Huntcell 07-Oct-15
midwest 07-Oct-15
Elkaddict 07-Oct-15
Shiras 07-Oct-15
06-Oct-15

midwest's Link
Lucky fellow...

06-Oct-15
I would have bet the house the title of this thread was a typo! Lucky young man....that actually listened to his elders!

06-Oct-15
Interesting that he was attempting to drive elk to his hunting buddy.

I hadn't heard of anyone using this old deer hunting technique for bowhunting deer much less for bowhunting elk.

I know tree stands are becoming more popular for elk hunting but are elk drives catching on?

06-Oct-15
heck every hunter i had seen this tr was armed with lead one guy had 12ga and pistol as he called for his friend

06-Oct-15
to hell with bear spray, i am getting a 4 foot long tongue suppressor.

06-Oct-15
"I want everyone to know that it wasn't the bear's fault. He was as scared as I was,"

I've got news for you buddy: That bear was not as scared as you were. Otherwise, he would have run away. Instead, he chose to bite you on the head, then the leg. Grizzly Fight or Flight leans heavily to the "Fight" side of the isle. MT grizz have no natural fear of humans.

And I can't stand it when I read this "it wasn't the bear's fault" kind of nonsense. The encounter wasn't the bear's fault, that's on you for waking a sleeping bear. The bear's reaction, though, is entirely on the bear. If it had killed you, that would have made him a man-killer. When you wake a sleeping deer, they don't bite you on the head, then bite your leg and shake you like a dog shaking a rat.

If a guy cuts me off on the freeway and I pull out a gun and shoot him, he's guilty of a traffic violation and I'm guilty of murder.

This society's transference of guilt to a prior action in all cases has gotten so out of hand. I had a patient once sue a hardware store when he sat in a display chair and it broke. It wasn't his fault that he weighed just shy of 400 lbs and plopped his fat ass down on a rickity chair, it was whoever put the chair together.

06-Oct-15
Ike, you need to come out of your shell, maybe learn to express your true feelings. Trust me, you'll feel better ! :)

07-Oct-15
IdyllwildArcher- I for one found the guy's attitude refreshing. He wasn't playing the victim and had a good understanding that the bear was acting in a completely normal way for a grizzly to act.

Grizzlies aren't deer. "it wasn't the bear's fault" "nonsense" as you term it was his understanding that he was the one ventured way beyond the safe zone for a grizzly encounter and didn't consider the bear to be at fault. Nor did he want the bear to be killed because of the attack. This is a completely different scenario than a bear stalking and attacking him or raiding livestock, etc.

Many of us who live among and encounter potentially deadly predators don't expect them to be completely scared of us. There are boundaries that exist in most human/bear/lion encounters and sometimes humans are the ones who bear the responsibility for crossing those lines. It's usually the predator that pays the penalty by being killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it's not habitual behavior that will continue to be dangerous to others in the future, there's no reason for that bear to be euthanized.

07-Oct-15
I see your point and I appreciate it. I acknowledged that he instigated the encounter and I never said the bear needed to be destroyed. I used the word nonsense, not because I felt the bear had done something "wrong," but because the entire sentence is a non sequitur. The guy was the cause of the encounter. After that, there is no "fault." The bear reacted according to how bears react, which in this case, is pretty predicable: attack and maim (and possibly kill) that which startles you.

I just don't sympathize with defending the actions of animals. That's quasi-anthropomorphism. Their temperament comes from instinct, not frontal lobe logic.

I've taken 7 back country trips into grizzly country in the past 15 years. I don't hate them. I don't fear them. I don't get any sort of nostalgia for them. I don't defend them when they attack people.

As a side note, perhaps I'm jaded, but I feel zero remorse when an animal that is not endangered is destroyed after a negative run-in with a human. And grizzlies are not endangered no matter how they're listed.

07-Oct-15
That is crazy!

Thanks for sharing the link Nick

Good luck, Robb

07-Oct-15
Before I went on my polar bear bowhunts, I remember being told of an Eskimo woman that was attacked by a polar bear. In the struggle, she was pinned to the ground, and on her back....she tried to punch the bear, and in the process, actually hit him in the mouth.... And her mitten came off in the process....it ended the attack, as the bear ran away....

Interesting comment about the gag response in large mammals.

07-Oct-15
Be my luck to disturb a gay bear that doesn't have a gag reflex response left!

07-Oct-15
LOL@ Huntcell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-Oct-15
Huntcell, I said something similar yesterday to the guys in the office....must have been a male bear, it had a gag reflex :)

07-Oct-15
Huntcell, or better yet a gay bear that was standing over your face and chewing on your foot when you tried the "gag reflex" on the other end. :)

• Sitka Gear