nutritionist 11-Oct-15
Mark Watkins 12-Oct-15
wilbur 13-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
Looks like a brassicas blend?

What all is in it?

Mark

07-Oct-15
Looks good Pat. I hope to try some of his seed next year. Thanks for the pic.

07-Oct-15
I'll be trying his seed next year instead of WTI

07-Oct-15

gundog's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
gundog's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Pat, Is that John's 'Frozen Four' mix? How are you keeping the deer out? I planted that mix and the deer are hammering it. It stopped raining here shortly after my plot germinated so it hasn't made it to 24", but the plot accomplished what I was after.

I'm looking forward to trying John's soy bean mix in the spring.

Howard

07-Oct-15
Pat - did you order from him directly or online somewhere?

07-Oct-15
Pat, looks great. I prefer corn fields.

07-Oct-15
Now that's impressive.

07-Oct-15
my website is www.grandparayoutdoors.com

each product i sell has pictures of it and when you click on READ MORE, there is product information sheets on them. Coming soon.....videos of me talking about the pros and cons of each product.

The mix Pat shows above i think is grains and greens. The frosty delight looks similar, but i am not sure i shipped him both mixes. He can answer that.

I bill through paypal and ship same day or next day.

I have all my mixes planted all over the US. I have been in the industry for 24 years and don't sell any "filler seeds, poor palatability seeds or lower nutrition blends.

I am a deer nutritonist and my focus is on "sward density" and maximum nutrition per acre per year. The brassicas i sell are more palatable than those on the market.

I also am testing experimentals 1-2 years before release. There is an incredible legume blend i will test one more year before release that will yield double what standard clover blends do.

I also tested 4 different types of annual clovers this year and found an incredible one that the deer pound and keep coming back to.

I also focus on forages many companies wont sell because of price. Meaning they won't make enough money to put them in their mixes. I can do it because I don't put all my money into fancy bags, nor do i rely on my wildlife company to make a living. So, i put less margin on products.

Lastly, i don't use rape genetics but more kale genetics I don't sell annual ryegrass in any mixes. What i sell, deer eat. I don't sell , GROUND COVER.

07-Oct-15
Looks great, Pat. Thanks for sharing. We did a plot last year with a 4 brassica mix that served as a nurse crop for a clover/chicory mix. The mixes were from John, and the plot turned out fantastic. Pat, thank you for running this site. It is a amazing source for knowledge for us weekend plotters that like to tinker.

08-Oct-15
How do you keep deer out?

08-Oct-15
i planted John forage beans WOW by far the best item i have ever planted deer love um its still green green oct 3 also did some of his clover i did one cut nd its taken over !

i cant wait top plant again next spring !!!!

John please save me 3 acres of them forage beans !!!!

08-Oct-15
I will echo what City said about the forage beans. I planted the quad pro. Forage bean, lab lab, cowpea and trailing bean. Deer are hitting it now, but I can't wait till all the crop are out and it gets cold. They should hammer it.

James

08-Oct-15
James my forage beans are around miles of AG type beans it truly seems the deer prefer these forage type beans over the AG type ,,

08-Oct-15
I don't disagree City. I think on my place this is the first year for this plot and I'm not sure the "heard" has found it. I see the same 4 or 5 doe and a couple young bucks hitting it. That is why I anticipate more deer hitting it when it gets cold.

This food plot stuff is as addicting as the actual hunting.

James

08-Oct-15
Pat, When did you plant that plot?...you have simular Temps and elvation/seasons as my plot in mass. Brassica didn't do well in mine this year.

08-Oct-15
I supplemented my Evolved harvest plot with white turnips and sugar beets and it came great. I planted the 12th of August and mine is up over 2ft. I would like to try that blend you have there. Shawn

08-Oct-15

MaBow's embedded Photo
MaBow's embedded Photo
I planted the frosty forage on August 1st and it has done good. Can't wait for the deer to start hitting it.

10-Oct-15
Pat, how much fertilizer did you use?

(Sorry if you've already answered that question.)

10-Oct-15
Thanks

10-Oct-15
How late can you hunt the grains and greens? Is it gone with the first frost?

11-Oct-15
X2 on Pat.

The most use we had on brassicas was the year we had the really cold winter. By spring, the plot was so hoofed up, it looked like it had been hit with a rototiller.

The trails were obvious coming off of the neighbors from at least three directions.

11-Oct-15
Nutritionist, do you ship to any retail outlets? What is average cost per bag to ship?

Thks

11-Oct-15
Now that i have the new website up and pricing set, i am going to try to get more dealers set up around the US. I can ship direct to people but I prefer to have people buy from dealers whenever possible. If anyone knows of agronomy centers, feed mills, and hunting outlets that might be interested in being a dealer, pass the word. Note $1 from every bag sold/purchased goes directly to youth hunters education and disabled youth hunts in the dealers area.

The grains and greens stays green down to 5-10 degrees. For 2016, i added peas to the mix to add another nitrogen fixating source to go along with the grains and brassicas. The sources of brassicas i use are more palatable than many. I use more kale genetics as well as better disease package brassicas than the standard rape's, rangiolas, hunter brassicas and those types. Healthier brassicas tend to be consummed better than those under stress or disease.

Many of my clients have shown me pictures of the deer eating their brassicas before a frost and this is typical for my mixes. Also the secret to sweeter brassicas is having good pH, good soil organic matter, using sulfur as well as having the right genetics.

I ship using one rate boxes. $11.30 for the medium size and $15.80 for large. I can typically fit (4)- 4 1/2 lb bags of seed per box. I have found freight best to ship this way verses ups or fed ex.

My 2016 lineup includes a new overseed mix and a soil building mix. The soil builder is for first time food plotters and people who have soil that needs work.

12-Oct-15
Congrats Nutritionist! Great to see the growth and success of these plots....and your new business! Many similarities between the two!

Mark

13-Oct-15

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
I have three Grand Ray's plots from seed I purchased from John. I'm new to the food plot game this being my first year of planting. John not only sold me the seed he has been a great resource along the way. My plots look great and I have lots of deer traffic. Now all I have to do is catch a decent buck coming or going.

• Sitka Gear