Heat 30-Oct-15
BoggsBowhunts 30-Oct-15
Heat 30-Oct-15
StickFlicker 30-Oct-15
BoggsBowhunts 30-Oct-15
Swivelhead 01-Nov-15
BoggsBowhunts 02-Nov-15
29-Oct-15
Was wondering if anybody has hunted Unit 41 or 39 for Mule Deer? I was looking at some of the OTC units and these caught my eye. Not looking for a recordbook muley and look at killing one to be a plus, just want to see different country and see some muleys/sheep. The season dates line up with Christmas break for my school so I would have over 2 weeks to hunt. If anybody has any info on these units or any of the other OTC's let me know, thanks.

30-Oct-15
I've hunted a bit in 41 and 39. Low density mule deer habitat but potential for a good buck if you get lucky. You might glass for days without seeing a buck but if you find them you will have a decent shot. Deer will probably be in pre-rut or just hitting the rut at that time. There are also some decent waterholes to try an ambush. I'd recommend the country on the W end of 41 where it meets the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. Hoodoo and Red Raven washes always have some deer. Coordinate with the folks at Yuma Proving Ground and you can hunt their East Arm which is in 41. Lots of country. Sheep and Deer.

You can also try for a javelina down near Wellton and Tacna in the farm fields and along the Gila River. OTC tags any weapon all year. Quite a challenge but if you are in the right place at the right time it can be done.

Good Luck!

30-Oct-15
Thanks Heat! I will look at the Yuma Proving Grounds. I've been looking on google earth as well and have a couple spots I will drive down and look at this summer.

30-Oct-15
I really don't recommend doing much out there in the summertime. The temperatures and the country are pretty brutal and you probably won't have anyone around to help if you get in a bind. If you do venture out there, make sure you have a decent spare tire or two and plenty of water. Good Luck!

30-Oct-15
Nick,

Maybe he enjoys and does his best work in 120 degrees!

30-Oct-15
Haha I guess I didn't think that one all the way through, Thanksgiving Break would probably be a better time. Lol!

01-Nov-15
Spent some time in 41 last Dec/Jan. Was surprised at the amount of pressure in the area. Primarily Californians hunting both deer and quail.

02-Nov-15
Better to deal with the Californians than the drug traffickers in 36a and b I suppose. Still looking for different units. The less pressure the better for me.

• Sitka Gear