JLS 08-Oct-15
Bowhntr 08-Oct-15
Bowhntr 12-Oct-15
JLS 12-Oct-15
Bowhntr 12-Oct-15
HoytSlinger 12-Oct-15
JLS 12-Oct-15
08-Oct-15
Guys, I need some help. I just finished my 4th attempt at hunting elk in Montana. I was unsuccessful for the 4th time and I hate to burn this $1,000 elk/deer tag. I am considering going back in November to try to seal the deal. As much as I would like to kill another elk with my bow, I am open to the possibility of rifle hunting. I have never hunted elk this late in the year. I don't know where to find them. I am open to hunting any part of the state. I would be willing to shoot any legal bull or a nice mule deer buck. I would be happy to come home with an elk or deer. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some pointers, I would appreciate it.

08-Oct-15
What part of the state are you wanting to hunt in?

Plenty of elk in Regions 3 and 4, as well as 2 and 5 that you can hunt on a general tag.

Keep in mind that a lot of deer units in Regions 2 and 3 are permit only, so check the regs to make sure you can hunt deer there also.

08-Oct-15
JLS, we elk hunted in Region 3, mostly in the Gravelly Range. There was an insane amount of pressure there. It was more crowded than the OTC units that I've hunted in Colorado. I would like to try somewhere other than the Gravellys. I'm open to any part of the state.

12-Oct-15
Any help is appreciated!

12-Oct-15
Lots of elk in the Little Belts. And Crazies. And Big Belts.

12-Oct-15
Thanks JLS. I've been researching the Crazies. I will also take a look at the Little/Big Belts.

12-Oct-15
If you thought the Gravelly's were crowded in bow season, wait until you see rifle season!

Sounds like you are looking else where and that's a good idea and you've received some good advice.

Personally I'd be looking in some of the Region 4 areas where it is either sex.

It can be tough to find a bull late in the season and being either sex gives you a better chance of taking home some elk meat.

Just my .02, good luck!

12-Oct-15
I hate to break the news to you, but every single one of these mountain ranges will be congested at sometime, somewhere. It's up to you to use your creativity and extra effort to find your space away from other hunters.

• Sitka Gear