Trial153 12-Oct-16
rtkreaper 14-Oct-16
Bou'bound 14-Oct-16
KING 14-Oct-16
Bou'bound 17-Nov-16
huntinelk 17-Nov-16
cariboukid 27-Nov-16
23-Oct-15
Ok I know it is early, but who is going hunting with JHA in 2016? I will be up there again for my 16th trip with them. I know a few of you that are booked and looking forward to hearing from others. 2015 is going to be hard to beat but Dave and I are going to try and top it. See you on the tundra. Don't fear the reaper. Rory

23-Oct-15
2017 for me........... That place is great

23-Oct-15
Taking my son next august, he will be 17 and a senior in high school. Longbow for me, gun for him. He'd better get two cause I might get none.

23-Oct-15
Will be there for the last week

23-Oct-15
2017 for me

25-Oct-15
2017 for me too...sept 9th-15th

25-Oct-15
Sept 15-21st 2016 Sept 3-9th 2017

25-Oct-15
Hey Luke, looks like I will miss you guys again next year again but will be up the same time in 2017. Will be spending two weeks up there in 2016. Nice buck by the way. See you on the tundra. Rory Don't fear the reaper.

25-Oct-15
Oh Rory, the orange hat... Can I borrow it this coming week?

Actually, never mind, I have the orange bandanna you gave me, it will be in my pack.

I'll let you know how I do. ;

Whoever is in camp with Rory, maybe he will let you touch the orange hat. It truly is a piece of good luck!

25-Oct-15
Rich, sending you good luck from my hat!!! Rory

27-Oct-15
Rory, I was just clicking on this thread today when Richard emailed me. My hunt got switched up do to a couple of friends backing out last second, So I will be joining you in camp Sept. 3-9

28-Oct-15
Great news Luke. The caribou don't stand a chance with you, me and Dave in camp together. Any of your family going next year? See you on the tundra. Rory Don't fear the reaper.

03-Nov-15
15th-21st sept cant wait

03-Nov-15
I'm always envious of the guys who are going. I had two of the best hunts in my life with JHA. But now I just can't afford it, so I have to content myself with the memories.

TBB

04-Nov-15
I'm with TradbowBob..........an incredible experience that's done right from beginning to end by JHA. But, the price has gotten a bit out of reach and my income has dropped significantly. My daughter hunts now and says she wants to go with me someday so hopefully we can do that.

17-Dec-15
I had planned to go in 2016, but we will be moving back to Oregon this summer. Kind of hard to be moving and hunt with JHA. Plus I am pretty sure that I will get a Washington Moose tag this year. I have max points and will put in for more than one area this next year.

26-Feb-16

cariboukid's Link
Any of you folks interested in hunting with JHA during the 2016 season, I have one last spot left where I can fit a full group of 6 bowhunters. It is at our 1x6 with cook, which normally takes place at Lake Coursolles. Last year the caribou just kept coming and we did not have to move a single soul. It is also one of the best locations to hunt with a bow as it is just bellow the tree line with plenty of cover but at the same time has some nice open areas. It is a perfect bow hunting camp. I included our most recent footage of a hunt filmed for "The Zone" by Global Magnum (hosted by James Brion). It isn't a bow kill but easily could have been! Some of you will recognize Karl "The Guide"! Being this is my last opening left for a group in 2016, I am going to offer the hunt with a free black bear tag for each hunter booked off the bowsite. So in your pocket you will have a tag for a Trophy bull, a cow or small bull and a tag for a black bear. The hunt takes place September 9-15th 2016. Check out the video link bellow.

26-Feb-16

cariboukid's Link
Well that did not work out so great! Try this link to our website. The videos were just posted to the caribou hunting packages section that this link will bring you to. You have to simply scroll down from the top of the page and then hit play on one of the two videos. There are two episodes. The 2nd episode not only has some trophy bulls being taken but also has a double on two giant black bears. One of the best videos I've seen shot up north. Didn't do our cook Sandy any justice though! Anyone who has shared camp with Sandy knows she can cook up a terrific home made meal and they have her on film serving what I have to believe are some traditional Inuit foods such as caribou gizzards! Didn't realize anyone even ate them! None the less not what we would normally be serving our guest on a day to day basis..lol

http://www.jackhumeadventures.com/caribou-hunting-packages/

26-Feb-16

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
I hunted out of Coursolles last year and had an amazing hunt! Everything Richard says is true...it's an incredible bowhunting camp. We went 12 for 12 out of the camp last year. 11 of those were with rifle and were shot within the first 24 hours. Took me a few more days to get it done with the bow. I would go back to that camp in a heartbeat!

26-Feb-16

hardcore247's embedded Photo
hardcore247's embedded Photo
Here is another out of Coursolles last year. Almost a twin. We were right after you BigEasy. Couldn't glass 50 yards without seeing a gut pile when you guys were done. Took us a little longer but went 12 for 12 also. 7 with archery.

26-Feb-16
Hardcore, that's awesome! My buddy missed a big bear that was checking out one of those gut piles...they were everywhere haha what a great hunt and great camp. Elvis and Bonnie were incredible as well!

26-Feb-16
And hell of a caribou, btw!!

26-Feb-16
Team "hikes a lot" did do pretty well. I still can't get over that crazy Albertan shooting back to back bulls with different weapons. I don't think Id believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. Both dead within 50 yards of each other. I was there with "hardcore247". I'd make fun of his handle....if it weren't so accurate.

26-Feb-16

luckydraw's embedded Photo
luckydraw's embedded Photo
Had a great time there this past Sept. Im booked again with some buddies in 2017. Good honest people that really want you to have a good time.

09-Mar-16
I and 5 other stickbow shooters are going up there August 28th through September 3rd of 2017. We are doing the unguided hunt with no cook. I'm a pretty fair hand with a skillet so I couldn't see spending the extra cash.

Looking forward to the adventure!

Darren

09-Mar-16
You are in for a great adventure. Great operation.

01-May-16
The guys that are heading up this year sure have something to look forward to. For me not until next year.

02-May-16
If any of you guys are heading up there unguided, check to see what camp they are anticipating you being in before buying small game and fishing license. Very few ptarmigan around Coursolles and only pike in the lake.

A few guys did catch some smaller ones, but for me not worth the price of admission. Knowing what I know now I would rather have spent my money on a bear tag, or just sat at the crows nest and enjoyed the tundra.

02-May-16
Coursolles also has silver pike in the lake. Caught several of them up there 3 years ago. Pretty neat looking fish. Looking forward to trip 16 with JHA this year. Will be there for 2 weeks again this year. Love the experience and the people up there. Richard and Amanda and their gang are the best!!! See you on the tundra. Rory

03-May-16
Silver pike ??? What are they?

03-May-16
2018 for me and my two boys. Painful to have to wait that long, but that's just how it worked out. They will be 17 and 13 and hopefully they will be doing it with a bow with me. Booked it because of all the great reviews and it's one of the few hunts in August before school starts!

03-May-16
Laketrout, they look like a normal northern pike but they are silver. Rory

10-Jun-16
Anyone else making the trip this fall. We are just a few short weeks away. The boys are up north working on cabins already. Can hardly wait. Living room is starting to look like a mine field already with gear slowly coming out.

10-Jun-16
Silver pike = Muskie maybe??

10-Jun-16
No not Muskie

10-Jun-16
Luke...yes to the trek (3rd thru the 9th with Rory)and yes to the gear beginning to fill the back room. We 'decluttered' when we put the house on the market, and it's going to be 'recluttered' to the point that room will be off limits to prospective buyers. :)

10-Jun-16
Luke, as far as I know, me, you and Dwitt2n are going to be at Willies together. I will be up there a week earlier to fish, help out and goof off. Also starting to plan and get stuff together. See you on the tundra. Rory

05-Jul-16
I have not been to this site in years. Where is JHA?

05-Jul-16

wild1's Link
Jim -

Jack Hume Adventures, Quebec far north. Widely considered one of the best caribou hunting operations. See link.

13-Jul-16
Thanks wild1. Now I remember.

15-Jul-16
JHA is an amazing outfit and adventure. My hunt with them was about perfect. Everything was first rate, you just cannot go wrong with them. Just remember they cant control the weather.

Best of luck James

15-Jul-16
Cornfed, Hope to bump into Luke when I am in camp. I guess we will be up there at the same time. Pretty quiet on this site considering season starts in about 6 weeks. This will be my 16th trip with JHA and it just keeps getting better every year. Getting a little to civilized for my taste but showers and flush toilets ARE nice!! See you on the tundra. Rory

15-Jul-16
Rory, just got an email from Richard yesterday, I vary well may be with you during your first week, which is my second.... And YES Showers are nice! lol

17-Jul-16
I was hoping to see some more posts of guys going to JHA this year, must not be many bow hunters. Rory my hopeful goal is within the next 5 years to make it back up with JHA and bow hunt. My son will be out of high school but I will still have a teenage daughter which I fear will be expensive. Oh well, I can still read these posts and dream. Best of luck on your 16th trip. Hope you have cool nights, dumb bou and zero flys!

Best of luck James

17-Jul-16
next year !!!!!

17-Jul-16
....heading up with bow in hand & Rory & I will be sharing our 3rd camp. Been getting gear ready for a couple months now....

18-Jul-16
I am booked for 2017. The packing list has a sleeping bag. Any advice on which one to bring and temperature range?

18-Jul-16
the cabins are plenty warm at night

18-Jul-16
So, you just lay the sleeping bag out on a cot?

18-Jul-16
Korey...PM sent....

18-Jul-16
You guys are going to have a blast.

Rory, do not show the orange hat !

18-Jul-16
you lay the sleeping bag on the bunk bed which has foam padding

18-Jul-16
Rich, the orange hat is just between our crew!! Only so much luck to go around. We should all get together again and do a Newfoundland moose hunt. Looks like a good time. See you on the tundra. Rory

18-Jul-16
Your sleeping bags temp rating will depend souly on whether you camp with warm blooded folks or the guys I was with from TEXAS that thought 80 inside the cabin was cold....

19-Jul-16
Newfoundland sounds good.....fellow Green Team..?...

19-Jul-16
Tell me where you guys are thinking, I'm considering ,Effords .

21-Jul-16
Rich, anywhere you decided is good. I'm sure you have researched them and I trust your judgement. See you on the tundra. Rory

23-Jul-16
I'm ready. The orange cap came out of secure storage today. See you on the tundra. Rory

23-Jul-16
.. :) ..

09-Aug-16
Are you guys wearing any leather hiking boots or only using Muck or Aerohead type boots?

Thanks,

Gene

09-Aug-16
Gene...pm sent.

09-Aug-16
Just thought I would throw this to you guys going this year.

Richard and Amanda have some great up to date video on their FB page.

Very informative.

Right around the corner for you guys

09-Aug-16
...3 weeks.... :)

10-Aug-16
2 weeks and counting. Gonna miss you up there this year Rich. Wish we could all hunt together again somewhere. Gene, whatever boots you choose make sure they have an aggressive sole. Lots of wet and slimy rocks. Also remember you will be getting in and out of a boat alot, so waterproof is important. See you on the tundra. Rory

10-Aug-16
Gene

Rory and Dave have way more experience than me hunting the tundra. I was fortunate to share a camp with them. I wore mucks last year and even though I wore them a fair bit prior to the hunt, I really did not like them on the tundra. The next time I head to the tundra it will be with my meindel leather gortex hunting boots. I think they will serve me better due to them being lighter, better soles, and still waterproof. After the first day the mucks felt like they weighed 20lbs a piece.

Good luck to all of you heading to the tundra this year and be safe.

P.S if you get a chance to rub the sacred orange cap do it. That thing has magical powers. :)

10-Aug-16
I hunted there last year and boot type was a big question of mine. I hunted in my leather Kenetreks the whole time and had no need for a rubber boot.

10-Aug-16
Ive only been up twice, both times ive taken rubber boots. I can walk in my Muck's all day and unless you run into 24 inches of water in your 18 inch boots they work just fine. After serving in the military I laugh at any leather boot called water proof, Im sure they make better boots these days but it can get so wet up there i just wouldnt want to take the chance.

Best of luck.

10-Aug-16
I wore my mucks and loved them, though I find mine really comfortable.

11-Aug-16
I've done both. it's a tough call.

your feel will stay dry, regardless of ground conditions, if you wear rubber. you will probably be able to hike well in them unless you really are going to be spending the whole trip moving vs. getting to various places to set up.

your feel will have the support they need, regardless of ground conditions and amount of time on the move, if you wear leather. you will probably be able to keep pretty dry in them if they are any good and unless you are going to be going through really wet areas.

The issue is you never know until you get to your camp and you find out where/ how the animals are being hunted that week whether you will be hiking intensely or not.

personally, I say if you have good rubbers with a good ankle fit and good support (relatively speaking)you will usually be better off than trusting non-rubber.

if you could trim weight elsewhere take both.

if paying for extra weight is an option pay for the extra boots and it's worth the 20.00-25.00 it would cost.

11-Aug-16
If they still made them I'd suggest cabelas tundra boots. By far the best thing I've used up there. Basically its a leather boot with a neoprene liner. 14" tall and then then roll up to a hip wader. I've went places no one else would dream of going. The hip waders are great getting in and out of the boat in the worst places. The weight 4lbs for the pair. I've worn them the last 5 weeks I've been up there. Only downfall is they do get a bit warm if its nice out. But if its nice out I take them off when I'm glassing and let my feet air out.

16-Aug-16
Sure is quiet on this site considering season is starting in a week. Ready to go. See you on the tundra. Rory

16-Aug-16
Seems like every thread is quiet..... But my bows tuned. Broadheads are flying great. Packs packed (1st go round of about 3) Plane tickets are ready. Got my valid passport. Rooms booked. Boots have been waterproofed again. Just waiting for tuesday to hurry the hell up. Reminder to everyone.....contact your bank about being out of the country. Check with your cell provider about an international plan. The 3 bucks you spend will be saved in 1 call home. Make sure you have a valid passport. And get ready for some fun!

17-Aug-16
GOOD LUCK BOYS!

18-Aug-16
This thread might be a little slow, but my mind is moving a thousand miles per minute. I'm so excited that I'm have some serious trouble falling asleep at night. I'm so excited I can't stand it.

Any suggestions on making weight? I'm going the 9th-15th, so I want to make sure I'm prepared for any cold weather, but not over packed.

18-Aug-16
my advise on making weight is not a problem depending on they type of bow case you are using and the number of bows you take. A big double case will make it tougher, but don't sweat it.

if you are over 5-7 pounds it costs you $25-35 so who cares on a hunt that all in is going to be between 7 and 9,000.

it's not like you will not be allowed on the plane if you are a couple pounds over.

18-Aug-16
I always seem to bring a kitchen sink no matter how many times I pack and repack....leaving in 13 days and will do pack # 1 probably 2morrow. I'm interested to see if I've gotten even a little better.......

18-Aug-16
Koery...as for having trouble getting to sleep - good for you. You are going to an amazing place and I hope its' absolutely everything you thought it was. Good luck and enjoy the adventure......safe hunts....Dave....

18-Aug-16
Gave up trying to make weight years ago. Unless you are going to run around half naked for a week it is pretty hard to make weight. Just pay the difference and make sure you have at least 1 complete change of clothes. See you on the tundra. Rory

18-Aug-16
Reading this thread makes me wish I was back in camp Wth you guys.

Going to be fun!

19-Aug-16
Rich, watching you stalk and kill your bull with a bow on that little island is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in my life. The orange hat sends you lots of luck this fall. See you on the tundra. Rory

19-Aug-16
...between Rory, Tony and I and only two pairs of binoculars, it was look for 5 seconds then pass to the right.....I agree....pretty amazing to watch....

19-Aug-16

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Best boat ride back with you guys!

20-Aug-16

georgemcg's embedded Photo
georgemcg's embedded Photo
I had another bowhunter about 200 yards away when a group came by and if you look closely you can see an arrow in his heart. I didn't even know the caribou was shot I just happened to be taking the picture. Jack Hume Adventures is a great place !!!

20-Aug-16
Cool and rainy in northern Minn. today. Good for getting used to caribou hunting weather in Quebec. See you on the tundra. Rory

20-Aug-16

Bou'bound's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bou'bound's MOBILE embedded Photo

21-Aug-16
64#s Ready to get this show on the road....

21-Aug-16
Dont think thats the pic you wanted Luke :-)

21-Aug-16

caribou77's embedded Photo
Lets try this again...

22-Aug-16
Getting a huge touch of nostalgia and slight bit of jealously!! Making weight, rain gear,...these are absolutely horrible difficulties to have to overcome considering where you are going!!!! Went up in 1987 and over twenty times after that though latter trips were connected with a couple of outfitters. Always looked forward to Harrisburg and other winter outings. For those who have never been; beware that it can easily get under your skin. It was always difficult to sit, watch the sunset with a small glass of Johhnie Walker, a piece of sugar pie, and plenty of blue berries to go with the pie. The last I was there at Lac Pau the owner of Explo Sylva was the base area there. I believe that he may have been just appointed by the province as the director on Anticosta Island. Does anyone know any updates about the operations at Lac Pau? It was a very nice base when I was there in 2010.

23-Aug-16
Well Caribou 77 has left me all alone in Iowa so he can once again pursue Quebec Caribou. He should be in camp by tomorrow afternoon and will be sending me daily updates on his satellite pager. I think he is spending 9 days hunting this year and may be grouped with Rorey. As I get updates I will post them.

Best of luck to all of you going with Hume this year, wish I could be there!

24-Aug-16
First group of hunters is winded in at Lac Pau. Weather looks great for the morning so they are planning on flying out at first light.

27-Aug-16
Thursday King Lake was very quiet, Caribou found 4 shed antlers so was very happy. Friday they had great weather and caribou moved in. Said he saw 50+ bulls, got within 100yds of a group of 9 that included a B&C quality bull. Black flies are supposed to be out with a vengeance.

27-Aug-16
Got a message from Caribou77 this morning, BIG BULL DOWN! Not many details but hes got 5 days left for a bear.

27-Aug-16
Cool! Looking forward to a photo....

27-Aug-16
If you guys know any one else at King Lake I guess they are being overran with large bulls. I cant wait for stories and pics.

05-Sep-16

King Lake was over run with good bulls for sure. Here's a quick peek of the P/Y bull I arrowed. Full story and tons of pics of GREAT bulls to follow in a new thread. :)

05-Sep-16
Great Bull Caribou77!

Congrats!

05-Sep-16
Well Done.

06-Sep-16
That is an awesome bull. Did you use all your arrows?

06-Sep-16
Awesome bull, congratulations. Saw your video on JHA's facebook page and it is fantastic. (Not going to lie, I also went to your page and saw your other videos-wow, sorry for the creeping). Makes me want to head back there in the worst way.

06-Sep-16
Lol thanks Drop tine. I didnt even know they had the footage on their page yet! I'll get more loaded tonight. I've got a couple more big ones filmed.

Korey Wolfe..... since I havent wrote my thread yet I hate to give away all the info....but lets just say my shooting that day was sub par in a target rich environment.....

07-Sep-16
Way to go Luke!!!!!!!!!!!!! How was the boat situation??? ;^)

10-Sep-16
Change over was yesterday.....Dave, Rory....pics!?

11-Sep-16
Luke, Want some pictures of my totaled brand new truck??????? See you on the tundra. Rory P.S. Luke, Had such a good time Except for 1 thing, that I booked for the next three years.

11-Sep-16
Lol nothing wrong with that Rory. I booked too. What did you do to the truck?

12-Sep-16
Congrats

14-Sep-16
Anybody going up 9/21 - 9/27?

23-Sep-16
Another excellent hunt with JHA. It just keeps getting better every year. If I could go back again this year I would head up in a second. Thanks to Franko for sharing your recipes with me. Dees food was fantastic as usual. Looking forward to next year already. Great bunch of hunters again and Dave, your a great hunting buddy. Great trip except for my truck getting totaled on the way home!!!!!!! See you on the tundra. Rory Dave, you in for next year? Talk to Barb real nice!!

25-Sep-16
Rory...PM sent...

27-Sep-16
How about some more reports and photos from this year's fortunate hunters who got up to hunt with Richard and Amanda

27-Sep-16

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Heading home with this one

27-Sep-16
Beautiful polished rack Gene....congrats....which camp were you at..?.... ..Dave...

28-Sep-16
My buddy Jonah got one with them a few days ago. Wish I could have been there too!

28-Sep-16
Camp Ikirtuuq

28-Sep-16
Congrats!

30-Sep-16
Anybody want to buy a DeLorme? Just to complicated for this old guy to use. Still trying to figure out how to use the micro wave!! See you on the tundra. Rory

12-Oct-16
Is the season over up there. any last reports to tide us over until next year.

12-Oct-16
Well I guess I am up next...2017 in sept with JHA

14-Oct-16
Trip number 17 with JHA coming up next year. Can't wait. the trips just keep getting better every year. Richard and Amanda run a fantastic operation and the tundra keeps calling for me to come back every year. Absolutely love the adventures up there, and I've had quite a few!!! See you on the tundra. Rory

14-Oct-16
2017 for me as well

14-Oct-16

KING's embedded Photo
KING's embedded Photo
Hunted out of Sir James the 9th-16th. Saw about 15 bulls per day. They actually moved us to Corsoulles, after we had filled our tags. The other hunters got 7 bulls in the last day and 1/2 at Sir James.

17-Nov-16
Was the policy of one bull and one cow or small (I think it was <15" bull) in effect and is that still the plan for 2017

17-Nov-16
Because of the rule change, they offered us a few options to pick from to compensate. One option was the second , non trophy tag. I noticed for 2017 it is listed as a one caribou hunt with the option to purchase the non trophy tag.

27-Nov-16
In response to the above comments about whether or not the policy of one bull and one cow or small bull was still in effect: I do believe this new policy will still be in effect for 2017 but have not yet received confirmation of anything.

For the 2017 season rather than have the 2nd (non trophy) "management caribou" license included in all of our packages we have decided to make it an available option to our clients and so with that being said, we are taking the 2nd license out of all our packages and we are lowering our pricing slightly to reflect the savings of not having to supply everyone with the 2nd tag. Those wishing to take a 2nd caribou (provided that option remain valid) will be able to do so by simply paying an additional $500.00 to have the 2nd tag included in their hunt. The $500.00 will cover any and all cost associated with harvesting the 2nd caribou. Richard

• Sitka Gear