bigguy 09-Oct-15
Tuff life 10-Oct-15
Thornton 10-Oct-15
Charlie Rehor 10-Oct-15
Alexis Desjardins 11-Oct-15
Blacktail Bob 12-Oct-15
spike buck 12-Oct-15
05-Oct-15
Just got back from a northern Manitoba (first) moose hunt. I took both bow and gun and wound up taking one with a gun so I will not post any photo,s.

Question: Does anyone know of a CA providence were a non resident can get a 99 year land lease to hunt/fish or guide on?

Might have to become resident of Canada? It seems that our northern friends have taken steps to protect themselves from us. But we all know we let our northern black hat friends use our country freely.

Any help or thoughts on this. Thanks, John

05-Oct-15
Never heard of such a thing. Can't imagine a foreign resident getting a 99 lease on US public ground?

05-Oct-15
AFAIK you need to be a resident to even guide in Western Canada. Many outfitters from the US purchase guiding areas under a sham deal with a local as the straw purchaser. Then when the deal falls apart the Canadian courts give the area to the Canadian. I do not think the American partners actually get to hunt as residents even as partial owners

Suggest you simply move there and do it right if you are going to do it. Sounds like fun.

05-Oct-15
If you wanted to buy and outfitting business of lodge in Manitoba, the allocation would go with the purchase. Investment of $250,000.00 needed. Leases are for residents. That's the help I can offer. The rest of your statements you can keep. Personally I think both countries protect what they can and allow avenues to others to access.

05-Oct-15
Move to Canada, get a job being paid in Canadian funds, get your lease. Then enjoy all the restrictions of having to get an outfitter/guide if you want to hunt in pretty much any other province than the one you live in while paying the fees in $US at $0.67 on the dollar.

There is no option of buying tags and DIY hunting other provinces in Canada. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

The grass may look greener, but that's because it's a different shade of green.

05-Oct-15
A long time ago (40 plus years) there were several companies that were in the business of brokering these types of leases of Crown land had nothing to do with a hunting lease or an outfitter lease was just a lease of Goverment land to individuals both Canucks and aliens. Don't know if program still exist. I don't think owning land as a alien would get you past the residences rule for hunting.

05-Oct-15

Huntcell 's Link
http://www.lpma.nsw.gov.au/crown_lands/leases/leases

Try this link

06-Oct-15
Our family owns land in Ontario and we still need a guide for hunting.

06-Oct-15
Thank you all for your comments, I respect both sides good and indifferent.

This is what I thought that we could not become a outfitter as a non resident. I think huntcell may have the best thought and only buy land for private use and still hire a guide that is willing to work with me.

All that I am saying that we need to re-write our laws to protect ourselves like they have done. I talked with our outfitters and when they were finished with the moose hunt they were going to come into our country and go elk and deer hunting with out having to hire a guide. They are still free to set up shop anywhere they please and take money from our country.

Not trying to offend anyone, just stating the facts. John

06-Oct-15
You got the facts wrong John! Anybody can come here and hunt migratory birds all they want. Anybody can come here and buy an outfitting business and "set up shop". And if you lived here for 6 months, you could buy a resident license. Where in the US is that similar? My deer area in Ontario is wide open for you to come up and "set up shop" and there are areas there that you can "set up shop" and hunt bear. Some areas up here have draws and tags in areas only for residents, just as you have south of the border. I see a balance on both sides of the border. And you're not "Just stating the facts".

06-Oct-15
Tuff life - you can buy property in AK and hunt moose, caribou, and black bear as a NR without a guide and not worry about being in a foreign country...

06-Oct-15
I think what is being stated here is that it doesn't seem right that hunters from the U.S. are required to hire an outfitter in most of Canada (Ontario being the exception for deer from what I understand).. Yet, Canadians can come to the U.S. and hunt deer, elk, antelope, etc. without being required to hire a outfitter...in a nutshell, they are treated as a non-resident hunter as we don't differentiate between a non-resident that is a U.S. citizen and one that isn't...If someone from Alberta wants to come to Montana to hunt, they fall under the same regulations as someone from any state in the U.S.

Is that right? No, probably not......but life isn't fair they tell me. :)

06-Oct-15
It is what it is....

06-Oct-15
But in US you can go to any state and hunt. In Canada you have to get a guide/outfitter to hunt any other province. Think about that for a second. You can get a tag and hunt elk in Colorado, antelope in Wyoming and deer in Kansas, Iowa and Illinois. 5 states, 5 tags and fuel. In Canada you can hunt elk in Alberta ($4000 plus fuel, whitetail in Saskatchewan ($4000 plus fuel) and moose in Manitoba ($4000 plus fuel). 3 provinces $12000 plus fuel and that is for a CANADIAN resident. Go ahead move here and "set up shop". You have it pretty good in the US from where I'm sitting.

06-Oct-15
I have to echo Eric on this one boys. I live in Manitoba Canada and about the only thing I can hunt out of province is deer and bears in Ontario. Same as you folks. Its just like any state with restrictions. You have the same ones I do, and I'm a flipping Canadian resident. The only place I have it better is Manitoba, my own province.

Be thankful you have more states within driving distance, because for use it's a long long drive to anywhere, and then we get the exorbitant costs along with an exchange rate that'll kill you.

Quit your life, come up here and welcome aboard! Most Canadian provinces have limited their resources, but they limited them to everyone equally - Canadians and Americans alike. Only your dollar reaches a heck of a lot further.

07-Oct-15
Would love to see pics of your bull.

07-Oct-15
Canada is the only country I will travel to for any reason. The number one reason is the people I meet while being there either through guides and outfitters or the hunter/host program. The animals are fun too but I have no problem supporting the Outfitting businesses.

I have a photo of a friend from Edmonton Alberta holding his over the counter tags and they reach from his chest to the ground. He can hunt like 8 or 9 species every year. If I lived in Alberta there would no reason to hunt any where else:)

Most hunting opportunities are supply and demand so we the consumers can pick and chose our spots. Canada Rocks!

07-Oct-15
Im pretty sure regs are different from state to state and province to province.Dont believe theres any spitefull difference from either country with non res investment theres plenty of non res outfitters here.

07-Oct-15
I appreciate the opportunity to hunt Canada,hiring a guide is part of the deal. I have always enjoyed the time spent in Canada,whether hunting or fishing, and the people have always been great.

07-Oct-15
I live in Montana. If I want to hunt a wilderness area in Wyoming, I have to hire a guide. If I want to hunt sheep, goats or grizzly in Alaska, I have to hire a guide.

I have a good friend who lives in Alberta. Two years ago,he hunter/hosted on an incredible archery mule deer hunt. Cost from my door and back again was @$600. Food, gas, tags, and travel expenses were all it cost me. He paid $30 for a guides license to be able to host me.

My point being, there are many options to hunt made available or restricted by individual states and provinces. Here in the US, game and fish laws are set by each state, not the federal government. I'm assuming in Canada individual provinces manage their wildlife as they see fit.

Charlie, you need to cultivate your friendship with your buddy in Edmonton. :) I think the hunter/host program is good for elk,whitetail, mule deer, black bear, cougar, moose and wolves. But, nonresidents can not hold more than three of those tags in any single year.

07-Oct-15
I believe there are sections in quebec were non res hunters can hunt without a guide.the use of guides is both support to local economy and safety concerns.search and rescue operations cost millions and goveremnts foot the cost and spare no expense.use of guides limits persons lost and the efforts of finding lost persons.even experienced hunters can get lost.

08-Oct-15
Well it seems that I have hit the a hornets nets here.

Everyone has put in some good insight on this subject. As I do not know all the different laws of each providence and each state. I should have said that I am know of is Manitoba laws.

As a lot of you I am not opposed to hiring a guide. On our last trip we drove 2700 mile, plus cost of hotels gas and guide fee,s, I am in the same boat as you all! The guides for non resident are there for many reasons. Safety is the first thought that come to mind and knowing the laws and ensuring that there are followed. This did not happen on this last hunt and one of our members had his moose sized, but that is another story for later.

I see common thread in everyones comments both states and Canada, and is to much government regulation. How do you feel about government regulation in your area, need more or less?

John

09-Oct-15
Any Canadian resident can hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan without a guide. Any American can hunt birds in Saskatchewan without a guide. Trust me, there are thousands of bird hunters here. They have screwed up several of my Mule deer hunts lately. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence(or border). As for a lease in Saskatchewan so you can hunt, don't waste your time. I own 800 acres of land and it is illegal for me to charge anyone to hunt on my land. My options are you can hunt for free or you can't hunt. Minimum fine for a violation of that law is $1400.00! We have some good seasons and we have some horrible seasons! ie- archery elk season August 20- Sept 4. Finally, please don't call me a black hat!

10-Oct-15
Dear Bigguy, the black hat comment was not intended towards all Canadians. It was just to point out one very successful that has become very successful in the outdoor hunting realm. In fact I tip my hat for him being such a icon and leader in our field.

John

10-Oct-15
My taxidermist goes there to hunt moose. Each time he comes back, he has a story like " I hunted 7 days and saw 1 small bull moose which I shot. The natives stole half my meat, and nobody else in camp shot one."

10-Oct-15
Tuff life: Sorry about your handle! Hope things get better:)

11-Oct-15
Don't waste your time getting a 99 crown lease everybody can hunt on crown land in Manitoba. You don't need a guide to hunt birds and fish in Manitoba.

12-Oct-15
No you can’t do what Idllywildarcher said if you’re a Canadian resident. If you're a non-resident alien, our authoritarian communist like government here in Alaska makes them hunt with a guide. If you are a non-resident citizen of the USA you can do what he said.

Having a cabin rental business, I can’t even tell folks who rent from me which way to turn out the driveway without being crossways with the authoritarian communist bureaucrats.

12-Oct-15
As Bear Track has said, anyone (U.S.) can come to W Ontario and hunt whitetails on their own. They can camp with daily crown land permits which are available at any OMNRF office for a fee. Excluding areas near Kenora and Nester Falls. Can rent cabins from anyone if they wish.

Any U.S. resident who owns over 40 acres can get 1 (one)form 33 to bear hunt per 40acre or more property, without a guide. Must hunt bears in wmu that their property is within.

I think it's quite fair. Many delapitated cabins with acreage are purchased and refurbished by U.S. residents. Also helps our economy if they buy local!!

We bought our camp in Vermilion Bay from a U.S resident back in 1974. Also our lake acreage in Quibel was purchased from a Texan resident in 91'.

• Sitka Gear