hunt'n addict 15-Oct-15
Korey Wolfe 17-Jun-16
Pyrannah 17-Jun-16
razorsharp 27-Jul-16
Bou'bound 28-Jul-16
TREESTANDWOLF 28-Jul-16
APauls 28-Jul-16
12-Oct-15
This hunting adventure started over two years ago when I contacted Buzz Marvin at Hosted Hunts to discuss a caribou hunt.

I liked the idea of mountain hunting as my age and physical conditions are becoming a bit challenging.

A mountain caribou hunt was soon booked with Yukon Big Game Outfitters in the Yukon.

I wanted the best chance at a mature bull and after consulting with Shawn Raymond and Buzz, we decided on hunting 25 Sept - 5 Oct.

Mountain caribou would be my primary target, with moose, and grizzly bears added to the list if our paths crossed.

12-Oct-15
Bring it on Russell!

We look forward to it!

I need a good hunt to carry me through until this Minnesota rut gets going!:)

Mark

12-Oct-15
Can't wait to hear more details Russell...

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Packed my bow wrapped in a sleeping bag with a pair of Schnee's pac boots protecting each cam. Arrows with tube, quiver, hunting clothing, etc filled the case to a bit over 50 lbs.

There's no way the bow will be damaged in this case. Besides, I only carry one bow on trips.

Backpack with remaining gear was packed in a light wt duffle bag.

Flying Air Canada from Nashville to Toronto, Vancouver, and into Whitehorse.

Bless Air Canada's heart, they permit Canadian and US military both active and retired to ck three bags free weighing up to 70 lbs each. NICE! Will try and fly with them again.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Arrived a the Nashville airport a couple hours early. Cked in two bags free and had my carry-on bag and fishing rod.

All was going fine until I saw this about my flight to Toronto!

12-Oct-15
Looking forward to this!!

12-Oct-15
This oughtta be good! Sounds like a great hunt in the making!

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Due to flt delays, I missed my connection in Vancouver to Whitehorse.

No problems. Air Canada had a nice hotel room reserved for me.

Caught the first flt next day.

My plans were to arrive a couple days early and stay a couple days after the hunt to allow for schedule changes.

This one saved me $$$ in one nites hotel fees. NICE.

I was relaxed and feeling good about this hunt.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Arrived in Whitehorse and was met by a YBGO rep that drove me to my hotel (Gold Rush Inn).

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Was greeted by this guy wearing a nice red jacket. He didn't say much; believe his special orders were to guard Mr Moose.

I'm liking what I'm seeing here.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Sandra Raymond (outfitters wife) stopped by to discuss plans for the next mornings flight into the bush.

0730 pickup with a 0800 show at the floatplane dock.

Just me and the pilot flew an hour to basecamp on 25 Sept.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Weather was partly cloudy as we cruised at a thousand feet or so.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Final approach to base camp.

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
According to Sandra, this is her favorite camp. They had a shower and internet.

WHAT INTERNET??? I wanted to be off the grid and away from all that stuff. I refused to ask for the password (until the last day with the hunt over I caved).

Nice place. Hunters cabin to the right by the windsock.

A large stack of wood and a stove for each occupied cabin. NICE.

A whole lot different weather than back home in Alabama. I LIKE THAT!

12-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Was met by my guide Thomas Turcotte and wrangler Cole McChesney. What a great team. Nicknames the A-Team.

Using field notes for most of the remaining posts.

25 Sept. After getting settled and doing some target shooting (stumping), the weather started to change. Wind and snow.

26 Sept: Snowstorm continues. Heavy at times with limited visibility.

Winds are strong with snow accumulation of 1-2" every couple hours.

Waiting for a break in the storm and the animals will be very active. Just need to wait.

Went fishing. Nothing caught. Hoping for lake trout.

Best fishing was reported at far end of lake. A bit far to walk without gun. Grizzlies in the area too.

2 PM winds starting to switch direction. Break in the storm?

Talk of possibly moving to different cabin via horse. Three hour ride. Valley that caribou are known to breed in.

Spoke with Thomas about the move. They call the remote cabin we're going to tomorrow "Trophy Valley."

Late afternoon the weather has cleared. We are departing for remote cabin in the morning.

12-Oct-15
"Bless Air Canada's heart, they permit Canadian and US military both active and retired to ck three bags free weighing up to 70 lbs each. NICE! Will try and fly with them again."

I'll have to look into that,,,could be my next favorite airline!

look forward to the rest of the story

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
27 Sept

Weather is clear and winds calm. Temps in the 20's with 8-10" of snow covering the ground.

After a hearty breakfast and several cups of cowboy coffee, the horses were prepared for a ride to a remote cabin.

I'm not the biggest fan of horses but I'm getting better. Cole selected a horse for me called "Bitch." Great...really?

I greeted her with an apple in hopes of making friends.

I asked if the horses knew their names. No was the answer...we call them how they act. Sometimes we call her Sugar.

This aught to be interesting...I'm riding a horse named "Bitch" on a three hour ride through the mountains.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Rode many of miles following a trail. Saw a couple bull caribou and grizzly bear tracks in the snow.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
I learned why my horse was named Bitch. For one, she didn't like to get her feet muddy. I can understand that. Two, she often had her own idea where the trail was.

Why follow the trail and get my feet muddy when I can plow through these trees and take a shortcut (she must of thought).

When ever I corrected her path or tried to, I would soon pay dearly for my input. You see, she would find the next tree on the trail and walk right next to it, knowing it's going to hit me. It happened every time I corrected her path.

We eventfully had a "counseling session" that she immediately retaliated with a couple tree encounters.

Overall, Bitch and I got along well.

Here we stopped half-way and glassed for a few minutes.

13-Oct-15
This is shaping up well!

Great photo documentation!

Thanks! Love this kind of tale!

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thanks Treeline.

Here's the remote cabin. Well stocked with food, a wood stove, and plenty of wood.

Did some stump shooting using a judo tipped arrow. Up and down hills.

I told my guide that I was good at 40-45 yards, but a lot better at 20. He didn't say much.

We talked a bit about expected shot ranges and he wanted me to start thinking about shots out to 70+ yards. There's normally no cover and the big bulls often stay away at this range.

My normal practice sessions back home were from 60 yards, with a few days shooting at 70 yards. A few shots closer to 80 using my 70 yd pin just to learn how the bow shoots.

Practice sessions also included kneeling at 35 yards wearing my backpack, binos, and hunting jacket.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
After we got settled in camp and ate lunch, we rode up to the high point and glassed.

Snow was starting to fall as the clouds rolled in.

Shot at a white Rock Ptarmigan two times (35 & 30 yds. just missed.

Took half hour each time to find my arrow under the snow and foliage. Mission aborted trying to kill dinner. I'm hunting caribous.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
After a while the weather cleared and a herd of caribou (approx 40) with a very large herd bull was spotted on the far mountain (1 1/2 miles away).

They looked like dots w/legs moving around on the snow through my 10x42 binos.

Both Thomas and Cole were using spotting scopes and Cole told me to take a look. Hmmmm...I see antlers. They were calling this bull a "Toad" (what's a toad in Yukon lingo?)

A 1 1/2 hour ride to get over there, too late in the day to stalk this bull.

We will return next morning to the lookout point and look for the herd. Weather pending as we are in the mountains and the weather changes very fast.

Notes from previous day: The ride from base camp to remote cabin was spectacular.

Snow covered the entire landscape, with the frequent ponds being lightly frozen over.

As we rode along with six horses, numerous brooks and an occasional stream were crossed.

Our trail took us along breathtaking mountain passes with periodic stops to stretch the legs and glass for caribou and moose.

This was a hunting adventure that was planned over two years ago and was well worth the wait.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
28 Sept

Started the day with warming temps and rain.

Rode up to the lookout point. Glassed for caribou for 30 minutes.

Didn't see any caribou so we rode over to where the herd was the day prior.

Lots of tracks and sign of a couple bulls fighting. Tuffs of hair found.

Saw a yearling spike bull traveling alone.

The young bull watched us riding and setup to glass. He came over to investigate us. He got within 20 some yards. He was curious but confused. Must of thought our horses were the worlds largest caribou.

As we glassed, my horse started sniffing the air strangely and starring off toward the far valley.

I found that interesting (remembering from a previous elk hunt in Colorado via horseback, horses often see the elk before we do) and told my guide that I think my horse sees some animals.

A few minutes later Cole (the wrangler) spotted a bull caribou a mile away moving toward the lookout mountain.

Soon another bull was spotted.

Cole got on the spotting scope and both he and Thomas viewed the largest of the two bulls. They thought it was the big bull we saw the evening prior with the 40 some cows.

Thomas and Cole discussed a plan and soon we were riding fast to ambush the bulls.

As we got closer, I was shedding extra gloves, tucking in hoods and collars, and getting ready for a shot of a lifetime.

13-Oct-15
Great stuff so far Russell!

Great pics!

All this horse riding is bringing my nervous twitch back!

Keep it coming!

Mark

13-Oct-15
I no doubt have ridden Bitch's mother.... her aunt... her sister.. her dad, etc.

Great story!

13-Oct-15
This is gettin good. Keep it coming Russell!

agree, Great story!

13-Oct-15
Awesome write up so far!

13-Oct-15
Pretty sure I rode one of her relatives in the NWT! Almost ended my hunt up there by bucking me off - pulled my groin, twisted my knee and broke a fingering my shooting hand!

The caribou up there were not too tough to get up close on, if you played it right. Earlier hunt while they were in velvet. But with all those cows it sounds really tough!

Awesome story so far! Keepin up on my cell phone from South America! Keep it coming!

13-Oct-15
Amazing story and great story teller. This beats any magazine article you can read.

Thanks for bringing us alone.

13-Oct-15
I am exited on how this turns out. Possibly the horse is the wild card and it cracks me up! What a name and for a hunter to ride.........

13-Oct-15
Great story and pics so far Russell, keep 'em coming!

Your pics and story def brings back memories, I rode an exact twin of Bitch at Blackstone years ago hunting caribou...she was named Penny and was an absolute sweetheart to ride.

13-Oct-15
Keep it coming Russell !!

13-Oct-15
I'm tuned in. We want all of the details even if the horse threw you off! What a way to document your hunt.

13-Oct-15
Saw this posted on the Hosted Hunts email update. Congrats on a super bull!

13-Oct-15
Great thread. Thanks for bringing us along!

13-Oct-15
Thanks for all the comments.

And the story continues:

Within 20 minutes we dismounted and Cole unlashed my bow.

Thomas and I quickly moved down a shallow ravine while Cole tended the horses.

Within a hundred yards of moving down the ravine, we could see the antlers of the big bull coming our way.

Thomas said "Laydown!" Really I thought...I'm a bowhunter, so I kneeled on both knees.

Thomas laid down and ranged the bull as he slowly moved our way. We whispered while trying to decide when to shoot.

85 yds, 75, 60, 55. All frontals or hard quartering toward us. No shots.

My focus was only on the vitals. I only looked at the towering brown rack once.

Focused and relaxed...I was in the zone.

The bull stopped a few times and stared at us, but still continued toward our way but angling to our left.

Remembering what my Alaskan moose guide told me last year as a 70"+ bull was working toward us: "Don't look into his eyes." I did not look into the eyes of this bull either.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the smaller yearling bull to my left about 30 yards away.

Without us knowing, Cole was moving the team of horses in a loop to attract the attention of the big bull.

It worked until the bull blew a warning at around 50 some yards. He turned and ran a bit.

Thomas whistled lightly to stop the bull. It worked and I immediately came to full draw.

"How far"? I asked. 76 yards was the whispered response.

13-Oct-15
AWESOME!

13-Oct-15
Way to go SteveB do you read the ending of the book first?? :)

13-Oct-15
Note to self. Never watch a movid with Steve...

13-Oct-15
Waiting here for the play by play.

13-Oct-15
Russell, I think he's moved out over 100 yards by now! Ha! Love the story so far! Adventures like this are only a dream for many of us and many thanks from me for taking us along!

13-Oct-15
Lol Brotsky!

Yes, Steve sort of spilled the beans on this one. It's all good. No harm intended.

So, where were we? O yes, kneeling with backpack at full draw, and focused on the lungs of a mountain caribou bull standing broadside looking my way.

I was rock steady and held my 70 yard pin a few inches high while focusing on a spot.

Muscle memory kicked in; the sight picture was perfect and soon the arrow was on its way. Maintaining my focus on the center of body, I lost sight of the arrow but heard a sold thud as the arrow hit.

I don't remember the release, but I can still see my green pin against his brown coat.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thomas and I jumped up as he excitedly stated "YOU HIT HIM!" I thought...I know I hit him, but where?

Thomas saw the arrow arc through the air and disappear into the bull's vitals.

I ran to the left to higher ground looking for the bull.

Soon I could see the yearling bull and a blood trail in the snow that was eight feet wide!

Seconds later I saw antlers of a bull down.

We hugged, high fived, and ran down to see the big bull. I think we repeated the hugging, handshaking, etc a couple more times before we got to the bull.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
The arrow did it's job hitting the junction of the trachea and both lungs and a complete pass through. The arrow was recovered 15 feet from the place of hit.

The bull traveled 52 yards.

Arrow entered on the right side. This picture show the exit.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
After the photo session, Thomas and Cole (along with my help) caped and quartered the bull.

All this was spread-out on some nearby patches of snow.

The next morning we are bring the pack horses for pack-out and ride back to basecamp.

13-Oct-15
Way to go. Awesome!! Thanks for sharing the story.

13-Oct-15
Russell great hunt and congratulations! Where is your horse in this whole shot sequence and is she still your sidekick?

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thanks loesshillsarcher.

This picture better reflects the terrain we hunted.

13-Oct-15
Thanks for sharing !!

13-Oct-15
Awesome bull and great story!

13-Oct-15
Congratulations!!! You are living the dream man!!! Thanks for posting such a great story with excellent photos for us to ride along with you!

13-Oct-15
Tremendous trophy! Beautiful late season cape - he will be awesome on the wall!

Congratulations!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

13-Oct-15
Holy smokes, what a beautiful bull! And, some great storytelling I might add!

Great job all around!

Best of luck, Jeff

13-Oct-15
Congrats again Russell. Great bull...Great story.

13-Oct-15
Congrats on a great bull Russell

13-Oct-15
Great story and Bull! Congrats !!!

13-Oct-15
What a hunt. Congrats. Hunt

13-Oct-15
Congrats on a magnificent bull. They are incredible looking animals with their white manes and chestnut antlers.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

13-Oct-15
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thanks all for the kind words.

I was thinking about contacting Bowhunter magazine and writing an article in journal format. But figured they would remove some parts and names, besides, I think more folks would enjoy the story on Bowsite.

Alphamax35: My horse was one of the smartest in camp. She knew when a guide or wrangler vs hunter was riding her.

I shared my snacks and lunches with her daily. We had some talks along the way too. She was a real nice horse, but sometimes a hardheaded female at times.

Thomas my guide is on my right with Cole the wrangler (also a guide) on my left.

My horse Bitch is in the background enjoying life.

13-Oct-15
Fantastic bull and hunt, congratulations!

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
29 Sept

Ate a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausages along with a few cups of strong black cowboy coffee. Just what I needed for this upcoming day of packing-out the bull, breaking camp, and riding back to base camp.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Pack-out went well, very windy though.

Just in case a grizzly found the kill, we approached downwind. However, a few days later another hunter in camp reported seeing a very large grizz on the remains.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Here's a few pictures of the ride back to camp.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo

13-Oct-15
Great story! Congrats on an awesome bull! Thanks for sharing with us!

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thank you sir!

We broke camp quickly and rode back to basecamp. Saw a herd of 30+ caribou with a couple nice bulls.

Arrived home-away-from-home tired and sore! Nearly five plus hours in the saddle. My left knee hurt and my butt was sore.

A little rest, good chow, and some practice stumping, I'm ready to hunt moose in a couple days after the cape and meat is cared for.

Cole rough scored my bull at 358 P&Y.

13-Oct-15
Congrats on a great bull! Thanks for the story and photos

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thanks Zackman

30 Sept

Strong winds today with gusts to 40+ mph.

Caped bull and finished prepping the meat for fly-out. Due to the meat being very strong during the rut, I have donated all except the heart to First Nation people that are in need of meat.

Thomas cooked the heart along with potatoes, inions, and gravy. It was camp dinner for two new caribou hunters. Nobody besides me had seconds. I'm glad caribou only have one heart!

Plan is to hunt moose starting tomorrow.

Weather is supposed to break and temps plummet for the next couple days. Clear skies too.

4 PM Winds still strong with snow falling. Temps are dropping fast. Gathering extra firewood for the cabin.

13-Oct-15
Thanks for the great story and pics makes my night here at work much better, hope you get a big moose!

13-Oct-15
My apologies guys.....guess I didn't give my comment a second thought that it would spill the beans. Truly sorry Russell.

That said, what a great hunt and great bull!

13-Oct-15
Awesome, very well done. I was captivated the entire read. Congrats.

13-Oct-15

13-Oct-15

13-Oct-15
Great bull and great story, congratulations.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thank you spike

Thank you spike

Thank you spike! :)

Not a problem Steve. It's all good.

Here's a picture that was posted inside my cabin's door.

Shot in the area back in 94 and still P&Y #1

13-Oct-15
I enjoyed the story- thanks for sharing. Nice Caribou, too.

13-Oct-15
Russel, Congrats! Looks like Shawn and ice lakes treated you well. Nice job

13-Oct-15
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing it with us here on the Bowsite. I personally enjoy the anticipation and breaks in the story so much more than when I read something in the magazines. Great bull.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Thanks guys. Yes, Shawn's team took great care of his clients.

1 Oct Weather has cleared, winds calm, and not too cold, maybe 30 degrees F or so.

Rode about an hour to a high ridge overlooking a huge valley of swamps and beaver ponds.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Soon after we arrived in the moose hunting grounds it started to sleet then changed to snow.

13-Oct-15
Lovin your pictures and the commentary!

This last picture had me smelling the horses, wet leather, and fall alders in the snow when I saw it. Great pictures!

Can't wait to see how the moose hunt goes:)

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
The snowstorm lasted over an hour and dumped a couple inches. Wind picked up and the thermometer bottomed out.

We hunted a few more hours glassing and calling. Nothing seen nor heard.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
2 Oct

Northern lights were out last night. Got up and watched them a few times throughout the night. They danced well around midnight and then I retired to my warm sleeping bag for the night.

Woke up to a cold morning of -19 degrees C, crisp and clear. Something like 0 degrees F.

Lake is nearly completely frozen with an area open in the middle.

Rode a couple hours back to the big valley and beyond. Called for 5-6 hours.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Saw a fresh set of cow moose tracks in this area.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Bitch and me had a few choice words as she kept running me into trees.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Here we're back on speaking terms.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Glassing for moose.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
There's got to be a bull moose out there somewhere.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Around 3 pm this small bull came in to our calls.

He had love on his mind and we could only tease him with calls.

He followed us for a few miles until Thomas stopped calling.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
We arrived back at camp to watch an awesome sunset.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Due to the hard freeze and calm winds, the pilots reported they were having problems landing.

All camps were closing down early and a Beaver would be arriving tomorrow afternoon to take myself and one other hunter back to Whitehorse.

The hunt had ended a couple days early. I was ok with this, because I got my primary animal. A moose would have broken the bank.

13-Oct-15
This is a super story. A great recording of your adventure. Thanks for sharing with the Bowsiters. Congrats on a trophy caribou bull.

Standing by for more action.

13-Oct-15

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Aircraft arrived as scheduled.

A great way to end a dream come true.

The folks at Yukon Big Game Outfitters run a quality operations and the A-Team do things with a twist. (that's an inside joke)

It's not fancy, but it sure was nice. I like rustic conditions...maybe a touch warmer next time.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

PM me if you have questions.

Deer season here on 15 Oct. Can't wait...my freezer is empty of venison.

14-Oct-15
Great adventure, and awesome bull!

14-Oct-15
Grats on a great hunt. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

14-Oct-15
Awesome bowhunting adventure. Thanks Russel.

14-Oct-15
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

14-Oct-15
Congratulations... great bull and an excellent report!

14-Oct-15
Congrats Russell! Beautiful bull! Thank you for sharing your pictures and story!

14-Oct-15
Congrats Russel! Great write up, thanks for sharing!

14-Oct-15
Great write up and pictures! Congrats.

14-Oct-15
Wow.... what a great trip, bull and story. Congratulations. Ed F

14-Oct-15
Russel, what grip do you have on your bow?

14-Oct-15
that is crazy huge country isn't it ???

fantastic hunt/trip and share with us

14-Oct-15
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

14-Oct-15
I may have missed it....who did you hunt with?

14-Oct-15
congrats!

14-Oct-15
What an adventure, congrats!

14-Oct-15
forget it its right in the first post. don't know how i missed it

Great Bull and write up. Thank you

14-Oct-15
All 5 species of Caribou are getting harder and harder to get! You did very well! Great pics! C

14-Oct-15
Russell you brought me with you and I thank you. Great pictures and suspense..........still love your horse and the 2 of you "getting along". Any venison yet?

14-Oct-15
Terrific story, pictures and bull! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

14-Oct-15

Russell's Link
Awesome comments folks. I appreciate each and every one.

This tread is only intended to share an awesome adventure with my extended family, "bowhunters."

huntmaster: The grip is a Van handle Death Grip.

14-Oct-15
Congratulations & as others have commented - great photos and write-up!

>>>>-------->

14-Oct-15
Great write up and pics. Thanks for taking us along and sharing it with the Bowsite.

Congrats on the bou..... and on an awesome adventure.

14-Oct-15
Congrats, awesome story

14-Oct-15
Russell - just a note of thanks for the shout out and a congratulatory whoop whoop for your successful mountain caribou hunt.

Thank you, Buzz Marvin Hosted Hunts, Inc.

14-Oct-15
Great story and collection of pics.

14-Oct-15
Last time I heard a "whoop whoop" was when a Huey was flying by...thanks Buzz

14-Oct-15
Congrats Russell. Very happy for you brother. Good thing you didn't bring the osage bow for that shot LOL. Great pics and story telling.

15-Oct-15
Congrats on a really good mountain caribou and a great shot!

15-Oct-15
Well done...great picture and animal,,,great shot!!!

15-Oct-15
Great job of sharing the adventure. Congrats on a great bull!

15-Oct-15
CONGRATS! Great bull, pics, and writre-up!

15-Oct-15
Thanks again for the kind comments.

Good memory Gaur: Actually during this trip I was reading the book written by Saxton T. Pope, Hunting with the Bow & Arrow. He talked about routinely shooting at game at 80 some yards and beyond.

15-Oct-15
Great adventure! Congrats!

15-Oct-15
Thanks for sharing with us. Congratulations on a great bull.

17-Jun-16
Too bad I missed this thread the first time. What a great adventure and thanks for sharing.

17-Jun-16
thanks for bumping this back up!! Really cool...

it'd be nice if all the threads like these get put in their own category... There are a few I'd like to go read again, but have a hard time finding them

27-Jul-16
Wow! That is awesome!

28-Jul-16
great story .........again

28-Jul-16
Adventure Bowhunting... There is nothing better.

Russell outstanding photos as well. Great effort all the way around.

Congrats and Thank You for taking the time to share.

28-Jul-16
Great Story!!! Just read it for the first time. Glad it popped back up again. Tremendous journalling with pics - just loved it.

• Sitka Gear