JohnB 05-Oct-15
Kdog 07-Oct-15
coelker 07-Oct-15
deerman406 07-Oct-15
Thornton 07-Oct-15
mizzoukispot 13-Oct-15
BoggsBowhunts 13-Oct-15
04-Oct-15
Last season, my son who was 14 at the time, hit a doe too far forward making a poor shot on a quartering away shot. A group of us tracked the deer that night and found ½ of his broken arrow. We had good blood for a long time and then it dissipated into nothing. The same group then tried again for 2 other days and called it quits.

I chose to punch my son’s tag meaning he could no longer shoot an antlerless deer. I did this because I know many outfitters do the same when people injure an animal and I believe it is even law in some states (I am thinking Alaska specifically). I believe Ted Nugent was busted for injuring a bear and then shooting a 2nd one. I felt confident that deer my son hit would die from infection. I feel the resource is not unlimited and there should be ramifications to one actions/outcomes. I have done the same with my own tag too.

My son was distraught and wanted to quit hunting over injuring an animal. He felt terrible because he knew he injured the deer and it would suffer, whether it died or not. I talked him off the ledge and he went back out with his buck tag but he chose not to shoot.

I only have two rules outside the law A) respect the animal and B) practice so you can be the best you can be.

So, what is the opinion of others? Was I too tough by cutting the tag and should I have just let him go until he got it right, or was it a good lesson in hunting ethics?

04-Oct-15
Yup, you were too tough on the kid. If you have hunted long enough it happens. We all make a shot that results in a bad hit. You should of taught him as long as you do everything in your power to recover the animal than it is fine. Let him continue to hunt and learn, sorry but we are trying to recruit kids into this great sport and don't need to punish them for something that may be beyond their control. Shawn

04-Oct-15
I won't say you were too rough but I wouldn't have punched his tag. There is nothing wrong with passing on your beliefs to your son, I just think it is a difficult lesson for a kid to stomach. I personally haven't punched tags in the past when I wounded an animal as it is not required by law here. I do however understand that many do feel differently. Different strokes.

Hopefully your son doesn't lose interest and can punch his tag and have animal to show for it soon.

04-Oct-15
No. That was not tough at all he could still hunt. If you ended his season I may feel differently doing that to a kid.

04-Oct-15
Depends, was it a shot he should'nt have taken?

04-Oct-15
He was in the UP of MI and had a combo tag allowing him 2 bucks. It did not end his season.

Mind you, I had all I could do to talk him into getting back out there because of how distraught he was over injuring the deer.

04-Oct-15
I think you might have overdid it a bit, but it was a good lesson to teach. him still having a buck tag makes me feel a lot better about this, it was his choice again at that point.

04-Oct-15
I agree with Shawn --- but your actions would have probably been alright on the 2nd time, for sure if it happened a 3rd time (in the same season). I would also add that the longterm outcome will probably depend on the uniqueness of the individual. My son at age 14 would have probably told me - OK then, I will find someone else to spend my time with... Your approach would have had a better chance of working on a personality like my sons' when he was more mature and only then if you let him be part of the decision-making process. So there is probably no absolute right or wrong approach to the situation.

04-Oct-15
"But he chose not to shoot"! Yep you were too hard on him! The tracking effort was his penence. Excellent lesson learned by the tracking effort. Perhaps you should be more like your handle:) Good luck this season hope he'll shoot again! C

04-Oct-15
I wouldn't have done that but, he isn't my kid either. I wont say you were wrong, just that I would have allowed him to keep antler less hunting.

I truly believe that this ethics thing has gotten out of control. A lot of what we are currently seeing is a programmed response in my opinion. I don't like losing an animal nor, do I take the responsibility lightly of killing one. I just don't think we should be in tears over something we are trying to kill, when things go wrong.

This is hunting. And, nothing we hunt has the desire to end up on our plate. So, things happen sometimes that aren't favorable for us hunters. When they do, we have a choice to be so mentally upset and hurt that we quit or, we power on and learn from it.

I hate losing something and, do every thing in my power to keep from doing so. It starts with mental preparation and ends with me exerting every possible option I have to insure that doesn't happen. Yet, sometimes it happens. It is hunting. Not farming. And, as long as that is the way it goes, we will always have to face the realities that sometimes we loose our prize. There is no need to make that worse by punishing ourselves with some constraint that someone feels is deserving of it happening.

He is your boy. Teach him to be a hunter and, what it means to be a hunter. Part of that is him experiencing what all hunters will experience from time to time. The reality that things don't always go right. And, sometimes we lose the critter we shoot.

If I were to enforce a discipline on him, it would be to practice and become proficient before he was allowed to hunt. Not beat him with the reality he wounded an animal by making him punch his tag. He will do that himself.

04-Oct-15
Agree with Bou. Two positives came out of an unfortunate situation... a valuable lesson was instilled, and your son was still able to hunt on another tag. You done good IMO.

04-Oct-15
This was not punishment although some are seeing it that way. My son would not have continued hunting again last season without me reassuring him this happens and will happen again.

We were in an area which is only 1 of 3 DMUs in the UP with antlerless tags, so the does are not unlimited. Mind you too that we were at a friend's camp so my son was embarrassed too. I mitigated the risk of this happening to another doe given the doe situation too. My son had no issue with this at all. I know he would not have shot at another doe anyway.

As for the shot, he drew on the deer 3 times and held and put down and yes, got away with that. He took the shot on the 4th draw and misjudged the quartering away angle. I told him that next time he draws and lets down more than once, to pass on the shot because he is still young and not that strong. He concurred with that. We have discussed angles often since too.

The kid loves hunting and shoots a lot. I'm not worried about losing him. As noted, he still had 2 buck tags and continued hunting.

04-Oct-15
Only you as a parent can decide that for yourself, but, performing the act of "punching" his tag took the ability he had to make that decision for himself.

Being able to make those decisions for himself is what will shape him to be who he will become one day, whether or not you or anyone else agrees with his decision(s).

04-Oct-15
You did the right thing. Your shooting animals not basketballs out in the driveway. It takes responsibility.

04-Oct-15
As long as you would have punched your own tag.....when you were 14.

04-Oct-15
It sounds to me like the thought of injuring the animal and it suffering was way more traumatic than punching his tag. I don't think it would have made a difference to his emotions either way punching tag or not.

04-Oct-15
deerman406 - A couple of contributing factors;

1. His son still had a buck tag, his season wasn't ended with that decision.

2. The deer herd in WI and the UP went through a couple of tough winters and took a big hit. Most areas up North have no doe tags for regular hunters.

Happy - Like I said on the other thread, I think you made a tough call.

I think that it was the right one for the resource and circumstances. In the end, I think that it'll result in your son recognizing that he's a hunter and a steward of that resource.

Don't second guess yourself. I'd say have another conversation with your son. Even though it was hard for him, his view looking back may surprise you.

And though I'm just another guy on the internet and my opinion may be worth what I'm paid for it, I respect you both for making a tough decision. Erring on the side of caution with does for a bit will benefit the herd up North.

04-Oct-15
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all opinions and while I explain things, I am not defending my actions, not intentionally anyway :).

"It sounds to me like the thought of injuring the animal and it suffering was way more traumatic than punching his tag. I don't think it would have made a difference to his emotions either way punching tag or not. "

That is a very true statement and one that affects me the same way. We both have the utmost respect for all animals and hate to see any suffer unnecessarily.

WVM, I loved your reply. I wish I could have that same attitude towards the animals.

04-Oct-15
"As long as you would have punched your own tag.....when you were 14."

KJC...are you serious? You would expect a 14 year to make a parenting choice? If 14 year olds had that kind of discipline and judgement, we wouldn't need parents.

04-Oct-15
I'm not so sure the animal would necessarily die of infection either. They are tough animals and, even if part of the arrow remained inside, it may have healed by encapsulating the foreign body in scar tissue. I killed a buck 5 years ago two weeks after I had wounded it in the side of his chest (terrible shot and angle) - the original wound was almost completely healed. Another true story is, many years ago, I dropped a buck off at a butcher I was friendly with. He called me the next day to tell me he found a broadhead scarred down just below his spine. Anecdotes for sure, but they can be pretty resilient.

04-Oct-15
Geez Ward, I think you were a little hard on the beaver last night...

Lessons can be taught in a variety of levels. Maybe a discussion with him and let him decide the best thing to do. After all, it was his tag.

04-Oct-15
Happygolucky, good for you for being a parent and making a tough parenting decision. It sounds to me like you didn't any harm. He was distraught because of his actions and the lost deer. And i think you did a good job getting him back in the saddle, even if he choose not to shoot (this time). He'll come around. It's a very difficult situation to deal with even as a mature adult. We can't insulate our kids from experiences like this and we need to be there to help them through, as hard as it may be to watch them struggle. And it sounds like that's exactly what you are doing. Good job Dad.

04-Oct-15
The only person that knows the answer is you. He is your kid. I think knowing there are consequences for your actions is one of the most important things to teach a kid, and not done enough in my opinion. You also want kids to have success and want to hunt and not put so much emphasis on the life of the animal and suffering, animals suffer every day without hunters. Imo this humanizes and evokes emotion. Parenting is a fine line to walk and I'm sure you are doing your best and that's all that matters. Kudos for teaching your son a lesson that many others won't.

04-Oct-15
Not too tough at all, taking a life is a very serious thing whether it's "just a deer" or not. You're not trying to punish him , rather learn the importance of making one quick clean kill with your shot. If you screamed at him or took his weapon away I'd feel very differently but to hold him accountable was very responsible on your part. It's no different if you go on a trip and wound one. You're not punished but that's your deer. Good call imo

04-Oct-15
His age has nothing to do with it. If he's old enough to accept the responsibilities of hunting, then he's old enough to hunt. If he can't accept those responsibilities then he shouldn't be hunting yet.

If he was truly distraught about hitting and losing the deer, losing the tag shouldn't be an issue in his acceptance of the situation and willingness to continue hunting. And while we all hope for a good outcome for a new hunter, the reality is often different, and they should be prepared for that ahead of time.

I think a better approach in this particular situation would have been for you to lead him into the right decision. Whatever that might be. In similar situations for myself, I've done either. Depending on ALL the circumstances, I've either quit for the year or continued to hunt after truly exhausting all my search efforts. Instead of punching a particular tag, you might have encouraged him to only shoot one more deer of either sex, essentially giving up one tag.

04-Oct-15
+1- Ziek- Like slot of things, it's easier to teach good ethics early than correct poor practices later. I think you did well.

04-Oct-15
Very well said, Pat! I agree 100%.

04-Oct-15
Why are you asking on an internet forum about your parenting skills, that should be decided inside your family dynamic and not on the Bowsite.

04-Oct-15
I've seen a few of his posts over time. I may be reaching here, but my internet impressions of happy lead me to doubt that he was screaming at his kid about the shot or wallowing around in PETA-like hysteria that the deer wasn't recovered.

I suspect that the kid got lots of support, reassurance and reinforced values, not Judge Dredd. From what has been posted, happy turned around and encouraged him to get back after a buck.

I can relate to self doubt related to parenting, which is why I've posted again.

In my opinion, you gotta give it the best shot you can. And sometimes, you're still not sure if you shanked it. From what I've read, I think happy balanced "buddy" and "parent" well.

04-Oct-15
"As long as you would have punched your own tag.....when you were 14. "

This...

"His age has nothing to do with it. If he's old enough to accept the responsibilities of hunting, then he's old enough to hunt. If he can't accept those responsibilities then he shouldn't be hunting yet. If he was truly distraught about hitting and losing the deer, losing the tag shouldn't be an issue in his acceptance of the situation and willingness to continue hunting. And while we all hope for a good outcome for a new hunter, the reality is often different, and they should be prepared for that ahead of time.

I think a better approach in this particular situation would have been for you to lead him into the right decision. Whatever that might be. In similar situations for myself, I've done either. Depending on ALL the circumstances, I've either quit for the year or continued to hunt after truly exhausting all my search efforts. Instead of punching a particular tag, you might have encouraged him to only shoot one more deer of either sex, essentially giving up one tag. "

And This.

04-Oct-15
Isn't the point of this site to be able to ask advice and shares stories with people who share a common interest and values? I don't think happy is asking parenting advice rather hunting coaching advice. I also don't think the fun should be sucked out of the sport , hell I'm the most fun lovin guy you'll meet but the purpose of a tag is to give permission for the life of an animal. There's a good chance whether recovered or not , the life of the animal was taken. There's no punishment here rather than teaching his boy a very valuable lesson in responsibility .

04-Oct-15
"Why are you asking on an internet forum about your parenting skills, that should be decided inside your family dynamic and not on the Bowsite."

Really??... yes, bowsite is an internet forum but imho it's also much, much more. It's a group of (usually) like minded folks who share a passion for an activity which often times is embedded in our personal and family lives. Nothing wrong a little fellowship and advice among bowhunters even if it does involve a bit of "family dynamic". Ultimately it is a bowhunting related topic and is the perfect place to ask such question.

04-Oct-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
Thanks again everyone and I appreciate the kind words Orionsbrother.

"Why are you asking on an internet forum about your parenting skills, that should be decided inside your family dynamic and not on the Bowsite. "

Because I greatly value the opinion of other hunters, especially those better than me and who have more experience than me. I have learned from this and that was my purpose when I posted this on the WI site and here. My lesson taken away from all this is that going forward, any decision like this will be my son's.

For the record, my son had a successful kill in his first year when he was 13. He misjudged the size of the deer and shot a young doe. Once again, he was upset with himself although I praised him and tried to convince him he needed to celebrate. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't like others telling people what to shoot. He has no rules to follow when it comes to what deer to shoot. He was upset due to watching TV shows, reading websites, and reading publications seeing people's remarks about others shooting immature deer. Instead of being happy, he was worried about what others would say. That moment was very sad for me because I wanted to celebrate like there was no tomorrow due to how proud I was of his successful kill in his inaugural season. The pic is my son with his doe.

This is a new year and my son has been shooting very well. He practices a lot. His head is in the game. I have not hunted yet because I am waiting for his high school soccer season to end because I don't want to hunt without him. I own my own land now and he and I busted butt together working on it this summer. He's my fishing and hunting partner and I am PRAYING that if given an opportunity this year, that he has success. The pain he felt last year was twice fold for me feeling his pain.

Thanks again everyone for the candid opinions as that is what I was looking for.

04-Oct-15

04-Oct-15
You did good!

04-Oct-15
Pat x4.

04-Oct-15
Another thing to keep in mind is your son wants you to be successful too. Punch your tag as soon as you have a great shot and have a big celebration! Good luck! C

04-Oct-15
Bowhunting is hard, most (I know I did) of us went through alot of downs vs.ups when we started.

I learned on my own, and trust me, it was hard, and was an eye opener. I think at times we try to make thinga real cut and dry, easy, mistake free when in reality, taking the life of an animal can be anything but mistake free at times.

Good luck

04-Oct-15
Your son sounds like a good kid. You should be proud of him and the job you have done so far. My guess is your guidance as a hunter will need only be minimal from this point on. Let him learn on his own a little bit. He has the right bearing, his own judgement sounds pretty good and will probably guide him well.

04-Oct-15
When you loose an arrow, have your son help with the tracking, even if it did not go far. gets him into the hunt and participating. Our children are all different and don't come with an owner's manual. You did what you thought right. The fact that you care is enough for now.

04-Oct-15
Gee whiz if a man never wounded an animal he is blessed. Wondering was around if you ever wounded one and punched your tag? To me that was a little aggressive I feel. If that animal didn't die within 150 300 then the animal more than likely lives. You should have known that by what was on the arrow when you started pursuing with no success? Infection? Have you ever see some of these animals that have have lived from arrow hits they are like tanks and can take non lethal hits. Seems the tracking might have been a a little to much pushing the animal possibly? Actually who are any of us with any opinions negatively we weren't there and don't have all the story? You choose the way to handle this but think you handling this like this on here wasn't the best choice.

I hope you didn't expect what was going to happen was an atta boy? Maybe reconsider before you act next time and announce it on a web site. Maybe it would have been best that this should have been handled in family. Just my thoughts.

04-Oct-15
You have to teach responsibility but I agree with others you also have to keep it enjoyable for your kids.

04-Oct-15
"Wondering was around if you ever wounded one and punched your tag?"

Yes, I did the last time it happened to me and will continue to do that for myself if/when it happens again.

"I hope you didn't expect what was going to happen was an atta boy? Maybe reconsider before you act next time and announce it on a web site."

I wasn't looking for an atta boy. I was looking for differing opinions and received many and I appreciate that. I don't have to reconsider anything either because I still feel I did the right thing and many others feel that too not that it matters. He still had tags and continued hunting. I took away the doe tag and as noted, we were in an area with limited doe tags and a reduced herd. What I have learned from this is that all these types of decisions will be his going forward.

04-Oct-15
Obviously it's not the end of the world either way (you clearly know that...). If it felt wrong this time, maybe do it a bit different next time. Live and learn.

I think if I knew my son was taking it seriously I would have let him keep his tag, if I thought he didn't care about what happened I would've done the same as you.

I agree with others talking about the enjoyment of kids being the #1 priority.

I do feel I should mention what you call your number one rule being respecting animals.

I'm a cattle veterinarian and I don't respect animals. I do respect Animals (as in the Kingdom, as in as a whole species) but I do not "respect" any individual critter. Ever. If I did I wouldn't be able to sleep at night considering what's required of me during my daily job.

I respect the deer species in that I try to be the best shot I can and only take good shots and put forth a solid recovery effort, etc.. but it would just feel awkward for me to say I respected that individual animal whose heart I just tried to slice open with a broadhead.

Not being argumentative or saying you're wrong, just some food for thought.

04-Oct-15
""But he chose not to shoot"! Yep you were too hard on him! The tracking effort was his penence. Excellent lesson learned by the tracking effort.""

Bingo Charlie. I have probably learned more about deer and their movements while tracking than any other time spent in the woods, even deer in an area that I thought I knew inside out. That's one of the reasons why I never pass up an opportunity to help someone track. It's the best textbook you could have.

Hopefully that young man learned something on that trail.

04-Oct-15
happy, what ever has been said and/or, will be said later by anyone, one thing you have got to remember is that you are a good dad, a good guy, and did what you thought was right based on the love you have for your son and, the desire he turns out the same way. From what I take, he will. You are doing a great job. As parents, we have all had these kind of talks about the way we have handled things considering our kids. This one happened to be based on hunting. Good luck and God Bless

04-Oct-15
I read the facts as I understand them. You attempted to recover the deer for 2 1/2 days. I assume your son was beside you. If so then poor parenting is certainly not an issue. Any father and son who work together like that are a great team. I may not have punched his tag but if done for the right reason it reinforces your commitment to the animal. I once lost a deer. I couldn't bring myself to shoot another. After the season I would tell this young man that you are proud of how he conducted himself. I know I am proud of any hunter who works long and hard to recover game after the shot.

04-Oct-15
Only if my son had not practiced or took a very bad shot (unethical in any way)would have I punched his tag.My sons have wounded game,I have wounded game,EVERYBODY that hunts has wounded game.

Very common to wound game for novice bowhunters and the best way to diminish the probability of a wound again is to garner more experience shooting animals......a punched tag reduces his exposure to the proper approach to shooting animals with a bow.

It's more art than athleticism....let the briars,fatigue of recovery and mental anguish be the punishment but not the tag,imo

05-Oct-15
I agree 100% with Pat!

05-Oct-15
I think taking his tag away kinda added insult to injury and will only result in more pressure on him in the future which could definitely increase the likelihood of a poor shot. There is enough excitement and pressure already when trying to execute a good shot. It may deter him from hunting as well over time.

05-Oct-15
A good learning opportunity for the youngster. Hopefully you used it to teach him to be a better bowhunter, not to punish him and beat him with a stick.

05-Oct-15
That is a tough decision to make as a parent, but having a second tag definitely makes it a little easier and in my opinion, you did the right thing. Something we've lost in our society is the concept that there are consequences for decisions we make. Too easy to just shrug it off and say "stuff happens" and move on. Handled in the right way, I believe this "tag punching" can be very construction for your son. It sounds like you handled it with the appropriate seriousness yet support for him and what he felt. I would call it Proper Ethics and Good Parenting.

05-Oct-15
I don't think I personally would have punched the tag unless required by law. I'd say the deer lived. They can handle some significant wounds. Now that's just me , how you raise your kid and teach him to hunt is 100% not my business.

05-Oct-15
Thanks again to everyone for all the opinions. That is what I was looking for. I am still curious if others ever punch their tags for wounded and lost deer.

This is a new season and my son has his confidence back. His confidence was at an all time low when this happened and he did not hunt the remainder of the weekend last year. Confidence plays a huge part in this hobby too. When it is low, negative thoughts can rule the mind. I got him back out on a following weekend. His doe tag was not rendered unusable when this happened. He chose not to hunt the rest of weekend due to feeling bad for the deer and because of his confidence. I personally appreciate the remorse he showed for the animal. That is why we pray over everyone we kill.

We are excited for the season. Now I just need high school soccer to end because I won't hunt without him, especially on our new to us land. For the record, there are limited doe tags for this DMU and I purchased him one but did not buy one for me.

05-Oct-15
I can only say what I've done. I had a similar scenario with my daughter this year. She's 16. I explained her options, and she decided not to punch her tag on her own. She also ended up not hunting the rest of the season; partially because of the deer, and partially because of competing events she chose to attend rather than hunting. Had she not had the deer incedent happen, she may have chosen to hunt rather than do the other things, I suppose. 16 is different than 14, but I did not think at this point punching the tag for her was my decision to make.

05-Oct-15
Here's the truth: It's your kid!!!

One thing I have learned as a parent is that every kid is different and there is no such thing as one size fits all.

For my kids, I wouldn't have punched the tag because they would have been sad and disappointed knowing that they made a mistake.

That's what people should feel when this happens.

If my child had a hard time understanding consequences I might have punched the tag.

I think a lot of guys over-react to wounding animals. The reality is F&G calculates wounding animals into their tag allocation and season lengths. They know we aren't perfect (nor should they).

Unless the law requires or you are on a guided hunt that requires a tag be punched. Don't do it. Obviously be conscious and check your equipment to make sure all is good.

Either way, I am not going to say whether what you did was right or wrong because you know your kid way better than we do.

05-Oct-15
I largely agree with what Pat and many of you guys are saying about the fun being sucked out of hunting by many.

But I don't think this was an example of that. The deer most likely suffered a mortal wound. I will punch my tag in that situation and would encourage my daughters to do the same. Since his hunting season was not ended it's not even a close call for me. Hunting is about much more than the kill. I think you did the right thing.

05-Oct-15
Poor parenting would be not taking him into the woods to begin with. He's your son and you are the one to make the call as to what ethics you want him to have. It's not any one's place to question that other than you. Keep encouraging him and keep instilling in him that real life isn't TV. Any deer taken with an arrow is a trophy, especially at his age. He has plenty of time when he's grown up to chase trophies. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season and enjoy your time together in the woods!

05-Oct-15
Decisions in life are simple until you start down the slippery slope of ethical compromise. Then things get difficult....in every aspect of life.

Draw Blood=Punch Tag

05-Oct-15
It's always interesting to debate morals and ethics. It brings out some interesting ideas.

I've found that way too often people believe that it was a fatal hit when it wasn't. I've found that if you don't find the animal in about 400 yards and it wasn't shot in the guts, it almost always survives. I've seen a number of deer that have heeled up unbelievably well in a very short amount of time after suffering a "fatal" hit with an arrow. I'm not saying you did the wrong thing. I'm saying a lot of people don't really know a fatal hit when they see one. The first deer I shot, 37 seasons ago got away and I was devastated to the point of giving up bowhunting. Luckily, one of the guys who helped me track the deer, killed it a few weeks later with a rifle. I had hit the deer too far forward and the arrow never entered the rib cage. It was really hard to tell that he had been hit at all. It's up to you to decide if it was a fatal hit. No one else. It's also up to you to keep it quiet and not give more ammo to the anti's

05-Oct-15
If he just flesh-wounded that deer, more than likely it survived and is fine. The deer probably didn't suffer and more than likely survived and is fine. They are incredibly resilient animals.

As long as he understands the ramifications of wounding an animal (sounds like he does), then yes, you were way too harsh with him.

05-Oct-15
Id say you were too tuff on the kid. I'm not a parent yet but if I was I would have given him the option to punch or not punch on a possibly non-mortal hit and told him your opinion. Kids have to make some decisions on their own and this would be a good one. I wounded my first deer with a bow at age 14 as well. Took a 7 yard broadside shot and aimed too low with my 10 yard pin and hit lower somehow. Ended up getting good blood and tracking the deer for over 600 yards. I found it dead 3 weeks later. To say I was disgusted with myself would be an understatement. If I were a caring dad and it sounds like you are I'd give an little apology and tell him again why you did it. I can tell you my folks were pretty hard on me and the few times they realized when they went overboard and apologized made me more grateful that they took things seriuosly.

05-Oct-15
"I am still curious if others ever punch their tags for wounded and lost deer."

I do,and have used a self imposed fine to the outfitter for a wound on a guided hunt.

05-Oct-15
In the end, it will only matter what feels right for you and by you. To say it is unethical to continue hunting and perhaps even take/kill an animal after you've wounded and lost one (law permitting of course) makes as much sense as the unethical motorist who accidentally hits a deer with their car and continues on and hits another. Is the only difference because of the intent on the first deer? Doesn't really matter to the deer population as two are now gone in either scenario.

The only true 'poor parenting' would be to not wanting to spend time with your kid at all.

05-Oct-15
Wounding loss is part of bowhunting. Of course we need to do our part with equipment, skills and decision making to try and keep it from happening, but it will always be a part. Some are fatal and some not. We can make a guess based on the hit and the trail, but anyone who has hunted a bunch knows that what we see and think about a hit isn't always accurate. I'm certain our loss rate is much lower than other predators.

The decision to keep hunting or not depends on a the context of why it happened. With common species like deer and elk. We are kidding ourselves if we think punching a tag or continuing hunting after a loss has a measurable effect on management.

The decision for me would have everything to do with what is best for my son. If a lesson needs to be taught and stopping the hunt for the season is the best way to get the right result, I might do that. If he did his best, stayed within his abilities and handled the situation right, chances are we would keep hunting.

Sounds like you have a great kid. Congratulations to him on taking the young doe. Its absolutely something to celebrate. There are more than a few adults getting started that took longer or are still trying for their first animal. A doe like that is simply a treasure for table fare as well.

My suggestion is make sure every hunting trip is enjoyable and successful. That has ZERO to do with animals seen, shot opportunities or tags filled. All that stuff will come with time and good decisions. It is not required to make a successful trip.

05-Oct-15
"If I were a caring dad and it sounds like you are I'd give an little apology and tell him again why you did it. I can tell you my folks were pretty hard on me and the few times they realized when they went overboard and apologized made me more grateful that they took things seriuosly. "

The thing is, this was not taken seriously. I hurt as he hurt. I too shed tears for him hurting. I had all I could do to get him hunting the following weekend after he did not hunt anymore the weekend it happened. There was nothing but calming words given to him by me and the others at camp. He was not taken behind the camp and switched ala Adrian Peterson as some must be thinking. There was a concern over his embarrassment with this happening on someone else's land the fact does were more scarce than any time we've been there before due to the tough winters. I erred on the safe side from a herd perspective while he was still able to hunt for bucks and then either specie back in WI.

Anyone who thinks I might have been verbal or negative with him is wrong in that regard. I would never do that with my kid and only was supportive. He's been hunting since he was 10. He shot a bear at age 10 and then deer under the mentor program. He's been around hunters his own life and has heard enough to come to many conclusions on his own. I personally love his respect for animals.

Two months ago, he told me he was not shooting well and would not hunt this year. I told him to take a step back and we analyzed things. We took his bow in for tuning and that was the ticket. He once again had his morals in check versus being an arrow flinger. Part of that was truly the ethics he learned from me and others since he was young.

05-Oct-15
My first experience with a bow hunter was a junior high school teacher/coach. He told of wounding, or as he said, "sticking" 30-50 deer per year with very few recoveries. For years he did that. I made up my mind that I would not be that guy. In 45 years of hunting I have only drawn blood on 3 large game animals I did not recover. Only one I judged to be fatal. High standards and practice yield high results. Low standards, the reverse. We each get to choose.

05-Oct-15
I say stop agonizing about it....lessons are lessons. He's hardly going to be scarred for life over this.

05-Oct-15
Yes the more this goes on the more it seems drastically "over-thought"

my comment early on was it was fine as he was not precluded from hunting so no big deal on your punishment.

then as more came out in your responses it boil it down to

the kid felt bad.

that was sufficient.

why impose penalties on top of his anguish?

if he was cavalier in his approach and heartless then your actions would have been needed and justified.

given his own personal flogging your piling on did nothing positive or incremental to the situation. heck he was not going to go out again for a doe anyway so why tell him he couldn't.

05-Oct-15
He sounds like a good kid and you sound like a good dad.

Grats on having a son to hunt with. You're a lucky man. Sounds like you're doing everything right and have everything going for you.

As far as punching a tag on a wounded animal, I've done it and I've not done it. I think it's a personal decision.

05-Oct-15
"Poor parenting would be not taking him into the woods to begin with."

EXACTLY!

That, and by spending 2+ days on the track with him you turned this into a priceless educational opportunity.

Your son probably learned more about deer doing this than if he had killed it.

As far as the tag thing, I agree with others in that he's YOUR son and you must do what you feel is best for him.

The elders that I learned the art of the hunt from were obsessive trackers and would also spend days following a deer they hit. The trails I went on with them were like being in a classroom. They also butchered all their own deer and taught me likewise, which enabled me even at a relatively young age to have a very good grasp of deer anatomy and just exactly WHERE all those things are on a deer under the skin and on the bones.

Immerse him in the hunt...ALL of it. It's all part of the whole. It's not a video game. It's REAL: life, death, and accepting the responsibilities of what goes with it, good and bad.

Keep at it, you're doing good!

05-Oct-15
Tons of respect for both of you. I lost my dad in 1979 I started bowhunting in 1983 I had no one to coach me or teach me anything, heck we didn't have cable or internet. I killed my first deer in 1984 or 1985, I used a couple of pages out of outdoor life how to field dress a deer you sir ARE LUCKY keep on doing what you are doing. Yes 4 years ago I punched a tag on a bull elk I didn't recover. Good luck this season to both of you!

07-Oct-15
You asked for opinions, so here is mine. Personally I would not have done that. His head was already in the right place. I also agree with what Pat said. That being said, it doesn't sound like what you did was that terrible in his eyes. Your son, your decision.

07-Oct-15
What???

You did just fine. I see 2 different issues here...

1. The kid fatally hit an animal. The father decided to punch the tag which right or wrong has no real impact on the issue.

2. The kids felt guilt and bad about wounding and loosing an animal. Which This guilt the kid felt internally kept him from hunting. If not then the kid would have been happy to keep looking for a buck.

The only thing the dad could have done is support his kid and let him realize that when you hunt there is a risk.

I am not sure at all how anyone can call what you did was wrong.

07-Oct-15
I 100% agree with Pat, kids need to be encouraged and like it or not stuff happens. If my daughter had done the same thing, I would of told her that stuff like this happens and nothing goes to waste in nature. It is ok to be upset over it as we all are. I also would of let her make her own decision, after all at 14 a kid is old enough to understand what is right or wrong in their own mind. What may be right for one person may not be for the other, no ones ethics are the same. Just support whatever decision they make as they are the ones who have to live with "their" choices. Shawn

07-Oct-15
I think you did right with the kid. True respect of the animal must be taught from a young age. Too many people are killing just to be killing and taking risky shots for bragging purposes. I grew up bow hunting by myself. My dad was a busy business man with a bad shoulder and he only rifle hunted. I learned some hard lessons on my own and I wish I would have had a teacher. I shot my first doe at age 15 with a Browning compound at 25-30 yards with no sights. The arrow struck her squarely in the shoulder and did not penetrate. We followed the blood for 1/2 a mile and never found her.

13-Oct-15
You are a good father. This lesson goes far beyond the field.

13-Oct-15
I'm pretty sure everyone has wounded one and ends up not finding it, if you haven't the chances are you're not hunting hard enough. As a 16 year old kid I can relate to how he is feeling after doing that in his first couple of seasons. I highly doubt that the doe died (A lot of people I know have killed deer or elk with broadheads in them) so I don't believe there was a reason to take his tag away from him. Mistakes happen, after the shot there was nothing you or him could do to get it back. He got an arrow in one, congrats to him and I would hope that you would continue to let him fling arrows instead of taking that away from him. Let him have his own experiences and learn things on his own, he will take things into consideration a lot more after he experiences them himself rather than someone preaching at him about it. Just my .02

• Sitka Gear