Bowhunter 09-Oct-15
Cajunarcher 09-Oct-15
BB 09-Oct-15
Shug 10-Oct-15
Blacktail Bob 10-Oct-15
Nick Muche 10-Oct-15
Blacktail Bob 10-Oct-15
05-Oct-15
Woke up this morning to a facebook news feed full of posts about Roy Roth's death. I never hunted with him, but I know lots of you have. I've read alot about him and know he was one hell of a hunter and even more of an incredible man. Sad day for the hunting community. R.I.P Roy.

05-Oct-15
Damn shame......Some of his exploits and adventures are legendary.....like crawling into an occupied brown bear den. I can only hope he's chasing critters in a new spot now....My condolences to his family and Blacktail Bob.

05-Oct-15
Horrible news... Prayers to his family and friends.

05-Oct-15
That is horrible news. Prayers sent to all of the friends and family.

05-Oct-15
Wow....shocker! The man is a legend. Prayers to all.

05-Oct-15
Sad news.... everyday is precious. Ed F

05-Oct-15
wow, very sad news.

05-Oct-15
I had never met him but would have loved to. I was planning to talk to him about brown bears. Everybody had great things to say about Roy! Prayers!

05-Oct-15
Very sad indeed. Prayers to Roy's family.

05-Oct-15
OMG. So Sad! I'm not on Facebook, what happened?

05-Oct-15
Wow . What a shocker. So so sad. Prayers go out to the family. Hunt

05-Oct-15
That man was a beast. Prayers for the Roth family.

05-Oct-15
SDHNTR, What I've read on FB is that he fell on a sheep hunt. Terrible.

05-Oct-15

05-Oct-15
Unbelievable! Prayers to Roy's family. Sad time and a great loss.

05-Oct-15
Still in disbelief. Roy was the ultimate bowhunter and outdoorsman but also an awesome father, husband and friend to many. He was one of a kind and will certainly be missed.

05-Oct-15
Prayers to his family and friends.

05-Oct-15
what happened?

05-Oct-15
What terrible news. He was a guy that was admired by so many. They say he was a very humble man. Prayers for his friends and family.

05-Oct-15
Meet Roy Roth November 4th, 2010 2

When you imitate someone worthy of imitation, you can pride yourself in being an imitator. By Cameron R. Hanes

Roy Roth and I share a mountaintop experience. Roy is the toughest guy I have ever known.

Most of us know what the term “wannabe” means. For reference, a quick search online at Urban Dictionary defines wannabe in part as: “Poser, follower, a charlatan of sorts. One who copies or imitates all or most of the aspects dealing with their idol. They may wish to have certain clothing, skills, vocabulary, etc. of their idols instead of their own.”

While in high school, most of my friends and I grew up as Michael Jordan wannabes.

Maybe looking up to larger-than-life sports stars is a thing of the past, but I am still a wannabe of sorts. A hard-core, backcountry bowhunting wannabe to a guy who walks the walk. His name is Roy Roth.

The opposite of flashy, Roy is a hard-working general contractor in Alaska. He is the ultimate grab your lunch pail and get to work type of guy. He has killed some great animals — Dall sheep, grizzly bears, brown bears, mountain goats — on hunts that would be high dollar to anyone not living in Alaska, but Roy is as blue-collar as they come. Just the other day he called and asked if I had any broadheads I could spare. “Yeah, what are you shooting?” I asked. “Whatever you gave me last time,” Roy responded.

When I first started hunting with Roy over 20 years ago, he was the toughest guy I’d ever met. That hasn’t changed. He is also the very best outdoorsman I’ve ever known.

Unflappable in times of high stress, Roy is the perfect hunting partner and a guy who has taught me many valuable lessons. But even more than his woodsmanship and hunting success, I admire and aspire to achieve his toughness, approach, and attitude. As a self-labeled Roy Roth wannabe, I am not afraid to share that. Here are some examples that stand out.

Toughness. Back in the early 90’s, Roy and I wanted to hunt the backcountry, but we couldn’t afford to hire a horse packer. Thankfully, his dad decided to buy some llamas, which we trained to haul our gear. During one scouting trip deep into Oregon’s Three Sisters Wilderness with the llamas, Roy was heating some dinner on a single-burner propane stove, using a pot with a handle that would hang down on the bottom side of the pot — essentially right in the propane flame.

We were boiling water to make a little mac & cheese, so once it came to boil Roy gingerly lifted the handle and grabbed it to lift the pot off the burner. Well, that handle was branding-iron hot, and when Roy began to lift the pot, the handle melted into the skin on his fingers. He couldn’t throw it down because boiling water is a precious commodity in the backcountry. So he set it down as fast as possible while exclaiming, “Jimmy Christmas that is hot.” (As a side note, in close to 30 years of knowing Roy, I’ve never heard him utter even one cuss word.)

Anyway, he had a deep burn, seemingly to the bone, on the back side of his second knuckle where the pot handle had rested as he lifted the pot. We stayed in the wilderness for a couple days after that, and he never mentioned it again. He just wrapped his fingers in duct tape and kept on keeping on.

Approach. No mountain is too high or challenge too great for Roy to overcome. Back in 2001, Roy and a couple of buddies and I were hunting spring bears on Prince of Wales Island. To hunt the way we do there, we need a decent-sized aluminum boat with an outboard capable of handling big, rough, open water. Early on in our hunt, the outboard went gunny bag. We had a tiny inflatable raft — an eight-footer, I think — with an equally tiny eight horse outboard. We’d hauled it along just for emergencies.

Well, Roy knew the success of our hunt was in jeopardy. Without the big skiff and 40-horsepower motor, the four of us simply could not cover enough country. Roy decided to do something. Just as dark was falling he hopped into the inflatable raft, fired up the little outboard, and took off toward the closest town, 15 or so miles away. Mind you, most of his travel would be in the dark. Even worse, the front of the lightweight raft constantly tried to lift off the water, seemingly ready to blow over. So, for about three hours, Roy had to operate the throttle while leaning toward the front to keep the raft from blowing over backward.

He got to town late, slept for a while, and somehow, someway, found an outfit that would fly a new motor out from Ketchikan — on a Sunday, no less. The next day, the other guys and I hung around camp, shooting our bows and wondering what was going on, when we spotted a fishing boat in the distance. As it got closer and closer we could see Roy on board. He had hitched a ride with a commercial boat operator, new outboard motor and all! We were in business again, and we all ended up killing big POW black bears, which would never have happened without Roy’s over-the-top effort.

Attitude. I could fill a book with stories to illustrate Roy’s positive attitude, but I’ll have to settle for a couple that drive this point home. On a recent Dall sheep hunt together I made a terrible shot on a ram, and with what many hunters might have considered a superficial wound, certainly less than lethal, Roy and I were on the same “it might take a week but we’ll get him” page. Without him there I may have wavered at times (I think I would have stayed fast on the mission), but with Roy on the scene, there was never any doubt. That makes a big difference. As it was, we put together one of the best, most committed blood-trailing efforts of our bowhunting careers, and we recovered that ram, my first and only P&Y sheep.

Another time, again while hunting Dall sheep, Roy knew of a band of sheep up on the mountain but couldn’t really figure out a way to get to them. He ended up leaving his bow strapped to his pack for almost three full days as he cut his way with a machete through brush before breaking out into the open. Every day he’d roll out of his sleeping bag, load up, and start hacking through a sea of devil’s club. The effort eventually paid off, and Roy arrowed one of his many Dall rams.

Roy doesn’t bowhunt for glory. Through the years and all the bowhunting success he’s experienced, Roy has never once sent in a picture to a magazine for publication, never once written an article telling of his experiences, never once tried to reach out to a TV network about putting together a show. And as crazy as it sounds in this day and age, Roy has neve r once made a hunting-forum or Facebook posting! E-mails? He’s sent a handful in his life. If I hadn’t written a few articles about Roy and his exploits, his bowhunting accomplishments would be largely unknown.

All that being said, Roy does bowhunt for something other than punching tags and filling freezers. In an article called “It’s Not about the Bow,” which I wrote a few years ago, I asked Roy how he is so successful on some of the toughest bowhunts in the world.

“Not 100% sure what is my key to success,” Roy answered. “I think it is probably a lot of little things. Above all, I always stay positive!

“A few random thoughts I think sum up my approach,” Roy continued. “I try to learn from people who know more than me and I try to make my own luck by doing the extra stuff. Above all, I believe God blessed me with certain gifts to use for His glory.”

Personally, despite the somewhat negative connotation of the Urban Dictionary definition, I don’t think being a wannabe is necessarily a bad thing. The way I see it, looking up to people who stand for the right things, do things the right way, and stay true to themselves is nothing but positive. I don’t have any problem being a Roy Roth wannabe. How about you? Do you know someone who makes you a bowhunting wannabe? I hope so.

05-Oct-15

Bou'bound's Link
Great video or roy and cam hanes on a brown bear hunt two months ago.

05-Oct-15
Rest in peace, Roy. Prayers to his family and friends.

Life is short, don't waste it.

05-Oct-15
Bowfreak I really enjoyed reading that. Such sad news. I never knew Roy but have friends who have hunted with him and I see Cam always post about his hunts with him. Always heard about his positive attitude and he just seemed like that kinda guy you always wanted to be around. He really was living the dream. Prayers for everyone who was close to him.

05-Oct-15
Damn...what a tragedy. Never met him but learned of him through the articles Cam wrote on him. Sounded like the epitome of what we as bowhunters and outdoorsmen and women strive to be. Condolences to the family and RIP, Roy.

05-Oct-15
Tough news. Tough soul! RIP!

05-Oct-15
Happy hunting Roy, wherever you may be.

Great write-up btw.

05-Oct-15
What a loss. Roy is one person I wished I could have met.

05-Oct-15
Sad news to lose such a good person

05-Oct-15
Man life is short and you just never know. Still in shock. Happy hunting Roy.

05-Oct-15
What a great man. A legend. So sad to hear.

Prayers sent to his family.

Mark

05-Oct-15
I was lucky enough to have shared two mountain goat hunts with Roy, He was everything everyone is saying! I am a better person for having met him. Rest in peace Roy and prayers to your family.

05-Oct-15
Sad news. RIP Roy.

05-Oct-15
Very sad news. RIP.

05-Oct-15
Sad news!! A great man by all accounts!

Condolences to the family!

05-Oct-15
Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

A legend of a man who lived his life on his terms. Few you can say that about. RIP.

05-Oct-15
RIP

05-Oct-15
So what happened?

05-Oct-15
I heard the news while traveling in the UP of Michigan. Unable to respond.

05-Oct-15
Like some have stated, I only knew of Roy through Cameron Hanes' articles and seeing him on TV once or twice. By all accounts, if Roy couldn't do it, it wasn't doable. Sad to hear, and prayers for his family and friends.

05-Oct-15
R.I.P. Roy. Horrible news

05-Oct-15
Terrible news! Prayers sent to family from Wyoming!

05-Oct-15
Sad news! Never met the man but talked about him with mutual friends many times. Never heard a bad thing about him in all those stories. R.I.P.

05-Oct-15
Feeling blessed to have known him through those that have hunted with him, reading his stories and getting an "outside in" glimpse of a man who, by unanimous account, was beyond reproach. Prayers and condolences to his family and friends. I fear he will be sorely missed.....

05-Oct-15

HuntinHabit's Link
RIP.

05-Oct-15
Sad news. RIP big Roy. Prayers for his family and friends.

05-Oct-15
R.I.P. Roy. Prayers to your family. Sad, sad day.

05-Oct-15
Thanks HH.

Sad news indeed!

05-Oct-15
WASILLA — A well-known area sheep hunter died after falling down a mountainside Sunday evening, authorities said.

Roy Roth, 49, of Wasilla, was the owner and guide for Roy Roth’s Alaskan Adventures, a hunting and fishing service.

Roth was hunting sheep on Pioneer Peak near Goat Creek when he fell down the mountainside. A hunter in Roth’s party hiked down the mountain and confirmed his death, according to an Alaska State Troopers media release.

Troopers and the Alaska Mountain Rescue Group are working to recover Roth’s body, which is in a location requiring technical expertise to recover, according to the dispatches.

"We don't have a lot more than that right now because we haven't reached the scene," said spokeswoman Megan Peters on Monday at about 3:15 p.m.

Roth has been featured on the cover of magazines like Bowhunter, and hunters had already taken to several outdoors forums to post remembrances of the man on Monday.

Calls to Roth’s guide business were not immediately returned Monday afternoon. Listed numbers for his construction business had been disconnected.

Pioneer Peak is a 6,398-foot mountain that rises dramatically from the Knik River Valley. Its steep slopes are popular for both fall hunters and backcountry hikers in the summer.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

05-Oct-15
Such tragic news!!!Prayers to his family ! Bob and Lisa im so sorry for the loss of your close friend Roy. From the stories Bob told me about Roy ,Roy lived every day to its fullest.

05-Oct-15
Sad news....RIP

05-Oct-15
Sad news. Prayers to comfort his family and friends. His greatness will echo in eternity.

06-Oct-15
Bob,

I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. I have never met Roy but he was bigger than life to me due to all of the stories I have heard and read about him. God Bless you, your wife and all of Roy's family. Such a tragic loss.

06-Oct-15
Damn...

06-Oct-15
Awful news. So very sorry to hear this. May God bless this family and the vacuum that he leaves.

06-Oct-15
I never met him, but always wanted to. Terrible loss. Condolences to his family and friends.

06-Oct-15
So sorry to hear about the loss of a very great man!! Prayers sent to his family and friends. He is missed by many!!!

Best regards, Scott Alberda

06-Oct-15
Thank you for all the kind comments. This news is so difficult for his family and friends to deal with. I have not been able to talk with anyone, but Lisa talked with Jill this morning,she is unbelievably strong. In addition to this, her father passed last week. She is dealing with everything better than anyone could expect.

We are flying back to Alaska Thursday and there will be a memorable for Roy sometime this weekend. I'd like to thank Butch at Bluff Bucks Outfitters in Alma WI for being so understanding with rescheduling our Whitetail hunt. He didn't have to do that for us.

All I can say about Roy is that he was doing something he loved and lived for. He knew absolutely no fear when hunting. Lisa said we sometime probably went farther and longer because we always knew Roy could get us out of trouble if needed. And he always did. I guess this time it was just too much and no one else was depending on him.

No better hunting partner has there ever been. Rest in peace my friend and enjoy your final hunt.

06-Oct-15
Bob, I know Roy's death just happened and many decisions must be made in a timely fashion...... something to think about:

-His kids and their future education. Almost always a need in young families. If the need is there, we should help create "Roth Children College Fund".

I am in.

Let us know how we can help.

Mark

06-Oct-15
Sounds like he was an incredible person, RIP.

06-Oct-15

iceman's Link
Mark, It looks like a gofundme account has already been set up.

06-Oct-15
Good, I was hoping someone would set up a fund for his family.

06-Oct-15
Very sad. Prayers sent to the family.

06-Oct-15
Sorry about your friend Bob. Sounds like someone who filled in "the dash" pretty well. Peace be with his friends and family.

06-Oct-15
There is a Go Fund Me account set up for his family.

06-Oct-15
Prayers for Roy's family. Condolences on the loss of your good friend Bob.

06-Oct-15
Very sorry to hear. I just read all the posts on his facebook page and watched Cam's bear hunts in July with him this year. Prayers for his family and friends. Thankful for his testimony as a fellow believer.

07-Oct-15
So sad especially for his family. He is in a better place now.

07-Oct-15
I did not know Roy, but have friends that knew him quite well. He reminds me a lot of Bart Schleyer in many ways. Bart died on a solo hunt, also at 49 years old. Roy was embarking on a solo sheep hunt, but it wasn't until the last minute that a friend decided to tag along and help pack gear and film the first few days of the hunt. I guess it was also his purpose to be there when Roy's time here was up. Prayers sent and peace to the families. Mike

07-Oct-15
Very sad......thoughts with his family

07-Oct-15
Godspeed Roy and God's peace to your family and friends.

07-Oct-15
It really is a reminder about how what we do, be it mountain or treestand, river or creek, etc. does have an element of risk that accompanies the adventure and there are no guarantees that even the most seasoned people are prepared to everything or immune to anything. I know last year there was a goat hunter in CO that posted a bit on here that was killed in a fall while packing out a billy.

07-Oct-15
Great to hear on the gofundme account for Roy's family.

There is always ways we can help.

Mark

07-Oct-15
So sad to hear this. I had the pleasure of hunting Brown Bear with Roy last year. Bob said it best...Roy had no fear when hunting. He gave it 100% all the time. He lived everyday to the fullest. Condolences go out to all family, friends and anyone close to Roy. RIP Roy Roth. The legend of Roy Roth lives strong.

07-Oct-15
Sorry to hear the tragic loose of a fellow hunter and close friend of many.

09-Oct-15

Blacktail Bob's Link
Here is an article in the local paper about Roy.

Roy and Jill have three kids, two of which are married, but the youngest is still in high school. I'd like to encourage anyone who thinks they might want to help out his family to go to the GO FUND ME account set up for them. Do what you can.

Roy was such a great man who did so much for everyone around him. I hoping the Bowhunting community, his second family, will pitch in to help.

09-Oct-15
Great article.

09-Oct-15

Blacktail Bob's Link
I guess this is the link.

09-Oct-15
Great article I guess!

A very fitting tribute to a man who lived is life to the fullest!

"I never met Roy. From Alaska and being a bowhunter I always appreciated the things that were said about this man with regards to toughness and the hard work that went into what he loved to do. What many of us love to do. I'm guessing with him it wasn't always about the easy way, the cut path, the fair weather. From what was said over the years about him and his bowhunting, I'm guessing there was a lot of True Grit involved. I identify with that. And I feel for his family. And for those who might not understand the love of the hunt, what he loved to do, what he was doing until the end, it precedes many of the things that take up our time in today's world. Embracing the natural world, not as a spectator, but taking part in it, he probably understood that we don't get to decide the end of our own story. But we get the chance to help author the chapters. Our efforts to adapt and explore and succeed as hunter gatherers comes from an inherent and instinctive desire to do as humans have done for a long time. It is not a sport. It's real life. It precedes politics, football, golf, Nascar, poetry, almost everything in fact. The world has changed over time, but it hasn't changed everyone. Some people are still drawn to the shore, the river, the ocean, and the mountain. Not to follow the trail or visit the park or enjoy the scenic vista for some sunset photos. But rather to cut their own trail and do the hard work of the heart. From some place deep inside. And for that, not having known the man, I appreciate him. True Grit. From a distance I could see he had it. Rest easy big man."

I copied and pasted this from the gofundme site.....pretty much sums it up!

Mark

09-Oct-15
Bob, prayers for you and your family, and for Roy's family and friends. Roy has been an inspiration to me over the years reading stories about him written by Cam Hanes and others. He was larger than life even though I never had the pleasure to meet the man. God bless everyone suffering through his loss. Thank you Roy for showing us how far grit, determination, and "want to" can get us. Godspeed.

09-Oct-15
I just added $ to the go fund me account and shared the go fund me page on my Facebook wall as well. Hopefully we can get more folks to donate to help his family even more.

Prayers again to the Roth family.

09-Oct-15
Thank you so much Kelly. It means a lot to me personally and to his family too.

09-Oct-15
Bob Louis called Me when I was just outside of St Louis. What a Shock I'm glad I got to meet him when he was at our MBA convention I'm very sorry If there is any thing I can Do Let me know.

09-Oct-15
Sad news! R.I.P

09-Oct-15
RIP praying for the family . I've read a lot about him and his journey. World lost a great man for sure .

09-Oct-15
Sorry to hear such tragic news. I remember Bob always talking about him with reverence and total respect. Peace and understanding to his friends and family. May we all be so lucky to go out doing what we love, rather than in an old folks home where someone has to change our diaper. I for one fear that far more than a bear or cliff. But its so sad it happened when he was so young. Best to you Roy on the other side and to your family here! BB

10-Oct-15
I was flipping through the channels last week and stopped on the Larry the cable guys tv show only in America. I never would have stopped but he was in Alaska. In one of the segments Roy was on coaching his HS football team....he had them packing out a moose for exercise.

pretty smart fella

10-Oct-15

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I just came from Roy's memorial service. They had to hold it at the Palmer High School. Although it was very difficult for me to see his family and some of his closest friends, it was a very heart warming experience. Roy touched so many people through coaching, hunting and his church. He was loved by many.

10-Oct-15
What a very very sad day it was to hear of this news. One never knows how much time they have left. Prayers sent to the family and his friends. Bob I hope you're doing alright. Take care.

10-Oct-15
Thanks Nick. Its getting easier each day. I was able to hug each member of the Roth family today and that helped too.

• Sitka Gear