Canuck 21-Nov-15
HerdManager 23-Nov-15
Bowbender 23-Nov-15
tobywon 23-Nov-15
Candor 30-Nov-15
lawdy 01-Dec-15
Tonybear61 02-Dec-15
16-Nov-15
Well, It finally happened, I had always hoped it wouldn't, but try as I might to avoid it, it did anyway. Last Tuesday morning the 10th, I had planned to arrive late and stay late. A doe bounced across the rode ahead of my truck followed closely by 2 shooter bucks. Proof I had guessed right this was going to be an eventfully hunting trip. Little did I realize what that event would involve. A made a quick .5 mile drive to my selected stand area, donned my safety vest and ventured in. Once the Summit was secured to the base of tree. I placed out the decoy and prepared to ascend the tree. As I climbed, my head was on a constant swivel trying to determine the exact spot for my ambush............... My eyes came open, and there before me was the top portion of the Summit, I could taste a hint of blood in my mouth, my chest was in agony, along with my hips, what had happened? With my tow ropes and back pack scattered about me, and in a state of bewilderment , I tried to gather my senses. I looked upward and there some 15ft was the bottom section of my stand still secured to the tree. What had I done? Standing was futile, the pain wouldn't allow it. Here I was, stranded at the base of my tree, hurting, alone and on a solo hunt. No one would even think me in trouble until the next day when a partner arrived to join me on the 3 day hunt. I lay there trying to make sense of it all When I was able to gather my senses, I reached for my phone to summon for help. I tried sending texts, 3 times it declined, on the 4 attempted I finally read "No network Emergency calls only". With little faith in it working I dialed 911 send. 3 Hours later I was in a Med-vac copter heading to the hospital in Tulsa. I'll finish this tomorrow with more details. Sorry It has take a lot out of me to tell this part as it is.

16-Nov-15
Good reminder for bad reasons. Heal quickly.

16-Nov-15

16-Nov-15
damn man.... sorry to hear about the fall.. good reminders...

please let us know what happened

16-Nov-15
Were you not attached as you climbed? Or, what failed?

16-Nov-15
Danny, rest easy and good luck with the mend. Thanks for taking time to post this and when your up to it - please let us know what happened.

16-Nov-15
Dang, Danny! I hope you are okay bud. This is very frightening. Please let us know of your recovery and state. I hope and pray you will be okay. Get well, my friend.

16-Nov-15
Prayers with you.

17-Nov-15
Heal up! Ditto on hearing more on what happened.

17-Nov-15

17-Nov-15
Prayers for you,get better soon!I had an accident myself back on Halloween morning.I was in a young sycamore tree with very slippery bark,in my Summit climber.I don't usually use that kind of tree,but it was my only option in that area.After sitting for 4 hours,I started climbing down.I got to the bottom of the tree(maybe 1.5-2ft. off ground). I unhooked my safety harness so I could step off the stand.As I was getting ready to step off,I noticed that my bow hauling rope was wrapped around my ankle.I didn't want it to trip me up while I was stepping off the stand,so I lifted my foot and tried to shake it off.Well...the bottom of the stand slid sideways and out from under me on the slippery bark. All my body weight landed on the side rail of the hand climber,caught me right up under the bottom of my ribcage.Everything went black for a minute or so.When I regained my senses.I was in a lot of pain and having a hard time breathing.Somehow I got my stand together and loaded on my back and made it back to my house.I was only about 150yds from the house,but it is all uphill.I laid down in my bed,hoping I would feel ok after a couple hours.When I got out of bed I couldn't even stand up,I was getting muscle spasms all down my right side of my body.I had to call the ex-wife to take me to the ER. After x-rays,CT scan,etc;pulled muscle,2 broken ribs,a LOT of pain! So... for the last 2 1/2 weeks I have been sitting around,napping,watching TV,reading about everyone else's hunts on the hunting websites.I missed the last and best 2 weeks of the rut!And I'm also thanking God that it wasn't worse! So be careful out there! It could happen to anyone!I'm not a new hunter,I've been hunting and climbing trees for over 40 years.

Bob

17-Nov-15
I made the right choose in stopping the story last evening, my typing wasn't up to the task at hand......On Tuesday and the days proceeding my adventure my anxiety level was a its usual high. I had high expectations for the 3 day rut hunt in SE Okla, I had even mentioned that to John Ryan in a private message. The 2 obvious shooters (Merles if you will ) that morning had nothing but elevated that anxiety to an off the charts level. I was locked and primed when I left the truck with gear in tow. I had chosen this little strip of drainage, primarily because of its east/west nature and the gentle south breeze predicted, as a cool front was set to move in over night bring rain chances and slightly cooler temps. Secondarily, because I had a score to settle on a giant 8pt I had muffed on the year before. I just knew "The Big Merles" would be moving again, If I got lucky, just maybe I could catch 1 or 2 cruising the downwind side of the draw. The pinch point at its widest was only 40 yards, so it made setting up in the center with a decoy a no brainer, with 20 yards to either edge and good visibility far past that. A little rattling, a lotta calling and I just might fill a couple of tags. (I'm never short on Optimism)........ I find it comical that the phrase "No Brainer" was my choose of words. Because that is what this story is all about, a brainless act, stupidity if you will............I preach weekly throughout the hunting season to my partners,"wear your safety gear", "it never gets in the way", "its not uncomfortable", "it only takes a second to fall", "do it for your family", "it can happen at anytime", these are just a few of the conversations we have, I know they get awfully tired of my constant reminders. So, I never leave the truck with out them seeing me throw on my vest, "Lead by example" I suppose............As I lay there on that hard ground taking in what had just happened I noticed not 3 ft in front of me what turned out to be the Tell Tale sign of what had happened, it lay in the form of my safety line and its Prussic knot. Good Lord, in my haste and over zealousness, I had failed to secure myself to the tree, it didn't entirely explain the fall, but it did tell me why I was on the ground in agonizing chest and hip pain.How in the world could I have made such a grieves mistake. However, I could deal with that later, I had other more pressing needs. I wasn't gasping for air, I could move both legs, even though my right ankle hurt some, my arms seems function able, my back and neck didn't feel out of sorts, I guess I had bitten my tongue. So I did what any man of Faith does at times like these, I pulled my backpack up and used it as a pillow and Thanked my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for sending a guardian angel to my rescue. The peace I felt knowing that I had survived a fall like this could hardly be matched, I thought. I rested for a brief few minutes and tried to stand, to no avail the hips would not allow me to push up, I tried pulling up, again no way, the chest pain hindered even that. I calculated my truck was just over 200 yards away, and I had all day. I vowed right then and there to God above I wasn't going to let him save me from that fall only to die at the base of that tree to a gentle night rain and hypothermia. I pulled one of the 2 bottles of water from the pack and took a few sips. One last little rest, then me and the water 0bottles would be on our way. At the truck there would warmth, protection, food if I needed it and hopefully cell coverage, if getting in didn't prove to be to daunting. I sipped another sip, grabbed the phone and sent the text again to Mark the only person who knew where to look. simply it read "I Fell". In a clearer state of mind I read the words and allowed them to sink in, "No Network service, Emergency call only", I must admit I was somewhat puzzled by the message. "Emergency calls only". I gave it a thought and dialed 911 and send. It rang twice, "Antlers Emergency 911 may I help you", hearing those words saved me a long and grueling drag across tough terrain. I gave her the details of my location and she promised help was on its way. one hour later a giant of a man came down along side of me, asked me my name placed his hand on my shoulder, "Danny, I'm here to help you". Again that calm God had conveyed to earlier had returned in the form of another angel and indeed I was going to be ok. From that moment on it was a series technical and professional actions that finally got me place into that Air-Vac Helicopter. Thirty-five minutes later I'm landing at St. Francis hospital via Clayton, Ok. I've always wanted to fly over that rough and beautiful Kiamichi country and get a birds a view, flat off my back in a med-vac chopper didn't do it for me............... I'm happy to tell anyone who cares, and wishes to see the truth, after 3 nights and 4 days in the hospital my diagnosis is this. I have 4 broken ribs, 1 cracked ankle bone, and a rather severe hip trauma and bruising. Again no neck injuries, No Back injuries, no internal injuries what so ever, no serious bone breakage, nothing guys other than what I have stated. minimal effects, Sore???? you bet I'm....................... Richard (Superman)Reeves fell from a horse and never walked again. Sonny Bono skied into a tree and lost his life, as did a slew of other famous people. I on the other hand a 6ft, (ashamed to say) 300lbs bow hunter falls 15 ft (measured) and I at the end of the day will walking away to hunt again, next year most likely, with just soreness and bruising. It's not supposed to be that easy, I should be much much worse. Guys, I can with clear mind remember my fall, not landing part but the fall itself. I went head over heels backwards, setting on the front rail of the upper portion, from 15ft. Think about it, what would that look like, what should the outcome have been, be honest. I could have landed on my head, rendering me dead or quadriplegic at the very worst. Broken this, broken that the list goes on and on. Even if I landed somewhat flat 300 lbs from 15ft massive internal injuries would be expected, I have none of that None of that happened. If not for the Grace of GOD ALL MIGHTY was I able to survive this fall to tell about. I'm a walking talking miracle and no none will ever be able to convince me otherwise. .............. I now know my message is to advocate for the use of safety devices for all hunters, expressing the need for them to always be on the guard for a fall. It does no good to wear a harness 95% of the time like I did, and not the one time you need it most. Secondly, the most important part of any hunting trip is walking through the door to your family at the end of each and ever hunt. If you can't do that then the hunt was a failure and not worth the risk, they desire better from us. No Excuses!!!! Lastly I have never been ashamed to proclaim Jesus as my Lord and Savior, It has never been more apparent in my walk with him than this week that is also my protector. Praise Jesus!!

17-Nov-15
Bob, You and I are kindred spirits of a sort. I too know the feel of broken ribs, heal quickly my friend.

17-Nov-15
Whoa you are extremely lucky I know that is hard to get but this could have ended a lot worse God bless and good luck Lewis

17-Nov-15
Good story. Thanks for sharing.

It is a good reminder that it only take one mistake for this to happen.

17-Nov-15
I climbed into my tree this last Saturday morning and noticed about an hour later that I had not secured the leg straps on my harness around my thighs. Had I fallen the harness would not have done much. In a hurry and not paying attention.

I also recommend that anyone who uses a climber they check out the stabilizing straps sold by a company at thirdhandarchery.com. These straps make your climbing stand feel like one piece and really anchors the stand to the tree.

I am not affiliated with 3rd hand in any way shape or form, but I do have a couple pair of their stabilizer straps and they do work...

17-Nov-15
Glad you made it out alive. My huntng buddy wasn't as lucky three years ago. He laid at the base of his tree from Saturday 5am til Sunday at 7 pm. Safety belts save lives ,however, my buddy and far to many others don't believe it. If you climb make sure you do your friends and family a favor and hook in with a harness, it makes life much easier for them. Glad you survived and hope you heal well.

17-Nov-15
LB, that's why I'm telling my story. it can happen when we least expect it.

17-Nov-15
Danny, I'm glad that you survived your fall without more serious injury and wish you a speedy recovery!

However, what exactly did happen to cause the fall if the bottom portion of the Summit was still up in the tree?

>>>>-------->

17-Nov-15
CurveBow

He wrote, "As I lay there on that hard ground taking in what had just happened I noticed not 3 ft in front of me what turned out to be the Tell Tale sign of what had happened, it lay in the form of my safety line and its Prussic knot.... I went head over heels backwards, setting on the front rail of the upper portion, from 15ft."

Sounds like he was not tied in and fell backwards while sitting on the climbing/shooting rail.

17-Nov-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Ok, here's a few other ways you can fall! Pic 1 cable rotted out Gorilla tree stands is now out of business for this failure

17-Nov-15

Pic # 2: climbing stick strap broke at clip. Closest hunting buddy fell from this climbing stick shattering his ankle 2 weeks ago.

You need the climbing lines

17-Nov-15
I am curious too, he also mentioned the upper part of the climber was on the ground with him. How did that release from the tree?

My eyes came open, and there before me was the top portion of the Summit,

17-Nov-15
I apologies!!! In my story I may have left the impression that my Summit failed me, in no way did that occur. I failed the Summit. I said mid-way through this was a story about stupidity and weak mindedness.. To clear the air at the height of my climb I made the fateful decision to maneuver the top portion of the climber around a 5 inch limb, an act I have done numerous times over the years. My thinking was with that positioning limb between the seat and platform portion would provide adequate cover for the long mid day set. The originally sin was not securing my carabiner to the Prussic knot, compounded by the fact that in my hurry to get started hunting. I horribly failed in clipping the Summit cable into a locking position. That Combination of grievous errors, spelled disastrous results. There was no way to avoid it, once I placed the slightest amount of weight on the front of the stand, it came apart hurling me to the ground. It was totally a man made, forced error on my part that need not have happened. I've been beating myself up over it for a week, now. It could have cost me my life, and probably should have. People ask me if I'm in pain.? I try not use that term for how I feel. Pain doesn't quite seem to describe it correctly. Very very uncomfortable is as close as I can get............. Pain??? Pain, Would be, not being able to hold my wife of 39 years again, Pain would be never being able shake the hands of my 2 grown sons and congratulating them on them being wonderful men, who I admire. Pain, would be never being able to squeeze a huge hug out of those 3 beautiful grandsons of mine. I've been saved from that, and for that I am most grateful.

17-Nov-15
Danny, glad you are okay. I read all these type of threads. Lost my dad one year ago to a tree stand fall. He continually refused to wear a safety harness. He sometimes wore a rope. On the day he fell, he had the rope on. It actually made it worse, creating massive internal injuries (it was tied around his waist).

I hunt alone almost all the time. I don't like to, but that is just the way it is right now. But because of that, I have begun implementing more and better safety processes every year: Ground to stand safety lines, I'm phasing out screw insteps that can rip the daylights out of you if you fall, and I have started texting my wife after both the morning and evening sit. It doesn't eliminate the risk. But I do want to minimize it. Once you have this tragedy strike you it sort of grabs your attention.

17-Nov-15
Glad you are recovering and,... thank you for sharing a valuable experience and lesson for all.

17-Nov-15
Every year some one gets hurt or worse, I am glad you are not worse, thank you Jesus! I broke one rib 7 weeks before elk season what you have is no fun but you have put it in a great prospective thanks for sharing. Wrap your arms around you when you sneeze!

18-Nov-15
Get better soon and thanks to all for sharing problems and stories.(makes you think what could happen)! Glad you survived and were able to give a wake-up call to the rest of us(and possibly save some ones life! I hunt with a guy who REFUSES to wear a safety harness. Nothing we say will change his mind but at least he mostly hunts out of elevated blinds now(due to mobility problems) I cant even step onto a stand now without looking at the cable straps and wondering if they'll hold. I think most of our stands are going to get chain replacements where the cables go. I already put an extra strap around the top of the stand and around the tree(just in case). I climbed a ladder stick this year(in the dark) that had only 2 of the 5 straps attached. I got lucky this time. Three were already dry rotted and hanging loose. Don't take anybodys word for YOUR safety! Check things out yourself.

19-Nov-15
Prayers for a speedy recovery Aftermerl! Tree stand and climbing safety was the subject of a thread I just posted on another forum. 90% of the time I hunt, I use 4 Lone Wolf sticks and a LW Alpha hang on. I've been using this system for 5-6 years now. Some of the straps are starting to fray. Should these be replaced? What about the bolts holding the versa buttons on the stand and sticks? Do these weaken and eventually fail over time? Just looking for experiences with this setup.

19-Nov-15
Chains and turn buckles for year around set ups is the only why to go. Replace all straps and all cables with chains and you will eliminate stand or climbing stick failures. Tree stand hunting is not new but using nylon to strap anything to a tree is catching on fast and IMO should be outlawed. Nylon straps are only designed for temporary use. I only use them to hold the stand in place while im installing it. Then they are replaced with chains and turnbuckles. At the end of the season loosen the turn buckles to let the tree breath and grow.

However what the OP is talking about is the human failure. I am glad he is here to tell his story, hug those grand kids! We all are excited about the hunt and we all at one time or another may make a mistake we regret. I can think of a few time times I sat up in the tree waiting on daylight only to realize my bow is still hanging on the rope at the base of the tree or that I forgot to put on my release because I wont climb a tree with it on. That could just as easily been forgetting to put my safety strap on or any number of mistakes we can make climbing in a tree. But we should all start with recognizing and removing the potential failures first.

19-Nov-15
For what it's worth... technical rock climbers have a rule of thumb that says your odds of surviving a fall go down by 1% for every 1 ft that you fall. That doesn't say anything about what shape you'll be in if you do survive.

Freak accidents do happen. This summer, in my town, a teenager fell off of a hammock and broke his neck. He is now a quadriplegic.

You just can't be too careful.

19-Nov-15

X-ray man's embedded Photo
X-ray man's embedded Photo
Two Oldman climbing tree stand failures of same vintage. These were made in Mexico and not made by current owners of the company. Fractures occurred at or near welding points. Their model #s are TSR-07

19-Nov-15
Glad you are ok. Dude, you had a safety line and didn't use it???? You committed the most egregious act of disregarding safety when climbing. Please spare us the "I was excited about hunting" blurb, we are all excited about hunting. It should be second nature to tie off before you climb. Every time!

I fully expect to die in a harness in a tree, but from old age.

Why are you praising Jesus, when he could have given you a little heads up before you climbed without fall protection? /:^)

19-Nov-15
Danny, Your story brings back memories. (Not good ones!) You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

1988- Homemade stand. No belt. 18' up. One minute I am putting my coat on for the evening hunt. Next minute the stand drops out like a trapped door and I am on my way down. The first 17.5 feet weren't bad. The last 6" sucked. Landed feet first and my body accordianed. (If that is a word). I laid on the ground in the fetal position, looking up at my collapsed stand and bow hanging on a tree limb. Blood coming down my face. I moved my feet and they worked, but I hurt and had trouble breathing. I thought I could wait a few minutes, climb back up the tree and finish hunting. (I was young, naïve and stupid). After 5 minutes of laying there without moving, pain was not going away. The reality hit that this is serious and I need to get out of there. (Much like you, I was hunting solo and no one would find me until at least the next day). No cell phones in the 80's. Life is going to suck for at least the next day. Do I spend it sucking in the woods or try and get up? I tried getting up. I could not just stand up. I grabbed the bark on the oak tree and "climbed" my way upright. I shuffled back to the truck, leaving a trail of hunting cr@p. I managed to get in the truck and drive home. Manual transmission= :(

I come into the house, laid down on the living room floor, and told me roommate to call Karen (She is a nurse I knew). Keep in mind, I am in full camo with rubber boots and face camo/bloody face laying on the floor. She came and told me there is no way she can touch me with the possibility of a back injury. Ambulance is called. I knew what was going to happen. I told my roommate to help remove my boots and clothing as I knew the EMT's were going to cut it off. He grabbed my boot and yanked. @#!&$#@. STOP! EASY! After rolling around I saved my clothing, but at what expense? The ambulance arrived and cut my off my street clothes and placed me on a back board.

20% compression fracture in a vertabrae. Eyebrow stitched. (This was split open as my face smashed into my knee as my body collapsed on the fall) I spent 3 days in the hospital and I was lucky. When you sit in a hospital bed for days, as tough as it might be, you realize how fortunate you are and come up with 100 ways where it could have been worse. It took a year before my body was close to normal.

I was fortunate. What could have I done different? Plenty and many of these things are part of my hunting routine. I was given a 2nd chance and I know it. There cannot be a next time.

Your story reminds me of what would have I missed had my 1988 fall been worse. Like you said, real pain is knowing how much your loved ones could have been hurt.

I tell you my story as readers do not need to make mistakes to learn from them. Use our experiences, however terrible, to learn from and not repeat.

19-Nov-15
I know this is not the thread that people want to read. An people will still shrug off. We all have to remember that we are at the mercy of our treestand and our selves. It is funny how people will spend hours shooting their bows getting their clothing in order or replacing it. But, when it comes to your treestands, you don't take any time. When I take my stands down after hunting season, I look at them before I put them away. I check them for any kind of damage before they go away. In late July, I get them out an inspect them again. Another thing, I don't trust the cabling and the straps. Yes, I do modify the stands. I get 500-750 lb. welded chain and stainless nuts and bolts for my stands. Yes, I would rather carry a few extra pounds in with me than being carried out on a stretcher. On my climbing sticks, I change the straps every 2 years. Whether they need it or not. When I was in the service, I had to learn how to make the prussic knot. Once I saw it had come out for safety lines, I remembered an made my own. I don't get on my climbing sticks without hooking up. Remember whether you are young and dumb or old and forgetful it can happen to you. An yes, IT CAN HAPPEN.

19-Nov-15
I figured second nature would be being grateful or just a compassionate human being, both of which are lost on Herd Manager. If criticizing me after I've already critized myself makes you feel manly and superior then knock yourself out. In the mean time I'll just pity you.

19-Nov-15
I fell 15 feet on Halloween. Spent a night in the hospital and have two compression fractures in my back. It could have been so much worse. God was looking out for me that day. It happened so fast.

So glad you're ok.

20-Nov-15
In my case a branch broke that I had grabbed with my hand while putting steps in the tree. I have been hunting out of trees for over 30 years and had never fallen. I should have been using my Linemans belt. Scary stuff

20-Nov-15

Canuck's embedded Photo
Canuck's embedded Photo
Jan 3 2015 was taking down my 7th and last stand. Fell from 5 feet up!!! Freezing rain made my screw in steps slippery, also didn't maintain 3 point contact. Fell sideways landing horizontally on right shoulder. Tore two of my rotator cuffs off the bone (total tear). 3.5 hours surgery, two beds of anchors and here I was. This in now week 34 following surgery. Shooting bow at 50 pounds and still taking physio and doing daily strength training. Oh yeah, ultimate cause of fall? NOT being attached from the moment you are off the ground. Now I use a 30 foot lifeline with prussic and am attached from departure through to a safe landing.

It is not IF it is WHEN you are going to fall.

20-Nov-15
After reading these stories, what do I do this morning.....leave my harness at the car....I realized this at my stand of course! I stood there cussing for a few minutes and made the decision to walk back and get it.......45 min detour and sweaty now, but I have my harness on and im ready to kill a big one!

20-Nov-15
Yes, I'm criticizing you. You are criticizing yourself also, as you should. You royally screwed up, and are very lucky to be alive.

Just irks me that some of the "I fell" posts get sort of preachy about how "it can happen to you". But a lot of us GET IT and take provisions to prevent this from happening. We ARE thinking about our families when in the woods, not the two shooters that ran in front of the truck. We think about our kids and loved ones who would be tortured forever by our injuries or death. Welcome to the club. I am very glad you are alive to become a member.

20-Nov-15
HerdManager, he is "preaching" to the guys NOT taking precautions. If you are using safety equipment 100% of the time then he's not taking to you! There are lots of hunters still refusing to wear one every time they are out.

I'd like to remind those of you that think a traditional tree harness is uncomfortable or a PIA, to try a rock climbing harness instead. It might make the difference for you to stay safe 100% of the time.

20-Nov-15
herdmanager, Maybe you should go back, reread all my posts again to make sure you got it right. I never made any excuses, just a description of what my thought process was. I've taken total ownership of if. I have long since in my life come to terms with the fact I'm a fallible man, far from perfect. I fear by your very words you have placed yourself on a lofty pedestal with no room for error. I pray you never experience what I and many others have. Life is full of dangers and it lurks all around us, not just in a deer stand. So beware, "Pride always cometh before the fall".no pun intended. Tread lightly my friend!! Crow tastes best with a serving of humble pie............... BTW: Your critisisms of me aren't what disturbs me, it's your Mocking of God, which saddens me.

20-Nov-15
Danny, thank you for being so open in sharing your story with this thread. I'm so sorry that some find it necessary to add insult to injury (literally) with their comments. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

20-Nov-15
Danny - thanks for sharing your story, as humbling as it may be to you, it is helpful to others. It is a good reminder to all of us to slow down and think before we act and make sure we're doing everything to hunt safely. Praying for your recovery.

--Mitch

21-Nov-15
Hey Herd Manager, I wasn't talking to you either!

I guess the whole article on treestand safety was a waste of time as well?

"It could happen to you" (not you of course!) is exactly the point of this whole thread. If it wasn't the case, why are so many hunters getting hurt each year?

What was the purpose of your post anyway?

23-Nov-15
I'm sorry, but this whole issue makes me insane. We have known for years about fall protection and how important it is. It's nothing new. If you climb trees long enough, you will fall. Period.

Making a conscious decision to climb without fall protection is the most thoughtless, selfish, narcissistic, self-obsessed, conceited, self-centered, egotistical act any hunter can commit. And I'm not sure I worded that strong enough. If you have family and friends that love you, deciding to risk your life for just a deer is the most unforgivable thing you can do. Imagine what their lives would be like if you were suddenly not there, or a quadriplegic. I mean really think about it. And you are willing to risk imposing that horror on your family to kill a stinking deer. A deer!!

There is no excuse. No "thought process" to explain why you think so little of your family that you are willing to risk your life and destroy theirs.

Sorry, it really makes my blood boil. And it's not just that people don't think. They do think about it, then they choose to ignore it, which is worse. It is a conscious choice. It's not a "mistake".

The OP didn't say, but I am guessing this was not an isolated incident. If you tie-off every time you climb, you don't forget to do it just one time. It's like putting on your seatbelt. You don't forget to do it. It's habit.

With that said, I am SO grateful the OP is ok and can learn from this incident. And I hope we all can learn that EVERY time you step off the ground you need to be tied to that tree, continuously, until you return. There is no other option.

23-Nov-15

Bowbender's Link
Herd,

"Please spare us the "I was excited about hunting" blurb, we are all excited about hunting. It should be second nature to tie off before you climb. Every time!"

It should also be second nature to identify your target before you shoot. Right? From your thread:

"I don't like shooting buttons, and usually try not to. This one happened very fast and I thought it was a doe fawn."

Got all caught up in the excitement, huh? Musta been asleep during the Hunter Safety class when they taught "IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET."

Lose the sanctimonious crap. It serves no purpose. None. Re-read your last post and think about self editing and removing it. The OP gets it. We all do. Your attempt at belittling and criticism isn't warranted. Actually, it's kinda petty and shows lack of character and class. Not what I would expect from you.

23-Nov-15
Glad you are ok aftermerl. The mind does strange things on occasion, especially the older I get. I didn't have an incident, but a couple of weeks ago, I was climbing up a tree with my summit climber as I have done hundreds of times before. I attached the rope at the base of the tree as I always do and started climbing. As I climbed up, I pull the rope with prussic knot up like I have done many times before. I got to the top and once the stand is locked in and prior to removing my feet from the climbing stirrups, I usually make sure that the rope and tether are as high up as they can be. Low and behold, I never attached the tether of the harness clip to the damn rope before ascending the tree. Never, ever did I do this before. Glad nothing happened, but made me think what if this was the one time something went wrong.

I have hunted the old baker style stands in the 1980's and I am fortunate that nothing has ever happened. Hunted stands when the wood was half rotted. Had a friend fall out of a pine tree years ago because he wasn't tied in. Shot a deer and got excited and fell. Compound fractured his leg, lucky that was all. To this day his boots are still at the bottom of the tree where the medics cut them off.

30-Nov-15
"If you tie-off every time you climb, you don't forget to do it just one time. It's like putting on your seatbelt. You don't forget to do it. It's habit."

I have hunted for a long time. Last year I left the bow on the ground beside my truck and drove to my office. I had never done this before. Something changed in my routine that caused me to do something so simple and stupid I would have never understood it if one of my kids did the same thing. I laugh at myself and we renamed the gate "the Bow Gate". My point should be obvious.

Humility eventually finds the arrogant and time honors them as irrelevant.

01-Dec-15
I gave up on tree stands years ago after a freezing rain turned a descent into hell. I also got tired of putting them up, deciding I was in the wrong place or the wind was wrong and moving them to other trees. At 70, hunting remote areas, loving to track on a soft snow, I prefer the ground. I see more deer from the ground though most are flying. Now I grab my longbow, throw on my quiver, my little Johnson wool daypack, and hunt. I wear plaid wool and Bean boots so I can sneak through the woods. My blinds are cobbled instantly from blowdowns and brush. I have a tiny piece of frayed dental floss tied to the tip of my longbow for a wind indicator. Had a buck walk literally 5 feet from me last week but I I am left-handed and could not turn turn enough to shoot as he walked around my left side. I was sitting in the middle of a clump of maple saplings near a run. I could have touched him with my longbow. Fun.

02-Dec-15
Yep no doubt natural blow down blinds are fun and do work. What I like to do ( if permitted in the woods you hunt) is to dig a small whole that allows me to sit on the ground with my feet, calves in the hole. Brings me lower to the ground with enough room for limbs to shoot. Place some the limbs branches in the right places and your game can be really close. So close you can touch them outside the blind...

Problem is blowdowns don't always occur along game trails.

When I climb tress (as I often still do) its using fall protection, clipped in from the time I leave the ground until I return. No exceptions, no excuses as the gravity switch is on 24/7.

• Sitka Gear