Bowboy 03-Oct-15
DonVathome 03-Oct-15
huntingbob 04-Oct-15
LINK 09-Oct-15
Coues HNTR 10-Oct-15
Steve 14-Oct-15
Steve 14-Oct-15
29-Sep-15
I found out today that I got a New Mexico Ibex tag for the Florida Mountains, archery only season. The guy who had the original tag broke his leg and I was next on the list. The hunt starts in 2 days (Oct 1st) so I'm leaving Montana tomorrow and I have no time to prepare, scout or plan. Can anyone offer any help or advice?

Thanks in advance, Stephen LePage [email protected]

29-Sep-15
The only thing I can offer is my best wishes Steve! Stay safe!

29-Sep-15
Little Florida's to the north of the big mountain and South Peak or Mountain or whatever it's called are some of your best options going down cold.

Watch out for snakes - you are in rattlesnake country, and I mean the big ones that'll measure 7 feet or so.

Good luck!

29-Sep-15
I would love to have that tag.

Unfortunately I don't have any good info for you. I know it is a tough hunt in tough country.

Good luck and be safe!!! I hope you share details of your hunt regardless of the outcome.

29-Sep-15
WOW! You found out with 2 days to spare that you drew a $$$$$ tag?!!! Yikes! I definitely wish you the best and hope someone has some information to share with you to get you headed in the right direction. Unfortunately I don't.

It's great that you are able to make the hunt with such short notice. I hope you can put the tag to good use... I think those Ibex are beautiful animals.

Good luck!

CD

29-Sep-15
Good luck and be sure to take your lucky charms along.

29-Sep-15
Hell bent on that hunt. Be safe and good luck!

29-Sep-15
I've hunted it twice (January) and might have info that could help. PM sent. Lance

29-Sep-15
I've hunted it twice (January) and might have info that could help. PM sent. Lance

29-Sep-15
Good luck!

30-Sep-15
How cool is that!

Enjoy and travel safe

Good luck, Robb

30-Sep-15
I had the muzz tag, awesome hunt for and awesome animal. Good luck and have fun! Sent you an email, give me a call.

30-Sep-15
Thank you for the advice. I am taking off this morning. I will be checking back here during the drive and checking email occasionally.

Steve

30-Sep-15
Good luck Steve just awesome

30-Sep-15

bentstick's embedded Photo
bentstick's embedded Photo
This hunt is harder mentally than physically. For me sometimes it seemed impossible to get anywhere close to bow range at an animal that wasn't running. And after very long steep climbs the animals are gone in an instant. Stay up on the mountain and sometimes things come together.

03-Oct-15
Beautiful goat there benstick

03-Oct-15
Good luck and get in shape!

03-Oct-15
To anyone, since when does NM call next guy in line? I have never heard of that before????

04-Oct-15
Nor me? But I don't apply in NM anymore but may next year!

09-Oct-15
Anyone heard anything about this hunt?

10-Oct-15
Was wondering the same thing as I was reading the post. As far as I know we don't do that here. If you draw the tag and cant go then that is on you. Even tag transfers are very difficult to get done and it is only in extreme circumstances that they will even allow that to happen. I am going to enquire with my G&F buddies.

14-Oct-15
I am back from the Floridas. I was unsuccessful, but I had a great time. I had a few close calls, but close is relative with those animals and that terrain. It was a humbling experience. Thanks to everyone that offered advice! Coues HNTR, Did you find anything out? I would be happy to find out that I was the victim of a Nigerian scam and would call my credit card company to reverse the charges.

Thanks, Steve

14-Oct-15
Bentstick,

I forgot to add that I am impressed. Getting it done with a bow in NM is a big accomplishment. My hat is off to you sir.

Steve

• Sitka Gear