midwest 09-Oct-15
BTM 10-Oct-15
shane 10-Oct-15
kellyharris 10-Oct-15
greg simon 10-Oct-15
Huntcell 10-Oct-15
Jaquomo 10-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
I hunt alone almost all the time and, heaven forbid, I fall out of the tree or get hurt I'd like my family and spouse to be able to track me via my phone if I'm not able to use my phone.

I'm guessing there's an app that lets someone track me (probably put over Google Earth) if I give them permission but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have an app like this?

06-Oct-15
What kind of phone? I know this app exists on iphone but have no experience with Android. Just make sure you turn it off when you stop at the store (Cabela's)on the way home!

06-Oct-15
I have an iPhone. I know there's "find my iPhone" app but we don't share the same iCloud account that I think we need to share to use that app in the way we want to.

Yes a quick way to shut it off would be nice when one decides to go fishing and not tell her LOL!

06-Oct-15
Zinger: Do the latest software up-grade for IOS 9.01 and the "Find Friends" app will appear. Enable that and you're good to go.

As an aside I personally would never turn this on:)

Remember the song "I got this feeling somebody's watching me"??

06-Oct-15
You only need your Apple ID and password to track your iPhone. My iPhone was stolen at a car rental store, one of the employees let me use her phone to locate mine. Your wife will need the find my iPhone app. Open the app then enter your Apple ID and password and bingo her phone will show where your phone is. To prevent tracking you have to turn off your phone.

06-Oct-15
Maybe some guys should use it to track their wives while hunting

06-Oct-15
I use an Delorme Inreach you can send your location, text messages and it has the sos button if you need emergency assistance.

06-Oct-15

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo

06-Oct-15
there's hand held GPS that have SOS and locator on them in case of said accidents... they use the satellites so work anywhere... your cell uses cell towers, and if your out of range of the towers, the location apps wont work... when I'm in the woods, I'm generally out of range of any cell towers...

06-Oct-15
Delorme InReach.. It works off satellite. The plan is reasonable and you only pay for as long as you need it. I use mine for elk hunting, especially when I'm hunting alone.

06-Oct-15
Look at a free app called Life 360. My wife and I tried it and it's pretty amazing.

06-Oct-15
CT, I was hunting in the woodlot to the north, I just parked my truck near the club, I swear!!!

I know there are several tracking apps available. I have friends with teenaged kids that use them.

07-Oct-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Check out the SPOT Messenger 3.. I purchased this for the first time this year while elk hunting 250 miles from home and 2 miles back in a Wilderness Area in Colorado. I would be away from home the whole season but would hike down to the truck every 5 days, and find Cell coverage and call home.

But the other 5 days, I used the SPOT, via satellite. and then an email, to let my wife know ( primary message is, I am OK.)

The other message was, Animal Down, I will be home soon.. I would send the OK message every evening when I returned to camp. ONe can send as many OKs as needed.

The other message, is the SOS, if you get injured and really need help. This message, along with your exact location and a Google Picture of your location is broadcasted to the local authorities.

The SPOT does have a "tracking" foot print on a Google Earth map, capability but I did not use it.

I purchased the unit , on sale, for 75$. The cost per year is 149$ to use the system

Hope this helps. Paul

08-Oct-15
Just like Paul I use the Spot.

08-Oct-15
"You mean a full time night woman???" could track you?

No thank you.

What Paul said, the Spot is about the most economical and literally can be used anywhere on the planet, not just where you have cell coverage. I'm looking at a couple other systems with more capabilities, but my understanding, cost effective and filling the need.... Spot is hard to beat.

08-Oct-15
TD,

It is probably a good idea that you not install one of these tracking apps on your phone....

The old "I am just going out to shoot Lava Leopards" excuse may not cut it any longer. :)

08-Oct-15
Someone needs to develop an impact app. If you take a dive out of an oak....

08-Oct-15
I have a "leavemethehellalone" app. They come free with every dumb phone. But that's only for default if you forget to leave it in the truck where it belongs in the first place and accidently take it with you. It's called the "OFF" button.

08-Oct-15
X2 Delorme Inreach - Great invention!

08-Oct-15
My nephew does search and rescue in the Snowys and he used the Iphone app to locate a snowmobiler that was lost and out of fuel. His wife knew the log in info.

08-Oct-15
Delorme Inreach. Every time you send a text with it, it locates you on a map that the recipient can see.

It also has a "SOS" button that would instantly locate you and dispatch rescue if needed.

The places I go, phones are useless.

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Oct-15
heck i want a app to disappear from the world i love no contact with the outside world ! when i do get cell service its nothing but BS , I had the spot but chucked it , if i cant myself out of a jam so be it .

08-Oct-15
I'm in the wilds solo year round and always have the SPOT in my pack. I don't use the "track" function, though, because I don't care to let anyone know where I am besides my wife, who gets a couple check-in messages a day with my GPS coordinates and a link to a satellite map.

Well worth the $9 a month..

08-Oct-15
The SPOT sounds great if you're way back in. I'm hunting whitetails where it's pretty hard to get more than 1/2 mile from a road.

Woods Walker, You may not care about your safety but I bet your wife and kids do. If you fall out of a tree or somehow get hurt tell me you wouldn't want a phone to call for help? No one is saying that you need to be surfing the net on it while you're hunting, i don't, I just want it for safety reasons.

08-Oct-15
I can see taking something like a beacon with a distress button when you're of the grid in AK. I can also see the advantage a sat phone would bring if you wanted to arrange pick up for a downed animal.

Still, I'd rather die in a jam than be tracked while I'm fine. There's something about being trackable that kills the satisfaction I get from wanderlust.

08-Oct-15
Who says I don't care about my safety? 75% of the time I'm in the woods I don't have coverage anyway, so I just continue to use the skills and common sense that I learned 50 years ago when I started hunting.

Is it a risk? Sure. But when my time comes I'd FAR rather it be in the woods doing something I love than rotting away in a nursing home or dying from cancer like I watched my parents do.

I understand that these are tools and that's fine. But one of the reasons why I go into the woods in the first place is to get away from the tools that dominate my daily life.

Please understand that for me, the use and presence of tech gadgets like this TAKE AWAY from my enjoyment of the hunt and NOT enhance it. If I have to carry and use all that stuff I'd rather stay home.

09-Oct-15
And if you use a phone, or other device in case you fall. DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR PACK. Keep it in your pocket. Fall from a tree stand and the pack is up in the tree, not much use.

09-Oct-15
I don't wanta be found. Or a wife. Lol

09-Oct-15
I can understand some of the feelings towards not wanting this kind of thing in the field. But a part of me thinks we owe it to our family for their piece of mind if nothing else. The story of the guy dragging himself to safety for 4 miles really could have ended up pretty bad...for his wife and kids.

After loosing a good friend to Cancer and seeing what his family is going through it puts me in a different perspective from their shoes. They have anger which is normal, can you imagine how much anger they would have if it could have been prevented and he choose not to do anything about it?

09-Oct-15
Changing times for sure. I hear people say they just wouldn't feel safe going anywhere without their cell phone. The electronic leash phenomena is a bit of a blight on personal freedom. On the other hand...

With the ability (in pocket) to gain assistance if injured, it seems pretty logical to have it and use it if needed. I tend to look at it from the perspective of my wife and family...pretty selfish of me to insist on no forms of electronic communication (again, in pocket) if it means I die where I might otherwise live. Maybe I'm okay with the chances...maybe they are not and they are the ones who pay the price if I am unlucky that day.

I'm not interested in being tracked constantly while hunting. No way. I do believe in having some way of alerting people if I get hurt. My phone will suffice around here. A PLB or satellite phone is my choice in the backcountry.

09-Oct-15
Depending on your activity, I think you'd be far better off with a SPOT.

My cousin drowned in a duck hunting accident 3 years ago. We searched through the night, based on his truck location, suspected hunt location, and his last cell phone "ping".

After a full night of searching (several boats and a plane with some sort of heat imaging equipment), his layout boat was found partially submerged 1 mile from the cell phone "ping", and dragging began.

He and his hunting partner were then found tangled in the decoys, submerged, about a quarter mile below the boat

I don't believe a SPOT would have saved them, by any means. But we might have had a quicker resolution with more exact location. And from being there, the long afternoon and night of searching, morning after of dragging, etc, put the family through even more hell

Bake

09-Oct-15
I used to be in the "well, if I get in a jam I can't get out of, so be it" crowd but realized how selfish that is. Think of the grief you would cause your family and rescuers trying to find you when you go missing.

Got an InReach this last season. Wonderful tool and I can get an updated weather report from my gf when I request it.

10-Oct-15
LOL Woods Walker!

That being said, I use the SPOT to send a "here I am" message once a day to relatives who (say they) care about me.

A little off-topic, but I like the following line by a stand-up comic: "I carry a combination GPS locator/lie detector. It's called a wedding ring!"

10-Oct-15
I have never used it but the Garmin Rhino has features that can communicate with other Rhino users. If your wife has one that may work. I have no experience with it but sounds like it may work.

I know that I hunt alone a lot and am really thinking about trying this.

Does anyone have any experience with the Rhino gps units?

10-Oct-15
Why would you want such an App?

I take it you have not been married for very long?

10-Oct-15
Amen to that Kelly!

10-Oct-15
Barring there misleading handles, there are some real MEN on here.

Bad ass mountian men.

Back in the day o Jim Bridger would return from one of his month to year long forays only to discover he is a papa again and sometimes find out he wasn't married, she passed in child birth. He quickly found anther to manage the fort and off he go again keeping track of himself all the while. Hoping for the best when he returned. He went thru 4 or 5 "full time women" some say more. One of his daughters ended up keeping track of him in his latter years. So somebody is keeping track of you! Or wants to keep track of you!

10-Oct-15
I spend a lot of time alone in the mountains, off trails, often in bad places. 100+ days a year. I'm over 60. Rarely am I sitting in a tree in Uncle Milo's woodlot where there is cell service. I used to be the macho tough guy who believed in total self reliance in the wilderness, thought other guys were pussies.

Then a hunter I was guiding had a heart attack and died on the mountain despite my best efforts to save him. Would an SOS with coordinates to nearby EMTs have saved him? I don't know. But I wish I'd had that option.

Then I tore my leg apart when a big sharp spruce staub rammed through my calf and broke off inside when scouting. I managed to make it out and drive myself 60 miles to an ER, but the trauma surgeon told me I was REALLY lucky.

Then a moose tried to kill me and I had a showdown with an angry cougar at 10 feet. No one knew where I was when these events happened. When I tell my wife I'm going on "Black Mountain", I could be anywhere within 6 square miles. My elk hunting area comprises about 500 square miles and no one knows where I am on any given day.

I consider a SPOT as a critical life-saving component of my everyday survival kit, along with a space blanket and quick-clot. Like anything else, it can be overused, ie. . posting your continuous track to Spacebook or texting with the wife about the dog barfing on the carpet. I don't consider a night time "I'm ok" check in with my wife to be over use, especially when I'm out alone for weeks at a time sometimes.

Like any other tool, its all in how you use it.

• Sitka Gear