Moultrie Mobile
Wyoming---3rd week (Sept 5-11) too late?
Pronghorn
Contributors to this thread:
Archerdan 26-Oct-15
John Haeberle 26-Oct-15
MallardSX2 26-Oct-15
Buffalo1 26-Oct-15
otcWill 26-Oct-15
WoodMoose 26-Oct-15
huntnmuleys 26-Oct-15
midwest 26-Oct-15
Archerdan 26-Oct-15
John Haeberle 26-Oct-15
jims 27-Oct-15
26-Oct-15
I have never been on an antelope hunt but very much want to. I'm looking into going with an Outfitter (Bowsite sponsor) in Wyoming and what is open is for the third week of the season (Sept 5-11).

For you seasoned antelope hunters, what is your opinion on hunting this week. From what I read, the weather will play a big part in the overall chances of them coming to the water/blinds. I wasn't sure if going later in the season would decrease my chances of them coming into the water holes.

Your opinions/experiences are very much welcomed here.

26-Oct-15
You'll be fine with those dates. There really isn't a bad time of the season until you get into October.

26-Oct-15
Excuse my ignorance but why is October bad?

26-Oct-15
Archerdan- ck you pm's

26-Oct-15
3rd week is better than the first two

26-Oct-15
I've hunted them in Wyoming three times, always the last week of the season,,,and done well. JayG went with me once as well,,,go and have fun,,,,,,

26-Oct-15
that's a good time to be out. like said before, any of septmeber, before the bullets fly, is great. I like the mid to late part of the month, its sometimes cooler to sit in the blind then it is in august.

26-Oct-15
I'd rather go later than that. The antelope rut is a blast.

26-Oct-15
Thanks for the replies. I booked the hunt and am already getting excited. I have been wanting to do an antelope hunt for quite some time.

I will be up at Werner's Ranch and now let the research begin!

26-Oct-15
Why is October bad? Well, it's not, really, but for many units, the weather gets pretty unpredictable. Summers are great on the prairie, though. Lower wind, and the animals, I think, taste better, as they have more summer fat.

27-Oct-15
If you are sitting at waterholes it's almost totally up to the weather! Obviously if it rains in August, Sept, or Oct and there are puddles...the antelope will spend less time at waterholes. A long, hot, dry spell means money! I spent several weeks in Wyo this year and the rut where I was at didn't really kick in until around the 3rd week in Sept. Obviously in Oct the temps are a lot cooler than they generally are in August. You can generally count on some super warm 80+ degree days in August but I don't think you'll see many in Oct?...but again a warm, dry Oct the antelope will still be coming to water. Take a look at monthly ave temperatures and precip for the area you intend on hunting and it will give you a relative look at what you can expect.

• Sitka Gear