KY EyeBow 18-Nov-15
Old School 18-Nov-15
KY EyeBow 18-Nov-15
madtox 18-Nov-15
steve 19-Nov-15
Old School 10-Feb-16
bad karma 10-Feb-16
17-Nov-15
My vision has been in decline the last 2 years - come to find out, I've got a cataract and the Dr. is recommending a multi-focal lens implant. Kind of like having a bifocal/trifocals built in to your eye rather than them simply removing the cataract and requiring reading glasses going forward. Was wanting opinions of others here who hunt with a multi-focal lens and how that affects bow hunting - how does it work, being able to focus on your sight pins while simultaneously focusing on the target - just curious.

17-Nov-15
I considered having one last month for my left eye but went with a standard lens.

Cost was $2500 out of pocket above what Medicare and Tri Care for Life covered.

Apparently it works well for some but my checking showed lots of users that weren't happy with the multi lens.

Research before deciding.

Greg

17-Nov-15
I did standard lenses as well. My surgeon told me that I'd get the clearest vision with the standards, so I wear the sportclic readers around my neck for my close work. For a hunter, I think that's a good approach. I was looking through crushed ice before the surgery, now I have eyes like a doggone eagle. And my world is 2 fstops or better brighter post surgery.

Your vision with the standard distance lenses is perfect from 2 feet plus out. I don't find even the 0.19" pins to be a problem.

The multi vision lenses were an extra $4000 in my case.

YMMV.

17-Nov-15
My mom got them and loves them, but she doesn't shoot a bow.

I'd be scared to death that they'd mess up my shot because of where I naturally look.

17-Nov-15

17-Nov-15
Got both my eyes done a couple years ago for the same reason. I didn't do the multi focal because the Doc said not everybody can get used to them (had to remove about 20% of them and I didn't want to go through that). My distance vision is now perfect and I wear progressives for reading (my wife says my ugly mug is better with glasses on anyway) . Perfect for me. I do not wear glasses any more for hunting at all (used to wear contacts).

17-Nov-15
Wow! Have to remove 20%. That's what I call a contraindication.

17-Nov-15
If I was having cataract surgery right now, I would have the "standard" IOL inserted unless I had alot of astigmatism and I'd have that corrected with a toric implant. Some folks really like the multifocal implants, but I'm not so sure that they see that much better, or, that they've just spent 2500-5000 and they are DETERMINED that they will like it. This is based on the patients that I see every day in my practice. Hope that helps you!!

17-Nov-15
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I do have astigmatism in my right eye. So that would be a factor - not sure how big of a factor though.

17-Nov-15
Wife had both eyes done last year. She had bad astigmatism in one eyes, and got the toric lens for that side.

We studied everything we could find on the multifocals, and decided on the standard lens. Her doc suggested getting a strength just a hair less than the full correction for best distance vision. That allows her better vision down to about two feet without readers.

I ran into the same things as mentioned above regarding the cases of dissatisfied customers with multifocals. A lot of salesmanship involved in pushing the multi's, but when you read between the lines, there is the indication that the customer dissatisfaction numbers may be underreported.

I'll probably be having mine done in another year or two, my cataract isn't big enough yet to justify the surgery. I plan to get the standard lens with just a tad less than full distance correction as well.

17-Nov-15
My vision in both eyes were obscured because of cataracts. I was legally blind in one eye. Now after cataract surgery, I have better than normal vision. I am near sighted. I did not want to change a life time of visual habits and chose near vision lenses over distance vision. I wear glasses which I have worn for most of my life. I chose standard lenses, not the multifocal lenses. I don't believe that multifocal technology is mature yet. It will improve.

17-Nov-15
I got the standard lens about 4 mos. ago. Medicare & Supplement paid 100%.

Got an astigmatism that I will probably address in Feb. My astigmatism was a result of already having lasik surgery and eye reshaping 15 yrs earlier.

Still use low magnification readers as needed (normally low light situations).

18-Nov-15
I have multifocal contacts. Great for computer work and everyday. Absolutely have to come out for shooting the bow and hunting.

18-Nov-15
Grampus, that is another option I have been giving serious consideration.

I've also had glasses on every waking moment since I was eight years old, and started thinking about going for the near vision as the preferred one to have without glasses.

I spend much more time reading than hunting, and would prefer having my contacts in for best hunting vision anyway, fully distance corrected in the left eye, and about a diopter less in the right, so my pins or the front sight of my rifles are sharp.

I hadn't checked with a provider yet about the availability of that option, just assumed it would be possible if desired.

Any surprises, positive or negative, in making that choice? I've been trying to envision it in everyday life, but there always seem to be some unexpected results that pop up later when we make decisions.

18-Nov-15
Some folks also get near vision in one eye, and far vision in the other. The brain will correct, I am told.

I can still read a lot of stuff without readers, but do need them.

You'll be amazed at how much different the world looks after the surgery. Brighter, more vibrant colors.

18-Nov-15
Having cataracts removed a year ago and upon consultation with Dr. who is and has been very much aware of my passion for archery and bow hunting. He recommended distance lens only.

His concern was the near vision/bifocal might interfere with clear vision of the sights on the bow.

I could not be happier. Using readers for reading and computer.

18-Nov-15
Update - I just called the eye clinic and asked about the regular lens option for my left eye and the toric for my right eye. They are going to get back with me on the cost of the toric in my right eye since my cataract there isn't bad enough yet for insurance to cover it. Insurance will cover the regular lens option for my left eye since its so bad.

They were recommending lasic for my right eye and then in 5 years or so doing the cataract. I'd rather just do the toric now if it isn't crazy high. Beats spending $1,800 on lasic now and then having to do another surgery in 5 years to do the cataract. Thoughts????

Thanks for all the good info and input you all have given me. Many things I wouldn't have even thought of.

--Mitch

18-Nov-15
Without knowing the specifics of your case, it is really almost impossible to give you the advise you are asking for. I was under the assumption that you needed cataract surgery in both eyes initially. A clear lens extraction ( removing the crystalline lens and implanting an "implant") may be your best option in the Right eye but it will be alot more expensive than the $1800 for LASIK. Why not just have cataract surgery in the eye that needs it? There is no way on earth to tell exactly when a cataract will get to the point that you need surgery. Why have 2 procedures for your Right eye when one will take care of it at the appropriate time?

18-Nov-15
KY Eye Bow - maybe I was too wordy and confusing in my last post.

Here are the details - I've got a cataract on my left eye that is bad enough that insurance will cover the expense for that surgery - my initial post was asking whether to go with the multifocal or the standard lens

I've got terrible vision and astigmatism in my right eye along with a mild cataract (not bad enough for insurance to cover the surgery). The eye doctor recommended that I do $1,800 LASIK surgery on my right eye - to correct the vision and the astigmatism. Then he said in 2 or 3 or 10 years (whenever the cataract gets bad enough) he would do cataract surgery on it. 2 total procedures (LASIK and cataract)

My thoughts above were this - Left Eye - do the standard cataract surgery Right Eye - do the clear lens extraction and replace it with the Toric lens - rather than having LASIK on it now and then also doing cataract surgery on it in the future.

Hope this makes it a little more clear. No pun intended :-)

--Mitch

18-Nov-15
Mitch, Send me a PM with your current spectacle RX. I'm guessing that a clear lens extraction in the right eye will run you somewhere between 3-5K if you are paying out of pocket. Sort of depends on your surgeon and where he does his surgery.--John

18-Nov-15
Old School, I had cataract surgery in both eyes and multi lens put in last year. I am extremely disappointed. Mostly because the Doc and the lens company rep really talked up the benefits of the multi lens over the standard lens. They are not as advertised. Basically all they did was, make me far sighted instead of near sighted.

19-Nov-15
my wife just had it done it cost 6000 bucks for the best lens she was so depressed because she always wore glasses and still couldn't see well now no glasses and can see like a hawk I would reamed it .!! sTEVE

10-Feb-16
Thanks for all the input guys. Had my left eye done 3 weeks ago and went with the standard IOL. Just had my right eye done yesterday with standard IOL and laser touch up to correct my astigmatism. Can't believe how bright and crisp everything is with my left eye. Will take a few weeks before I'll know about my right eye. But I was seeing about 20/30 today, one day removed from surgery. Now if the weather will cooperate I'll get out the longbow and try to get used to it with my new eyes. Hopefully it won't have messed me up too bad.

--Mitch

10-Feb-16
Sweet. I was 20/15 on day 1 with my left, and 20/20 day 1 with my right eye. Went to a movie after they removed the bandages, since they told me to use it.

Get the longbow out and shoot some stumps and flowers. Best thing for it.

• Sitka Gear