Barty1970 09-Nov-15
uteangler 10-Nov-15
Nick Muche 10-Nov-15
Mark Watkins 10-Nov-15
Nick Muche 11-Nov-15
08-Oct-15

kota-man's embedded Photo
The first part of July I received a broadcast email from Bowhunting Safari Consultants with some discounted fall hunts. One of the hunts that "peaked" my interest was an October peak of the rut archery hunt for Shiras moose in BC.

After making a few reference calls, I called Mark at BSC and told him I'd take the hunt. The hunt would take place near Cherryville, BC with Sugar Valley Outfitters. (Scott Mackenzie) Since Scott also has a Northern BC hunt area he was busy with, my guide for this hunt would be his brother Sean.

The camp is a very nice cabin on the banks of a stream on Scott's property. I was the only hunter in camp, so I had the place to myself. The setting was breathtaking.

08-Oct-15

08-Oct-15

Each morning we would have breakfast at 4 am and then make the hour or so drive to the hunt area. We would call for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. The weather for this hunt was more conducive to beach going rather than hunting. Temps near 75 degrees in the afternoons had everything buckled down tight in the timber. Afternoons were spent scounting, lounging and looking for sign. I would venture to guess that in the right conditions, one could call all day normally on this hunt, but that would not be the case on this hunt.

08-Oct-15
Cory - Are these moose consider to be Canadians or Shiras by P&Y? Looking forward to the report.

08-Oct-15
The first 3.5 days we could not get so much as a response from a moose. We did have some excitement on day 3 as we were stalked by a grizzly bear while having lunch. I was sitting on the ground with my back to a fallen log. Sean was sitting across from me on a stump. All of a sudden his eyes got as big as saucers. I thought a moose had snuck in on us as we had just completed a calling set prior to digging out lunch. As I slowly reached for my bow, he muttered "grizzly". I stood and turned to see a massive silver tipped bear at 25 yards and closing at a brisk walk. We both yelled and the bear stopped and stood on his hind legs at 20 yards. He slowly dropped down to all fours and began posturing with the hair standing straight up on his back. As he got about 20 yards to our right he decided he didn't want any part of the 300 wsm the guide was holding and ambled off into the tall grass. We were about 3 miles from the truck up an old, delisted logging trail. As it turned out that bear came out of the bush right at our truck and walked in our tracks for 3 miles until he reached us while having lunch. He even followed our tracks in and out of the bush while we made our call sets! Talk about erry. It was so foggy that day you could only see about 50 yards. Who knows how far he trailed behind us. I about puke everytime I think about it. That was our excitement for not only the day but the trip as well. (for now:))

This is the spot the picture the bear would've been had I had all my faculties about me during the encounter. Unfortunatley, my camera remained in my pocket through the whole encounter.

08-Oct-15
Tom it is my understanding that for P&Y they are Canadian moose unless you want to have them DNA tested. In order to enter these in P&Y you'd have to have them tested. If someone "in the know" can fill us in here, please do so. The hunt is sold as a "Shiras" hunt by BSC.

With that said, everyone up there calls them Shiras and Super Slam considers them Shiras. I doubt the moose know about the US/Canada border that seperates the two species in this area. :)

08-Oct-15
We were seeing fresh moose sign every day, but this weather had them on "lockdown" during daylight hours. The morning of day 4 we decided to explore some new area. We had done roughly 20 calling sets, mostly in the high country, the first 3 1/2 days. Due to the moose and wolf traffic down low, most game movement appeared to be up high. We made a couple sets the morning of day 4 to no avail.

For the evening hunt, Sean decided to focus on an "out of the way" high country meadow they have had some previous success in.

We parked along a high mountain road and made the 1/2 mile walk straight down a steep hill to the meadow below. Sean joked that we'd have no competition here as nobody is crazy enough to pack a moose out of this meadow. We made it through some crazy, thick deadfall to the meadow. It looked like an ideal spot for our 21st calling sequence of the trip. At the request of the outfitter, I will not be putting up a ton of scenery pictures. They need to protect their areas and I don't blame them.

08-Oct-15
I saw more shiras in wy then elk this sept! I even got charged by a bull when i turned my back ! he then hit my hood with his antler putting a dent in the hood. I deserved it i was giving him love notes with no action . Moose sure are big and can run fast is what i learned i wont be calling to them unless i have a tag !

08-Oct-15

We usually called from anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes per set. At about the 30 minute mark from this 21st set, I started to hear a faint "glunk" sound in the distant. At first I thought it was a rough grouse or maybe even some kind of frog but didn't think rough grouse "thumped" in the fall. The sound over the course of a couple minutes seemed to be getting closer. I turned and looked at Sean who was about 15 yards behind me and he held his finger to his ear as if to say "listen". A few minutes later the "glunk" was increasing in volume and when I looked back at Sean for the second time he gave me the "thumbs up". FINALLY, after 3.5 days of calling, a response from a bull moose. He was still a LONG ways away but the game was on.

Here was my position in a low dug out along the tree line watching across the meadow.

08-Oct-15
Any moose north or the border is classified as a Canadian moose for B&C or P&Y. However, you can have them DNA tested, as Kota said, to challenge the species classification. Which I would highly recommend. The latest published study is confirming a significant number of moose taken in southern BC as shiras.

Not wanting to distract from Kota's great adventure, please continue. I am craving more moose action!

08-Oct-15
Thank you Zack! My boring commentary isn't getting much "traction", so let's get on with this:

All of a sudden, he appeared almost 200 yards across the meadow. The bull stopped to look around the meadow to see if he could locate the lovesick cow. He almost seemed confused there was no cow in the meadow. From the second he stepped out of the bush and into the meadow, I instantly knew he was a shooter. The bull was swinging his head from side to side and grunting like crazy. Sean gave a couple more grunts and the bull was on a beeline directly at me. I tried to make my 6'2 - 235 lb. frame small by hiding behind my riser, but the bull seemed to be burning a hole right through me as he walked towards me.

08-Oct-15
I had ranged a lone tree in the meadow as my marker at 30 yards. It was the only object between me and the other side of the meadow. Before I knew it the bull was standing next to the tree facing me straight on grunting so loud my insides vibrated with each grunt. At this point I was trying to guess which way the bull would go to locate this invisible cow some 15 yards behind me and HOPED he didn't decide to go straight ahead over the top of me.

In addition, I wasn't sure how I was even going to get my bow drawn on this beast.

08-Oct-15
Keep it coming Cory!

And nice bow! Glad to see you made an upgrade since this spring. :)

08-Oct-15

The bull decided to make his move down wind to my left. My only chance to draw would be while he shook his head grunting. At 18 yards he was quartering towards me and closing fast. I thought it was now or never. I drew my Hoyt Nitrum Turbo and as soon as I hit full draw, the bull stopped. He had me pegged.

I picked a spot "in the pocket" just behind his massive front shoulder and told myself "stay away from that shoulder bone".

The arrow was on its way in what seemed like slow motion. I saw the fletching disappear right in the pocket behind his shoulder. As the bull turned and ran off, I could see the arrow dangling from just ahead of his off hip. The arrow had passed almost lengthwise through the bull. I turned and gave the "thumbs up" to Sean, and he immediately let out a call. I turned back around to see the bull stumble and go down. He didn't go 50 yards and died in the middle of the meadow. Sean jumped on me and after a few high fives we walked out to have a look at the bull. He was even bigger than we thought. I could tell by Sean's reaction, this was a great bull for the area. Nice long points, great paddles and almost 50 inches wide.

08-Oct-15
6'2", 235, but solid, right Cory?

08-Oct-15
as a rock...a soft rock.

08-Oct-15
Congrats Cory! Great bull. I love those long points on the left antler.

08-Oct-15
He had a big chunk of his paddle and two long points broken off the right side, and one point on his left side broken from fighting. Had he been in tact, he'd score like crazy. (as a Shiras) None the less, I'm thrilled the bull.

08-Oct-15
AWESOME CORY!!! CONGRATS!

08-Oct-15

Here's a picture of the broken side...You don't just move these things around for pictures like you do most animals. You pretty much work with where they lay! :0

I looked at my watch and it was 5:20 pm. We had a ton of work ahead of us but took the time for a few pictures before "digging in". I kept looking up the mountain wondering how in the world we were going to get a moose up to the road from the meadow. On the upside, it was a fairly short trip. (about a 1/2 mile) On the downside, most of it was straight uphill, through nasty deadfall. We decided we needed to cape and quarter the bull and make one trip out this evening as this meadow was frequented by grizzly bears and wolves and we didn't want to be packing meat in the dark. We would return in the morning for the rest. We stashed the head, cape and my bow in some deadfall quite a ways from the carcass. We drug the 4 quarters as far away from the carcass as we could and hauled out the backstraps, neck meat and rest of our gear in our daypacks. Hopefully if Mr. Grizz discovered the kill, he'd be content with the carcass until morning.

08-Oct-15
Fantastic! Moose are just so darn big you can't help but be awed in their presence:)

08-Oct-15
Oh man, I've been where you were so many times. (Moose coming to the call). It's the best isn't it!

08-Oct-15
Congratulations Cory! Great story and what an outcome. Will it be a Shiras?

08-Oct-15
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

08-Oct-15
nice,,,,love Moose,,,and moose meat! real nice bull Sir

08-Oct-15

Sean has a good friend he calls when he needs a hand packing. After a short night of sleep, Sean, his friend and myself were headed back to the meadow to recover the rest of our moose. Sean led the way with a chain saw hacking a path through the dead fall to the meadow. Upon arriving at the meadow, we were amazed to find that the moose made it through the night untouched. After several trips, and several hours, the moose was loaded into the vehicle. I don't think I could've made one more trip up that hill. My last trip was pushing 100 lbs. and my legs and hips were quivering by the time we hit the road. Having just done a sheep hunt was great preparation for this pack out.

We spent the next day cutting up moose. The amount of meat yielded from an adult bull moose never ceases to amaze me. Here's a shot of just the front shoulders and neck meat alone!

08-Oct-15
Sugar Valley is a great place, isn't it? I've hunted with Scott and Jodi 4 times now and Sean guided my girlfriend on a black bear hunt there this spring. You couldn't find better people to hunt with than the Mackenzies.

08-Oct-15
Nice bull! Congratulations Cory!

08-Oct-15
I don't think this will be my last hunt with Sugar Valley.

Though our hunt was tough as far as moose sightings go, Sugar Valley Outfitters has a great area and runs an incredible hunt. If you are looking for an archery Shiras hunt these guys should be at the top of the list. Their success rate remains at or near 100% on these archery rut moose hunts. Sean Mackenzie worked his tail off to get me an opportunity at a moose. He is easily one of the most accomodating guides I've ever had the pleasure to hunt with in camp and in the field. The calling sequence that led to taking this moose is definately one of my most memorable hunting situations to date. I mean I get pretty excited when I call in a coyote, but a 1000 lb. moose is a whole different program!

08-Oct-15
AS soon as I can sort out some "thoughts", I will put togehter a little mini "gear" review for the gear I used on this hunt...stay tuned.

08-Oct-15
Not boring at all!!! Keep it coming...

08-Oct-15
Man, that is so cool!

Nice work, Congrats!

Best Wishes, Jeff

08-Oct-15
Bad Ass! Way to go kota!

08-Oct-15
gear for moose !!! wear a black trash bag !

08-Oct-15
Congrats again, Cory. Awesome!

08-Oct-15
"Thank you Zack! My boring commentary isn't getting much "traction", so let's get on with this:"

Ha!! Boring? I knew this was going to be good! Congratulations! Great warrior bull!

"Sean has a good friend he calls when he needs a hand packing."

I don't think it'll do any good to call casual friends to pack a moose up a mountain through deadfall.

08-Oct-15
great job Cory!

08-Oct-15
Congrats on the moose. Hunt

08-Oct-15
Great moose, Cory! Lotta meat to pack out on those critters.

I helped a great 64 year old trad couple this year who each had Shiras cow tags. When scouting this summer, I explained to them that they wanted to A) shoot them near a road or ATV trail, and B) NOT shoot them in a swamp or pond.

Thankfully they obliged on both requirements! When the first one hit the ground and they walked up to it, they understood the reason for my guidance....

08-Oct-15
Awesome! Looks like a great time! Great bull!

08-Oct-15
Big congrats on the bullwinkle kota-man!

08-Oct-15
Cory,

How big were your coolers and how many did it take to put the whole animal in them?

I have two large coolers but I have been thinking about getting a third one.

08-Oct-15
Congrats again Cory! Awesome bull!

08-Oct-15
Great job, congrats!

DJ

08-Oct-15
Bighorn...Two large coolers would never hold it all. I donated most of my meat to my guides family, but will tell you, two,large coolers will not fit an adult bull moose.

08-Oct-15
That is awesome! Congratulations!!!!!

:)

08-Oct-15
Very nice ! Congrats to you Sir.

08-Oct-15
Congrats Cory! Funny how hunts can turn in an instant!!

08-Oct-15
Congrats Cory!!!!!! Awesome bull!!! Badass!!!

08-Oct-15
Congrats on a fine bull!!

08-Oct-15
Congratulations Cory!

09-Oct-15
Congrats on a great bull. What is the closest town to where you hunted (and what direction)? I have done 2 similar hunts north of Sparwood, right on the BC/Alberta border. Phenomenally beautiful country.

IME, it takes 2 150 quart coolers to hold a shiras (bone in, or mostly in - can't close the lid without "adjusting" the leg bones). We have gotten between 300-350 lb. of cut/wrapped from ours.

09-Oct-15
Heck Yeah!!!!!! Congrats man and God Bless

09-Oct-15
Nice, looks like fun!

09-Oct-15
double post

09-Oct-15
Best wishes Cory!!!! That's awesome!

09-Oct-15
Stalked by the grizz or killing a big old moose that's a trip to remember great job!

09-Oct-15
That was a great hunt. Thanks.

09-Oct-15
Matt...I was a ways West of Sparwood. I flew in to Kelowna and drove about an hour and a half SE to Cherryville. I can't imagine this thing fitting in two 150 Qt. coolers...but I guess I never tried either.

09-Oct-15
That is great

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

09-Oct-15
Congratulations. NIce bull! Thanks for the write up.

09-Oct-15
Cool....congrats!

09-Oct-15
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great hunt, until the pack out.

09-Oct-15
Please do the DNA test! I think it's $100 bucks and it will make for an interesting thread! Good luck!

09-Oct-15
Who does DNA testing that is accepted by P&Y?

09-Oct-15
Well done! Thanks for sharing

09-Oct-15
Congrats Cory! Glad to see your hunting fortunes have turned for the good.

09-Oct-15
Great story and adventure. Love the moose hunts.

To answer the question of if grouse thump in the fall, yes they do when they hit ground after a charge of #8's catches up with them.

09-Oct-15
Wow, what a great bull and a cool story.

Im glad everything turned out alright with the Grizzly. I cant imagine how I would have felt finding out after that fact that he had been stalking us. From that point on I would have been looking behind me every few yards and not concentrated on the hunt at hand. You got nerves of steel! Way to get it done.

09-Oct-15
Charlie...If a huge chunk of his paddle and two longest points on his right side weren't broken off, I'd probably do the test and have him scored.

I don't think he'll score real well and I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with calling him a Shiras whether a DNA test says so or not. So for now, I will probably forego the scoring and the test. If I change my mind when he shows up at my house, I will post the results here.

09-Oct-15
Congrats Cory! Great story as usual! Looking forward to the gear recap. Many thanks!

09-Oct-15
PM sent.

09-Oct-15
Ok...Charlie set me straight on scoring a moose. For some reason I thought the length of points came in to play, but it really doesn't have much affect on score. He'll probably score better than I thought. ;)

Gear recap coming...

09-Oct-15
Congrats on another great hunt.

09-Oct-15
A huge congrats Cory on "another trip of a lifetime!"

I think our wives are starting to catch on to our verbiage! Ha! Cant fool them for long!

Stalked by a grizzly for 3 miles AND shooting a 50" moose at 30 yards with nothing separating you but swamp grass......adrenal overload!!!...all in 5 days!

For what it is worth....my vote would be to have him both scored and DNA tested!

Congrats again and bring on the gear review!

Mark

09-Oct-15
I like Mad Trappers verbage a little better. A gear "recap" will be coming after lunch.

Mark...My wife gave up trying keep track of my adventures long ago. Now, she just asks "when" and "where" and for how long.

Like I told Charlie, when the moose "comes home", I will get him scored and take it from there.

09-Oct-15
Gear recap:

I shot a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo on this hunt. 29@62 lbs casting a 467 grain Easton FMJ Carbon Injexion 289 fps. The arrow was footed with a VPA CTR Punch Line footing for strength, tipped with a vented 100 grain VPA 3 blade broadhead. I'm still not sold on the Turbo as the draw is AGGRESSIVE even on the 60 lber. and I don't really enjoy shooting the bow. It may go down the road but for this hunt the combination provided great speed and KE. After some initial concerns the revamped arrow (see Carbon INjexion thread) arrow did it's job. Not sold on the Skinny Carbon D6 combo at this time either. However, after passing through a moose almost lengthwise, the arrow and broadhead spin and look like new. Jury is still out on this whole set up.

I took two packs on this trip. A Sitka Flash 20 daypack and a Mystery Ranch Marshall load hauler. I'm a big fan of Sitka daypacks. They are light, fairly comfortable, very functional and will get your first load out with no problem. The MR Marshall is a workhorse that will haul a volkswagon if you need to. MR packs are bombproof but a little on the heavy side. They will never replace my beloved Kifaru Mountain Warrior but it did the job on this hunt.

My boots on this hunt were a bit "overkill". I wore Lowa Hunter Extremes. They were a bit warm for these warm weather conditions, but worked great in the wetlands, bog, deadfall and climbing through clear cuts. Lowa continues to be my boot of choice as most models fit like they were designed for my foot. As a sidenote, prior to flying out a picked up a pair of Under Armour "Fat Tires" to use as a casual hiking boot and they are by far the most comfortable set of footwear to ever grace my feet. Check them out the next time you get a chance. I couldn't not buy them once I tried them on.

My clothing for this hunt was the Sitka Gear EV2 whitetail line of clothing. I LIVED in the Fanatic Lite Hoodie on this hunt. In fact, I hardly took it off. What a great versatile piece of clothing. For pants I wore the STratus pants on two cooler mornings, the Equinox pants on a warmer morning and for the pack out, and the Downpour pants on the rainy, wet foggy day we encountered. Though I was impressed with all three pairs of pants, the Downpour set really impressed me the most. Fairly quiet for rain gear, fairly breathable and they kept me dry and comfortable all day. Though not the most packable rain gear around, this set is quiet and keeps you dry.

I wore the Fanatic Lite Jacket and STratus Jacket while glassing a couple cool mornings. Both appear to be well though out, great bowhunting jackets, however, there was not much need for a jacket on this hunt.

For baselayers, I wore the new Sitka Pyrolene odor free pieces and like on my sheep hunt they performed as advertised. I'm a big fan of pyrolene and find myself wearing less and less merino wool.

I can't end this thread without mentioning the horrific news I received while on this hunt. I was shocked to hear the passing of friend and my brown bear guide Roy Roth. I spent 8 days with Roy chasing Brown Bears on the Alaska Range and we remained in touch. Roy was a true predator with a bow and arrow, and one of the best guides I've had the pleasure of hunting with. Roy lived every day like it was his last and went all out at everything he did. A horrible reminder that what we do does have danger, life is precious and we never know what tomorrow will bring. RIP Roy Roth.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. If you haven't done so already, go to Roy Roth's "Go Fund Me" page and make a small donation to the family. Thanks again...

09-Oct-15
Congrats Cory!

09-Oct-15
Shiras Moose P&Y Minimum is 125. The major measurements are Greatest Spread, number of points (point counts as 1 inch regardless of length), length of Palm, width of Palm and Circumference of Beam at smallest part.

A broken point will not result in a deduction or be offset by the other side as in most antlered deer. I think it will make 125 and quite possible 135 which is the Canadian Moose Minimim.

Having the DNA tested would be a great learning experience for us as to procedures and results. C

09-Oct-15
Roughing it out in my mind it is well over 125 ...Probably closer to 145 I'm guessing. Like I said, I will get it officially scored, then, take it from there. Thanks for the assistance C.

09-Oct-15
Thanks for sharing Cory, great bull, great adventure and great write up!

09-Oct-15
Cory,

Super adventure and for the equipment review. One thing I enjoy about you is you are straight forward and tell it like it is. I think this will go do as one of your most fun hunts and really treasure the way the hunt played out and the results.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along.

Another great testimony of the quality that BSC provides to bowhunters complete with a "cherry on top - discounted."

Buff

09-Oct-15
Thanks Greg. I was thinking about this hunt today and agree. From a pure adrenalin, situational side of this hunt, it is a tough one to beat.

09-Oct-15
Great Hunt Cory! Congratulations! what a sweet bull!

10-Oct-15
Cory, Congrats on the great bull! Nice job, and grizzlies do add to the excitement up here! Glad the beefed up footed arrow with D6 components worked well.

I too was guided by Roy Roth for browns (2015) and was saddened by his death when I heard about it yesterday. However he packed more into his 20 or so years of Alaska bowhunting adventures than most would in several lifetimes, Blacktail Bob excluded.

11-Oct-15
Congrats on an excellent adventure and fine trophy moose.

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

11-Oct-15
in your opinion, by yourself .... would you have been in serious trouble with that grizzly ? sounds like he was intent on human flesh .... good gawd !!

great story

11-Oct-15
Put it this way: It would not have been a comfortable position at all without a firearm. Also, if the guide would not have looked up and seen him, he would've walked in on top of me in seconds. I think we were very fortunate. I've been around a ton of grizzly's and this one definately scared me the most.

11-Oct-15
Where you carrying pepper spray? The guide I've hunted moose with in SE BC insists I do and provides it to me.

11-Oct-15
No pepper spray. Might not've been a bad idea though. I've carried a Glock 20 when in the US in Grizz country but, of course, that is not an option North of the border.

12-Oct-15
Congrats kota-man!! I hope that you will consider testing it to prove Shiras. Way to go!

12-Oct-15
You've had another great hunt Corey! Good deal buddy.

Congrats

12-Oct-15
Congrats Cory! Nothing like being in fear of a grizzly eating you to spice up the trip! Mike

12-Oct-15
Cory, Surely a moose hunt is on my bucket list but your story filled in the time, until that happens. Good story.

So glad to hear the downed moose survived the night as I bet you had your fingers crossed until you arrived at the site.

My best, Paul

13-Oct-15
Thanks again guys...Yes, Paul, IMO it was nothing short of a miracle that everything was intact. The moose and wolf sign was horrendous in the area. In fact we found a dead wolf not far from where I shot the moose. Kind of odd: The wolf was under a spruce tree laying their dead. It was fairly fresh and had not sign of sickness. Maybe died from fighting? None the less, I never mind standing over a dead wolf no matter the cause of death.

13-Oct-15
Congratulations, great looking bull!

13-Oct-15
Cory Congrats, wow what a great time that had to be. I'm curious if you would mind sharing the cost of the discounted hunt? PM would be fine if that made you more comfortable. Thanks for the story.

14-Oct-15
A "correction" to the DNA testing procedures above. Zackman made a call to P&Y and there are currently no formal procedures for accepting a DNA tested Shiras moose to the record book. B&C has come up with some procedures and it is my understanding that P&Y might be working on coming up with something in the near future.

So, as far as P&Y is concerned for now, this is a Canadian Moose whether I get it tested or not. Super Slam considers it a Shiras without testing and B&C would allow it to be tested to determine whether it is a Shiras or Canadian. Crazy...

I'm going to consider it a Shiras Moose and call it "good"...

14-Oct-15
Congrats Cory on your great Shiras moose! incredible hunt, story and bull!

Super slam, here you come!!!

Mark

23-Oct-15
Corey what can you tell me about Sitka's new base layers? I wore Kuiu's merino base layers on a caribou hunt recently. They were warm, but I was unimpressed on their ability to dry quickly. We were in a cabin with a woodstove and while all of my other Kuiu and Sitka layers dried quickly, the merino did not. A couple of days I had to put on damp layers. I like the antibacterial properties of merino, but I need layers that will dry reasonably fast. What say you?

23-Oct-15
Mad Trapper, Not Corey, but I'm with you on slow drying in damp weather with merino. I actually prefer a merino blended with poly.....Paradox zip neck long sleeve tees ($19 in Canada) sold by Costco when I am hunting in damp conditions versus my KUIU merino tops. The Paradox stuff hold the funk down for 5 days or so when sheep hunting and really dry fast. Gray or black is the only color available around here, no camo, but they aren't the outer layer anyway. Last year on a wet November Roosevelt elk hunt on the coast I put the KUIU up and wore the Paradox the entire rest of the hunt.

23-Oct-15
I really like the new base layers. The "pyrolene" antimicrobial properties work better than any synthetic I've ever worn and the stuff dries fast. The only thing I hated about merino was the fact that it dries rather slowly. Though the new base layers don't keep the "funk" down as well as merino, it does a pretty good job. I wore two shirts for 12 days on my Stone Sheep hunt (rotating each day) and by the end of the trip, they still had a few days left in them IMO. Good stuff, give them a try, I wear a lot less Merino these days.

24-Oct-15
Congratulations Cory on a great moose and hunt.

Just a little clarification on DNA testing. P&Y and B&C use the same testing procedures and lab. Currently there is no DNA test to differentiate between Shiras moose and other moose. I'm being told the research is being done and there may be a Shiras moose DNA test in the near future. P&Y and B&C are on the same page with this.... So Cory, don't throw those antlers away yet. Congrats, Ed F

24-Oct-15
Thanks for the clarification Ed...

24-Oct-15
the plural of “moose” is “moose” it is not “meese” nor is it “mooses!”

The moose (Alces alces) is largest member of the deer family. Four subspecies of moose are recognized in North America (perhaps incorrectly so) including Shira’s moose (A. a. shirasi), Eastern moose (A. a. americana), Northwestern moose (A. a. andersoni), and Alaskan moose (A. a. gigas) (Bubenik 2007)

Following are excerpts from the Journal of Mammalogy, 84(2):718-728, 2003

…….Geist (1998) argued, however, that morphological variation in North American moose is clinal and is not a basis for subspecific recognition. Moreover, Cronin (1992) found no variation within North American moose for restriction fragment length polymorphisms of the mitochondrial genome and no support for subspecies. …...

……..Taxonomic implications.-The concept of subspecies is subjective and controversial. Mayr (1970) defined the term subspecies as a group of phenotypically similar populations inhabiting a geographic subdivision of the range of a species. Avise and Ball (1990) adopted a more restrictive definition that requires phylogenetic distinction among subspecies, specifically monophyly. They also emphasized that phylogenetic differences should consist of multiple, independent genetic traits. Moreover, Cronin (1993) argued that designation of subspecies should rely on analysis of multiple criteria rather than merely on analysis of genetic data. ……..

…….Our data indicate a pattern of genetic structure among regional moose populations caused by lack of gene flow and are consistent with some degree of isolation of populations in the past ……..

……………...If rapid evolutionary change derives from dispersal and colonization of new range (Geist 1987b; Hewitt 1996), then the differentiation necessary for subspecies may occur before attainment of reciprocal monophyly for a genetic marker. Although further investigations incorporating nuclear loci, particularly in contact zones, may be necessary to achieve a final conclusion, there is evidence of restriction in gene flow among regional populations of moose in the past, which is consistent with the distribution of 4 subspecies of moose in North America. ……………..

side note. A major reasons Moose populations decline in a specific area taking from another of Giest publications: Geist (1971) recognized two types of moose habitat, permanent and transient. Permanent habitats are those that persist through time and do not succeed to other vegetative communities (Peek 2007). Examples of permanent habitat include riparian and high elevation shrub communities. Annual flooding, avalanches, or timberline conditions help maintain those more permanent moose habitat types. Transient habitat is more common and is usually associated with forest fires and timber harvesting which remove coniferous trees and revert the habitat to 3 early seral stages dominated by shrubs and young deciduous tress. Throughout much of its range in North America, the moose is associated with short-lived subclimax plant communities that follow in the wake of forest fires (Geist 1971). Habitat improvement projects which favor early seral stages and increased shrub growth can be very beneficial to moose.

Back to species ID:

taken from website Mooseman.de.

Stefan Sattler creator of one of the world's most comprehensive Web sites on moose: Mooseman.de.

Moose Species and Population ……..All moose on Earth belong to one species (Alces alces linneaus). (For the scientific classification of the moose in general see the Species link at the bottom of this page.) Looking further at differentiation into sub-species, a point of controversy comes up: below you find the standard classification into a variety of subspecies, as science has defined it.

But newer sources question this classification, the argument being that observed differences in moose can be explained by differences in their environment. On this reasoning there are only two subspecies…… The European/ West Siberian Moose (Alces alces alces) The East Siberian / North American Moose (Alces alces americanus) Only two real sub-species ?

the normal scientific classification of moose is following the habitat and the discoverers. Adopting that point of view, there are four sub-species of Alces Alces in Eurasia and four more in North-America. The differentiation taken by the different discoverers, who named the sub-species, was based on different colours, sizes, antlers. Usually different sub-species are distinguished in their genes, which then justifies an own sub-species.

For the moose the genetic variation is quite little between the sub-species. All modern moose descend from the region of Yakutia / Manchuria in eastern Asia. Differences in genes seem to be more depending on isolation by distance, but not the existence of distinct eastern and western sub-species. Hence, another perception would be more clear from biological point of view: Only two real sub-species The European/ West Siberian Moose (Alces alces alces) The East Siberian / North American Moose (Alces alces americanus

Body size: The body size is mainly dependant on the environment: If the food supply is generous, the animals get bigger. Looking at geographical regions, it can be observed, that moose in the area of the 65th parallel with much and high-quality moose browse reach 550-630 kg, while at the 40th parallel with food not being that perfectly suited moose only reach weights of around 250-350kg. An example: The Alaskan moose is huge, as in that region the flora has long periods of growth from spring to autumn with very long summer-days and cool nights. This leads to above-average photosynthesis and very good nutrient concentration.

Classification/taxonomy Moose are part of the Cervidae family, which includes cervids, caribou, deer, moose and wapiti. The taxonomy of moose, according to the Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS), is: Kingdom: Animalia Subkingdom: Bilateria Infrakingdom: Deuterostomia Phylum: Chordata Subphylum: Vertebrata Infraphylum: Gnathostomata Superclass: Tetrapoda Class: Mammalia Subclass: Theria Infraclass: Eutheria Order: Artiodactyla Family: Cervidae Subfamily: Capreolinae Genus & species: Alces alces, Alces americanus (American moose) Subspecies: Alces alces alces (European elk), Alces alces caucasicus (Caucasian moose — extinct), Alces americanus americanus, Alces americanus cameloides While ITIS and some researchers list the American moose as a distinct species, there is still some debate about whether it is a true species (Alces americanus) or subspecies (Alces alces cameloides), according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

the plural of “moose” is “moose” it is not “meese” nor is it “mooses!”

24-Oct-15
That is some "information overload" right there! But thanks...;)

09-Nov-15
And in Europe, they are Elk

10-Nov-15
Awesome bull! Congrats! I am currently saving every penny I can to hunt moose in Canada in the fall of 2017 and your story has me pumped back up! Thanks for the story

10-Nov-15
Finally found some time to read this entire thread. Great work again Cory!

I got to hunt shiras moose yesterday and we had an awesome day, seeing 10 moose and we got a good bull. Fun times!

10-Nov-15
I come on Bowsite to live vicariously through you guys, talk shop and now after reading Huntcell's diatribe I feel like I am ready to get write my thesis for my PHd in Wildlife biology:)

Man, am I getting smart these days.

Mark

11-Nov-15
Finally found some time to read this entire thread. Great work again Cory!

I got to hunt shiras moose yesterday and we had an awesome day, seeing 10 moose and we got a good bull. Fun times!

• Sitka Gear