IdyllwildArcher 15-Oct-15
cottonwood 19-Oct-15
SteveB 19-Oct-15
Deacon Dave 20-Oct-15
buc i 313 20-Oct-15
07-Oct-15

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
I decided early in the application process that I needed to get a good mule deer this year. To start off I decided to put in for a general unit in Utah that I had hunted in the past. With work and Military obligations I would have the opening week to hunt which is perfect for velvet mulies.

07-Oct-15

I was able to get out the day before season opened and scout around a bit. Really amazing places for how close it is to the city! I didn't find many deer, but saw a lot of people enjoying the outdoors. I would be able to hunt a few hours in the morning and a couple in the evening each day. Nice to have the long summer days, but also nice to be productive in the "down time" during the middle of the day.

07-Oct-15

It had been close to 15yrs since I had hunted some of these areas for deer. There seemed to be more hunters and people everywhere. With this being a 0 pt general tag I wasn't going to be too picky, so I set a goal of a 3pt or better. I feel that I have had bad luck over the years with big deer so I have learned to appreciate the animals I do get.

The evening before opening I found a herd of elk, and was wishing I had bought an OTC cow/spike tag! Actually not since elk have distracted me many times from chasing mule deer, and this was to be my year for deer! So I turned away from the elk and finally found some decent P&Y bucks a few thousand vertical feet above.

They were in Mt. Goat terrain! I decided that I didn't have enough time that weekend to bivy up and chase them and I still had a couple other spots to check. I would keep them as a backup since not many would be crazy enough to go after them.

07-Oct-15

The next two days were tough. I went to an spot that was me first "Honey Hole". there has been development in the area over the last decade like always, and with life moving me across the country and a growing family have just stopped hunting there.

I did see a doe in the area, and the second time I glassed it a small 2pt buck. However I also ran into other hunters for there for the first time! Secret Spots don't stay secret forever.

Every old spot I went to seemed to have more pressure, camps set up, traffic, and just people. I knew I had to be patient.

Finally the 5th morning I went back to my old "honey hole" and right at first light glassed a weird 2x3. I figured I would go chase him and see what happened. it would take about 20 minutes from my glassing point to get ahead of where the buck would be. I quickly got my gear and headed out.

I got on the trail that leads to a flat that I couldn't glass from the vantage. As I got close to the open field I couldn't believe my eyes! I had finally found a good buck! The only problem was 200 yds of open field and that I had to report to work in an hour!

09-Oct-15
Good start! Great pics! More?

12-Oct-15
I knew I had to play this safe, so I sat back and tried to figure out where they were headed. I lost them when they hit a brush line and had to leave.

I went back in the evening to glass but never saw them. The next moring I was above were I thought they would go. I saw the buck come out into the flat below. However they disappeared only 150 yds below me and never showed up. Amazing how big bucks do that.

The third morning I decided to set up closer to where I thought they would be. The deer came in before shooting light this morning. That was one of my fears that the pattern would change and they would leave the public area before I could shoot.

How ever a more common fail occurred: I could tell there were a couple deer about 60 yds below me. It was 10 minute before shooting light. I got anxious to see if the big buck was there. As I adjusted to look over the bush in front of me I was busted by a doe 10yds from me! I didn't know she was there!

The deer moved off and I knew I blew it. The wind was bad that morning as well and it was a risky set up. 30 min later I see the rest of the deer herd move up about 100 yds away but not the big buck so I assume it was in the first group.

12-Oct-15
The fourth morning I got to the spot early, over an hour before legal light. I wanted to make sure I was there in case they moved up even earlier than the day before. I knew I had to play the wind better and was going to set up way downwind. If they came past out of range at least I would have the wind in my favor for the stalk.

Shooting light came with no deer. I then heard a sound downwind and there was a 3 pt buck. I thought dang it, maybe they snuck past me lower down. I waited some more with no deer. It was now an hour later than when they came the day before. Unfortunately patience is not one of my virtues, so I wanted to go check down where I saw the 3pt buck go.

Nothing. This was the last day I had to hunt there before going home for a week. I was already planning the trip back as I headed back to the flat.

12-Oct-15
I think your hunt sounded great. And, I was rooting for you harder than you'll ever know. However, if you deer hunt as slow as you tell a story, I know the outcome already.

It's your story, tell it like you want. But, five days for 6 posts makes it a bit different than the anticipation you are trying to create. It creates boredom and instills the, "Oh well" feeling instead. So, in not so kind of words: Get on with it if you expect anyone to finish reading it!

12-Oct-15

As I came around a bush I couldn't believe it. The whole herd of deer had moved into the flat! Not only that, but the big buck was closet to me with the wind in my favor!

He was heading straight to my ambush sight I had left only 10 minutes earlier. I decided to be slightly aggressive in the situation. Luckily there was an old trail that lead straight to the buck with a few big bushes. I was able to quickly close the gap to the last bush.

The big buck and his sidekick a wide 3x4 were right in front of me feeding. A small buck had joined them and was moving towards me. This is were all my practice shooting paid off. He was the exact same distance from my back porch to my target that I had shot at every day for the past 3 months, 65yds. With no cover between me and the buck I knew I had to take the shot.

12-Oct-15
Yes, and sorry for the slow story but I do work and church and family and I just got back from a 2 state CO/WY antelope hunt with my son! So I will have to finish tomorrow!

13-Oct-15

The shot felt great and I knew it was a fatal hit. 15yrs earlier as a brand new bowhunter, in this same spot I had made a bad shot on a big 29" wide 4x4. That buck ended up dying on the bordering private and I was not able to recover it. The owners turned it over to the state to discourage hunters near their property.

Over the last 15 yrs I have struggled to close the deal on the few big bucks I have hunted. I have gained plenty of experience on small bucks though but couldn't get a P&Y buck down.

That was over now!

13-Oct-15
The buck did not go far. There was a massive blood trail as the arrow had passed through the heart.

I was actually using a new broadhead this hunt since a friend had given me a 3 pack to test. It was a Rage Hypodermic. Now, I do not advocate mechs on elk, but I thought for deer my set up would be ok, especially on long shots. I am shooting a Hoyt Spyder Turbo set at 69# with 30" draw. the arrow is an Easton Axis 300 with a 50gr brass HIT, 125gr BH, removed factory wrap with blazers cut about 28.5" for a total arrow weight at 500gr.

I did not like how the shock collar worked on the Rage. Multiple times as I would stalk along I noticed the blades would rattle, with a slight wiggle. I would like them to be tight and quiet. The worse though was if the broadhead would catch on a blade of grass or small twig as I was sneaking it would pop open! Not good for a stalking situation where I would have to unscrew the head and secure it back. In a tree stand or blind it wouldn't be much of a problem.

13-Oct-15

The buck was everything I could hope for with beautiful velvet and deep forks.

13-Oct-15
That is a stud buck, congrats on your perseverance paying off.

13-Oct-15
that's a beauty , and beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

13-Oct-15
Great buck! Congrats and thanks for the story!

13-Oct-15
That's a great buck, and an awesome read as well! Congrats!

14-Oct-15
"That buck ended up dying on the bordering private and I was not able to recover it. The owners turned it over to the state to discourage hunters near their property." That is a real bummer. I think here in Oregon I would contact the Sate Police or ODFW and they can accompany you or meet with the land owner to allow you to recover your animal if it travels onto and dies on private land. Sad you lost it due it going onto private land. That is a good buck no doubt. Congratulations.

14-Oct-15
Beautiful buck!!!

14-Oct-15
Thank you for sharing the story n pics. Super nice buck!

14-Oct-15
Awesome buck! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

14-Oct-15
Great buck! Congratulations!

14-Oct-15

RJ Hunt: The Landowner has a policy to discourage hunters near their property. They have an ATV patrol the fenceline EVERY day. My friend had run into them the day before with unkind words exchanged. I know it was my fault for making a bad shot, but it was my second year hunting and I had a lot to learn. That was the first deer I had ever shot with a bow.

I did contact the Department and they said there was nothing I could do. I was able to see the rack and got this quick picture. Its been a long 15 yrs but I finally feel like I now have a little redemption.

14-Oct-15
Congrats on a great deer!

Out west, being patient and then aggressive has paid off with some big dividends!

Great buck!

Mark

14-Oct-15
Great buck!!! Yeah the issue with the landowner wouldn't fly in Oregon as long as you can prove that you didn't shoot the deer on there private property you would have been able to retrieve the animal or the landowner could be fined for waste of a game animal.

14-Oct-15

A couple weeks later my friend who had given me the broadheads also was able to connect on this buck with great character. He had started to go down hill last year but with the great moisture this year finished of better.

Its 35" wide and has great mass! (he has also killed a bigger buck with his bow, a 238" monster a couple years ago)

14-Oct-15

Then a week later another friend tagged out on this cool buck that is 30" wide. (He also has a bigger bow kill buck than this)

I am lucky to know some great mule deer hunters and hope to be able to continue the success. It has turned out to be a Good year for Deer

15-Oct-15
That is really a shame about your first mule deer and the private land issue. Hard to believe they did not get in trouble for not letting you recover your animal. I would think even Utah would have that rule on the books that if you shoot an animal legally, you have the right to recover it if it crosses onto property you do not have permission to hunt.

Great bucks your buddies got this year! Congratulations to them as well!

15-Oct-15
Wow, some incredible bucks. Grats to you on your deer.

19-Oct-15
Very nice!

19-Oct-15
Wow some amazing bucks. Congratulations and way to stick with it!

20-Oct-15
Congratulations on a great buck! Thanks for sharing.

20-Oct-15
Great hunt

Great story

Great deer

Great perseverance

Great pics

Congratulations on a job well done to you and your friend

• Sitka Gear