T Mac 07-Oct-15
Bow junkie 07-Oct-15
Phil/VA 11-Oct-15
Bou'bound 11-Oct-15
Phil/VA 11-Oct-15
Bow junkie 11-Oct-15
Phil/VA 11-Oct-15
07-Oct-15
Recent events have convinced me that I might as well go ahead and plan a black bear hunt. So far, the only things I have decided on, is that it will be in Maine and will be with a longbow. Now, before you go telling me there are better places (i.e. Canada), let me explain my reasons. As a kid (over half a century ago) I read lots and lots about the great North Woods, and the Maine guides. Finally, 2 years ago, my wife and I made our first trip to New England and absolutely loved Maine, the Great North Woods mystique was still there. Maybe it's an attempt to recapture childhood dreams but I have definitely decided my first black bear hunt will be in Maine. I have come close to getting shots at black bear, but that was on deer hunts down in NC, and in Alaska on caribou hunts. Any input/recommendations will be appreciated.

07-Oct-15
For a rustic, remote North Woods experience I would recommend looking into Turnpike Ridge Outfitters. Don Helstrom is the outfitter.

07-Oct-15

Bow junkie's embedded Photo
Bow junkie's embedded Photo
Big booms northern maine adventures !!!!!!!!!! If you're not completely thrilled with everything about his operation I'll see to it your hunts free. The guy is the nicest most fun loving person you'll ever meet and knows more about the allagash than anyone I've ever seen, and I've been hunting in maine for 20 years. I'm not the type to speak for someone unless I'm confident and I promise you he's your guy.pm me if u want his info

11-Oct-15
Anybody else have recommendations on an outfitter.

11-Oct-15
You limited it to a place most people don't go since there is no spring season. That is why the feedback is so poor. If you open up your options to more and better places you will get more and better input

11-Oct-15
I know that I've limited myself, but I want to do this in Maine.

11-Oct-15
Phil even if u don't go with my recommendation there are lots of places to go and all great hunting as long as you go somewhere near allagash wilderness. Bou is right , there's no spring season and in the fall it's rare to see more than a couple bears in a day but unless you're talking about Alaska, b.c. Or sask there's always better out there. Sounds to me that you're not looking for the best place in North America but looking for the best place in maine and I respect that. Maine is gorgeous and def holds its own with bear population . I've been 7 times and shot 6 and the year I didn't wasn't because I didn't have an opportunity . My suggestion stands but foggy mountain, allagash wilderness camps, matagamon, and riverside all seem to offer a quality hunt. The thing that sets boomer apart is his work ethic and determination to make sure everyone has a blast and has plenty of opportunities at a blackie

11-Oct-15
Bow junkie, thanks. You're absolutely right, I'm looking for the best place I can find in Maine. If it was just about the bear I would most assuredly look to Canada or possibly Prince of Wales Island in Alaska.

• Sitka Gear