JusPassin 18-Oct-15
Ken Taylor 19-Oct-15
5575 20-Oct-15
Genesis 20-Oct-15
Zbone 20-Oct-15
Treeline 20-Oct-15
sticksender 20-Oct-15
13-Oct-15
A lot of seasons are over, and a few still yet to begin.

Has anyone heard of any potential new P&Y records?

Do you think any will come out of the 2015 seasons and which ones are ripe to be dethroned?

13-Oct-15
Tough to say, but I do think Norm Johnsons typical whitetail might be at risk of being dethroned in the near future. 204 and change...

The reason I say that is because people are growing their deer now, food plots, leases, winter feeding, year round surveillance...

It's just a matter of time IMO.

13-Oct-15
heard world record muskox came from NWT a couple weeks ago. not confirmed.

13-Oct-15
There's only been one Whitetail entry in the last 10 years that's even cracked the top 10 in P&Y.

We might be "growing" a lot of 130-160 bucks, which are nice indeed. But anything netting over 190 typical is extremely rare and very special for sure. It takes a whole lot more than planting food plots to generate such a buck.

And btw, it's Mel Johnson ;-)

13-Oct-15
Where'd I come up with Norm?

Anybody heard of him? :)

13-Oct-15
Norm Johnson is the magnificent bowyer who makes blacktail bows. absolutely the pinnacle of craftsmanship, functionality, and art.

13-Oct-15
"Norm Johnson is the magnificent bowyer who makes blacktail bows. absolutely the pinnacle of craftsmanship, functionality, and art."

Yep. Sorry about the gaffe. I shoot trad so I know all about those bows.

13-Oct-15
I agree with Pat, you better have video evidence and the deer holding a copy of that days newspaper and a lot more. Hell I don't even talk about the deer I kill anymore because of all the idiots out there. I agree that any typical over 190"s is very rare. Shawn

13-Oct-15
Pats right. If you shoot anything big, dot your i's and cross your t's. People are gonna come after you. Its getting ridiculous. A kid not too far from here shot a 200 inch deer a few years back and someone stole the mount out of his house. Dont think they ever got it back. Midwest might know, it was out in his neck of the woods.

Shoot it, get it home, and keep your mouth shut would be my advice.

13-Oct-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Patdel,

No, the stolen mount was never recovered. I had the pleasure of seeing the buck the day it was recovered by Brian and his dad. These pics were taken in front of the plant where I work. 253-1/8", state record archery non-typical at the time. Now #3.

13-Oct-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

13-Oct-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Current #1 Iowa archery non-typical. 275-5/8"

13-Oct-15
Seeing some static about a potential new world record non-typical mule deer that a friend of a friend shot this year in Utah in the Henry's. In velvet it is a lot bigger than the current WR non-typical. Will see how it finishes after drying and stripping, but has a good chance.

13-Oct-15

rock50's Link
Check out Jim Thome's deer........

Close, but still 10+ inches below Mel's buck

13-Oct-15

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Unofficially 307 5/8". Would bust the NT mule deer record by about 30" before stripping and drying. Might just hang in there for a new WR!

13-Oct-15
That's an awesome mule deer. It appears to be a cactus buck??? If so, they are unfortunately not eligible for B&C and/or P&Y records program......stripped velvet or not.

13-Oct-15

13-Oct-15
Great buck, cactus, might be, they usually have more trash though. It will be interesting to see what happens.

14-Oct-15
I predict that Mitch Rompola will shatter all records this season.

14-Oct-15
Anyone see Jack Brittinghams typical mule deer he killed with Greg Krogh? Something like 210"+

14-Oct-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Mel Johnson and the "Beanfield Buck" are written up in the current issue of the P&Y Ethic! The Typical Whitetail is the most sought after animal in North America and the archery record has stood since 1965! Great deer and great bow hunter!

Mel is on the right:)

14-Oct-15
Jim Thome played for my fantasy baseball team for a long time. If I didn't draft him, I would trade for him.

Nothing to do with this thread but I like the guy. ;-)

16-Oct-15
mule deer & musk ox posibilities so far. Any others? bear? one of the caribou? moose?

16-Oct-15
Who cares? This has become so political and measuring has become a joke of opinions instead of standards. In my opinion B&C lost their way and purpose and P&Y are heading that way. Look at the story of the King buck. It has become a joke. They change the rules or how they interpret them. Just like the mention of cactus buck. Why don't we just measure success by overall weight of animal and stop all the bull.

16-Oct-15
I think both organizations have followed their scoring rules very consistently. There may be people who want them to change but their standards have held for more than 50 years with few rule changes, the changes that have been made are made by vote of membership.

16-Oct-15
Mel took his with a recurve, shouldn't the next one be required to be taken the same way?

16-Oct-15
But how those rules are applied is based on the opinion of the scorer and or politics. Again look at how the controversy of the King buck played out.

16-Oct-15
This is off topic, but a shared base is a shared base

16-Oct-15
Sorry that was the Zaft buck

16-Oct-15
I am definitely looking forward to seeing some new world records and hearing the great hunting stories behind them.

Fortunately God has created these great creatures and put them on this planet for us. Occasionally one of these creatures has an unusual set of antlers or horns that challenges the best of official measurers. In the end, the challenges are usually worked out. Even more rare than the challenging set of antlers/horns, are rule changes to the scoring system... which are done for the overall benefit and continuity of the scoring system. Not for an individual set of antlers/horns.

God has also created spectacular sunrises every single morning... some people are unhappy about each of those. Ed F

16-Oct-15
Very well stated.

But, what do we know about records?

16-Oct-15
Records are made to be broken!

16-Oct-15
Heard today about another potential Shiras Bull Moose record contender from this season. Taken last month with a longbow. Green score in the mid-190's. Current record is in the mid-180's.

Bull Moose are fabulous quarry for bow-hunting ;-)

16-Oct-15
Animals only get so big. Someday records will reach a maximum potential and will cease to be broken.

16-Oct-15
Are we allowed to vote on which of the records we don't ever want to see broken?!?! ;-)

16-Oct-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I got this picture from Tommy Clum. His uncle arrowed this with a longbow. I hope no one gets upset that I shared. But too cool of an specimen not to share. They are thinking its above the current world record!

17-Oct-15
"Mel took his with a recurve, shouldn't the next one be required to be taken the same way?" No, but there should arguably be a separate division in the P&Y book for recurve/longbow entries,

IThe largest elk taken with longbow/recurve is around 410 +/- and I think that is beatable.

18-Oct-15
David A.- there should also be separate division for guided and unguided, public and private land, professional and amateur, male and female hunter and youth just to name a few.

18-Oct-15
"Animals only get so big. Someday records will reach a maximum potential and will cease to be broken"

Yeah, I think they are close to that now in B&C...

18-Oct-15
David A., your idea sounds like my grandsons grade school where everyone is a "winner".

It's supposed to be a out the equipment, and the animal, period.

19-Oct-15
As most of you know, the Pope and Young Club has a complete book that includes harvests with all types of bows, but then there is also a book available called "The Traditional Journey" for traditional bow harvests only.

And, besides white tails being in the complete book, there is also a specialized white tail book that includes more details and information.

20-Oct-15
Hubert Collins almost did it in 03 without even trying. Was just trying to get a doe for meat when he shot the #2 in the world. Had no idea what he had. Even lopped the head off and threw it behind the garage!

20-Oct-15
Mel looks like he just got "pestered to death" poor guy...:)

20-Oct-15
5575 - "Hubert Collins almost did it in 03 without even trying. Was just trying to get a doe for meat when he shot the #2 in the world"

Curious - #2 what, muley?

20-Oct-15
Awesome moose!

20-Oct-15
....and it's a SHIRAS

• Sitka Gear