Ace of Spades 19-Oct-15
cityhunter 19-Oct-15
Ace of Spades 20-Oct-15
Show-Me Greg 20-Oct-15
Show-Me Greg 20-Oct-15
07-Oct-15

Critter 's embedded Photo
Critter 's embedded Photo
Hi my name is Chris Morris I live in Vermontville and track wounded deer and elk and bear so feel free to contact me if you need help locating a downed deer or elk or bear or if u have any questions about tracking I'm willing to travel for a small fee contact me at 517-652- 3763

07-Oct-15
I have had a blood trailing dog since the early 70's. never charged a dime. Forrest

07-Oct-15
Good who are you and are u certified to track in mi

07-Oct-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
best dogs for blood work bloodhound but big powerful hard to control on a leash the hotdog will blood track 2nd best small easy to control on a leash , Rudi found this elk after a 24 hours hi it rained and elk was over a mile from hit site ... Hot dogs rule there is a guy in the midwest that charges i think its about 1000 per recovery But he has the best working dog !

07-Oct-15
That little wirehair sure took a big bite out of that elk!

I'm guessing the bull was still alive and needed finishing so the wirey jumped up and just killed it on the spot.

...at least they think they can do that! :-)

07-Oct-15
Best tracking dogs are the ones that understand the task. I've tracked with a yellow lab and my Blackmouth Cur. Each breed has its potential pitfalls. A buddy of mine has had great success with all of his Drahthaars.

Smaller breeds have several physical advantages that favor spoor tracking, imo. Their stature puts them right on the blood and their small body mass would allow better control of body heat, I imagine. They are also, generally, easier to break/ dissuade from running off game.

If I had a dedicated tracker, it'd look a lot like Rudi. Well, except for the coyote thing. Just as a general rule, I want my dogs large enough to whup a coyote if the need arises.

07-Oct-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
Www.unitedbloodtrackers.org is now a Bowsite sponsor. The person that started this thread is a member from Michigan. The attached link will take you to their "Find a Tracker" tab where you can contact someone near where you live. Good Luck! C

07-Oct-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
I'm getting Sarge in on this ! He is really into the whole blood trailing thing !

07-Oct-15

No, really ! This boar was shot at night and we don't follow up on big hogs in the dark. Sarge found him the next morning after a rain shower about eighty yards away from where he was shot.

07-Oct-15
In NY you are not allowed to charge for tracking dog services. They can bill you for mileage getting to and from the tracking site. They do however except tips. I have the honor of knowing one of the best in the world. I worked with his dog Teddy last year and he was incredible. He tells me that they are not deer tracking dogs, they are blood trailing dogs. Shawn

07-Oct-15
critter, no I am not certified to track in MI. my drahthaar are tested and certified thru VDD. Forrest

08-Oct-15
I'm happy to see UBT is a sponsor here. In my opinion , tracking dogs are the most underutilized tool for located lost game. Thanks for your generous offer Critter. Sadly, many folks don't understand, nor appreciate the sacrifices you make in staying up half the night to help them recover their lost game, not to mention the expenses involved in doing so.. It's absolutely a labor of love! I hope you and your buddy have a successful season ahead of you.

08-Oct-15

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
I went pick up my Dachshund in Canada last December--Celine was just a few months old when I brought her home and put her on her first blood trail-- she did extremely well--hope to give her lots of experience this year--

08-Oct-15
I live in central Nebraska and have a blood trailing drathaar as well. He has already recovered one buck this year after a 2000 yrd track. I would help someone out in need if possible. It is a terrible thing to lose a deer. I felt so bad about losing a deer before that I decided if I was to continue to hunt I must have a dog that can help me.

08-Oct-15
I have had my wirehaired dachshund tracking dog for 10 years. He is still going strong and this year I'll be working with him and his 1.5 year old daughter. Tracking deer with dogs is gratifying but it is hard work. Following a dog on blind trust, often for strangers, on unfamiliar property by flashlight through thickets, creeks, and briar patches is a real workout. There are always doubts when you don't find the animal but the satisfaction and pride in your dog when you do makes it worthwhile. For me its become more important than hunting myself.

08-Oct-15
drycreek, is that a Jack Russel?

I want one of each....good lookin dogs, guys!

RIP, Rudy!

08-Oct-15
The wired haired dachshund are one of the best there is, if not the best. I just cannot justify paying 4500 for one of the tried and true blood lines from Germany. Shawn

08-Oct-15
Best dogs in the world are Norwegian elghunds. Especially the blacks. Bred and trained for countless generations to track on a lead, quiet, and not too big so you don't get yanked when they are on a hot one. Been behind my buddies here in CA a couple of times and it is like driving down a freeway in a Cadillac as easy as those dogs trail blood.

08-Oct-15

shawn i was offered 8000 for Rudi after he showed himself on a impossible track ! i would pay 4500 for a dog but really one dosent have to. I see a lot of good blood lines from other European countries besides Germany

Thanks Nick after Rudi passed away :< i needed another pal ! I found Xavier in Louisiana he is a rescue dog Xavier is showing excellent tracking ability with blood these dogs love to hunt /track they cannot get enough of it . Little xavier was taken in with his brother both had lost all there hair from a flea infestation .All dogs rule!

08-Oct-15
I have a German line GSP. He's not s dedicated tracking dog, I also hunt birds with him. In Germany they breed them for versatility and tracking is part of it. He's got incredible drive. I'm certified in NY and have recovered quite a few deer with him. He'd probably be amazing if I worked him more or started him younger than 5 years old, but he'll smoke a 6 oz, 15 hour old bloodtrail over 2000 yards. Last year a guy gut shot a nice buck and lost the trail. We found the deer 200 yards away in s thick swamp in under 5 minutes. The biggest thing I tell folks is don't go walking around all over the place. I'd rather you just back out and call for the dog. I had 2 guys hunting together about 200 yards apart. The one guy shot a buck, so they said they just backed out and called me. We went in late that night and the dog followed the trail right to the second guys stand. It turns out he got down and walked over to the other guy and looked for blood for a while then went back to his tree. Once he told me that, we went back to where he was looking and picked up the deers trail pretty quickly. Found the deer in 15 minutes

08-Oct-15
skip, you are correct, hunters that have never used a blood trailing dog don't understand that they get blood on their boots, and screw up the track. as far as a breed of dog for tracking, their are good and bad in every breed, mutts included. I want a dog that has a cold nose and takes the track nice and easy. I personally prefer the drahthaars as they are big enough to catch hand hold a mature deer. drahthaars are truly versatile hunting dogs, pointing, retrieving, and blood trailing. but I also like the little guys too, as long as they track blood I like them. Forrest

08-Oct-15

midwest, yes he is a registered " rough coat " JRT. Got him as a pup, and all his litter mates were " smooth coats ". He's a little hard headed, but I wouldn't takes a million bucks for him. He's family.

08-Oct-15
Celine was born in Ca. -- she is a wired hair dachshund-- direct German decent-- there is a litter on the ground now -- not sure how many pups are still available -- PM me if anyone is interested

08-Oct-15
Clutch, good looking dachshund. Forrest

08-Oct-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
City, Dry...those pics just ain't fair.

Not fair at all!

Anybody ever need help getting their garden hose in to their living room, I have the Lab pup that can make it happen. He worked on it every day, for two months before he pulled it off.

09-Oct-15
What about blood tracking spiders and ants? ;)

09-Oct-15
City, I'll probably be in-touch when retirement comes. I could so see myself working a trailing dog, and my wife loves dachshunds, anyway.

Wish there was someone in Kansas with a trained dog I could go watch for an article.

I think I know where there's one that will trail hit hogs in Oklahoma, though.

09-Oct-15
Anyone looking to have their own trackingdog may want to look at a breed called Lacy Dog --- www.lacydog.org

The Lacy is a dog working dog bred to blood trail. I watched them work at an LSBA meeting. Very impressive.

10-Oct-15
I've got 2 wirehaired dachshunds. One from New York and one from PA but from similar tracking bloodlines. Not only are they great at finding deer but they've got great personalities and are incredibly entertaining companions.

10-Oct-15
steve the wire ones are the clowns! great dogs !

11-Oct-15

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Michael- it's funny you should mention that because I just posted a notice on the UBT Facebook page a few weeks back looking for trackers in Kansas. I hope you don't mind that I mentioned your name and said you were a fan of tracking dogs and someone might maybe be able to get you to come along on a track sometime :).

I bet if you got Cade involved in tracking, he wouldn't be so worried about having to build a duck pond in your living room before winter sets in. There are a lot of folks using labs to track., and it's something you can do before retirement...hint hint.

Those of you who track that aren't already members of UBT need to join. It'd the best way to get your name out there for folks who need help.

16-Oct-15

Bushbow's embedded Photo
Bushbow's embedded Photo

16-Oct-15
City, my whole point is I hate to see guys post "I hope to use him a lot this year. Or I hope he gets lots of practice this year. My hope would be I would never get a phone call or have to use one myself. I agree they are a great resource and as I said I have used them twice, one was a welsh Corgi named Ginger who was excellent as well. I am fine with having to call someone with a dog and saving my money for buying birds or another bird dog. Shawn

16-Oct-15
Shawn, Just train your bird dog to track as well. You use a different collar and leash, so the dogs learn to recognize the job at hand. The NY test is easy and given once or twice a year in New Paltz. It's multiple choice!

As far as folks concerned about the dogs running deer, tracking dogs are no more inclined than any other dog and iyou can break them of it just as easily.

17-Oct-15
It looks like Molly's getting some work Bob! Please share the details with us.

17-Oct-15

This was how Xavier was found before he was rescued from Louisiana .

17-Oct-15

It took me 2 weeks before he would let me touch him. this pic is about 5 weeks after he made his way to ny ! Im sure he never seen a blood trail or dead deer .He trailed this deer with interest. only about 200 yrds .

17-Oct-15

Today almost one year since he came to his forever home he is my shadow .Im his best buddy! , His nose is insane all he wants to do is use his nose !

18-Oct-15

cityhunter's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
cityhunter's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

18-Oct-15
I had a Wire hair dachshund years ago. Never had him on a trail, but wish I would have. He was a big standard with german bloodlines from Humphries, MO. Might get another someday.

18-Oct-15
bryan what made u get a wire not common in the states

19-Oct-15

Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
I got Duke a couple months ago, I hope to put him on some blood trails this fall. The whole time on walks he's all nose. He was a rescue dog I got here in upstate NY, interestingly enough his rabies tag was issued out of Alabama.

Josh

19-Oct-15
Josh lots of good dogs come from the southern parts , Great deal on the rescue !!!

20-Oct-15
I got Duke a couple months ago, I hope to put him on some blood trails this fall. The whole time on walks he's all nose.

Josh

20-Oct-15

Show-Me Greg's embedded Photo
This is Sam, our Catahoula. Here he is as a 3 year old. Sometimes it is tough to "trust" his nose and let him lead, but he hasn't been wrong yet.

20-Oct-15

This is Sam, our Catahoula. Here he is as a 3 year old. Sometimes it is tough to "trust" his nose and let him lead, but he hasn't been wrong yet.

• Sitka Gear