Hiker2604 07-Dec-15
Hiker2604 07-Dec-15
ben yehuda 07-Dec-15
Hiker2604 07-Dec-15
ben yehuda 07-Dec-15
stealthycat 07-Dec-15
Hiker2604 08-Dec-15
18-Nov-15
Has anyone hunted this property? My buddy and I are going the Friday after Thanksgiving and try some mule deer hunting. I have read on different forums that is is crowded but I thought it would be a something different to do. we are planning on packing in and camping in the "back country" 2-3 miles from the truck. Any advice or past experiences here would be appreciated.

19-Nov-15
wow not one person? I guess it won't be crowded after all.

19-Nov-15
reply PM sent

07-Dec-15

Hiker2604's embedded Photo
My hunting buddy and I finally made it out to Lake Meredith for some mule deer hunting. This would be my first rifle hunt in about 12 years. The 6 hour drive from Dallas wasn’t too bad and there were only three other trucks in the parking lot when we got there Friday morning. The walk in was a lot harder than I thought. I had made some miscalculations on what I needed and the weight of my pack. Do the limited availability of water I packed in what I thought was extra water but it turned out to be not enough. My pack going in was 48 LBS and my rifle about 7 LBS well over the 35 LBS I had been training with to get ready for this trip and over the recommended 20 -25% of my body weight. This was difficult hike and we were not ready for how ruff the terrain was. The lower trail in the dry lake bed was full of cattails making the walking very difficult. We fought it for about 5 miles until we could not go anymore. Overall traveling was more difficult than expected the canyon walls were steeper, the flat areas in the lake and canyons were thicker and almost impassable. The walking in the areas on top of the canyons was not too bad but the hunting area on top seemed to be limited to walking the edges of the canyons. Water is available in the Canadian river but it is extremely muddy, has a salty taste and just getting to it is a chore. The landscape is beautiful and very different than the post oak woods of North Texas. We camped in the canyon just south of Evans Canyon, we wanted to be in a remote place but I would not recommend going in that far unless you are in extreme shape, the river is closer to the other canyons about 2-3 miles from Plum road and the canyon walls are not as steep. We only saw one deer while hunting, a whitetail doe about 320 yds in the bottom of our canyon. I don’t think I would have shot her if I could because I don’t think I could have packed her out. Overall it was great trip and I learned a lot about the country and myself, we will go again, just not as far in or maybe the area south of Plum road and with lighter gear. I’m not sure I would go during early archery season but maybe early November due to this looks like Rattlesnake country and I am not a big fan of them.

07-Dec-15

07-Dec-15

07-Dec-15

07-Dec-15
Thanks for the follow up. Looks like some demanding countryside.

What was the weather like?

07-Dec-15
we had planned on going the Friday after Thanksgiving but they got 3" of ice and snow. There was some snow still on the ground in the shade. The temp. while we were there was 50's in the day low 30's at night with a 15-25 mph wind.

07-Dec-15
Cool thanks. I know the weather in TX can get crazy. It sounds like fun though. Good luck next time!

07-Dec-15
lots of tracks around the river or a pretty spare area to deer hunt ?

any adventure is worth going on - it was a success in that light

08-Dec-15
yes lots of tracks along the river and in the dry creek beds in the canyons. It was a great adventure I'm just sorry I didn't do it sooner at 52 things like this are starting to get more difficult.

• Sitka Gear