coelker 06-Oct-15
coelker 06-Oct-15
coelker 06-Oct-15
coelker 06-Oct-15
wildwilderness 08-Oct-15
coelker 08-Oct-15
JLS 08-Oct-15
02-Oct-15
Well it is now 3:35 am. Iam in the back seat ready to sleep a bit! I left my house at 5:30 and drove the nonstop 10.5 hours after a full day of work! I am keeping it simple and solo sleeping in the cab of my truck eating on my tail gate and hoping for a buck!

It is pouring right now and tem for some sleep! I will be sure to post pics an up dates over the next few days! 20 hours driving time both ways for about 20 hours of hunting time... Not much sleep time at all!

02-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Well up and moving after around 4 hours sleep. Good breakfast bacon eggs heading down the hatch. Weather still raining but it is nice out.

Not a bad bed. Back seat of a mega can is pretty comfy, even for a big guy like myself.

02-Oct-15
Good luck!

02-Oct-15
Have a great trip!

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So I decided to back up bit! Earlier this spring I bought a Montana deer tag for myself and my father as gift. My plan was to hunt the Missouri Breaks, but my step mother ended up buying my dad an elk tag so we had to find an area with both deer and elk hunting opportunities! My search had looking at spots on the candian boarder and near Yellowstone and every where in between. With some help I settled on South Western Montana and started to narrow my search on Google earth!

Agpfter 5 extremely hard hunting weekends for archery elk in Colorado, I was ready for a break! This past archery season I had over 120 miles confirmed on the boot leather (no wonder most of my boots only last 2 seasons).

Last Wednesday morning my wife informed about changes to our weekend plans! As a result of said changes, I was free to do as I please! So on Wednesday mid day I found a number for a guy online who lived in the general area! I figured what the heck, I will send him a text as most of my information was OK but not great.

About 40 minutes after I sent the text I got a phone call back and a message that stated he would help me in anyway he can and to call him when I get the chance!

I had no opportunity to call on Wednesday. And since I only work 4 days a week I packed up my truck Wednesday night, and after work on Thursday, I struck out on my way with a full tank of diesel and my light gear, and 650 miles of road!

My first stop was in Grand Junction, luckily they had a gps map chip for MT.

The trip was uneventful, but stupid long and lots of rain! Always good sunsets!

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As I drove across the Utah desert, I contacted the internet gentleman and discussed plans. The plan was simple, I would meet him mid day on Friday after spending the morning hunting.

As mentioned I arrived at my location at 3:45 in the am. I slept for about 3 hours then got up and had some breakfast and stuck out into lands unknown.

It had rained most of the night and the morning was damp and dark... I did find wildlife almost immediately.

Again it was dark all weekend... Hard on Pics.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As I made way across the country I was impressed with how big it was. Huge in fact. The early morning drive netted a single small buck, a few elk (40 or so) and a couple moose sightings.

I did however see lots of pretty country.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
After few small hikes I made my way into town to meet up with my new hunting friend. I arrived at his house and it was beautiful place. He invited me in and poured a beverage. We discussed my plans and hopes for the hunt. He pulled out the maps and starting showing me place to look etc.

He then took me out for a tour of the area and more importantly a chance to see all the town animals. Since the wolves moved in there have been tons of animals in the low country on private lands.

In our little 2 hour tour we saw over 800 elk, probably as many white tails and around 100 mule deer. He told me about the area history, places to eat, fish, etc.

We then spent the afternoon looking at campsites he knew would be good options. As evening approached he called his wife and reserved us a table at the local steak house... His wife was equally as cool. Insisting to pay for my dinner and then insisting that I sleep in a warm bed that night.

It was a very welcome request as my 3 hours of sleep after a 10 hour day and a 10 hour drive was not going to cut it...

I did find a buck very similar in build to this buck. but it ended up being a 3x3 and not what I was willing to shoot.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The next morning I was up early topped off the fuel tank on the truck and headed out. It was not long until I found some critters. Once again they were elk and a long way off. Still from the truck I was able to see the bull. If I was able to find the same set up this November with my father we would have no problem getting on elk.

The elk in this pic were near the trees, About 12 cows and a single bull.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
It was a great morning. Incredible views in all directions and the best part was absolute solitude. Despite it being archery season I saw a total of 3 other vehicles. I drove over 150 miles of back roads on Saturday.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As I pressed on I saw several more animals... No stinking deer, but other predators were out and finding some grub...

I watched this guy take the fish out of the creek then stop road side for breakfast. Not a bad fish, I was impressed with how every single stream had piles of fish!

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Just up the creek I found a great barn and some more great country!

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As if I had not seen enough variety. I found this guy walking and fishing the creek as well. It was really wierd to see such a bird in a small stream in Montana...

Never know what you might find.

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
As the day went on I saw a few more animals, mostly elk but the deer were proving impossible to find.

After hours behind the scope and miles in the truck I found a few. Actually I found an area with many deer. In this area I ended up seeing around 40 does and 10 bucks. None of the bucks were great, but I did stalk one I wanted a closer look at and decided to let it pass...

06-Oct-15

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
That night I drove about 80 miles to another area that looked and sounded promising. I drove in the dark to a random spot on the BLM and made my bed in the back seat.

Early the next morning I got up and started my search for deer.

The picture is crappy but this animal would have made my day had I got a shot off. I attempted to call it in, it came about 30 yards to wards me before bugging out. It I had my predator gun I would have killed this wolf.

Yep only took me a couple days but I found a wolf.

The pic is really crappy as it was still really early and heavy cloud cover...

06-Oct-15
I spent my last driving and cover country. While I did not hunt hard I did see tons of wildlife, covered a ton of new country and am looking forward to a great week this November.

After I finish my November hunt I will write up everything learned.

I am blessed!

08-Oct-15
Nice Pictures! A great way to remember the experience.

What are Montana's rules on shooting wolves in MT?

08-Oct-15
Wild,

You have to have a $50 NR tag then they can be shot until the Quotas for the area are met.

If the tag is bought after Sept. 1 you have to wait 24 hours before hunting. Come Rifle season that would have been a dead wolf!

08-Oct-15
Nice pictures. Mule deer hunting in some parts of western MT can be tough.

• Sitka Gear