before a really heavy rain. The mix of trefoil, alfalfa, sainfoin and chicory came in decent but weeds were a major issue on this plot. The plot of the same mix that i got rolled before the rain showed very little weed pressure.

So, i clipped that plot twice and also used "thunder" and volunteer. It looks very nice now. This is where i really get nervous when it comes to chemical recommendations, but i'll throw some thoughts out there.

With mixes with clovers and legumes that have broadleaf weed issues, I have sold and used a lot of buctril/brox but it's all about timing when the legumes go dormant and the weeds are still present. You also can apply in the very early growth stages but i advise people to discuss this with your chemical suppliers in your area.

This is also about identifing what your weeds are. Are they annual or perennial? Clipping before weeds seed out is wonderful. If you don't let these weeds produce seed, then long term you will get them under control.

If your planting legumes and wanting to maintain quality forages, you really should be clipping them anyways. Think like a farmer. For alfalfa's your looking at a 3-4 clip system. For clovers 2-3 clippings. Every day as time goes by your alfalfas will lose a point or two of relative feed value. Clovers don't lose quality quite as fast but if you want intake and the quality to grow huge deer, you need to think forage quality and maximum production.

So, small burnet is a wonderful thing but i don't put it in mixes because it stays green late into the season and this makes weed control a little challenging.

05-Oct-15
John, as usual wise advise.

My place is near Soldiers Grove, WI. By chance are you close by?

Bill

05-Oct-15
2 pints of basagram to the acre works well on smartweed best when its young also whacks nutsedge not sure of the burnett.Lewis

07-Oct-15

Dampland's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Dampland's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Not to be "that" guy, but remember folks, the deer could care less if you don't have a perfectly manicured food plot. Or if there are some weeds in it. (in fact, they might even like to eat some of the weeds)

I used to freak out if my clover/chicory plots weren't 100% beautiful. Now, as long as the majority of the plot is growing what I want, I'm good.

07-Oct-15
I agree with dampland...I am not opposed to herbicides but I am cheap and would rather not use them. That is why I like the Rye in the fall, Buckwheat in the Spring and if some weeds grow, oh well. I have seen deer munching on rye and oats then walk to the plot edge and munch on natural browse and then go back to the oats and rye.

08-Oct-15
Pat, Good point. i think I am going to kill off that part of my plot and upon seeing your results with John's Greens and grains I might have to plant that. It has a lot of things in it I have wanted to try.

Bill

• Sitka Gear